Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thinking these days Grayson was mainly due to Seeley. I see none of the fun stuff I liked about that book in anything else King does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think it's canon? Although it sure looks like it's going to handwave away Conner not existing since Flashpoint. Last time someone brought up the name Conner to Tim he had no idea who that was. Now it seems he remembers him pretty well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really really really hope this doesn't stick. This just sucks.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/01/15/jonathan-kent-superboy-17-years-old/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

See, I'm feeling the exact opposite because both 7 and 8's covers are leaning into Wally being the mass murderer and the horrifying Azzarello Suicide Squad run taking Wally.

The book Wally was in before this poo poo story is cancelled so yeah it's probably this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You know against my better judgment I thought for a second manybe it was just a funny gag people were taking too seriously, of course being Tom King I should have known better, but then I opened the twitter thread to see panels of Lois being shot in the head, crushed, eaten, and set on fire. Definitely not a book a kid should be reading. Also something I’m not interested in reading.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Don't go out of your way to buy that Tom King crap. Instead go out your way to buy this Jeff Loveness story. He needs to be writing so many more comics.

https://twitter.com/JeffLoveness/status/1083110657694658560

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

I hope he writes Wonder Woman next just to annoy you.

Wishing this kind of harm borders on harassment.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only things I've read by him are Grayson, Vison, and the first couple arcs of Batman. I loved Grayson and still do. I never got the over gushing love for Vision but I thought it was a perfectly fine book. His Batman was just dire though before I dropped it. And everything I've seen posted both in panels and summary makes me glad I've not followed him to other things.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They got tired of Mark Russell I bet.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you don't like the current state of discussion you can just not read it. Don't close the thread and therefore stop people from talking unless there's an issue with someone breaking rules.

Everyone just be sure to keep your cool and keep it on topic to DC Comics. Don't bring any personal stuff into it.

X-O fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 22, 2019

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really enjoyed Naomi a lot. Felt like the kind of Bendis book I enjoy. And holy poo poo was that art incredible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Double post, but DC is making some changes it seems. They laid off some people today.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-lays-3-percent-workforce-1178694

And then there's this:

quote:

Together with Dan and Jim, and the executive team, we have spent time assessing DC’s business, as well as the comic book publishing landscape. DC is going back to its roots of delivering epic stories with our world-class characters, stories and brands.

So uh, we're going back to the roots again. Whatever that means.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

David D. Davidson posted:

I honestly don't think that phrase has any real meaning anymore, Marvel and DC pretty much say that at least two or three times a year.

Absolutely. Generally it's not accompanied by people losing their jobs though so who knows what the thinking is here. My guess is nothing much happens.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

Okay checked out Naomi and yeah that was a pretty good first issue and i gotta agree with x-o about that art

I’m not familiar with much previous work from Jamal Campbell (I remember liking the art on Prowler) but wow, that was a great way to introduce your stuff to a big audience.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I haven't seen anything about it yet is "That Bullshit" the thing we were told by BC months ago? That Wally is the real killer? I was really hoping they'd turn that around after the initial reception to the idea was universally bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think putting Batman in charge of an AI designed to help people get over trauma is a great idea because if there's anyone that's shown the ability to get over trauma it's good ol' Bats.

Also E&C mentioning The Protector reminded me he existed so I wanted to see what he was talking about and searched out the panl on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Latin4Cookies/status/1090684150984704005

I know I rag on Tom King but that is some terrible writing right there. Just awful dialogue.

X-O fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 31, 2019

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's Jackson Lanzing on getting his Green Arrow run cancelled right at the point where they'd stop wrapping up and supporting previous writers' storylines and kicking off their own.
https://twitter.com/JacksonLanzing/status/1093264146315935745

Yeah this sucks because Lanzing and Kelly are usually very good and their ideas about Green Arrow would have been fun.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spoiler tags only work if you give people some kind of idea on what the hell is behind them. That is a terrible use of them there.

Also you don’t need to use them on books already out.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They're finally going to do it. Not content with one or two Titans at a time they're finally going to kill EVERYONE.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah we were talking about that on the last page. I even made basically the same Titans joke.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tom Taylor is awesome and should be enough to justify trying any book with his name on it.

That being said, this sounds godawful and even a good writer like him isn't going to make it appealing to me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Young Justice #3 gonna make a number of people mad.

I do hope we get some kind of further explanation on Connor though. At least he evidently hasn't been aged down again like the art would suggest.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Beerdeer posted:

Mad because of stuff that happens or mad because nothing happens? I want to support the book but I’m sick of decompression and may wait for trade.

Mad because it's revealed that Conner is married and has a son (and it's not with Cassie) even though the art makes him look like he's 16.The 'Not with Cassie" part is probably what's going to make people mad. So I guess stuff that happens?

X-O fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 6, 2019

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well Tom, let me tell you about this lovely character who wears a red helmet... or hood if you like...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Madkal posted:

Any chances one of those bats could be radioactive and be able to pass on some super Bat powers?

Don't become a Man-Bat please.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Issy posted:

Late, but I love Doomsday Clock and Shazam. Johns can do no wrong.

Hal Jordan.

Barry Allen.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have really enjoyed the first four issues of Young Justice. As I figured Bendis is a much better fit on this than he is on Superman. That being said, while I really really want to let this go he's definitely going to have to explain how Tim suddenly remembers who Conner is. I mean he could have already just thrown in a small scene like with Barry and Wally in Rebirth and that would have been the end of it. But it's gonna bother the poo poo out of me if suddenly Tim remembers everything and there's no explanation for it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

In the last arc of the recent Detective Comics run that I can't remember who wrote it, Evil Future Tim shows pre-New-52 timelines to Tim, Spoiler, and Cassie figuring that it will break them (it doesn't).

Yes he mentioned the name to Tim but Tim didn’t know that was. And after that storyline was over he asked Bruce about it because he didn’t know who’s name that was only that he knew it meant something.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

Exactly, it's why it's so easy to pull up glaring examples of this like

Well, I guess Doc Samson came back from the dead in Civil War II without much of an explanation?

Oh and he totally ignored Chemistro's redemption arc from a Dwayne McDuffie fill-in circa 1989 in order to drop him into the Hood's gang.

And then there's

I'm not sure why Bendis has a reputation for this any more than I dunno, Mark Millar or Geoff Johns or Scott Snyder or Grant Morrison or Jeph Loeb or Dan Slott or more or less anyone who isn't named Roy Thomas or Mark Gruenwald. Or maybe Kurt Busiek?

I think Bendis has the rep mostly on the back of him not even keeping up closely with continuity he himself wrote in the Ultimate line.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean there's the Ultimate Origins thing trying to pick that up and there's several things in the mini that clash with other Ultimate stories. I'd have to go back over for specific examples but he plays real fast and lose with the passage of time in regards to Peter's age and other events in the Ultimate Universe. There's also that time when Daredevil died and Peter knelt over and unmasked him and didn't know who he was even though Peter figured out who Daredevil was well before that when Matt Murdock came to visit him one time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wait. What?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

Well, it’s not an event until a Titan dies!

A bunch already did!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was excited at the prospect of a new Batman/Superpman book by a writer who is not either King or Bendis but they go and ruin it by making it about the Dark Universe poo poo and the Batman Who Laughs. Ugh.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Is that a threat for more Heroes in Crisis?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The article wasn't pulled though, I can see it fine.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't like King but even I wouldn't force him to write Red Hood.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

I dunno how *~unpopular~* this will be but if King really did propose something ridiculously controversial and out-of-character for Batman -- or for any other character -- then I'm glad someone up high actually did their job and told him "no" in clear certain terms. They should've done so plenty of times before, and not just for King.

...If this really happened of course.

King just mentioned the other day he got permission to make this major change. Why would you immediately jump to assume that him leaving the title means they went back on it when it just as easily could mean the opposite?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's a reveal in 16 that might have propelled it. The previous issue sold well but much much less.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

It's also worth noting that assuming you bought the trades for Immortal Hulk and pre-ordered Book 3 (out next Wednesday) that issue #16 is the first issue you'd want to add to your pull list/buy to start reading the book monthly.

I'm very curious to see where the next few issues land on the charts.

This is a great point. I'm so happy Ewing finally got a book that sells.

Madkal posted:

Talking about big numbers my LCBS guy was telling me that Naomi is moving big numbers with the speculators and he is selling out. Any idea why?

The book is real good. But that's hardly ever the answer. Maybe it was speculation about the mystery of her origin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So apparently Heroes in Crisis ends with Wally getting a knee in the crotch from Harley and then locked in jail? What a wet fart of an ending for what seems like a terrible series.