Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Snydehverse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

X-O posted:

Scott Snyder is heading a new line of DC Comics called Absolute DC. The article is very confusing on exactly what this will be though. Calling it similar to Marvel's Ultimate line, but also saying it's in the regular continuity and is akin to a New 52/Rebirth style initiative. I honestly don't understand why the need for this. I was enjoying a bunch of Dawn of DC stuff so can we not muddy the waters?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/scott-snyder-ultimate-line-dc-absolute-comics-all-in/

Didn't they already do this with the Earth One books?

Remember how that was suppose to be DC's Ultimate line.

Did it fizzle out and die?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It didn't really have enough of a light to fizzle honestly.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-O posted:

Now that's a SnyderVerse I think we can all get behind.

Please if it was SnyderVerse it would be called "Neck Snappingingly Good Comics"

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

X-O posted:

It didn't really have enough of a light to fizzle honestly.

It did take forever between releases.

That couldn't have helped.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Signal is such a weird character concept.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Roth posted:

It's a good idea, but I'm not confident that in practice the line isn't going to be like Absolute Batman, Absolute Batman and Robin, Absolute Robin, Absolute Nightwing, Absolute Red Hood, Absolute Batgirl, Absolute Red Robin, Absolute Alfred, Absolute Gotham Knights, Absolute Signal, Absolute Orphan, Absolute Spoiler, Absolute Batwoman, Absolute Leslie Thompkins, Absolute Joker, Absolute Harley Quinn, Absolute Batman Who Laughs, Absolute Birds of Prey, Absolute Batman Brave and the Bold, Absolute All-Star Batman, Absolute Batman and the Outsiders, and Absolute Superman.

where the gently caress is Absolute Ragman

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Roth posted:

Absolute Spoiler
Absolute Birds of Prey
Absolute Batman and the Outsiders

I would like to add these to my pull, thanks.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Bring back Batgirls.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Azubah posted:

Bring back Batgirls.

No, I like Cass in Birds of Prey hanging out with Big Barda too much, give us a World's Finest esque book that's just those two.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Check out Dick's shirt in the new issue to see a familar meme being shown.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Air Skwirl posted:

No, I like Cass in Birds of Prey hanging out with Big Barda too much, give us a World's Finest esque book that's just those two.

Sadly, unlike all other bat characters who can be in ten books at once, Cass is only allowed one book

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
They know Cass is so good if she showed up in all the books there would be no crime left.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Lol at Wally just leaving Titans. I swear this is like the sixth time it's happened.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Lol at Wally just leaving Titans. I swear this is like the sixth time it's happened.

He has to go and sit in a corner and cry in his own title, no time for fun heroics.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

The Last Call posted:

They know Cass is so good if she showed up in all the books there would be no crime left.

Is this Cass Cain or Sandsmark?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Cass = Cain, Cassie = Sandsmark. Alternately, we can start referring to Cass Cain as Good Cass.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
There is only one Cass and she's the best Cass.

Also best Batgirl ever.

Second place doesn't even come close.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I forget how many reboots ago this was, but has he still murdered a whole bunch of people?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

I forget how many reboots ago this was, but has he still murdered a whole bunch of people?

Unfortunately yes that's still canon apparently

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Jiro posted:

TwoPair posted:

Actually while I believe he still TECHNICALLY murdered them, it got a retcon where it wasn’t necessarily his fault from losing control and being emotional, there were outside (speed) forces that messed with him and that was the actual cause. So it still happened but he doesn’t really bear the burden of it anymore.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Jiro posted:

Nope, it was Savitar.

TwoPair posted:

You're like a year behind.

Cael posted:

Actually while I believe he still TECHNICALLY murdered them, it got a retcon where it wasn’t necessarily his fault from losing control and being emotional, there were outside (speed) forces that messed with him and that was the actual cause. So it still happened but he doesn’t really bear the burden of it anymore.

Nope, at the end of Adams run they did the same thing with the rest of the people that Wally did with himself in Heroes in Crisis. Both functionally undoing it AND closing a very stupid plot hole at the center of that awful comic. They actually just showed up again in Spurrier's most recent issue as a sort of minor plot point.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 17, 2024

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Did Savitar ever get a non-embarrassing design?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

He got a sick robe but he's still got the silly mask.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Sanctuary was still a thing however based on the latest Green Arrow where Waller first sent out Roy to get them and then Ollie after Roy

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

Hear me out, Batgirls and the Birds of Prey.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Azubah posted:

Hear me out, Batgirls and the Birds of Prey.

Go on.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Steph is the only one missing from the current book.

Cassandra and Barda are really great together. They’ve been my two favorite DC women for a long time, but I never expected they’d get along so well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Thompson writing Barda has the same energy as Ewing writing Galactus's mom, in that they're clearly having a ball going full on Kirby bombast.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://comicbook.com/comics/news/absolute-power-dc-new-summer-2024-event/#1

Absolute Power shows how Waller will use the strategic and military might of Failsafe and the otherworldly technology of the Brainiac Queen to steal all metahuman abilities from every super hero and super-villain around the globe, a threat so dire it will take the combined efforts of Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and the Super Heroes of the DC Universe to defeat it.

Absolute Power has been teased across the Dawn of DC initiative for several months, teasing a "Trinity of Evil" that will make a profound impact on the DC Universe. As we now know, this "Trinity" will consist of Batman's recent foe Failsafe, the recent Action Comics adversary Brainiac Queen, and Amanda Waller.

Ton of artwork in that link.

Lots of armor.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Last Call posted:

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/absolute-power-dc-new-summer-2024-event/#1

Absolute Power shows how Waller will use the strategic and military might of Failsafe and the otherworldly technology of the Brainiac Queen to steal all metahuman abilities from every super hero and super-villain around the globe, a threat so dire it will take the combined efforts of Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and the Super Heroes of the DC Universe to defeat it.

Absolute Power has been teased across the Dawn of DC initiative for several months, teasing a "Trinity of Evil" that will make a profound impact on the DC Universe. As we now know, this "Trinity" will consist of Batman's recent foe Failsafe, the recent Action Comics adversary Brainiac Queen, and Amanda Waller.

Ton of artwork in that link.

Lots of armor.

Oh good it's all the rejected concept art from Rocksteady's Suicide Squad.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Maybe they will finally kill waller

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Ok J’onn being in that form is just making me think they’re cribbing from this super old Elseworld / out of continuity mini where that was “magic light flashes, all meta people lose powers” and J’onn was stuck in his natural form and had Batman and Green Arrow and other non powered people training people how to be no power heroes.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cael posted:

Ok J’onn being in that form is just making me think they’re cribbing from this super old Elseworld / out of continuity mini where that was “magic light flashes, all meta people lose powers” and J’onn was stuck in his natural form and had Batman and Green Arrow and other non powered people training people how to be no power heroes.

JLA: Act of God. Also Diana becomes Catholic? And Green Lantern loses his powers even though it's technological?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Cael posted:

The black superman costume is also from when he died and came back while still recovering his powers right?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

In the article it says that Depth Charge keeps the Atlanteans in line by threatening to take away their powers. What powers do Atlanteans have? Is breathing underwater a “power” for them?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Parallax posted:

The black superman costume is also from when he died and came back while still recovering his powers right?

Yeah, except he had a rocking mullet back then.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

catlord posted:

JLA: Act of God. Also Diana becomes Catholic? And Green Lantern loses his powers even though it's technological?
I guess if God wanted to define a 'power' as being anything beyond what an un-enhanced human being is capable of doing, He would have that authority, but there does seem considerable evidence that in the DC Universe, there are non-human forms of intelligent life. Kryptonians come to mind.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

In the article it says that Depth Charge keeps the Atlanteans in line by threatening to take away their powers. What powers do Atlanteans have? Is breathing underwater a “power” for them?

Magic and I think they're way stronger than a normal human. (Like Aquaman himself is stronger than normal Atlanteans still, but they're strong.

Of course they probably also need that strength to survive at extreme depths, so even if they could still breath underwater they need to stick to shallow areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Air Skwirl posted:

Magic and I think they're way stronger than a normal human. (Like Aquaman himself is stronger than normal Atlanteans still, but they're strong.

Of course they probably also need that strength to survive at extreme depths, so even if they could still breath underwater they need to stick to shallow areas.

But is that strength a “power”? Gorillas are a lot stronger than a regular person but that’s not a power, it’s just a trait of their species