Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Alaois posted:

Quoting myself from the last time Tom Taylor came up in the X-Men thread

That’s the most damning thing a person can say, goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I feel like this relative period of relatively good DC Comics has desensitized people a bit to just how loving bad DC Comics can actually be if we're putting Tom Taylor on blast like this. :xd:

I don't vibe with all of his work and, sure, you can only coast so much off the clout of salvaging the Titans...but the man has somehow managed to salvage the Titans. The loving Titans.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I dunno he killed off Chunk while writing Wally in the very same comic and didn't even have Wally react to it, so he's on my shitlist.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like "I'm not really vibing with this writing style" is a very mild complaint but I guess that's the result of not reading enough bad comics.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

BrianWilly posted:

I feel like this relative period of relatively good DC Comics has desensitized people a bit to just how loving bad DC Comics can actually be if we're putting Tom Taylor on blast like this. :xd:

I don't vibe with all of his work and, sure, you can only coast so much off the clout of salvaging the Titans...but the man has somehow managed to salvage the Titans. The loving Titans.

I mean, he's pretty much just doing New Teen Titans, again. We’re currently having our regularly-scheduled Evil Raven arc. I guess it's noteworthy for not being a trashfire like most Titans projects, but it's not exactly reaching for the stars in ambition.

In short, I think Tom T's work is aggressively fine.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
All this talk of day in the life of no plot movement thing makes me wish Zdarsky would take the same approach with Batman. Right now he seems on outdoing Morrison more than writing a compelling Batman and it just feels like "the stakes have never been higher....again" instead of having a Batman who is a human being or something. I know Zur en Arh Batman is supposed to be Batman without Bruce Wayne but it seriously feels like regular Batman is the same.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I strongly dislike Zdarsky's run and wish he'd try something different than the Great Value version of Morrison's run. I never thought I'd say that someone has run Zur-En-Arrh into the ground, but here we are. And now he's doing some weird "My OC created both Batman and the Joker" and I just wish he'd stop already. And that's not even getting into how the Bat Family gets character assassinated every time they appear.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
at least batman and robin is good. it completely ignores what is going on in batman and detective, which helps.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

at least batman and robin is good. it completely ignores what is going on in batman and detective, which helps.

One of the best books right now, easy. It is pretty interesting to see Bruce actually be a dad.

I still like Tom Taylor, but everyone is right that they are mostly just pleasant time wasters. Not a bad thing, but even his books I really liked have such weak endings it kinda takes the shine off of the runs. Superman Son of Kal-El was a good idea that just wasn't constructed we'll. I really wish it had bothered with more relationship stuff, like the good issue where they meet Lois and Jay is excited because she is a famous journalist, and less time on just generic Superman stuff.

Crazy that the man who wrote 100 middling issues of Flash is crushing Taylor in terms of quality right now. Absolutely everyone should be reading Williamson's Superman book.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I finished catching up on Mark Waid's Shazam comic. Normally what I tend to find irritating about modern comics is when it feels like the writing is based entirely around making up wacky concepts and big important lore world building around those concepts. I get why people enjoy stuff like Spiderverse, Venomverse, Old Man _____, Batman but also ______, 10,000,000 BC version of X, and so on but it's not really my thing.

Waid's Shazam can be a bit much with "Space T-Rexes and they have a weird bureaucracy culture based around paperwork" but it's presented more as a frustrating irritation while Billy deals with things like accidentally destroying his house or Freddy being bitter that he doesn't have his powers. It's more concerned with the characters and their struggles than just leaving it at "Here's something wacky and silly" or "Check out this epic lore" and it's more of what I want from superhero comics.

Incidentally, I also read the Golden Age DC books and enjoyed them for similar reasons. Less about being wacky and over the top epic and more "Here's a character and the issues they're having on top of being a superhero".

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Darth Nat posted:

I mean, he's pretty much just doing New Teen Titans, again. We’re currently having our regularly-scheduled Evil Raven arc. I guess it's noteworthy for not being a trashfire like most Titans projects, but it's not exactly reaching for the stars in ambition.

In short, I think Tom T's work is aggressively fine.

Is Raven written more like in the 80s comic or like in the cartoon? Haven't read a Titans comic in forever...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Is Raven written more like in the 80s comic or like in the cartoon? Haven't read a Titans comic in forever...

Kind of the latter, but - evil Raven episodes aside - she's more written at peace with herself and can indulge in emotions more. Also she's dating Garfield.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd say it's probably a happy medium between the two portrayals. Sort of the logical progression of where she was heading at times in New Teen Titans with a dash of the cartoon. Which makes sense as the cartoon wasn't a huge leap from her traditional portrayal in the first place, unlike Starfire. Kory is way more likely to ricochet between the two different personalities depending on if the writer was a fan of the show or the comics first. (There were those 'Tales Of The Titans' one shots recently where I was pleasantly surprised that the Starfire one leaned pretty hard into the more comics-esque portrayal of her)

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Well that answers why Outsiders felt liked a Planetary story lol

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Azubah posted:

Well that answers why Outsiders felt liked a Planetary story lol

Wasn’t that something that was pretty clear from the first issue?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

Wasn’t that something that was pretty clear from the first issue?

Yeah. It seemed pretty clear when they found the literal ship from that series and made it their base.

RIP Richard Dragon. Exiled to the forgotten realms with Zauriel and, I believe, the Bombshells.

Green Lantern is actually shaping up to be interesting and hopefully they find a way to properly incorporate all of the human lanterns given that it's been a long time since there's been a GL arc that has all or most of the human lanterns front and center.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

More like it was a parallel to Planetary, not that it was a Planetary story.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Roth posted:

I finished catching up on Mark Waid's Shazam comic. Normally what I tend to find irritating about modern comics is when it feels like the writing is based entirely around making up wacky concepts and big important lore world building around those concepts. I get why people enjoy stuff like Spiderverse, Venomverse, Old Man _____, Batman but also ______, 10,000,000 BC version of X, and so on but it's not really my thing.

Waid's Shazam can be a bit much with "Space T-Rexes and they have a weird bureaucracy culture based around paperwork" but it's presented more as a frustrating irritation while Billy deals with things like accidentally destroying his house or Freddy being bitter that he doesn't have his powers. It's more concerned with the characters and their struggles than just leaving it at "Here's something wacky and silly" or "Check out this epic lore" and it's more of what I want from superhero comics.
I always was of the opinion that Waid didn't really get his due from fans. It was always "Yeah, he had some good stories" then they'd gush over Geoff Johns project at the time. The guy has some really good work.

quote:

Less about being wacky and over the top epic and more "Here's a character and the issues they're having on top of being a superhero".
Isn't this basically the encapsulation of Marvel as a whole? The entire point is they're mortals trying to figure out how to survive while also running around with their super powers.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Well I guess that explains why I was liking nuDrummer so much more than the original: Jakita > The Drummer. Rather curious to see where this all ends up, and lol that The Carrier has a crush on Kate.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I hadn’t been keeping up on Lantern stuff, but I thought I’d give the new series a go. Pretty good so far. Cool to see Janelle Monae is a lantern now. Good for her.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Joe Fisto posted:

I hadn’t been keeping up on Lantern stuff, but I thought I’d give the new series a go. Pretty good so far. Cool to see Janelle Monae is a lantern now. Good for her.

I feel like Jemisin and Campbell would say "thank you" to that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Scott Snyder is heading a new line of DC Comics called Absolute DC. The article is very confusing on exactly what this will be though. Calling it similar to Marvel's Ultimate line, but also saying it's in the regular continuity and is akin to a New 52/Rebirth style initiative. I honestly don't understand why the need for this. I was enjoying a bunch of Dawn of DC stuff so can we not muddy the waters?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/scott-snyder-ultimate-line-dc-absolute-comics-all-in/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joe Fisto posted:

I can't remember her name but the lantern from far sector is back?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

X-O posted:

Scott Snyder is heading a new line of DC Comics called Absolute DC. The article is very confusing on exactly what this will be though. Calling it similar to Marvel's Ultimate line, but also saying it's in the regular continuity and is akin to a New 52/Rebirth style initiative. I honestly don't understand why the need for this. I was enjoying a bunch of Dawn of DC stuff so can we not muddy the waters?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/scott-snyder-ultimate-line-dc-absolute-comics-all-in/

Ok I think the idea is that Absolute series will be basically the writer’s baby, they’ll be allowed to go basically indefinitely telling their own story with the character without having to tie in with events or cross-media synergy or anything. The creative freedom of All-Star, but ongoing and specifically open to new readers who want to follow one series without a lot of crossovers, like Ultimate was supposed to be. But also somehow in continuity.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
right now batman is already doing at least three separate and mutually exclusive continuities that are still in the mainline. adding a few more will be fine, probably.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
There is no such thing as Bat-fatigue (apparently)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Joe Fisto posted:

There is no such thing as Bat-fatigue (apparently)

You only notice it when people turn on Batman and drop the whole line.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nah, I'm sure they wouldn't use this line as a means to publish more Batman comics. Highly unlikely.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

I can't remember her name but the lantern from far sector is back?

Yeah she's in Green Lantern as part of the resistance against the United Planets Lanterns

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Jo Mullen iirc. And yeah she has a fairly clear and distinct personality that's different from the other human lanterns which is really good. Simon Baz is still kinda there which is a shame.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

X-O posted:

Nah, I'm sure they wouldn't use this line as a means to publish more Batman comics. Highly unlikely.

I don't think they'd do that.

There'll probably be at least a half-dozen Joker and Harley titles for variety.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

X-O posted:

YOU, GET A SECRET HISTORY, AND YOU GET A SECRET HISTORY, AND IT'S ALLLLL CANNNOOOOOONN.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Lmao at the first Birds of Prey book just being a platform for Chuck Dixon to whine the dumbest foreign policy takes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao at the first Birds of Prey book just being a platform for Chuck Dixon to whine the dumbest foreign policy takes.

Helena being a hardcore Cypriot nationalist isn't wholly out of character, it just hasn't come up before now

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Xelkelvos posted:

RIP Richard Dragon. Exiled to the forgotten realms with Zauriel and, I believe, the Bombshells.

What's this about?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vandar posted:

What's this about?

Latest Outsiders issue.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Is this a new 3rd Richard Dragon since the start of this continuity?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's a good idea, but I'm not confident that in practice the line isn't going to be like Absolute Batman, Absolute Batman and Robin, Absolute Robin, Absolute Nightwing, Absolute Red Hood, Absolute Batgirl, Absolute Red Robin, Absolute Alfred, Absolute Gotham Knights, Absolute Signal, Absolute Orphan, Absolute Spoiler, Absolute Batwoman, Absolute Leslie Thompkins, Absolute Joker, Absolute Harley Quinn, Absolute Batman Who Laughs, Absolute Birds of Prey, Absolute Batman Brave and the Bold, Absolute All-Star Batman, Absolute Batman and the Outsiders, and Absolute Superman.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

It's a good idea, but I'm not confident that in practice the line isn't going to be like Absolute Batman, Absolute Batman and Robin, Absolute Robin, Absolute Nightwing, Absolute Red Hood, Absolute Batgirl, Absolute Red Robin, Absolute Alfred, Absolute Gotham Knights, Absolute Signal, Absolute Orphan, Absolute Spoiler, Absolute Batwoman, Absolute Leslie Thompkins, Absolute Joker, Absolute Harley Quinn, Absolute Batman Who Laughs, Absolute Birds of Prey, Absolute Batman Brave and the Bold, Absolute All-Star Batman, Absolute Batman and the Outsiders, and Absolute Superman.

Don't worry, it won't be those. Cass and Steph are Batgirls again so it'll just be Absolute Batgirl 1, Absolute Batgirl 2, and Absolute Batgirl 3. (or maybe Batgirl Redhead, Batgirl Blonde and Batgirl Black? Nah, that last one sounds bad...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

Now that's a SnyderVerse I think we can all get behind.