Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I'm going to be mad when HiC ignores all of Demon Knights in favor of... whatever misery port Tom King has in store. I have wanted Ystin to show up in a modern book ever since Demon Knights ended, so I guess the monkey's paw strikes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I actually read that issue and it was as bland as I expected a Seven Soldiers sans-Morrison to be. Treating them like a standard superhero team completely misses the point.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Even beyond the "won't someone think of the children!!" angle, that might not be the content you want in a title intended to appeal to people who wouldn't normally buy comics in a comic shop.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Android Blues posted:

"Heroes with PTSD undergoing therapy" could have been a great series. "Convoluted, slow-moving murder mystery that takes place after all the therapy already happened" is not.

I mean, given that, judging by previous posts, Tom King thinks that the height of insight into superhero trauma is "character that did PSAs against drugs... WAS SECRETLY DOING ALL THE DRUGS!", I doubt his version of the former would be very good either.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

What the hell is going on with that left leg/knee?

Superman's been skipping leg day, it seems.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Titans: Scissors, Paper, Stone

I remember kind of liking this a million years ago, but it might have just been for that one plot point where to complete the roster of iconic New Teen Titans archetypes, the Raven stand-in downloads a copy of Batman's personality into her boyfriend's brain. So you basically have super grumpy Batman running around with a bunch of bizarre teenage heroes.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Hasn't Kate... not actually ever been to war either? I thought she was at West Point when she got kicked out of the military.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I do like that in one of Tynion's final 'Tec issues, I think Babs points out how unhealthy it is that she took the name to honor her dead father who was nothing but terrible to her. Too bad nothing came of it, like, say, a good codename.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I'm just enjoying the Johnsian literalism of Arkham Knight apparently being an actual knight with sword and shield.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I did not enjoy Batman randomly hitting one of his kids once again in the latest Batman issue.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I've been of the opinion that King's Batman has been a real stinker, but letting him do all these interviews about his world-changing ending and then canning his ending is probably the worst way you could go about things. It makes it look like the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing at DC which... is probably accurate.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

site posted:

26yo batman with 6 adult children

Don't worry, they'll just get rid of Cass and Steph because they make Bruce look too old but keep all the Robins. Problem solved!

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Is this Leviathan related to Morrison's in any way?

Bendis' OC stole the organization from Talia.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

"We completely assassinated Wally's character, but don't worry, we have big plans for him! He'll be even better than before, honest!"

Time truly is a wheel in the world of comics.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

What a day to announce that.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I guess I don't really get the point of bringing that character in other than "Look! Here's a thing you recognize from your childhood!"

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I think he did a terrible Hawk & Dove title for the New 52.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

She didn't retire, she just decided to essentially get therapy and start trying to learn to do non-fighting things.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

There was a real nice moment in #3 with Cass and Signal, but I totally get thinking it's just okay or uneven (or both).

I've wanted to like the story and I do like the character moments, but I think it's really weird that he decided to start the book with a storyline focusing more on his do-not-steal OCs as opposed to the actual Outsiders.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I can't wait for DC to announce more Batman and/or Joker comics. There just aren't enough.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I can't believe they're doing the "make Nora Fries a ridiculous villain" thing again.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Whoever sat down and thought "You know what Tim's costume needs to set him apart? MORE BROWN" should feel ashamed of their words and deeds.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Tom King's Batman feels like he had these big ideas for the "important" issue numbers like #50, #100, etc., but only had enough story for about ten issues in between them and has padded everything out with the most boring, miserable bullshit imaginable.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I do really enjoy the juxtaposition of a Geoff Johns comic with fuckin' James Joyce quotes at the end.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Cass Cain should be the next Batman, but DC I'd too cowardly to do anything that cool.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Yeah, I think I still own the NML novelization and got about halfway through it before questioning what I was doing with my life that had led me to reading a Batman novel. It's not bad and does away with some of the extraneous plotlines (ask me my feelings about the Nick Scratch storyline), but it is ultimately a novel about Batman. I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you're just really into the idea of reading a book without pictures about Batman instead of the comics.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

There's some weirdo on Twitter that responds to everything the official DC twitter posts with "GIVE US WHAT WE WANT, GIVE US A JASON TODD SOLO BY DEXTER SOY" or some variation thereof.

Also, in other supremely confusing news, it looks like DC is launching a second Harley Quin and the Birds of Prey title under Black Label starring the movie lineup.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Is that one gonna have a black Dinah Lance?

No, it still looks like it's the comic versions of the movie characters, but I guess a unique book from the Azzarello one. No one knows if it's in canon or what the deal is anymore I guess.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Yeah, it's Cassandra Cain who has nothing to do with Cassandra Cain.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It really probably should have been Sin instead of Cassandra in the movie, or an entirely new character. It's so transparent that they wanted a PoC character and just chose the highest-profile one that is tangentially related to the BoP and Batman worlds and then just threw out all of that character's defining traits.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I can only imagine it's out of canon since there's almost zero reason for all those characters to hang out. Plus I think Harley's still on the Suicide Squad so she can't really hang out without first escaping from prison, and I can't imagine any of those other characters deciding to ignore that.

I think it's great that DC is trying to do more female led books but on the other hand I haaaate modern Harley Quinn.

Eh, Harley Quinn is basically like Batman at this point and can appear in 18 titles a month without any explanation as to how she's in Gotham and space and the bottom of the ocean at the same time. That said, it's crazy that we live in a world where Harley Quinn appears in as many books as Batman.

And yes, modern Harley is insufferable. I kind of want to read this title just to see how they get those characters to team up, though. I'm not sure if Cass will be, well, Cass, but apparently she's adverse enough to killing to steal all of Huntress' arrows.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

But Batman Joker is just the scariest and most dangerous villain who is a threat to everything because he has all the superpowers of both Batman and the Joker. Just ask the people writing Batman Joker, they'll tell you.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I don't really like the idea of a Batman that isn't one of Bruce's proteges, just because it feels like "I need someone to take over for me. I have a whole bunch of people I trained and nurtured to be just as good as I am. Nah, I'm going to pick this totally other dude."

But there's not really another good option for a black Batman I suppose, if that's what they're really shooting for. Even Duke doesn't feel earned since he's the most recent addition to the family.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I will only accept Cass Cain as the replacement Batman. Possibly in a partnership with Tim (I really liked Daimon Scott's Solo comic with them, OK?)

My man :respek:

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Wasn't Batwing originally a completely different person that wasn't quite as boring? I don't remember why they changed to Luke Fox.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

The first page has you nodding and the second has you going no, nope, no

So Alfred isn't so much worried that Bruce is punching the poor and mentally ill as he is upset that he doesn't go far enough and just kill them all. Got it.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Man I love it when the Bat Family all get together to get their asses beat and show how awesome the bad guy is.

King's Batman is so frustrating.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Also, "Punching Tim was actually secret code that told the Bat Family what to do" is :pwn:

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I'd love to know the story behind Azzarello's Birds of Prey book, since it started out as just a regular DC title, then got sent to Black Label, and then that second BoP title under a different creative team got announced, and now the Azzarello book is just an oversized one-shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I enjoyed The Last God well enough as a non-superhero palette cleanser, but it suffers somewhat from generic fantasy-itis. I was a little disappointed that it's another world populated by the Big Three of fantasy: humans, elves, and dwarves, except the elves and dwarves have goofy "unique" names. The monster design is pretty top-notch though, and hopefully they'll lean into that horror element instead of the "humans and elves don't get along" stuff that is present in basically every fantasy story in existence.