Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
It looks completely normal, like pretty much any YA teen-focused GN you can find in any bookstore or library these days

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
New Mutants

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I’m seeing Cagney more in that Two Face.

Love that art, who is it?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

frameset posted:

I got the Mark Waid Flash Omnibus v1 as a gift for Christmas, and I thought I'd read the post crisis Flash volume on DCUI up to when he takes over.

These Flash stories are like a fever dream. Absolutely batshit mental.

Yeah I read the first couple years of post Crisis Flash last year and they’re….real weird

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I finally read Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow, and it’s probably on the upper tier of Tom King things I’ve read. Starts strong, kinda putters out by the end, like halfway through he remembered he only had eight issues and needed to wrap it up. Art by Bilquis Evely is next level throughout, and the Supergirl origin issue unexpectedly made me tear up! So props to the creative team there!

What’s frustrating is so few reviewers seem to note that it’s a take on True Grit, almost exactly. So many goodreads users are like “why are there so many captions? Why does Ruthye talk so weird” and it’s just a sad gentle reminder that so many comic book fans read nothing but comics.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Space Fish posted:

This is killing me, because when the issues were originally coming out I saw nothing but "Tom King does True Grit" reactions, and I guess the pendulum has swung the other way with people's no-context confusion.

Also, the miniseries was cut down to eight issues, so that semi-rushed conclusion is no accident.

Oh wow well yeah, that’ll do it.
Wait all of you thought this was bad? I thought everyone thought it was good? Why did I read it then?!?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Wait is The Human Target series good? I have the first volume of that too because it was recommended but I’m, as I said, hot and cold on King.
Just reading a bunch of comics that are on “best-of” lists from the past couple years. New YA librarian and I’m trying to improve and modernize our GN collection after not reading many modern comics for uhhhh 6 six years.
If you think there’s other better stuff I should check out please tell me. I have also read and enjoyed (in the DC world) Taylor’s Nightwing, Adams’s Flash, Ram V’s Swamp Thing.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I don’t own it, I’m a librarian who takes advantage of the amazingly robust inter library loan system in place at the NYPL! You should too kids! (If you’re in NYC) (Honestly NYPL has such an incredibly deep well of TPBs and GNs, you can find pretty much anything you’d ever wanna read in there comics-wise)

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Edge & Christian posted:

Why are BPL and NYPL separate systems and which of the various Crises/universal reboots would be the best model to merge them and just let me have one library card?

Ask the higher ups.

We are not fully separate, we’re like the Flashes of Earth 1 and Earth 2, pals operating in similar fashions.

You should actually be able to merge your card even tho it’s two different systems. Just gotta ask. It’s a lil complicated (I haven’t had to do it yet) but insofar as I’ve been told, it can be done. You just can’t return books from one system to the other one.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Batman/Elmer Fudd was fun

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Justice League International is obviously amazing, but I have even more love for the sequel minis: Formerly Known As The Justice League and I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League are both fantastic. He also co-created Jaime Reyes. What a killer and eclectic career.

SO influential to me. Cannot be overstated how much those minis meant to me as a comic book reader just starting out. Informed my taste. I remember asking for Formerly Known as the Justice League for Christmas probably the first year I was reading comics.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Maybe he’s a war criminal because many of his major works are about characters processing how to deal with doing war crimes

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Endless Mike posted:

I should really reread Planetary

Reread it earlier this year, holds up incredibly well (separating art from artist of course lol)

So how do we feel about DC allowing AI art in their books? First with this Andrea Sorrentino Batman issue and then now this Power Girl #10 variant cover by Daxiong!

Bad stuff!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Grounded was so weird
Remember he didn’t even finish it?
He got like five or six issues into it before leaving for “other reasons” (def wasn’t the huge outcry and critical lambasting of his first few issues) and it being left to Chris Roberson to finish it? (I miss Chris on big comics, he was really fun and good and always nice at cons)
And then Chris’s salvage job on Grounded wasn’t half bad.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah it’s weird because for the most part I actually think JMS is a GOOD writer!! He misses sometimes but when he’s on he’s on! I have some great memories of reading or watching his work! Babylon 5 rocks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah that was the best thing he created