Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hello children

My wife has been reading a lot of comics recently and I want to provide some good recommendations. I feel pretty comfortable with Superman and Batman but I cannot for the life of me think of a good entry level Green Lantern comic.

Like, for Superman we have rear end obviously, for Batman we have loads of stuff, but I can't think of a GL comic that doesn't have a million years of lore behind it. Is there one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Can't let the human lanterns be other colors for too long, I guess.
Eh, John Stewart is getting a lot of screen time these days

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Last Call posted:

JLA: Act of God was definitely God awful.

Diana due to her background coming to worship the Christian God while being a rather pitiful person is defnitely up there as one of the key reasons.

The Norse gods do this in the prologue to the Prose Edda so this is clearly just a clever nod to mythology rather than an authorial screed

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

He could have just turned it off at the wall rather than destroy someone's property recklessly. He can move really fast it wouldn't even have taken long. This is Zod in Man of Steel all over again

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vandar posted:

Johns' Green Lantern and Morrison's Batman happening during the same period was a crazy time to be a DC fan.

We were eating good back then.

This was what kicked off my solid year or two of really being into superhero comics as opposed to just being a casual dipper, and I vividly remember getting to Brightest Day ending with a montage of "next week on Dragon Ball Z" teasers for a hundred new books that were clearly going to last about five issues, and immediately giving up on the whole thing in disgust at the sheer wet fart of a conclusion and open cynicism of it.

For being a terrible book I will say at least that Brightest Day is, on paper, completely insane. The spirit of life brings a bunch of random dead people back to life and gives them Taskmaster tasks to complete and some of them fail but that's OK because Swamp Thing has a kaiju fight with... himself? Oh no Hawkgirl melted.

Funnily enough when I read comics as a kid 10 years or so before that, one of the ones I most vividly remember is Final Night, which I absolutely did not understand the context for but was probably the best primer for accepting GL Rebirtb

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Space Fish posted:

*sighs in Blue Lantern nerd*

Green Lanterns are overpowered in the presence of a Blue Lantern, not the other way around. Blues can fly and make shields and not much else, though they make others feel good and can heal a dying star. Some elseworld/future stories occasionally give Blues one extra ability like "can explode once, for a righteous cause."
With the right equipment you can do that in real life without needing a lantern ring at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Power Batteries get blown up at about the same rate as Cybertrucks they'll be fine