Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

OscarDiggs posted:

Maybe not fascist exactly, but "Yay Fascism" is catchier then "Yay Authoritarianism". It's been a while, but from what I remember all of the bad guys are huge Authoritarians and get away with it. The Comedian basically get's absolved for the vile things he did, Dr Manhattan get's to go away to the edge of universe to piss ball about with a new enslaved humanity to mess about with, and Ozymandias get's away with his plans, scot free, which is most of where my pro-fascist reading comes from. The only one opposed to all this get's melted by Manhattan and everyone else is to much of a melt to really care that much.

Ozymandias gets away with his plans, but he's left questioning himself and if he did the right thing, and left wondering what Manhattan's final words meant.

For perhaps the first time in his life, the world smartest man is left unsure of himself. He may have gotten away with his plan, but he's going to live with the knowledge that he might not have done the right thing. At least, that's how I've read it. :shrug: He might have 'won' but there's an implication he's broken by his own lack of confidence in what he's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

This might be a dumb question, but I've never really looked into the Legion before.

How long did Clark originally spend with the Legion? And how did he end up traveling to the future to meet them?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

McCloud posted:

Also, I'm a bit surprised they're playing the sudden shock twist in Batman straight. That's.....really, really not a good look on Batman.

What's the sudden twist? I've been out of Batman for a while now.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Demon Knights was rad and I was sad to see it go, even if it was getting worse.

Wasn't Animal Man and Swamp Thing pretty well liked among the New 52 stuff?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah, Harley is definitely not as overexposed as Batman, as far as the comics go. They've been shockingly good about that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I never subbed to the DCU app for the sole reason that it wasn't available on PS4, and that's what I use for every single one of my other streaming apps. Several of my friends never subbed to it for the same reason. I would suspect that the service would have been more of a success if they had actually gotten DCU onto the PS4.

Did they ever explain why it never got a PS4 app?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

nemesis_hub posted:

You magnificent bastard.

I’m hearing people saying Joker War is actually good? It’s not, right?

It's okay. It's had some high points, but imo it gets dragged down by feeling like a retread of Endgame.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

If Harley actually gets to go through with killing him, I'd say the story is a success.

Until they do the inevitable JOKER IN HELL storyline afterwards. :v:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

If Norman caused mass murder on the level of Joker, I bet Pete would pull the trigger if he had to. And if he didn't someone else almost certainly would. It's ridiculous in a world where people who are okay with sometimes killing, like Wonder woman, that the joker is allowed to live in this state. It's long past due for that character to go away for a while and not come back till someone has a new idea.

I mean, Batman #100 ends with Joker faking a death and saying he's going on a long vacation, so hopefully that means he'll be out of the spotlight for a good long while.

I'm also calling it now: When the Joker DOES return, he's going to kill Clownhunter off.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Same but Punchline.

Punchline is so friggin' lame.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Punchline seems like someone who watched the Joker movie too many times

That's basically her backstory. She's a college girl that watches a bunch of Joker stuff on Youtube, decides that WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY, and makes it her goal to be his new partner.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Bruce should just build a totally and completely inescapable cell in the Batcave that's completely impossible for the Joker to get out of and keep him there. :colbert:

Too bad he'd only be there for like three issues before the reveal that he has a GPS chip under a fingernail and now all the clowns are planning an attack on the Batcave to free him.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Madkal posted:

If we are going to go in on superhero costume stuff that is annoying mine is shoulder pads. Why do heroes need shoulder pads?

They look cool.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

It's true. Name five Titans stories that aren't Judas Contract or Terror of Trigon. (You could start with what feels like endless iterations of Who Is Donna Troy but it's not a super deep well, well-regarded Titans stories.)

The Titans are so hard up for quality stories that Judas Contract has been adapted like...four or five times now into other media.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Batman throwing his baddies into the Phantom Zone is a recipe for disaster. Just go watch The Lego Batman Movie. :colbert:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Ah, the Doctor Who approach to pacifism "It's OK if the hero arranges the deathtrap, as long as the bad guy is technically the one pulling the trigger"

I've recently starting watching Dr. Who, starting with Nine. I'm two seasons in and every couple episodes I swear I'm turning to the fiancee and going 'I thought the Doctor was supposed to be a pacifist?'

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I've got a copy of Saga #1 that I'm probably never going to part with, even though it's going for a pretty decent amount.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A rushed line-wide reboot that eliminated a lot of fan-favourite characters was a terrible idea but I don't think the comics from that New52 era were unusually bad, especially when you include some of the ones that started later like Grayson or Lemire's Green Arrow.

Fully agree. The idea behind the New 52 was terrible but there were a lot of really neat and quality books under the label.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I have to ask. Am I the only one who liked the azzarelo chang wonder woman run during new 52?. That is the run that got me back into comics.

It had it's flaws but overall I really liked it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

So how was Endless Winter? Worth a read?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Either Azzarello's Wonder Woman needed to be an Elseworld or the rest of the New 52 needed to be as drastically different as it was.

Speaking of Wonder Woman and Elseworlds...man, I wish they had done more with the Gods and Monsters universe. There was some neat stuff going on there that I would have loved to see more of. New God Wonder Woman was a really interesting idea.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

So, what, he wanted Dick back as Robin?

No he just wanted him dead. He tried it in Infinite Crisis and everyone else put their foot down on it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I'm more of a Marvel guy than a DC one, so I can't really remember any big DC events that are still popular. Death and Return of Superman? Crisis on Infinite Earths is important. I know Identity Crisis was really popular as it was happening, but my understanding is people really soured on it once it was over.

I should clarify, I mean in BSS, I know there's tons of people in the general comic Fandom who love these, part of the reason they keep doing them.

Final Crisis still good. :colbert:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

I want a mini-series of the hybrid superhero Earth that basically spun out of the Elseworlds where Batman becomes a GL. Also a return to the High Fantasy, almost everyone is magic, Elseworld the sorta, maybe got expanded one when DC tried to make a MOBA

I wish they'd expand more on some of the stuff the MOBA introduced. I loving LOVE the Arcane Green Lantern design from that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

What's the current status of the Blue Lanterns in the ol' DCU?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

RWBY/Justice League? I beg your pardon.

I'm not a RWBY fan by any means but I kind of like the art here.

The Bruce design is pretty fun.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I ended up loving that book. The first issue or two were dreadful, but by the end I was sad it got canceled.

New Superman was too good for this world. :negative:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

I remember Batman and Wonder Woman have used a ring before during the lantern war (Bats got Yellow, WW got Violet). Barry/Wally might've gotten a Blue ring before. I don't remember. But Green rings specifically, there might've been a time when Hal or someone did a mass deputization for some reason or another, but I also don't recall.

You're thinking of Blackest Night. Hal turned on the deputization function of the other Corps rings to bring in support for the battle against Nekron. Batman was supposed to get the Yellow ring (it had been going after him for a while IIRC?) but he didn't take it so it went to Scarecrow instead.

Mera got Red.
Lex got Orange
Scarecrow got Yellow
Barry got Blue
Ray Palmer got Indigo
Wonder Woman got Violet

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How was I am Not Starfire?

I know a bunch of fuckwits hated it but I'd prefer to not have to wade through their poo poo to find trustworthy opinions.

It was fine. Not great, but fine. The intended audience will probably get more enjoyment out of it than me, a cranky old person.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I'm discussing 'recent' (as in within the past year or so) DC stuff with a friend, and I've got a random question. Have Punchline and Poison Ivy met each other yet?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I know it's not uncommon for the Gotham titles, but it's an odd experience to be enjoying every other Wonder Woman thing more than the main title right now. Like, the Nubia book and Wonder Girl are both really great, and I especially love the renewed focus on the world-building Perez and his collaborators did on the Post-Crisis era stuff. I know it's not a totally perfect match for every viewpoint on trans identity, but using the Well Of Souls to introduce trans Amazons is a super clever approach and a great example of using existing lore in a refreshing and inclusive way.

Which book is this in?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

What is the plot of DC Dark Ages?
As Tom Taylor was supposed to do a Marvel AU series called Marvel: Dark Ages about the Marvel Earth where technology stops working.

It starts with Krypton blowing up as usual, but this time the rocket hits Earth during medieval times and the entire El family is on the rocket, not just Clark. Fast forward nineteen years, and the Kingdom of El has been established. Kal is obviously their prince, but they've also adopted Bruce after his parents, another king and queen, have died. The big question the first issue sets up is about someone sending assassins to take out Jor-El so I'm guessing the main plot thread is going to deal with that.

There's also the twist dropped right at the end that Bruce is the bastard son of Jor-El and Martha. We're getting into some real royal fuckery here and I love it.

First issue is real good y'all, don't sleep on it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

If we're going from 'Black Supermen' to 'Superman of Color', we also have Chinese Super-Man:

And Spanish Superman!

(I am still shocked DC never tried to do more with the Gods and Monsters universe.)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

There's a poo poo ton of Wonder Woman fans, they just don't buy comics.

Maybe if DC had any idea what they were doing with Wonder Woman and didn't keep trying to upend her entire world.

Let's be honest, as far as DC is concerned the real trinity at this point is Batman, Superman, and Harley.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Ivy fans in shambles.

It's me. I'm Ivy fan. Where is this from?

Madkal posted:

That just reminds me of one of the best scenes from Teen Titans go to the movies, which if you have seen it you know what I am talking about, and if you haven't seen it you absolutely should.

TTGTTM is the best movie DC has done in like, decades.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

The running thing with Grifter seems to be him bullshitting with civvies all the time with stories that coincidentally sound like things that aren't canon since lying is just part of what he does.

That said, the DC Vampires universe is now part of the multiverse such that there's basically now two vampire earths. One based on Batman: Red Rain (Earth-43) and now one that's the Earth of DC vs. Vampires (Earth-63).

And yes, as a result of Dark Crisis or whatever, the multiverse is back in full force without limits as it was pre-Crisis as shown in Dark Crisis: Big Bang.

Of note, Jurassic League got one of the slots that was previous left unknown. Same with DC: Mech. The other slots for the ones that were left unknown were filled by DC Bombshells, a seemingly forthcoming title called "Batman: The Gargoyle of Gotham", Injustice (which takes a slot that was previously said to be the "most mysterious"). Expect all of this to be undone/reshuffled in 5 years.

There's some really random choices on here. Kind of weird they didn't give Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman her own universe.

And as always I'm the one person disappointed that Gods and Monsters isn't included on this. :v:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Also Power Girl is getting formally looped back into the DCU and might also be somewhat psychic now?

...I'm listening.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

All the "Kid X" or "Y Lass" or whatever names are really funny when you think about Spider-Man being 15 when he started. and then Bendis created Miles Morales and he was 13 when he took over as Spider-Man in the Ultimate universe. But when Barbara Gordon was a sitting United States Congresswoman and her secret identity was still Bat-Girl

Random question that I'm curious about : When Barbara was a congresswoman, which political party was she affiliated with?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Walla posted:

Tried out Doom Patrol since it was brought up earlier. They're basically like DC's version of mutants? Kind of? It was a very good issue and I definitely think I will grab issue 2 next week. I'm a bit broke right now.

Also grabbed Green Arrow. It was very weird and kind of confusing but I'm looking forward to more.

Doom Patrol actually came before the X-Men by several months and you can see a bit of Doom Patrol influence there in the early X-Men stuff.

Didn't take long for the two groups to go down completely separate roads though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Splint Chesthair posted:

(I always wondered why they never used “Captain Marvelous” but google says Power Rangers snatched up that name a decade ago.)

site posted:

if captain marvelous doesn't look like prince or david bowie I don't want it

Captain Marvelous is the goddamn coolest.

Just the smuggest and smooth space pirate you've ever seen. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Darth Nat posted:

At least Cass lives on in BoP and Spirit World.

Also everyone should check out Spirit World.

What's Spirit World?