Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Kind of the latter, but - evil Raven episodes aside - she's more written at peace with herself and can indulge in emotions more. Also she's dating Garfield.

It's been an even longer time since I read the original New Teen Titans, but my memory was always that the sarcastic portrayal of Raven in the cartoon was pretty much made up whole cloth, more based on Daria and the general "goth girlfriend" vibes of a lot of cartoons of that era. I recall the original Raven as being closer if anything to the cartoon version of Starfire, as fundamentally naîve rather than Gen-X world-weary and snarky. Certainly the whole grey skin was new for the cartoon, but maybe I am misremembering the cartoon as well in term of just how much of a late 90s snark queen Raven was; Flanderization and all that.

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wow, I can't believe we'll see Wonder Woman, Superman, and Batman team up. And they'll be with other super heroes. Maybe forming some sort of group?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Re: Ultimate DC

I have the same gripe with Marvel on this one. The costumes are too similar to the regular universe. They need to go hog-wild with the redesigns to really separate the characters. Batman but with more armor is just boring.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Joe Fisto posted:

Re: Ultimate DC

I have the same gripe with Marvel on this one. The costumes are too similar to the regular universe. They need to go hog-wild with the redesigns to really separate the characters. Batman but with more armor is just boring.

This is the regular universe.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Gripweed posted:

This is the regular universe.

Oh well that’s even less fun

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Parallax posted:

The black superman costume is also from when he died and came back while still recovering his powers right?

It's been used since then. I re-read the start of Rebirth and they had "Old" supes wearing it to help New 52 Superman.

RE: JLA Act of God: Linkara reviewed it on Youtube, and the basic impression is basically everyone going "Batman is just... the coolest. Why can't we be batman?"

If the "Last Son" isn't the Eradicator, I'm gonna punt somebody.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
JLA: Act of God was definitely God awful.

Diana due to her background coming to worship the Christian God while being a rather pitiful person is defnitely up there as one of the key reasons.

Other reasons include:
Clark becoming a self hating drunk mess.
Lois and Clark breaking up.

As Calax said, it's very pro Batman and makes everyone else look stupid and inept in comparison.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

JLA: Act of God was Doug Moench saying "do people remember me fondly? better fix that"

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Joe Fisto posted:

Oh well that’s even less fun

these are the costumes for the Mark Waid written event Absolute Power, not the new line that hasn't been officially announced

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

The Last Call posted:

Diana due to her background coming to worship the Christian God while being a rather pitiful person is defnitely up there as one of the key reasons.

Other reasons include:
Clark becoming a self hating drunk mess.
Lois and Clark breaking up.

As Calax said, it's very pro Batman and makes everyone else look stupid and inept in comparison.

As someone who adores Superman (see avatar), I think the portrayal / story for Superman there is among the worst I’ve ever read. Like even the JMS Grounded walking across America seems better in my mind than Clark being an absolute crying mess saying PAIN OH NO IVE NEVER FELT PAIN

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Cael posted:

As someone who adores Superman (see avatar), I think the portrayal / story for Superman there is among the worst I’ve ever read. Like even the JMS Grounded walking across America seems better in my mind than Clark being an absolute crying mess saying PAIN OH NO IVE NEVER FELT PAIN

I think the reason for Grounded was pretty dumb, but most of his interactions with rando's on the street was really good and really Superman (the girl who was going to jump and he just floated beside her for most of a day being the overall best).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Last Call posted:

The Norse gods do this in the prologue to the Prose Edda so this is clearly just a clever nod to mythology rather than an authorial screed

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
The idea of Grounded isn't even that bad, but it came at the wrong time.

We'd just had the New Krypton story that dragged on and totally outstayed it's welcome. What we need was a nice palette cleanse, old fashioned Superman story after that. We got Grounded instead.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pitwar posted:

We'd just had the New Krypton story that dragged on and totally outstayed it's welcome. What we need was a nice palette cleanse, old fashioned Superman story after that. We got Grounded instead.

I remember Kurt Busiek and Willow Wilson writing fill ins because JMS fell behind that felt far more appropriate

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Pitwar posted:

Grounded would have been better if it had allowed itself to be about New Krypton; about Superman's reaction to the second extinction of his people, this time deliberately at the hands of his adopted people, with nobody involved in that genocide punished in any way.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Remember in Grounded when Superman sets a drug house on fire and then gives a little girl an absolutely incomprehensible speech about how the drug dealers are Over There and not Here, and when Over There becomes Here then they'll be an issue

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Calax posted:

I think the reason for Grounded was pretty dumb, but most of his interactions with rando's on the street was really good and really Superman (the girl who was going to jump and he just floated beside her for most of a day being the overall best).

Wasn't that All-Star Superman?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Nope

I do think that speech gets a bad rap as it's more Superman trying to refute the sort of NIMBY mindset where we ignore problems that aren't directly in our 'line of sight' as it were. More saying that we need to treat everywhere as 'our neighbourhood'. It's just filtered through Stracynski's Clinton era, 'history is over' mindset.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 19, 2024

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I have really been loving most DC books lately so Absolute Power will give me a nice little break for a little while to catch up on some indie stuff I have been meaning to get around to.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Pitwar posted:

i don't actually remember much about New Krypton but I do remember being irritated at how all of the interesting status quo changes were wiped off the board so JMS could do Grounded. not that writers wanting a (relatively) clean slate for their stories is a new development

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

New Krypton’s one redeeming quality was a brief return to the triangle numbers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I remember liking the stuff Rucka was doing in New Krypton, but I wasn't reading a lot of the rest. I think maybe I was reading Supergirl too?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

It's both. All Star's is kinda just one page. Grounded runs for a few pages, but is really encapsulated in this

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I remember Grounded because someone mad an av for me of Superman spinning a basketball on his finger from when he went to Detroit and asked if he could “dial in”. And there was some weird metaphor about aliens immigrating.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Calax posted:

It's both. All Star's is kinda just one page. Grounded runs for a few pages, but is really encapsulated in this

That page could also work without the "it hurts my eyes" dialogue, maybe if they suggested there was a light on Superman simply for watching him and he lasers someone's spotlight out of respect for the person in crisis. Just a stray thought in appreciation. I like the "you're stronger than you think" page just fine, but I also love seeing persistent Superman here, who can comfort through his mere presence.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

He could have just turned it off at the wall rather than destroy someone's property recklessly. He can move really fast it wouldn't even have taken long. This is Zod in Man of Steel all over again

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I've been reading the recent Catwoman series. Early on, it's revealed that at some point Selina took in a group of wayward street youths and trained them to be thieves, and they all died. Like 15 issues later she buys a building where it turns out three young street thieves are squatting, and she announces that instead of kicking them out she's going to train them to be better thieves. I guess it has been established by that point that Selina is self destructive, but goddamn.

I generally feel like the series is too restrained by the idea that Selina is a thief. Sure that's her skill set, but you can apply it to other scenarios. Basically I'm saying Catwoman should go to space.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Gripweed posted:

I've been reading the recent Catwoman series. Early on, it's revealed that at some point Selina took in a group of wayward street youths and trained them to be thieves, and they all died. Like 15 issues later she buys a building where it turns out three young street thieves are squatting, and she announces that instead of kicking them out she's going to train them to be better thieves. I guess it has been established by that point that Selina is self destructive, but goddamn.

I generally feel like the series is too restrained by the idea that Selina is a thief. Sure that's her skill set, but you can apply it to other scenarios. Basically I'm saying Catwoman should go to space.

Based on the cover of the latest issue she took your advice!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Grounded was so weird
Remember he didn’t even finish it?
He got like five or six issues into it before leaving for “other reasons” (def wasn’t the huge outcry and critical lambasting of his first few issues) and it being left to Chris Roberson to finish it? (I miss Chris on big comics, he was really fun and good and always nice at cons)
And then Chris’s salvage job on Grounded wasn’t half bad.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Too bad Roberson openly spoke about creators having rights. :smith:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Based on the cover of the latest issue she took your advice!

She does go into space!

She also has nine lives thanks to a cat goddess.

Said lives are quickly running out due to repeat cases of death.

It's not very good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Last Call posted:

She does go into space!

She also has nine lives thanks to a cat goddess.

Said lives are quickly running out due to repeat cases of death.

It's not very good.

Actual space space or just like earth orbit? Because when I say Catwoman in space I mean it like X-Men in space. Getting in the middle of space wars and engaged to space royalty.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Gripweed posted:

Actual space space or just like earth orbit? Because when I say Catwoman in space I mean it like X-Men in space. Getting in the middle of space wars and engaged to space royalty.

She's outside the planet and has to hit up a satellite in a spacesuit. So, in space except not X-Men level in space adventures.

No other planets with different cultures and world ending threats.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Gripweed posted:

If you're looking for a Batman character in deep space, might I suggest Batman Off-World? It's very silly but surprisingly enjoyable so far.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Grounded was so weird
Remember he didn’t even finish it?
He got like five or six issues into it before leaving for “other reasons” (def wasn’t the huge outcry and critical lambasting of his first few issues) and it being left to Chris Roberson to finish it? (I miss Chris on big comics, he was really fun and good and always nice at cons)
And then Chris’s salvage job on Grounded wasn’t half bad.

Imagine talking about how much you love Superman, and how writing him is your dream job, and then you finally get the chance and you write... that.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
He has failed to finish a few books hasn't he?

Popular ones even, not for DC but other publishers.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

The Last Call posted:

He has failed to finish a few books hasn't he?

Popular ones even, not for DC but other publishers.

IIRC he's had a history of being rather slow if he stays on a project. He seems like a guy very good at "big picture" concepts, but gets messed up in the actual details and execution.

The two biggest I can think of off the top of my head is Supreme Power and Superman Earth One, both from the early/mid 2000's. Supreme Power got all the set up for Squadron Supreme, and six issues into Squadron he left. Earth one... well... that took what 10 years to get three arcs?

Calax fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 22, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
His Thor felt like he stopped writing before it was finished iirc.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

If you're looking for a Batman character in deep space, might I suggest Batman Off-World? It's very silly but surprisingly enjoyable so far.

IT's extremely silly and classic Batman. Man went to space to learn how to beat up aliens, but he can't but try and free an entire galaxy once he's there. And given that this is a Year One Batman, he can't exactly call Superman or the GLC to just roll up and take over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

I'm glad crispus died