Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

I really like Tom King's personality. I seriously wish that every writer in the industry had his personality.

His writing, on the other hand, I would only wish on a very select few of my worst enemies.

:yeah:

It's weird 'cause I liked Vision and like maybe a few issues of Batman but the rest has been a hot mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think Young Justice is supposed to be a separate imprint, right? So it must be another Earth...

...At least I hope so, because Conner Kent coming back sets off all kinds of alarms in my head that something bad might happen to Jon Kent (besides being written by Bendis heyoooo :rimshot:) because DC doesn't like multiple characters using one hero name.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know that, I meant something bad. Like dying, or a heel turn, or getting back on that ship and heading to space forever; something that'd eliminate the (non-)issue of having two Superboys around

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Bendis left dangling plot threads from the Clinton administration when he left Marvel.

I find this hyperbolic but also hilarious, gj

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Didn't he leave Miles on a new team to replace Shield, headed up by Leonardo Da Vinci from Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D., and Marvel's now straight ignoring it? I'd've read that :)

That was Riri in Iron Man but yes.

He did however end Spider-Man's plot with a new Sinister Six mid-fight with Miles falling off a helicarrier and then getting laid up in a hospital in an incredibly unsubtle nod to his own near-death brush with MRSA.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 13, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

The rumour was that he'd be relaunched as Spy-D, but I think him contemplating not being called Spider-Man any more was in Bendis' last issue.

No, it was earlier. He contemplates quitting right before Bombshell calls him to save her (or Ganke tells him he's got to save her, I forget) so he gets to do the old "just when I thought I was out..." routine before taking off

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheHan posted:

In one of the recent Spider-Man cartoons they changed Miles's name to Kid Arachnid, and I think it happened around the same time as comic Miles wanting to change his name.

Yeah but as I understand it that was more of a merchandising move so they don't have to sell 2 different toys that both say "Spider-Man" (which is still stupid but whatever). Then again though, Marvel animation believes its audience is full of complete morons who can't understand the concept of, for example, 2 different Avengers shows at once. (DC animation isn't much better though, with the infamous Bat-embargo)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

I really really really hope this doesn't stick. This just sucks.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/01/15/jonathan-kent-superboy-17-years-old/

Oh gently caress right off Bendis

e: I guess I didn't see a loving monkey paw in my hand when I said I hope he doesn't die.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

What got you in the preview? Like a page ago you said you knew about Jon being aged up.
If it's the bit where he peeps his mom's boobs, an oedipal complex just builds character!

I dunno I thought maybe he just had a growth spurt, or at most maybe a few years? But jumping straight to 17 is too much imo.

I mean tbh I thought the whole "going to space" thing was stupid in the first place but I was willing to give Bendis the benefit of the doubt and see how things went... and I gotta say I'm not pleased.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

enigmahfc posted:

Everyone knew Jon would get aged up, but now suddenly people are all, 'gently caress you Bendis! You did the exact thing we knew you would be doing for for like the past 6 months and has been confirmed by previews and everything!"

okay

Personally, it was kind of an out of sight out of mind deal. Like how I'm not reading HiC so I can ignore... all that bullshit. But I've still been reading Superman, and now that the things that I don't like are actually happening (or are imminent) now's the time for me to bitch about it like a proper comic forum poster.

enigmahfc posted:

wasn't he already like 12?

I don't remember exactly, but I do know it was a thing in the Super Sons book where he'd keep asking Robin to put him on the Teen Titans but Damian kept shooting him down because he wasn't a teen.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 16, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

bendis heard how popular this Joseph Joestar character is

Very niceu Damian-chan!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So BC is reporting that Scooby Doo Apocalypse is coming to an end because WB is taking away the HB license from DC over alleged "unhappiness" in the way the HB characters have been depicted over the past two and half years.

I haven't read one issue of Scooby Apocalypse but yeah I can't imagine a comic called Scooby Apocalypse is a great marketing tool for the brand's typical demographic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

But in the, like... in the real world, you see... people talk like, well, like that, or, um... they talk like this. In real life, I mean. You and me here in the real world and not, um... you know... in, like, a comic book... or something

Okay now do a Bendis impression! :neckbeard:

e: gently caress, beaten

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

I feel like Priest's Deathstroke has been losing a lot of the weird family drama that I liked so much in the beginning in favor of putting Slade in wacky gimmick situations.

Yeah it lost me back at that pretty dismal Titans crossover and the bits and pieces I've seen since haven't impressed me much. That said I guess kudos to Priest for getting me to enjoy the previous parts of a Deathstroke book because I usually hate him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cassa posted:

Real men don't get therapy. Real men bottle it all up.

Dad? I didn't know you posted here! :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
What?... buh.... whyyyy?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

And a collection of Steve Ditko Question and Blue Beetle comics, but check out the branding.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/03/09/road-to-watchmen-rorschach-nite-owl-question-blue-beetle/
:/

I have a pretty high tolerance for marketing bullshit but wow that's skeevy

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JordanKai posted:

Please shave your bangs, Superboy. :(

The shadows make it look like Superman has some horrible sideburns

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don't think Bendis flat out ignores continuity/or creates plot holes so much as he has a specific way of writing characters and starts with a vision for his stories and if that's different from old characterization or *kinda* conflicts with old stories then get used to it pal.

Like, for example, it's not a plot hole that Lois and Jon agree to take off on a space adventure with Jor-El after he's already revealed himself to be kinda crazy, it's just stupid. (I'm working through a big backlog of comics and I can't say I'm a fan of his Superman)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 5, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm guessing these are the main characters for Leviathan (saw it on some random's tweet)

Into that.

Is that Waller up front? I guess she lost weight again?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

Bendis has been setting up Lois as the point person for the Leviathan investigation

Ah. I'm still super behind on Superman, but that sounds right.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
His name will be Fansite because they love to look at Spoiler(s)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Jesus did Tom King see the reader reaction to Civil War 2 and take it as a challenge to write a worse event?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

Doomsday Clock was originally supposed to wrap up last year. If they're actively revising it to sync up with anything coming out right now in ways that weren't always planned, they're crazy.

I could definitely see them getting rid of a scene where someone sends Rorschach to Sanctuary, so that then he could appear in one of those therapy talk-to-camera cutaways throughout the book for one page and never again.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Autism Sneaks posted:

lmao lots of nods to Exit Stage Left, I bet that one person itt who thinks it's an abomination and cemented Russell as a hack is livid

is it me? I feel like it's me. I'm not livid, I'm just disappointed. But whatever, I could care less about the Eisners in general.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
tbf to Russell it's not just him, I think basically all the H-B books weren't good? Except for maybe Future Quest but I feel like to enjoy that one you kind of had to have grown up with at least some of those shows and I didn't, so I felt like I was supposed to feel nostalgic at parts and I felt nothing which is why I ultimately didn't finish it.

Anyway thank you for checking out my hot take corner, please like and subscribe

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, I know Spider-Man is Spider-Man and all, but I did not expect a renumber from 2014 to be the 3rd highest selling of the century...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AT&T, huh? Maybe it's time for the return of a phone poll to save or kill Robin.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

This is a crazy idea, but what if Batman is the real person and Bruce Wayne is the mask?

Holy poo poo you should pitch this to DC dude! :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I miss Bat-Dick so much.

Don't worry I'm sure you can find an uncensored scan of that Batman Damned comic somewhere

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

frameset posted:

It's the top selling comic each month. Why would they do this?

I know it gets poo poo on a lot here by the more vocal posters, but I've enjoyed all of King's Batman run.

I've actually liked it too for the most part. Aside from the wedding fake out that literally everybody saw coming that still pisses me off.

I think a whole lot of the ill will towards his Batman is just the hatred overflowing (rightfully so) from Heroes In Crisis.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Jesus, I am shuddering at the thought of a Bendis Batman book. Making my skin crawl imagining the loving Joker doing Bendis-speak.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Batman isn't quippy like Spider-Man or Luke Cage or any other street hero though.

But whatever I'll track down his Wal-Mart comic and eat crow, I guess

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the planned ending involved Batman and Catwoman actually getting married for real this time, but some higher up took the dumb thing from #50 about Bruce having to be unhappy to be Batman at face value.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Two Tone Shoes posted:

The worst thing he's really done is completely abandon Dick after Dick got shot in the head and turned into an rear end in a top hat.

I think that's more just the consequences of having a Nightwing ongoing running. You can only do so many issues with a *TAKES PLACE BEFORE BATMAN #x editor note and I'm sure Scott Lobdell was just itching to write some terrible Ric Grayson comics.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm thinking this is for 'Superman' and involves Jon meeting/joining them, which is the reason he was aged up.

If Bendis puts Jon on the Legion I will face God and walk backwards into hell.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

That doesn't seem like a bad idea to me?

I get that having (a) Superboy on the Legion is both a good idea and a classic one, but I don't like it being this Superboy. Look, maybe I'm just holding onto the Gleason/Tomasi era a little too fondly but I didn't like it when Bendis aged Jon up* and I especially don't like the idea of him getting shipped off to the future. I liked Superman having a family, sue me. Aging his kid up and then sending him 1000 years away effectively destroys that.

*I didn't like it then, but I figured I could learn to live with it if it led to a good story. But so far the only story it's set up for is a bunch of Jor-El poo poo in Action which l could care less about, and for Lois and Clark to have spy adventures without having a kid around. Which like... I don't know, Batman has stories without Robin all the time so you can't say Superboy was a hurdle to letting Lois and Clark do their own things.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 6, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Fair, I suppose I just thought it sounded very plausible and jumped the outrage gun.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I'll admit I'm a Marvel over DC kid, but this is an evil tweet.

https://twitter.com/GWillowWilson/status/1137932520626958336?s=19

Steve Trevor's rear end is grass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

I thought Orca was dead. I also thought no-one gave a poo poo about Orca so I guess it doesn't matter if she is dead or not.

Nah she showed up in Nightwing a while back. Now giving a poo poo however...