Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Also Donna's confessional may be the one I hate the most. Hijacking a character as a mouthpiece for you to poo poo on the character is so obnoxious. Thanks, King, you're the first one to point out how Donna's origin is hosed up because asinine writers like you only define her by her origin being messed up. All of that in the sordid package of a lovely understanding of archaeology and history to boot. 

Like the point of these confessionals is about these characters airing their traumas and Donna's trauma is...not even a thing. It's a loving reference to poo poo that happened two universes/reboots ago. "A confusion between two old storytellers who got mixed up," -- who the gently caress is Donna referencing? I mean, I know King is referencing Haney being confused by Wonder Girl not being a separate character, but what is Donna saying from her point of view as a character? 

It's fourth wall breaking nonsense without any strong themes or storytelling or character insight attached to it. Just baby's first Donna Troy opinion shoved out of Donna's throat.

I disliked the confession for a similar but different reason, as I read it as a commentary about Booster and Harley each being under suspicion for the murders - two mixed-up storytellers. But if these confessions took place while everyone was in Sanctuary (again, a core piece of table dressing that the story has yet to provide), then the connection only works as Tom King breaking the fourth wall to reiterate his story to us... from within the story... to not reveal anything.

Also, I generally love Abhay Khosla's stuff, but gently caress that "discrediting Tom King but not really but what if??" garbage. All speculation and no homework.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

https://twitter.com/CertainshadesL/status/1086712802558005248?s=19

(Related pics further down in linked thread)

This and the recurring deaths of Halo in YJ:O are making me think DC's editors need a tighter content guideline than "depict whatever you want as long as it can be undone," at least in media aimed at families in WalMart.

Sheriff of Babylon, Batman, and Mister Miracle (and probably Hi-C from the looks of it) all went the "life is an endless hellscape but escapism keeps the demons at bay" route. Now Superman is plagued with graphic worries. Can we shackle him to Tim Seeley for quality control or something?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

ElNarez posted:

the molecules have decayed five days longer than they should have had that person died at the same as the others

How old is Wally supposed to be considering he was pulled forth out of the speed force?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Arkhams Razor posted:

And even if the above bit of speculation is true, I'm not really sure how that effects the underlying politics of what's depicted. Even if this is "Evil Hal," you still have the other Lanterns like the ones in Issue 4 standing up for his decision. It feels like it's setting up for a "bad apple" argument rather than tracing those actions to any sort of systematic police conduct. And if this IS Hal, you have to take the politics at face value, which...are also bad. This whole business echos back for me to Dick's use of torture in the first arc of Batman & Robin, and not in a good way.

Morrison's really hit or miss for me though, so it's possible I'll like the next arc better.

The story seems to be adeptly having its cake and eating it, too.

Odd how the story goes this route when GLC Rebirth recently had Hal ardently decry lethal means. Having said that, The perp was a literal slaver and condemned a space ark of countless children to imminent death by advanced age. gently caress that guy.

And then the Guardians jump on Hal for spoiling a larger bust in the process, which also makes sense, so everyone's right. Whee!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Naomi #2: literally walk away from the first issue's cliffhanger, return just in time to ask the same question but a little differently.

Three issues to get one (tentative) answer in a series centered on a brand new character, that's some impressive Bendis-ing.

It helps that the art's so pretty.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Bane stands at the entrance of a comics shop: "Excuse me. Wallet inspector."

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Does this mean King doesn't have Superman treating a gun as a throat lozenge while narrating that he never wanted to be a superhero? Did Interesting King come out to play on this one?

The Green Lantern was mostly prologue this month - writing checks next month's isse will have to cash!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Wonder Twins also says people tend toward selfishness unless incentivized to care about one another due to the Lex Luthors of the world rigging economic and justice systems to put as many people on the bottom social rung as possible, but yes, "terrorism good," that was basically it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Aren't there are six more issues coming down the pipeline? The series was originally scheduled for six but got an extension.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Comic Book Herald has a great Superman guide, including standalones and his broader history.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Batman jokes that he found the hand in a dumpster and it could really be anyone's.
Any strong opinions about the Hill House / Black Label releases this week? I'm going to check out The Last God based on the endless raves I'm seeing online, including over its production values. Stepping up the print game is one way to distract me from digital... which was originally distracting me from print. *goes broke*

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Batman & The Outsiders and Justice League Odyssey are DC's undercover Really Good Team Books at the moment. I'm especially impressed at JLO's turnaround after spinning its wheels for a bit, but the latest arc is solid. BatO managing to keep Batman in the background and actually develop its cast needs to last as long as possible. And Ra's as a shadowy, deal-with-the-devil threat? Yes please!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage feels great in print. Black Label's square format is larger than any digital format I could reasonably find and looks fantastic. Finally, print DC issues with no ads! I appreciate this take on Vic who'll save people and harshly judge them -- doubly appreciate that Vic's allies openly call out his rigid worldview while supporting his drive to save lives.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I see a lot of DDC reactions but no recognition for Alfred conking a thinly-veiled MAGA hathead with a pipe.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Xelkelvos posted:

Tynion, if it's anything like he current run on Tec, is a bit more grounded. Less over the top stuff, but still a decent Batman read. No peaks, but no nadirs.

Tynion's peaks are anytime characters get a moment to breathe. I feel like Snyder and King have Bat on the verge of death every five minutes compared to Tynion, who let the Batfam play off of each other and learn and grow.

This feels like a good explanation for why I'm enjoying Hill's writing for Batman & The Outsiders so much right now. Put Bruce on the team's speed dial and otherwise let them do their own thing. I didn't mind Tynion making Bruce job to villains every so often just to give someone else a chance to shine. Hell, that's probably his SOP for "real world" training.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I generally enjoy his stuff, but I'm grateful we got "clever plotting and gags" Fraction and not "everyone says 'gently caress' until the TV contract ink dries" Fraction.

(An unfair take, but that's how I feel, okay)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Endless Mike posted:

Am I the only one reading Far Sector? Because that's some good poo poo so far. Jemison hasn't fallen into the prose-writer-writes-comics trap of over-captioning everything that happens a lot.

Far Sector owns bones!

I enjoyed the hell out of The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage #2 but uhh something was up with the politics of which characters died, and how.

I'm not sure how to articulate it beyond "this feels wrong/tropey to the point of laziness," but otherwise the production's so good I'm still in for #3. Can't get over how good a fat, square comic with no ads feels.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Does this come with a reboot of Green Lanterns, if so I'm in

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Fraction and DeConnick came over with Bendis and are killing it on Olsen and Aquaman.

How could y'all leave out DC's golden boy, Scott Lobdell? :cheeky:

Reminder that DC's kid and young adult graphic novels are great at distilling what's amazing about their superheroes and putting them in relatively continuity-free zones where they can smile, learn a lesson, not commit murder, and save the day.

Green Lantern: Legacy and Superman Smashes The Klan are two strong examples of this in terms of standing up for one's community - Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass goes there too with some Joker-tainted caveats.

Black Canary: Ignite, Shadow of the Bat (featuring CASSANDRA CAIN AND ORACLE), Catwoman: Under The Moon, and Zatanna and the House of Secrets all put their protagonists through a youth-sized emotional wringer but feel largely authentic about it (absent/abusive parent, homelessness) and tell good stories as a result.

The YA novel adaptations are alright, with Batman: Nightwalker having more visual fun than Wonder Woman: Warbringer, which definitely feels like a novel with pictures.

Comics for kids are cool.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

https://twitter.com/Sean_G_Murphy/status/1234568111690600448?s=19

I liked the first White Knight just fine, waiting on the second trade to hit libraries, kinda jazzed to see who the teams are for spinoffs.

Edit: my timeline was really upset about SGM, I took a closer look and... oh hey, he's got all the makings of a Milkshake Duck, how about that.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 3, 2020

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Roth posted:

I don't recall Superman specifically but it was definitely a pretty tone deaf move to have the free DC comic on a day meant for getting kids into comics with a comic that features popular heroes getting horriblt disfigured.

Ah, so Futures End, then.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Edge & Christian posted:

In Green Lantern, a character who had been around for 35 years goes crazy, kills a bunch of his friends, and is replaced by someone brand new. This isn't to say one was guaranteed to be good and the other bad, but it explains why some of the nuttier portions of fandom created Hal's Emerald Attack Team when they didn't forge Barry Support Squad in 1987.

Barry Support Squad: the wholesome, or at least old-timey, version of BSS?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Wonder Woman: Dead Earth is the real metal event of right now. Much better spectacle without everything being a pseudo-Batman or carrying a block of Snyder exposition on its shoulders.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dan Didio posted:

I kind of dug the idea of Soranik having to become a Sinestro Corps. member because it's a nice way to give the Sinestro Corps. something to do aside from growl and hiss at people, but as with most things Lantern shaped for the past decade or more, just a bad story from top to bottom.

Soranik gets some neat moments in Hal Jordan and the GLC (Rebirth era). One of the more solid runs.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Jessica Drew has a kid he can age up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GbCg71kf9g
And that aged-up new icon among superheroes shall speak in the tongue of Bendis.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Far Sector, Batman and The Outsiders, Justice League Dark+Odyssey, Jimmy Olsen, Wonder Woman Dead Earth, The Question, Injustice Year Zero, The Terrifics, Suicide Squad, and Green Lantern Earth One (I burned out on THE Green Lantern but Season One + Darkstars were fun) have all been good to me.

DC Universe can farm out its original shows and I'll be fine over here catching up on comics I overlooked but can read under one subscription - Lois Lane, Hawkman, Freedom Fighters, and Shazam have all been worth sticking around, to say nothing of runs from decades past.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 15, 2020

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

*consults rest of internet*
It would seem that the Tetris method of "erase their accomplishments and pile up their failures" is the only recognized form of discourse for DC.

Seriously though, the traditional tier list of supporting comics publishers has been Pre-Order Floppies At A Shop > Order Trades > Digital. DC's supposedly shifting priorities to more digital-first series, though it appears to be in pursuit of customers who'll double or triple dip on physical copies of a series that they first read piecemeal from week to week (Injustice set a pretty high bar for this strategy).

If DC Universe ever expands access internationally, that would help writers and artists, as talent has confirmed comics royalties come out of the reading activity on there.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

DogsInSpace! posted:

I heard you guys say Young Justice wasn't that great but how was the title with Damian Wayne and Superman's kid? That sounds like something kid me might have really been into.

If you are referring to Super Sons and Adventure of the Super Sons, you are correct, they rule.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rhyno posted:

I saw my old boss recently and he sas that vintage books are booming. They're pondering opening a third store, business is that good.

This sounds like a tangentially good sign for the continued survival of DC Universe's comics arm.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Humor? In superhero books these days?!

Russell & Byrne's Wonder Twins and Humphries's Dial H For Hero are two recent lighthearted romps. Dial's biggest strength comes from Quinones's excellent riffing on different comic styles. Batman Universe has a fair amount of humor and errs toward Good Bendis, plus Derington kills it on art. Fraction & Lieber's Jimmy Olsen series is a drat laugh riot, do not skip it, it deserves so much more love.

Over at Marvel, seconding the Soule She-Hulk run, it's great. Same goes for Zdarsky's Howard The Duck, which has plenty of super cameos. Spencer & Lieber's Superior Foes of Spider-Man holds up great, too. Kibblesmith & Ortiz's Black Panther vs Deadpool had enough zingers that I thought it was cute.

Valiant's got super-comedy in spades. Van Lente/Henry Archer & Armstrong and Asmus/Fowler Quantum & Woody, recommendable in and of themselves, collide in The Delinquents, a fantastic humor crossover. Your mileage may vary in their respective follow-up series, which I thought were good to the characters but not necessarily as funny. Ivar, Timewalker from Van Lente & Henry is an excellent Doctor Who riff with plenty of humor and Valiant heroes popping in.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Okay but stick with The Terrifics while it's still here. Same goes for any Tom Taylor written stuff, he manages to take the most dour, cynical premises and infuse them with heart and humor. DCeased: Unkillables and At World's End can get downright wholesome in the face of a zombie apocalypse.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

BrianWilly posted:

We could also address the actual issue of why or how 100% non-superpowered baseline human Joker never stays imprisoned in Arkham after Batman 100% does his job and puts him away, which would absolutely be 100 times more of a pressing issue to the average Gotham citizen than guilting the one single guy in the whole process who is, again, actually doing his job to the tee...but um we live in...a society?...or something

Joker: Killer Smile did a good job showing how Joker plays mind games with everyone near him. As with humanity's relation to Superman, it's up to us to maintain a better world. Uh, until the body counts get so high that there's no one left alive but metahumans.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Vandar posted:

Bruce should just build a totally and completely inescapable cell in the Batcave that's completely impossible for the Joker to get out of and keep him there. :colbert:

Paul Dini describes this exact scenario in his autobiographical Dark Night: A True Batman Story. His endgame idea for Joker was that Batman would seal him in a brick room in the batcave. Batman would have to put up with Joker's running commentary as the price of containing him away from society.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Some comparisons between the issue in question and the collected edition, which changed some dialog: http://everydayislikewednesday.blogspot.com/2016/10/james-robinson-and-greg-hinkles-airboy.html?m=1

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Ram V has been loving killing it in comics. These Savage Shores is one of the best horror comics of last year and still a top-tier recommendation to just about anyone who enjoys comics. His turn on Justice League Dark was an inspired choice and I'm glad he's sticking with it and branching into Swamp Thing as well. DC would be wise to get a... maybe not exclusive contract, but a series of commitments from him while keeping him free to publish every cool non-superhero idea he has while he's still in his hot poo poo phase.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Finches can render the hell out of some monsters, otherwise yeah pretty forgettable.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/1346899759550918656?s=19

I held back on Future State and apparently missed nothing of value - anyone enjoy Swamp Thing, at least? The previews looked good...

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Tynion graduated to the big leagues a few years ago, Williamson is consistent but hasn't wowed me yet.

DC making me put my money where my mouth is with the Green Lantern books, no complaints here.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Siegkrow posted:

A person who is sexually, although not necessarily romantically, attracted to both sexes.

Going to be pedantic here and add that any two sexes, including and beyond the binary, can count.

It's a wide umbrella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

https://twitter.com/thedcnation/status/1366795439043993600?s=19

Whole lot of begrudging praise over the art team on this one, haha.

Place your bets on whether King will go the escapist route of his Superman or 1% of his Batman work, or write another chapter in the saga of "[hero] hates themself and wants to die, please buy something else if you would like to have fun."