Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

?

Anyway, Bendis is saying he'll explain everything,

Ahahahahaha

enigmahfc posted:

Every question I ever had is not answered in one issue of Young Justice therefore

Bendis left dangling plot threads from the Clinton administration when he left Marvel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

I find this hyperbolic but also hilarious, gj

Only barely. He spent a lot of time building up to something with the Roxxon Corporation in Ultimate Spider-Man that never went anywhere, that series started in 2000. I guess technically that resolved in so much that the universe was destroyed. There was also questions raised in the first arc of New Avengers (2004) that I don't think ever got answered.

What's the Alpha Flight reference in Young Justice? Because Bendis killed them off panel in New Avengers in the third or fourth arc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I know Heroes in Crisis isn't well liked, and I'm not reading it and nothing I've heard about it makes me want to. But this is pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/el_steevo/status/1085834416365146113?s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Re: Heroes in Crisis

https://twitter.com/illusClaire/status/1090643330390728704?s=19

Although that is probably more the fault of the artist and the editors.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

He worked for the CIA, so he probably knows a thing or two about selling drugs

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

When will Dream and the Endless show up in Doomsday Clock

I thought Daniel Dream already had, or was that one of the preamble thingies?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

Man YJ was a weird read. I finished the book and was actually startled because NOTHING happened.

How did that startle you? Isn't Bendis' name right on the cover?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alan Moore does over use rape as a plot element, but I don't think it's ever written in a way that excuses it. Pretty sure he also loving hates the Vietnam war.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Oxford comma is the true path, but has this thrown MoS' world into disarray

Oxford comma is dumb, if I think you're claiming Ayn Rand and God are your parents you wrote a bad sentence.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

...what?

One of the common examples for why the Oxford comma is necessary is the sentence "I'd like to thank my parents, Ayn Rand, and God."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Whoever said that must've been quite an awful person

I don't think it's a quote from something, it was written for its obvious ridiculousness. Another common example is "at the party were 2 strippers, JFK, and Stalin."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tom Taylor is teasing something called DCeased.

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1095292876391469063?s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1095391609951154176?s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Jimmy married a gorilla.

That's probably only barely in the top ten insane things that happened in his life.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Batman in Metron's chair has to be a response to the whole "Batman doesn't sit" thing, right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The perfect balance between Frank's artwork and John's writing.

:drat:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1103333775050588167

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

---

And a collection of Steve Ditko Question and Blue Beetle comics, but check out the branding.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/03/09/road-to-watchmen-rorschach-nite-owl-question-blue-beetle/
:/

loving :lol:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Is Lana Lang going to be a stripper or is Lois Lane going to go under cover as a hooker?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Darth Nat posted:

Hasn't Kate... not actually ever been to war either? I thought she was at West Point when she got kicked out of the military.

Stolen Valor!!!!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

So, what are some good Silver/Bronze Age (pre crisis on infinite earths) runs to check out?

Off the top of my head stuff I'm curious about, Green Arrow/Green Lantern, O'Neill/Adams Batman, early Question, Wonder Woman when she's a Kung Fu spy, Kirby's 4th World stuff. Any other gems? What's good pre-crisis Flash?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

My money is that it won't be in the library, but the Robert Kanigher/Ross Andru Lois Lane run that was published parallel to (and crosses over a bit with) Jack Kirby's Jimmy Olsen is frequently fun and a really interesting artifact that deserves to be remembered for more than I Am Curious Black, it's all about Lois Lane, Crusading Social Justice Journalist in the early 1970s so some of it clangs to the modern reader but it's also trying and it's extra weird to see a story about redlining turn into a plot by Mokkari and Desaad.

They published black and white phone book collections of Lois Lane a while back didn't they, that's got to make it more likely they have digitized versions of it all ready.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

With DC universe vastly expanding their comic selection is there any pre Crisis on Infinite Earths Flash stories that are must reads? I want to understand what wonderful era we needed to return to, justifying completely making GBS threads on Wally West's character growth.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

People also didn’t like Bendis having Bucky claim he killed Hitler.

Just say that one was an early LMD or something. Hitler was also running around in early Fantastic Four being the Hatemonger (though that was only heavily implied, I don't think it was ever made official canon).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

I don't think this answers much, especially when the list of 'good Bendis' (Daredevil, Dark Avengers, Siege, Avengers Disassembled) and 'bad Bendis' ('everything else') given by the author doesn't really line up with anything that resembles a consensus here or at large. Then it talks in broad strokes about Bendis's dialogue and how he can't write action. I see why people ding him for both of those, but people in this thread were talking about him "never giving a poo poo" about continuity and therefore any mysteries in his book won't be mysteries because he doesn't give a poo poo and will never explain anything he doesn't feel like because according to past posters on here he actively refuses to read other people's comics or listen to them at creative summits or take notes from his editors or (I presume) just actively tells his collaborators he hangs out with and plays online video games with to shut the gently caress up because he's going to ignore the poo poo out their comics, because he is Bendis.

Enjoyment level for Bendis's dialogue or Tom King's poetry or Johnsian Literalism or Tomasi's Superman or whatever the gently caress Justice League is right now are all pretty subjective, and everyone has highs and lows, but I was specifically asking about the concept that Bendis is obviously going to ignore continuity and never ever explain anything about multiversal upheaval in a comic book series whose opening dialogue and first storyline title is about Crises and the multiverse because he "doesn't give a poo poo" about other people's comics.

The writer also says they haven't read Ultimate Spider-Man or Alias, and fair enough if you thought his X-Men was worse than Chuck Austin's I'm not going to blame you for not seeking out more of his work, but you can't really consider yourself knowledgeable about a writer if you haven't read at least some of the book he wrote for pretty much his entire tenure at Marvel.

Does anywhere have a full count of how many issues of Ultimate Spider-Man he wrote, including just Spider-Man when Miles was brought into the 616? It's gotta be over 300, right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

blast0rama posted:

I guess this goes here...

DC Universe started its drop of the comic catalog this week, and we’re now set through 2005.

I’m reading Jack Kirby’s New Gods for the first time (after falling in love with King’s Mister Miracle earlier this year), and holy poo poo it rules. It’s completely over the top comic greatness. I’m surprised that it flopped when it first came out.

Do they have the Jimmy Olsen comics it started in?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

blast0rama posted:

Yep! From a quick search, they have Kirby's entire run of Jimmy Olsen, all of Mister Miracle, all of the New Gods (and the '84 re-release), and all of The Forever People.

Only thing which seems to be missing is the Hunger Dogs graphic novel.

I'm quoting my earlier post from when the expanded comic selection was first announced, since the 4th world stuff is there, is any of the rest I asked about? also the old Lois Lane comics E&C mentioned?

Skwirl posted:

So, what are some good Silver/Bronze Age (pre crisis on infinite earths) runs to check out?

Off the top of my head stuff I'm curious about, Green Arrow/Green Lantern, O'Neill/Adams Batman, early Question, Wonder Woman when she's a Kung Fu spy, Kirby's 4th World stuff. Any other gems? What's good pre-crisis Flash?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Assuming they don't shutter it the service they'll probably add it later. Marvel Unlimited had a bunch of gaps at first, including stuff like having Uncanny X-Men, but missing large chunks of X-Force, so they would have some parts of major crossover events, but be missing others.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

He may have participated in the commitment of war crimes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1123581920787324929?s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I miss Bat-Dick so much.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I was trying to imagine, for example, a bigger name who would want Batman they'd throw him under the bus for.
Like, if Bendis wasn't already writing a Superman that sells fewer issues than Tom King's Batman, I'd say him. It could still be Bendis, he usually writes a bazillion books at the same time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ElNarez posted:

From previous interviews, the big finish was at #85 or thereabouts, with the last 15 being a coda to that, plus four to make up for tie-ins.

A fifteen issue coda is loving abominable and if that's why he's being kicked he loving deserves it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

Still waiting for the Bendis Zatanna comic so we can then experience Bendis dialog, but backwards.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

He is if it's Bendis writing! I don't know if this is literally true

It's not, that's what Foggy is for.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

So I'm seeing stories about this being retweeted by "real" journos so this could be turning into a shitstorm lol

If that leads to Tom King getting the full 100 issues that'll be hilarious.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Was reminded, making the new shipping thread post, that there's a special out next week starring DC's animal characters :)

What are the big animal characters? Krypto, Ace the Bat Hound, that horse Supergirl used to date, who else?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I really just wanted to remind everyone that Supergirl used to date a horse.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Sean posted:

I have a really specific question that I would like help with and I'm going to describe this as best as I can.

The Sandman is my jam. It's my favorite graphic novel series and I named my cat Morpheus. I have bunch of paperback copies but I got a hardback version a few years ago. I'm pretty sure that it was a 1 of 2 edition collecting half of the series but I can't find it in my amazon shopping history. It's a gigantic hardback edition with some kind of cardboard cover. It says "Absolute Sandman" on it but on amazon the absolute sandmans that come up seem to be way less issues that in what I have. I just wanna find the second (?) half of the same edition to just have the whole main series in a comparable format.

Does this request make sense? I would appreciate the help.

Sandman was 75 issues, I'm pretty sure nothing was printed that had the first 37ish issues in a single volume. I have Absolute Sandman 1 and it's like 20 some odd issues (it stops before Lucifer gives up on hell). I think there's 4 total volumes that collect everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's similar to, but obviously more extreme than, when writers are told which X-Men they can use for their book or whatever.