Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The Question was great, and I am happy he gets a book again. Getting the 80s art team back is a nice touch (and always a good spin on not being able to get new talent at DC)

Between this and Last God, maybe Black Label won't just be for Batman and derivatives! :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I wish I could make DC more reasonable with the Black Label titles though. I think some people are starting to get overwhelmed by the weird glut of them. They definitely have a problem at my store where the first issue will do really well, but then when issue 3 rolls around it is dead and I am stuck with this awkward thing that won't fit in my dollar boxes.

At least Criminal Sanity had the decency to underperform right from the start.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

At least King Tut suffered severe head injuries so Bruce Wayne never had to risk his life of privilege.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Vincent posted:

So Year of the Villain is just Underworld Unleashed II?

Posthuman Lex is the worst possible take on a villain. Misses the who point of the character.

Who doesn't like tie ins that are just two panels with a Legion of Doom logo in the sky? In the more important ones they even look up at the sky, go "Huh", and return back to what they were doing.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just picked up the trades of Justice League International so I can reread them on the drive to Thanksgiving this year. Easily one of my favorite books ever. Moving to digital collections prevents me from facing my huge stacks of longboxes.

Every time I reread that series it always makes me wish modern team books were half as good. Characters with personalities and relationships with each other is so refreshing.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Is Darkseid still a baby?

How long until Superman revealing his identity is undone?

I honestly think this is the most boring and poorly thought out thing they can do with Superman. Because it doesn't matter at all, but also Clark Kent being Superman is an interesting counterpoint to Bruce Wayne being a thin veneer Batman drapes over himself to pretend to be part of society. I was honesty hoping Bendis would do a gritty Clark Kent Investigative Reporter thing when he came to DC. I have liked his stuff fine so far but it does feel like a missed opportunity.

What does everyone think about the 5G rumors so far? My take is that it could be a good idea, will have some really good books, the sales will drop like a rock on most books (especially the smaller ones), and they will chicken out and undo it before it actually develops into something people can get behind.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Bendis Daredevil, where Matt Murdock was publicly revealed to be Daredevil, is probably my favorite street level superhero comic run ever, but I instinctively think this Superman thing is a dumb idea.

This is one of my favorite comic runs for sure. Kingpin leaking it to the tabloids made it work so much better. It is in no way the same though, Matt had to deny being Daredevil while still being Daredevil but it obviously can't work the same way

Still all things considered Bendis is one of my favorite writers. For as much of his work is pretty forgettable (partly because of the volume certainly) he has so many things that are some of my favorite books ever. I can't think of anything he has done that is outright bad, so I am sure Superman will be fine.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Was it really? Interesting. I really need to dig those out for a reread

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I really like the two Harleys thing. Goes a long way to reconcile fun comedy book Harley existing in the same universe as the lovely Joker Lite version from Suicide Squad. I still remember that the month before Harley Quinn got a solo series she starred in a one shot where she explicitly mass murders a ton of children.

What a fun wacky character!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Two Harleys? Is this some Three Jokers bullshit?

It is more elegant than that, thankfully. The first Harley was the one from the cartoon who got fed up and left. Then some fangirl just stepped in and the Joker doesn't know the difference because he too crazy. Which, uhh.... Sure.

I had forgotten about Three Jokers being a thing. Hopefully the fall of Geoff John's means it will never be mentioned again. Man, I can't wait for 5G to come and bury DC for good. The were doing better with Rebirth but they are definitely starting to get stupid again.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Superman revealing his identity issue was a good read. Good job Bendis.

So annoyed that I didn't get my shipment until 4 yesterday, but UPS is always a poo poo show this time of year.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Speak posted:

The Perry White page legit made me tear up. It was beautiful.

The scene with Jimmy I also loved.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Roth posted:

I don't know if it was intentional or not, but the VR segments of Doom Patrol looking like War Machine MAX is the funniest thing this week.

More books should strongly remind me of Batman: Digital Justice. A perfect read from a perfect time.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Oh hey Tom King is doing Strange Adventures, a 12-issue series about Adam Strange. I wonder if it's going to be about PTSD and have miserable things continually happen!

Do you think he will attempt suicide at the beginning or the end in this one?

Like, props to King for bring the issue into the spotlight... But it has literally been everything he has written pretty much.

Honestly, after reading his Superman I want him to branch out more.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just read the last issue of the King Batman run. Glad it is exactly as I predicted.

Oh well. Still liked it overall.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Ma & Pa Kent being alive ALWAYS makes for better Superman comics.

Shots fired at All Star Superman.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Suicide Squad is exactly what it needed to be. I am liking it so much more than the previous series.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Excuse me, it is James Bartholomew Jimberly Olsen.

The cheek!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Madkal posted:

Superheavy was the experimental James Gordon as Batman arc (I think) and it had some okay ideas but didn't really go anywhere. I think they did the arc just to see if DC would say no.

The Detective Comics issues with Gordon were so much better. Seeing Robo-Batman actually help the police instead of just having half the issue be Bruce and the Joker hanging out. Mr Bloom was also totally forgettable.

Court of Owls and Snyder's Death of the Family and some of the best Bat books I have ever read, no question. Most of the Snyder run after that just doesn't hold up. While certainly perfectly serviceable, it is really obsessed with the things I dislike about modern batman. Snyder was so desperate to create a new Robin he tried it twice! The worst offender is using Batman's inhuman hypercompetence to cause two storylines to end with a twist that Batman has always known from the beginning, even though readers are treated like it is an actual mystery.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Is Bluebird one of the ones you're talking about? I thought Tynion made her. Eh, must be misremembering. I have tried to block all of Batman Eternal from my mind.

Yeah. Tynion is the one that put her in a costume, but that is definitely what Snyder intended. Duke Thomas was definitely done in a much better fashion, until the gave him a dreadful superhero name he was cast out of the Batman books.

The mini where they set him up as the daytime Batman of Gotham was a good idea but it was never touched on again.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I just found out (if wikipedia is to be trusted, I could see one of his friends changing it as a joke) that Chip Zdarsky is a pen name.

He turned his Harvey Award back in right?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The influence of Johns is potent at DC.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Talon was underrated, and Detective Comics by him was a fun team book.

Batman was... Fine?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Ted kord used his money to buy parts to build and maintain the Bug.

Yeah, don't become a tech hero unless you are a wealthy industrialist.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Man, this Question book is extremely my poo poo.

Also Jimmy Olsen continues to be a delight.

:same:

It is nice that someone remembered that the Question had supporting characters, and it is good Fraction is doing anything again.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Space Fish posted:

I generally enjoy his stuff, but I'm grateful we got "clever plotting and gags" Fraction and not "everyone says 'gently caress' until the TV contract ink dries" Fraction.

(An unfair take, but that's how I feel, okay)

Yeah, Sex Criminal was cute, but once you get the joke it is just lifeless/trying too hard. Him not handing in his script did give us Chip Zdarsky having to write books to live.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

graybook posted:

As someone with what feels like an irrational appreciation for Mister Terrific, I'm also surprised this didn't get canceled along with those other titles or debuted alongside, but I'm glad to be getting Mister Terrific content all the same.

Plastic man cannot be denied.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

It is a huge shame that Legion is just so extremely flat. You could definitely just shuffle the characters around and get the same effect other than Jon. To be fair, Bendis has never written a team book with clear character voices in his life so I don't know why I expected Legion to be different.

Looking forward to him doing tight character focused issues at some point, because this book desperately needs it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Madkal posted:

Man Bat too for some reason.
And, awwwww someone remembered that Firestorm exists.

Justice League Dark is good

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Boy the last issue of Snyder's Justice League sure is... something.

Woof.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Don't spoil anything, but is it any sort of wrap-up, or can you tell he'll be back to actually end the story in an event?
Edit: I think we have an answer to that anyway with Hell Arisen taking place afterwards (right?)

Look in your heart. The answer is there.

Glad I got off this around issue 15. Suicide Squad is excellent again however, so at least there is some life left at DC. Haven't read much else yet, but I am interested to read Flash and Detective.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Finished JL #39.
Agreed.

:hmmyes:

I read it as soon as I pulled it out of the box to see if the Snyder run could actually manage a solid ending. I didn't expect to love it or anything, but wow.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

enigmahfc posted:

I mean, JL didn't have a 'proper ending', but this is comics we are talking about so it's not like any of this would ever actually 'end' within our lifetimes. The good guys lost, which I actually appreciate (even though they will eventually win). From how some people were talking on here, I was expecting it to end with Wonder Woman pregnant with Batman's kid or something ACTUALLY bad, but to me, nothing really worthy of "WOOF" (whatever that means).

Sorry, this comic was absolutely poo poo. I know Justice League has a very low average in quality historically, but one of the biggest writers at the company just dropping an absolute turd as the end of his Epic Cosmic Storyline is unforgivable.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Unforgivable is probably unfair. There is almost no reader that will remember it in 12 months. Great finale to a multi month crossover that was randomly inserted into almost every book.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

McCloud posted:

lol ok. This isn't the end of the cosmic storyline is the point, it's the finale of act one. The story obviously goes on in Hell Arisen (HA, get it?!). Getting this bent out of shape over what is clearly a midway point is a wee bit unreasonable

Book is trash, sorry?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just give us the Silver Age style Superman stories we all crave! I want every cover in TYOOL 2020 to be some total nonsense than nonetheless happens inside each issue.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Crimes of Passion has both a Slam Bradley and Plastic Man story. :discourse:

It is a shame anthology books always do so poorly. DC has been doing a series of great ones.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I miss his Bat-team run on Detective.

Clayface :unsmith:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Superman Heroes has some cute stuff in it this week. A great use of Booster Gold.

I have liked him revealing his identity so much more than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

The one thing I didn't like was the 2-pager of hero reactions. Mister Terrific just being really loving weird for one. Also the Odyssey team suddenly being there for some reason.

Well you can't do a anthology book without filler.