Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Or just ignore both paid services and find a local library that does Hoopla with a generous monthly limit and go to town; DC trades show up there the Monday after release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
#8 was leaning heavily toward 'Professor Stein has been dead for years; Ronnie is hallucinating him these days.'. I didn't like that idea at all, but now I wish that was how it had gone

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Is Lana Lang going to be a stripper or is Lois Lane going to go under cover as a hooker?

Neither. Martha.

(Or all three.)

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

That's a nice crisis on infinite Earths box, wonder if the new individual books will be available. Or make it to hoopla.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

If the extension meant his big finish wouldn't land on 100, maybe someone has a different 100 plan and King will move his finish to another book, like Morrison jumping from the main book to Batman and Robin. (Batman and Catwoman?)

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

If this is pushing Morrison's Action Comics out of continuity I'll be very sad.

Didn't Rebirth already do that?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

I mean, Superman wanting to enlist (and being thwarted by secret identify issues) goes back all the way to the roots, with 'why the heck wasn't Clark ever in the military' being a question that needed some kind of answer for decades.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

No it isn't. The reason is simple. He didn't join the military because he's a good person.

There was a draft for several decades of his history so he needed more of a strategy than that even after the army stopped being in the Nazi-fighting business.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Paktion wasn't retconned, that Superman just went bye bye.

It was retconned after that. Wonder Woman never tapped any version of that, post Rebirth.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

While true, if he's the amalgamated versions of the Post-Crisis and the New 52 versions, he wouldn't have been. But then who knows.

The immediately pre-flashpoint Superman would have been; the Johns origin restored the Legion history. But I'm not entirely sure this was a Superman who lived through that era, one who remembered New Krypton even during the time between Converrnce and Reborn. So it's probably up to Bendis and Dr. Manhattan, yeah.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

So yes, Superboy always commuted to. the future for LSH adventures. Later Supergirl was stranded in the the legion's time for a single extended time, and I think the cartoon version had Superboy there long-term, but those are the exceptions; hopefully Jon will be able to travel back and forth as the original concept.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Two Tone Shoes posted:

It still baffles me that people praise Azzarello Wonder Woman. That poo poo was so freaking antithetical to Wonder Woman.

Eddie Campbell's Deadface was good enough that we could enjoy watching it regurgitated, at least for a while.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

nofather posted:

Anyways, I came to ask a question. in another thread someone asked about unusual ships, and I thought about Riddler, and then I thought that, well, he'd only really fit with someone who was really smart. And I was sort of at a loss to find a character. So I looked at a few (smartest characters in comics!) and was sort of surprised (but not really) to see there weren't many women on the list. Well, one, but she's like 9? And a Marvel character so who cares. Even a list of 'The 22 Smartest Female Comic Book Characters' only had 12. Poison Ivy was at the top of the list, with She-Hulk next to her (Presumably its old and the young girl wasn't born yet). I could see Ivy being smart, scientist and all, but are there any like, supergenius women in DC? Tactical geniuses? I guess you had a couple in Wildstorm, with Ivana Baiul and Savant, but they don't really have much of a presence in DC. Is it just uh, Amanda Waller and Poison Ivy? Maybe Barbara Gordon?

Veronica Cale. The Countess. Uptime, Dream Girl.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

nofather posted:

Nice, thanks, though I can't find who Uptime is. Didn't Lex Luthor have a relationship with a mysterious mastermind in the 90s or early 00s? She was obsessed with her kid.

Uptime was just me pointing out that Dream Girl was in the dcu future. And yeah, that was the Countess, or maybe the Contessa, who was tied in with Lex.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

TwoPair posted:

I am so confused as to what the point of Doomsday Clock is. I mean I know what it is, it's to make Superman fight Doc Manhattan and eventually to rake in those sweet sweet bucks cranking out Batman/Rorschach teamup minis or whatever the gently caress, but I don't get what the gently caress this story itself is aiming for or why it needed to be 12 issues. Seems like they could've easily gotten to the Supes/Manhattan throwdown in 8 or less.

To undo Flashpoint, at least with regard to the JSA, Wally West, and Legion.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

So, does the timing remotely make sense for the Mine and the Marionette's kid here? I mean, he was born, at the latest, a few months after the Keene act. Wouldn't that make him a teenager by the earliest time that panel could possibly happen?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Madkal posted:

If that rumour is true than I am a bit disappointed. I was never really a fan of that character (or I guess on how he was written. Duke/The Signal should be the next Batman

At least it's not Rorschach 2.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Hasn't the rule always been "you can't put the name on the cover"?

And the name change was just so he'd have one that could go on covers...

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

hup posted:

Can I get even the slightest context on that?

Rose and Thorn are a split personality.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

We are just in time for Superman 2020. Appalling lack of moon colonies though.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

There's a distinct lack of "in the aftermath of Doomsday Clock" in this (and last month's). I wonder how much "not confident in the release date", "DoomClock is inconsequential" and "They're keeping secrets well" is going on here...

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Robin, huh.

I'd have thought JLA would be next with some made up legacy number, they had the 80 year special the month before. Maybe they're waiting for the decks to clear and/or for a vaguely plausible claim to 800/900/1000 counting all justice league books.

Joker 80 years here, year of the villain may end or coda with a 100 page joker book.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

So Geoff Johns has a five year plan going.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Are the Harley's in the solo book and Suicide Squad supposed to be the same person in current continuity?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Monkey's Paw option:Zack Snyder

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

They made two different runs at collecting Sandman Mystery Theater, falling short both times, so the last year and a half has never been collected.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Dick became Nightwing at the start of The Judas Contract. For the whole arc that leads there you basically have the first three years of New Teen Titans.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Jiro posted:

He blew up in a plane I believe. Real low key stakes for a comic book character.

It was Dark Knight Returns backstory re-enactment; his main arm was trapped in a box on that plane holding down a deadman switch or something with various contrivances to rule out any possible solution; Superman could have heat visioned the arm right off and saved him and everyone else, but Ollie was 'no thanks I'd rather die than end up in a supporting role in a Frank Miller story.'

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

My predictions that I wish were jokes:
Dick Grayson will become Joker 4 at the end, and the last page of the last issue will be a 1-900 number poll to determine if the story is in continuity or not.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Bendis run ending December.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Detective #1027 is the 1001st Batman issue, dammit.

I mean, nominally. Depending on how they counted the zeroes and 1,000,000 when they went back to legacy. It may be further from 1000.
/Nerd

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

So apparently in Three Jokers 2: Barbara and Jason hook up. Ugh.

Link to an image:

https://twitter.com/TWOF4CE/status/1309312856391909378

Macking on Dick Grayson's exes is kinda his thing though...

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

So why is he asking a question he knows the answer to already?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

So the after Oklahoma line means that this is set post-tv show rather than post doomsday clock reboot, right?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Speaking of vats of chemicals and toxicity, which one of these was Harley with?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

The killing joke origin doesn't fit that,not does Batman learning that origin so quickly let the comedian be second.

If the criminal was the secret Mastermind of the red hood gang that line makes a little sense.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

That's superboy prime.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Skwirl posted:

What is Superboy Prime's whole deal? Basically all I know is he's an even more powerful Superman that gets super angry about comics and tears off people's arms.

He's the Superman of Earth-Prime, which was originally supposed to be our Earth, but it was destroyed in the Crisis so at this point it's just generic earth where our world's comics exist. He was in a pretty good late issue of DCCP (several pages of which are recreated panel for panel in the special) and then was a supporting character in Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Infinite Crisis gave three* characters a really dumb heel turn, and since his was the dumbest he wound up surviving that series and going on to, like most line-wide DC Villains, become a straw man for fan criticisms the writers disagree with. (See also Parallax). He's equivalent to the Earth-1 Superman at his peak, which makes him more powerful than most post-crisis interpretations, but he doesn't have the super-intellect. Quite the opposite.

Kurt Busiek's Secret Identity is the best version of the concept.

*: Kal-L was more a dupe turn I guess.

Thranguy fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 23, 2020

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

I liked Azzarello's run, but as the joke goes, Iiked it better the first time I read it, when it was called Eddie Campbell's Bacchus.

Trying to get it to line up with the character in JLA or S/WW at the same time was a recipe for madness...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/1413605123381731328

Who ordered that?