Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Fully two thirds of DC’s ongoing titles being Batman-related is pretty painful to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

JordanKai posted:

Shaving a tiny line between your goatee and soul patch to keep them separated is the most evil thing the Riddler has ever done.

I have a bit of hair beneath my lip that doesn’t connect with the hair on my chin, some guys just have patches on their face that don’t grow hair

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Synthbuttrange posted:

selina succumbing to the forbidden allure of clowns

Harley Quinn isn’t even a clown anymore. She’s just a lady with dyed hair

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s something so funny about Batman still wearing the mask while posing

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

X-O posted:

Isn't that what people have said about every Titans series for like a decade or more now?

People have grudgingly come around on Teen Titans Go

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Okay so apparently a comic from last year, Damian reads shojo manga, saying “it’s something he didn’t get from either of his parents”, however, Batman was famously able to tell a person was actually the Martian Manhunter in disguise because he had the same last name as Sailor Mars from Sailor Moon.

Where’s the comic where the two bond when they both discover the other likes shojo

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Hey folks! I work at a Barnes and Noble and the store I work at has a bit of a problem with our graphic novels section. Essentially, if the stock gets too low it becomes a nightmare to keep the shelves straight because the tall, thin, and heavy books constantly fall over. I’ve been thinking of ordering a bunch of titles to help fight the problem but neither I nor my coworkers know much about comic books to know what to order.

What trade paperbacks would you suggest? Any runs or writers I should check out? DC is always printing Sandman and Watchmrn but besides that no title is too well known or too obscure—anything you’d be excited to find when browsing

Thanks!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TwoPair posted:

I don't really like it but I know Batman The Long Halloween had an influence on The Batman (the movie) so you can probably drum up some interest there.

That and The Killing Joke are already in the store but not a bad suggestion

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I think we had the Wonder Woman Historia book and it just didn’t sell. I could be thinking of a different Wonder Woman book though,

DC does do good YA books but they’re shelved in the YA Graphic Novels section. I swear, if a customer asks me where the comics are, I could take them to five different distinct sections

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I can’t say I’ve heard great things of Superman: Son of Kal-El. It seems to be one of those love-it-or-hate-it books

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The people I know who don’t like Jon (and specifically they don’t like aged up Jon) don’t like him because they feel he’s being pushed by the company to the point of other Super-characters being forgotten and because they really don’t like Jay Nakamura.

Now, I haven’t read the comics but the character of Jay seems like a bad idea, because the question “why doesn’t Superman just solve climate change” should, in my opinion, never be textual. It’s like the question “why doesn’t Batman just kill the Joker”, the answer is explicitly meta-textual, in this case it’s “because editorial wants the Joker alive because he’s popular”. Trying to ask that question textually just makes your heroes look bad and the answers aren’t satisfying. Having a character whose whole deal is asking those questions bogs down the story.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jiro posted:

What's been the consensus on Mega Dark Final Infinite Crisis on One Earth but actually involves a bunch of others?

I stopped reading after Beast Boy was double tapped.

I don’t think there is a consensus! I’ve been seeing some people really enjoy it and some people think it’s terrible dreck

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

BrianWilly posted:

In better news, Clark breasted very boobily down the stairs this week.

Like goddrat, Travis Moore. :stare:

I prefer Clark to have a dadbod but if he doesn’t he should be very hot. I approve

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Abroham Lincoln posted:

That same issue also has some loving insane poo poo where they're trying to recontextualize the ~omniverse~ by going "hey guys did you know time exists" and it doesn't make one ounce of sense

But also it birthed this panel and I cackled like a hyena reading it

Grant Morrison at their most Grant Morrison

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

StumblyWumbly posted:

Is that Morrison? It sounds like a bad imitation.

For every person who cares deeply about DC timetravel mechanics, I will show you a hypercube full of folks who just want to see Hawkman fighting dinosaurs off with a mace.

It’s somebody at their most Morrison

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Azubah posted:

I think the batman flashpoint was supposed to come out after dark crisis.

DC has apparently been releasing titles set all around Dark Crisis’s continuity and its been confusing

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/captmarvelology/status/1571559826676928513?s=46&t=GHOPTFGGib2xgj_OgTzBgg

How many of these are relaunches and how many of these are just events

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/exalted_speed/status/1572230104469901317?s=46&t=Ii4L4kca7dE84twiPw4CWQ

Everything about the Dark Crisis Young Justice event sounds like a disaster

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Beerdeer posted:

I’m so sick of overwhelming darkness in my DC Comics. This looks like exactly what I need.

If you want more of that right now, World’s Finest has been pretty good

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/schweitzerman/status/1580689488309026816?s=46&t=qGqA4fGIhLXXlvUmXcOoTQ

Come on, man. Don’t put valid criticism in the mouth of a villain as a sign that he’s unhinged

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The criticism is that the characters that people care about have been shoved aside. Half of my problem is that the criticism is presented with the subtext of the person making it just being a whiny bigot—it’s just saying that all the people who, say, don’t like that adult Jon Kent is boring and has been cannibalizing Connor’s place in the franchise are bigots who hate lgbt people (and people who like Connor certainly wouldn’t want to see him kiss Tim, no sir)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Thranguy posted:

Which again has been DCs shtick since Zero Hour. Present fan complaints in the worst possible way through the mouths of the baddies. Usually with a bit of character assassinating heel turn thrown in. Myx was at least already a villain unlike Hal and Superboy Prime.

I think this is a new character: this is Myx’s son Mickey Mxyzptlk

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I don’t care if Jon is bi I just don’t think he should be an adult. Aging him up was such a mistake

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/comixace/status/1585770372900732928?s=46&t=OWXr3ea40XSjfQ8j0-KDnQ

If only we knew who to blame for this, Mr DiDio

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Heavy Metal posted:

It seems to me comics as a medium (outside of manga) has more or less stayed in a niche in the past 20 years without tons of fluctuation.

I’m going to push back on this. Comics as a medium has been doing pretty well. It’s just not in the NA-produced comics for adults space. Webtoon and other webtoon-style comics sites have been doing extremely well with young women. Lore Olympus, for example, is a sure bestseller whenever it releases a new physical volume.

Comics for kids through middle school (my store calls them Young Readers) have also been doing extremely well. Wings of Fire, The Babysitter Club, the Teeth/Smile/Guts books, to name a few, have all been very well, not to mention Dog Man.

The success of the tv series turned Heartstopper into a smash hit, to the point where last summer you just couldn’t find the books in stores. Other YA series, like Kami Garcia’s/Gabriel Piccolo’s (I cannot believe these aren’t pen names, Kami and Piccolo as a creative team is too good) Beast Boy and Raven books have also been decently successful, often outselling other DC books

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
If you are limiting comics discussion to DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, Image, Boom, and IDW, then yes, that scene hasn’t really increased in readership.

I just think it’s deeply incorrect to limit it to those

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Heavy Metal posted:

I feel like we're crossing wires here. We both agree manga is doing great. And you bring up that kid's books are doing well. We can also talk about how the comics scene as we tend to discuss it is doing, like you say comics aimed at adults and older teens I guess. Aside from manga. Usually direct market then trades. It's been staying more or less steady is my thought, and I'm curious to see other takes on that is all.

We don't have to limit it to those publishers, but generally speaking outside of that sales are even lower right? I dig European comics, and that is a niche of a niche in the US.

You're correct that comics are doing well in other formats. Maybe those kids will grow up and join the several thousand who read one of the direct market style comics in 10 years, and we'll continue on our path of staying about the same size as a scene. Just a theory.

We probably are crossing wires, yeah. I’m not quite getting what you’re saying in the first paragraph, tbh.

I’m not bullish on too many kids moving on from kids comics to DC/Marvel stuff. It’s a bit impenetrable from the outside and if the juggernaut of the MCU hasn’t really increased readership, I doubt that kids’ comics will.

As for profit—Webtoon/Tapas/etc make a good profit through micro transactions combined with a melodramatic storytelling style that keeps readers hooked. It’s not a model I want to see others adopt, but it’s certainly a way to profit on online comics outside of the direct market.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Heavy Metal posted:

But I too am curious what Didio meant, specifically which generation he says we missed. It wasn't Gen Y/Millennials that I've noticed, they seemed to keep comics going.

Probably young Millenials and Gen Z. The older Gen Zs are in their early twenties now.

I don’t think North American printed comics for adults are going away any time soon but I think the core of my argument is that they’re outshone by a lot of other comics in the market.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
They’ll get engaged but things will get complicated when Nightwing has to capture Starfire in a race that will save the Earth. Once he captures her, he’ll proudly declare “now I can get married!”, which Starfire will interpret as a proposal for her. Starfire will immediately move into Nightwing’s home and the next 34 volumes will be spent introducing even more kooky characters as Nightwing refuses to admit that he’s fallen in love with this wacky alien!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TwoPair posted:

Sold but only if DC makes it their next direct-to-video/Max animation and everybody's British.

:hmmyes:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

site posted:

That's what I mean. Suddenly the hacker kid's bf is a child. No great way to write that story. Plus you have the whole irl right wing propaganda machine making GBS threads out "queer people are groomers" headlines. That's a loving mess no sane person would want to wade into

They could just drop the horrible boyfriend first. That would be nice

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I was feeling garbage at work today so I just read Batman Urban Legends volume 1 instead of working. Chip Zdarsky writes a good Batman

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I have a question about the Titans replacing the Justice League. Didn’t a teenager die under their watch in Teen Titans Academy? You’d think that the media would have a field day with a group claiming that they’re the new protectors of the Earth when at least one minor they were responsible for was killed not too long ago.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Dawgstar posted:

I wouldn't be surprised either A) Taylor's not read it or honestly more likely B) he'll deal with it in Titans.

Actually that leads to me to another question—I listen to a podcast with Chip Zdarsky as a host and he’ll talk about having to read a lot of comics for work. How much stuff are you expected to read when you are going to write a Big 2 title?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

BrianWilly posted:

Sweet summer child; over the years joining the Titans have resulted in, at bare minimum, a bodycount of dead teenagers in the mid-twenties :xd:

I’m aware. It’s just kind of a different thing when it’s members of your team who died versus your wards who died.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Wow I hate that cover art. Why’s he doing the Dreamworks face?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Was she still a former congressperson when this happened? It would lead to a hell of a headline

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/theoasg/status/1629263569760952323?s=46&t=dxZY15rIkh__-8NDx1vQ8w

Finally the comic where Superman goes to different chain restaurants in Japan will be legally available

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The Justice League should just go back to their headquarters in Detroit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Open Marriage Night posted:

Name one Hawkgirl villain that isn’t Gentleman Ghost.

Hawkman