Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Why did OP post a selfie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They're going to fight the dragon boss in Super Mario Odyssey?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-O posted:

I really really really hope this doesn't stick. This just sucks.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/01/15/jonathan-kent-superboy-17-years-old/

I like Lois yelling "BOY!!!" when seeing him again.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Do people other than DT read that?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Is it just me, or has Catwoman just been kinda boring?

Edit - Also, Batman just beating up everybody in Arkham feels all kinds of wrong to me.

Roth fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 19, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, it's hard to follow on a month to month basis for me, which is probably the problem.

It's nowhere near as bad as this current arc in Batman though, which I genuinely have no idea if the issues are part of the same arc or not at this point.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Phone Zone is my favorite thing

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Criticism's cool, but not my fault that people keep buying books from writers they blatantly don't like just to complain, and I'm way past the point of finding "gently caress this loving piece of poo poo writer and everything they've ever written" that people deliver everytime they don't like something even remotely entertaining.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Maybe people don't want to have a discussion with people that think "I don't get where the hate for Tom King comes from, and I don't think this bad one invalidates the comics from him I thought were good" equates out to people defending Lois Lane getting murdered for 12 pages.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

Great, so everyone actually agrees with me that it's a poo poo book, then? Superb. See how easy life becomes when you do that?

I just don't know what it is with this specific thread that you people get the over-inflated need to shut all criticism towards anything as if being ticked at comics is this bizarre intrusive concept that threatens your pristine forums utopia. Okay, so no writing is ever bad, nothing is ever inappropriate, everything in DC Comics is just fine and great and perfect from now until forever! Now how about that latest issue of Doomsday Clock, eh??

Newsflashfact: you're not a cooler comic book reader just because you're not as attached to this universe enough to complain about bad writing. No one is handing out gold stars here on these dead gay forums for being the exact rightest best kind of nerd.

And...just to recap, my one and original complaint about the Wal-Mart special that I made last night was, roughly, "King still only has one tired shtick, and comic books really aren't the best place for him to work through those issues." That's it. That's...that was it. And apparently even that tiny little bit of a takedown was just way too scathing towards the poor little defenseless snuff comic for everyone to take.

I was originally going to make a snarky post about how much everybody supports DT and won't hear anybody say a single bad thing about Scott Lobdell, but I'll be genuine.

I think you do make generally decent posts, and I don't think you make criticisms without having some kind of a basis for what you say.

However, you also frequently get kind of weird with how you present your opinions in a really angry way that I find just plain unpleasant and offputting. Like, I legitimately don't get the appeal of why you hate read James Robinson's Wonder Woman, even if I don't think you were really wrong with anything you said. Just personally, I was legitimately really excited for Percy's Teen Titans and ended up pretty bummed when I hated it. So, I dropped it, said my piece on why I didn't like it, and that was that. I'm not saying that to be some kind of detached cool guy, like, "Whatever, I like the Teen Titans, but who cares that they've been bad in basically everything but a mid-00s cartoon series" but because I just don't want to feel more upset about a thing I like being bad.

I guess most of it is that I just don't see the appeal in knowingly reading things you know you'll hate. I don't know your situation, what your pull list is like, or if you even buy the comics you read at all. I was buying a lot of comics on pretty limited money, and a lot of those were mediocre comics that I immediately forgot. I found myself enjoying comics in general a lot more when I cut back and only kept up with the ones I was really enjoying.

Also, just speaking personally, but I've increasingly found the declarations of "X writer is poo poo because this comic is bad, and they never wrote a single thing good" that people in this section in general love to make kind of just dumb? I don't think it's really constructive criticism, and kind of ignores how writers practice their craft across many different works, not all of which is going to be either good or bad. Not that that means you should forgive bad comics or something, but I find personally insulting artists/writers for the quality of their work to be kind of weird (that is not to say that you can't insult Scott Lobdell for being a creep or Chuck Dixon for being an alt-righter).

I apologize if this is really rambly. I'm finding it a bit difficult to fully express what I mean in a way that makes sense, and doesn't come across as unintentionally mean.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like tragedy, so Tom King's works generally appeal to me, but the Lois Lane stuff is pretty excessive and not needed. His Batman run has also been all over the place in quality, and I found how he handled Talia to be kinda racist.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Vague promise of how we'll go back to what comics were like when you were a kid! How exciting!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think his novelty kind of just wore off after Flintstones for me.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Bendis wrotes about a teenager, Morrison somehow works in Lobo, Johns writes a story bringing back the classic Hawkman or whatever, and King writes about Elongated Man attempting suicide once a week.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think the new Valentine's Day special was probably the strongest one of these that DC has done, but I'm really not fond of the fact that the one queer romance in it ended up being a misdirection, and god am I sick of Superman stories in these things where a character just narrates about how great Superman is.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's a joke because of a discussion in another thread

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Who cares?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sorry, I just find the actual serious version of that kind of comment to be an extreme eyeroll.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like Priest's Deathstroke has been losing a lot of the weird family drama that I liked so much in the beginning in favor of putting Slade in wacky gimmick situations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh yeah, it's still an enjoyable read and I'm not about to drop it or anything. I just can't help but feel like the book is starting to drift away from what I was interested in about it. I guess it's ending soon anyway.

Also, not sure what to think of using Granny Goodness and the Furies of all characters to make a pro feminist comic out of, but I feel like it mostly works?

This is a pretty good page.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think Lazarus Contract is probably the worst thing Priest has ever been involved with.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Personally, I'm still trying to process the idea that Darkseid fucks for pleasure.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Anyway, Wonder Twins is starting off with "My people are perfect, and also during thunder storms they gently caress like crazy" and I regret giving this a shot.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Edge & Christian posted:

Female Furies is weird for a number of reasons, but primarily (at least as of the first issue) that it really gives the vibe of :clap: HIRE :clap: MORE :clap: WOMEN :clap: TORTURERS

Based only on the first issue, by front-loading the sexism and misogyny as the main problem, it glosses over that Apokalips is a genocidal death cult dictatorship that wants to enslave the universe. Granny Goodness is frustrated that she's not given the proper credit for backstabbing regicide, and that her wards aren't allowed to serve at a high level even though they can brutally murder dissidents and wipe out entire cultures just as well as the men.

If you told the same story with (say) the Injustice League at least there'd be some wiggle room for some plot beats about how Giganta is more concerned with taking care of henchpeople and their families than Luthor, or that Catwoman doesn't immediately try to solve every problem with mass murder like Joker seems to, you could put some sort "the lesser of two evils" gloss on the message.

When the dichotomy is "we all want to brutally crush countless billions, but I would never make someone do a swimsuit competition!" I really don't know what the book is going for.

Yeah, I largely felt the same but it also comes across to me as being purposefully ironic? There's only one issue so far, so only time will tell, but I get the feeling it's trying to be a parody of half-assed neoliberal feminism.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't find that all that shocking. DC doesn't launch too many ongoings compared to how many Marvel launches every month and then promptly cancels within 12 issues.

Honestly I think he has a point that constant new ongoings are really unappealing.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

OscarDiggs posted:

Comixology are having a DC Event sale. As someone who has only ever read Batman stuff, are there any good ones I should think about picking up?

Pick up all four volumes of 52. It's a story about DC characters where Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are largely absent, and it'll probably give you an interest in more than a few characters to check out.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Finally, Doomsday Clock is good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Does anyone know if Joshua Williamson has ever given an estimate of about how long his run on Flash is going to be? I'm kind of hoping for a new creative team for a jumping on point.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I was never really into Cassie and Conner's relationship, so it doesn't bother me. But, I get why someone else would be put off by it.

I'm mostly reading it because I love the new design for Cassie just thaf much, and I'm always down for more Gemworld.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm just impressed Wild Storm didn't have any big delays.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The new one reminds me of Brave and the Bold

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That design looks like what a 40 year old billionaire thinks the kids using tumblr look like.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Is it just me, or is it really weird how Bendis' Lois refers to Jon as 'boy'?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You hear em DC. Make the Animal Man tv show.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ28FcRePAo

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It feels more likely to me that the delays are because Geoff Johns is also busy with 5 or 6 other things going on at DC at the same time in addition to writing Doomsday Clock, Shazam, and Three Jokers, yeah.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-O posted:

I was excited at the prospect of a new Batman/Superpman book by a writer who is not either King or Bendis but they go and ruin it by making it about the Dark Universe poo poo and the Batman Who Laughs. Ugh.

Same. I don't know how, but Snyder came up with a character I find less exciting to be in a comic than Hawkman and Red Hood.

Edit - I also did not enjoy Snagglepuss. I thought the general consensus here was that it was a pretty lame showing after Flintstones, at best?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Knightmate just felt like 6 solid issues of pure filler.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/PeterJTomasi/status/1125182827400708101

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Celebrity Gossip Comics