Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Why are we mad about Shining Knight?

DC bringing obscure and/or queer characters just to kill them for no reason.

No one from heroes in crisis is coming out good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

Hadn't clicked through to the preview yet but now I'm just gonna nope right out

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Oh, they said they’re killing Shining Knight?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

No, but you can just picture SK in a nine panel confessional page right after, then with Batman over his body in a morgue on the next for the issue's title page.

Or Hi-C could be making a sharp left turn :)

edit: Beautiful bit of art anyway.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 16, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The least they could do would be to have Jon's mouth open in like shock or dismay and not have him loving smiling omg

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

What got you in the preview? Like a page ago you said you knew about Jon being aged up.
If it's the bit where he peeps his mom's boobs, an oedipal complex just builds character!

I dunno I thought maybe he just had a growth spurt, or at most maybe a few years? But jumping straight to 17 is too much imo.

I mean tbh I thought the whole "going to space" thing was stupid in the first place but I was willing to give Bendis the benefit of the doubt and see how things went... and I gotta say I'm not pleased.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Someone should have gotten to write a fun Lois and Jon and Evil Space Grampa Adventures In Space miniseries before this point and made the premise worth it.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Why are we mad about Shining Knight?

No one is mad about Ystin. Everyone is scared about Ystin being in HiC for the same reason anyone but diehard Harley fans would be.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I'm going to be mad when HiC ignores all of Demon Knights in favor of... whatever misery port Tom King has in store. I have wanted Ystin to show up in a modern book ever since Demon Knights ended, so I guess the monkey's paw strikes again.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

No, but you can just picture SK in a nine panel confessional page right after, then with Batman over his body in a morgue on the next for the issue's title page.

Or Hi-C could be making a sharp left turn :)

edit: Beautiful bit of art anyway.

It could be lying in a morgue or it could be in another cheesecake pose

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Darth Nat posted:

I have wanted Ystin to show up in a modern book ever since Demon Knights ended

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Do people other than DT read that?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I actually read that issue and it was as bland as I expected a Seven Soldiers sans-Morrison to be. Treating them like a standard superhero team completely misses the point.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
On the subject of not-stupid comics, Wonder Woman was fantastic this week and retroactively made me enjoy the earlier issues more and really excited about what Wilson has coming up next here. It's clear that the more she writes this, the better a handle she has on it all.

There's just a ton in here that I enjoy. I like that Wilson is taking the time to re-establish the Olympian gods to the WW status quo in a way that's actually workable. I also really like Diana's interactions with Ares here; we've seen so many permutations of it through the years...he's the great big evil thing she has to defeat, or he's the sly devil at her shoulder, or he's her mentor and flat-out ally...and it's just kind of nice to see that, even after all this time, there's still ways to make their dynamic fresh and interesting and yet somehow something that feels familiar to all of the above incarnations combined.

Finally, enough credit cannot go to Xermanico, the artist, and the colorist Romulo Fajardo. Like, I'm sorry to Cary Nord or whatever, but the first three issues were kind of miserable to read under his pen and the difference between those and these recent two were greater than night and day. It's kind of irritating that they're gone for the next two issues to be replaced by...two other rotating artists...but it's understandable with this being one of the few bi-weekly series we have left.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Everyone knew Jon would get aged up, but now suddenly people are all, 'gently caress you Bendis! You did the exact thing we knew you would be doing for for like the past 6 months and has been confirmed by previews and everything!"

okay

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I think everyone was thinking more like aging him up to like thirteen for fourteen, not almost an adult.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
wasn't he already like 12?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

enigmahfc posted:

Everyone knew Jon would get aged up, but now suddenly people are all, 'gently caress you Bendis! You did the exact thing we knew you would be doing for for like the past 6 months and has been confirmed by previews and everything!"

okay

Personally, it was kind of an out of sight out of mind deal. Like how I'm not reading HiC so I can ignore... all that bullshit. But I've still been reading Superman, and now that the things that I don't like are actually happening (or are imminent) now's the time for me to bitch about it like a proper comic forum poster.

enigmahfc posted:

wasn't he already like 12?

I don't remember exactly, but I do know it was a thing in the Super Sons book where he'd keep asking Robin to put him on the Teen Titans but Damian kept shooting him down because he wasn't a teen.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 16, 2019

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Roth posted:

Do people other than DT read that?

Sideways? Yeah, I'm a spider-man loser who reads like all the spidey books. So I read that too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

okay
Alternatively, "This whole thing sounded stupid when we first heard about it, it was really stupid when we saw it playing out, and now that it's said and done it's exactly as stupid as we thought it would be."

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

enigmahfc posted:

okay

Expecting something stupid doesn't make it less stupid. Jon was already artificially aged up to 10. Doing it again 2 years later to 17 is ridiculous and dumb.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Next issue jon will have a new red and black costume, move in to a school and meet a new Asian friend named ted

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Also read Justice League Dark because it's really gnarly and entertaining.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

Only barely. He spent a lot of time building up to something with the Roxxon Corporation in Ultimate Spider-Man that never went anywhere, that series started in 2000. I guess technically that resolved in so much that the universe was destroyed.
I am pretty sure Roxxon was controlled by HYDRA and created the Venom symbiote and maybe were part of the government group that created mutants in the Ultimate Universe and were generally the same Evil Corporation Behind the Scenes that they are in the mainline Marvel Universe? Was there something bigger he 'dropped'?

quote:

There was also questions raised in the first arc of New Avengers (2004) that I don't think ever got answered.
There was an entire series of issues during Secret Invasion that if I recall spent way too much time explaining all of that poo poo in what I remember basically being "Spider-Woman was the Skrull Queen the whole time, you can probably piece it together from that but what the heck, here's another issue flashing back".

Which is not to say that was worthwhile in terms of single issues, it's also not "never got answered".

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Also read Justice League Dark because it's really gnarly and entertaining.

JLD was extremely good and spooky this week.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I got totally mixed up reading Detective Comics and Batman Who Laughs this week. I never have a problem with getting multiple similtanious Batman narratives through all the books, but these both involving Alfred and Joker toxin stuff did the trick this time.

Also, Det's racking up fairly major deaths like it was Heroes In Crisis, though I don't see Leslie Thompkins being revived like any old dead superhero.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 17, 2019

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

I got totally mixed up reading Detective Comics and Batman Who Laughs this week. I never have a problem with getting multiple similtanious Batman narratives through all the books, but these both involving Alfred and Joker toxin stuff did the trick this time.

Also, Det's racking up fairly major deaths like it was Heroes In Crisis, though I don't see Leslie Thompkins being revived like any old dead superhero.

Detective Comics and Batman (comic) seems pretty similar right now that I was having a hard time figuring out which plot points happened in which books (in regards to Leslie Thompkins).
Also love that in both comics Batman just waltzes into Arkham and beats the poo poo out of inmate(s) whenever he wants.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Two new Wallmart comics: https://www.newsarama.com/43520-new-swamp-thing-and-flash-titles-coming-to-dc-walmart.html?utm_source=notification
Gail Simone and Clayton Henry doing The Flash
Tim Seeley and rotating artists (Mike Perkins and Joelle Jones announced so far) for Swamp Thing

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You know i really want to like goddess mode, and robbis art is crazy good, but zoe definitely definitely has the newbie problem of way too many goddamn words per page. It's just not fun to actually read

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

The normal response to seeing what he just flew in on should be shock or revulsion. Superman should not have to cover his eyes because he's looking over the shoulder with a grin trying to get a peek because loving hell. This makes me wonder if this is a clue that this isn't actually Jon but....somebody else, regardless of what the oncoming backstory tries to say.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bendis heard how popular this Joseph Joestar character is

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

bendis heard how popular this Joseph Joestar character is

Very niceu Damian-chan!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I know Heroes in Crisis isn't well liked, and I'm not reading it and nothing I've heard about it makes me want to. But this is pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/el_steevo/status/1085834416365146113?s=19

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

is there a reason writers need to drag in fun characters from JLI into their overwrought bullshit

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Booster Gold’s arc has been fine. He’s in over his head, and now Beetle is helping him while he’s on the lam.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I know Heroes in Crisis isn't well liked, and I'm not reading it and nothing I've heard about it makes me want to. But this is pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/el_steevo/status/1085834416365146113?s=19

I like how he went to the top of Beetle's head was the 'IN' rather than the bottles above the pizza.

https://twitter.com/nolapfau/status/1085961909617156096

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 18, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Parallax posted:

is there a reason writers need to drag in fun characters from JLI into their overwrought bullshit

Because most of those characters haven't been relevant since then so they're expendable.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Is it just me, or has Catwoman just been kinda boring?

Edit - Also, Batman just beating up everybody in Arkham feels all kinds of wrong to me.

Roth fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 19, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Roth posted:

Edit - Also, Batman just beating up everybody in Arkham feels all kinds of wrong to me.

The last arc was kinda hard to follow but it's basically been doing it's own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

I liked the first few issues of Catwoman but the conclusion of the first arc was a jumbled mess. It was a shame because I thought it introduced some interesting ideas but didn't resolve anything even when it rushed to a conclusion.