Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

In my uneducated opinion while reading nothing about HiC: Identity Crisis Harder, Wally will be found guilty and be put in a mind prison that has him dream that he's back with his wife and kids, only whenever he's broken out he goes on a murder spree calling himself, Zoom, or Reverse Flash, or whatever new speed villain name they come up with wanting only to be put back in the dream state so he can be with his "family" again because the world is poo poo and they can't have Kyle have any friends. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Skwirl posted:

That's probably only barely in the top ten insane things that happened in his life.

Being adopted by rear end in a top hat Silver Age Superman is pretty up there. And being a giant turtle kaiju.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Madkal posted:

Look at this. LOOK AT THIS. Explain this to me. Why does this exist?

edit: Also this one has to be a trace of a X-Men cover right. Might as well shorten Beast Boy's name to Beast

That's EXTREMELY reserved for Liefield. I'm kind of impressed.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 1, 2019

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I look forward to the realistic depiction of Smallville having a crippling meth problem, and Pa Kent being a disturbed abusive Vietnam vet.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

New Det logo.

That's an awful logo. Also why are they just reusing the armor from the third Batman game?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The GL book piques my interest if only because it's a well worn dystopian SciFi trope of removal of emotions = utopia. Off the top of my head "Equilibrium" with Christian Bale would be my biggest example. No doubt there will probably end up being other lanterns from the emotional spectrum popping in for shenanigans.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Read Batman #69, ugh just..........ugh. Also is THAT Thomas Wayne from the old Earth 2 series? The one that was hopped up on the Hourman forumula? Or is this a different version?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's Flashpoint Thomas Wayne.

I liked the issue. It's given me hope that bat-dad could be a pretty fun antagonist.
And even with more of the rote bat/cat stuff, it was beautiful.

edit: I enjoy King's butt rear end naked Bane thing too.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Button and it's Flashpoint tie in. But the Bat/Cat stuff is just so terrible in that "you don't love me, you love the job" bullshit. Why make a nuanced character when it can just be one note. Then again it was all in his head so whatever. It's part of why I dropped this book to begin with.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

DC Eisner noms:

Eternity Girl and GL Earth One getting recognized is neat.

edit: Here's the Mad story.
https://twitter.com/dizwire/status/1047836036057812993/photo/1

:stare: Holy poo poo Mad Magazine, massive props to them.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

WAIT, WAAAAAAAIIIIIT YOU FORGOT TOMASI, YOU FORGOT TOMASSSSIIIIIIIII! :saddowns:

Jiro fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 6, 2019

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Beerdeer posted:

You know, setting Liefeld loose on Kamandi or New Gods might not be a terrible idea. Being Kirby lines they're already associated with a strong artist style, and that's something Rob brings. Not to replace Kirby, but to follow along there.

I think I'd rather have him on Kamandi, personally.

Replace Kirby open slack jawed mouths with teeth clenching so tightly they burst veins.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The link was scrubbed what did it say?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

blast0rama posted:

Tom King was told this weekend at MegaCon in Orlando that his run on Batman was being scrapped as of issue 85, 15 issues ahead of his planned 100 issue run.

It being pulled is interesting...

Finally, Flashpoint Thomas Wayne found a full proof way for his son to stop being Batman. Ingenious

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Of all the claptrap defenses of HiC, I didn't really expect "Everyone's talking about it so that must mean it did good!" to come from the writer himself.

Anyway, Doomsday Clock this week was actually quite interesting. The story itself absolutely has gone on for way too long, but I was glad this issue at least took the time to go over everything it needed to go over.

I wonder if Doomsday Clock had actually been on time and not elongated/whatever, if this issue would be as interesting as you all are saying. Is it because they finally got to the fireworks factory, or it's just the thing that everyone knew was going to happen for like, 2 years is finally being explained?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Open Marriage Night posted:

Superman entered a Superman lookalike contest and won third prize.

That's what you get for moving fast enough to blur yourself in photos. :colbert:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gavok posted:

So apparently DC will be doing some kind of partnership with All Elite Wrestling, the so-far-so-good new wrestling promotion. I don't know if they're doing an AEW comic, but that might prove challenging considering their TV show starts next week and all they have so far is four PPVs and YouTube videos of the wrestlers chilling out at hotels and airports.

Looking forward to Jericho drunkenly losing the championship belt again and having to get Batman's help in tracking it down.

I love how someone just decided to draw Moxley like The Goon. Or in more DC terms Bibbo, Superman's other pal.

Holy poo poo why does Jericho have telekinesis? Lol he looks like a mid boss you'd encounter in an SNK game. If he's levitating anything it should be "a lil bit of the bubbleh"

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Jesus tap dancing Christ. Bleeding Cool has a story on DC"s 5G thing and man does it sound dumb as poo poo.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/1...F6kpDJXCUwWEy3k

I am totally out.

It'll be "interesting" to see how they're going to toss Luke into the garbage when they need to make Bruce the one true Batman again. And by interesting I mean it'll probably be crap. Why the gently caress do they need to keep artificially aging Johnathan??? Can't he just be from the future? How hard is this?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

X-O posted:

Black Batman is a great idea. It shouldn't be Luke Fox though. Luke Fox sucks. I'd even take Duke over Luke.

Messing with Jonathan Kent further is just loving dumb. But they've already messed that up so why not loving go for the overkill.

I agree that a POC Batman is a good idea, but I just can't help but get Secret Empire vibes as to how it could end. Also it would be sort of a waste of an idea to not have it focus on urban poverty and racial disparities with some of the more grounded Batman villains and or the hyper corrupt Gotham city government.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

I hate how Bendis wrote Damien in Superman. jeeze.

Otoh, Ellis's new Batman mini is out an it has this exchange

The first page is what I'm hoping would be the main focus of Fox's Batman, yeesh to that second page. Then again Gotham has always been written as this gaping hell mouth from where small things of hope spring up only to be dipped in chemicals, go crazy, actually meet the devil, be murdered.....etc etc

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Tomasi and Gleeson's Batman and Robin is also really good when it has to unfortunately bring Bruce back as Batman.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I would argue that the arc of Action Comics that focused soley on Lex getting god powers from, I think, an infantile being born from the Phantom Zone itself was way way better than what All-Star Superman did. If only because it went on a lot longer.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Splint Chesthair posted:

Oh awesome. I had been reading this series to my son and now I know to stop before we get to the nude psychotic self-mutilating parallel universe Superman who rips people’s arms off a lot.

I'm frantically searching for the pages of Edited Crisis #4 with SBP ripping off Risk's arm, explode punching some loser Titans etc etc......... :allears:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

I know comic books deal in cliches but I feel like this week's Batman involving the plot of "Batman built the most unbreakoutable jail in the world, it could hold Batman itself, it's more secure and impregnable than any heretofore seen jail, it is the jailiest jail in the realm of human comprehension" going from "introduced as a concept" to "broken out of" in nine pages may have set a new record.
Here you go!

You are and continue to be, the best E&C. I still keep wishing that y'all were able to edit the whole event.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

While that whole Wendy/Marvin/Wonder Dog sequence happened in Teen Titans in the era of comics where Johns was ascendant, he'd been off the book for about twenty issues by then, Sean McKeever wrote that storyline.

Of course this was also during the era of Editorially Driven DC, so it's entirely possible it wasn't his idea.

Wasn't this also during the era of one of the multiple times Superboy went evil and crazy/Titans were getting amputated?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

It sounds like Jim Lee is going to continue on as the only publisher.

Here's to Grifter some how being the lynchpin that holds the entire DC Universe together. :cheers:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Anyone remember flashpoint?

Nope cause gently caress that hack job of an "event"

Goddamn this is brutally true. :drat:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Pretty much all the DC output done by Tomasi and Gleason is must read. I don't think I ever read anything by them I didn't thoroughly enjoy. Their Green Lantern Corps. book was super fun too.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Thank you! I just read a review with more info, but beware, even the URL contains the massive spoiler, so don't mouse over it if you don't want to be spoiled.
https://screenrant.com/blue-beetle-secret-villain-dc-comics/

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Look, I don't get what's so hard to understand about this

Is Wally still a tragic murderer that is totally trashed as a character?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, what they did to Firestorm's girlfriend was super gross.

And Kyle Rayner's girlfriend that was a Black Lantern in a fridge was nice and classy too.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Green Lantern Corps was good when Tomassi wrote it. I remember when Soranik Natu was an interesting character and not evil just because she's Sinestro's daughter.

And actually being used.

Agreed, I just thought in general Blackest Night was a garbage event. The side stuff in Sinestro War was real good by Tomasi, especially the issue devoted to the return of SBP and Sodam Yat vs SBP. And I'm probably the biggest Tomasi and Gleason around. They also made the whole Joker cut his face off in Batman real super gross in Batman and Robin as it should have been.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I know in Kevin Smith's Green Arrow book he was brought back to life by Hal Jordan Spectre, but how did Ollie die in the first place?

He blew up in a plane I believe. Real low key stakes for a comic book character.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Roth posted:

I think what really makes it for me is that it's followed by a scene walking into the ocean, and then jumping out, like a dolphin, in full costume screaming "AQUAMAN!!!!"

Truly this is the best man DC had to helm their giant movie franchise.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

I mean Black Manta in that film was awesome so yeah, kinda

That had nothing to do with Johns and everything to do with James Wan having a specific vision of how to make a Frat Bro Aquaman palatable.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

What does Frat Bro mean in this context.

Dumb meathead jock archetype, is shown to be stupid at times and or clueless. Even the edgier versions of Arthur, cartoon Justice League from the early 00's/hook hand, didn't portray him as sort of a moron like the movie did at times. Don't get me wrong though I enjoyed the Aquaman movie, it has sadly been the most enjoyable movie of that entire movie universe.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

Of them I think the most important ones to read are Final Crisi 1-7, Submit, Resist and Superman Beyond.
I also think Legion of Three worlds as it explains some of the ending and why Superman wasn't around (he had two different multi verse ending threats going on during Final Crisis.)

The mini series with the Question (Requiem )was my personal favourite.

I know most don't count Legion of Three Worlds, but it's really fun and when all put together just goes to show how much poo poo was really hitting the fan all at once. Plus bringing back a beloved, at least by me, character was really great and IMO a massive middle finger to Infinite Crisis

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

It's weird to interpret Legion of Three Worlds as a Massive Middle Finger to Infinite Crisis, but it's possible he wrote that arc as a giant gently caress you to himself two years earlier.

Was it Johns that wrote that mini??? The tone between those two things are pretty much polar opposite one another.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

They were both written by Geoff Johns, yeah. To be fair, there were obviously other editorial voices (not to mention some legal issues with the concept of "Superboy") in the development/publishing period of Infinite Crisis and Legion of Three Worlds that definitely affected how all of those stories played out. You may have been picking up on that? I don't know.

It's also a thing where Johns (and really the entire DC creative apparatus ~2003 to present) who seem obsessed with doing these stories whose basic mechanic is

1. Write a bunch of horrible dark atrocities and angst and mistrust and betrayal and dysfunction and death
2. Write a story to "course correct" and remind that HEROES are important and it's time to fix [superhero] and bring love and trust and family and camaraderie back into the book, as it was intended.
3. "Oh no, Snapper Carr has come back as a self-harming serial rapist who has framed the Justice League for committing auto-erotic asphyxiation murders against their parents! How can the Justice League survive their trust being shattered and all of their moms and dads being double-murdered??? And who is the Metamorpho Who Laughs and Genocides???"
4. "Don't worry, this is all going somewhere, it's always darkest..."

Going back and rereading the mini, SBP is just merking fools like he did all over his original return during Infinite Crisis.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head, after years of just awful grimdark poo poo happening for a while starting at Identity Crisis and ending at Final Crisis. But still pivoting back towards old habits with poo poo like Flashpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

A town where everyone is secretly a big city hero/villain could be pretty fun for a while. Batmans and jokers galore!

Isn't that just Astro City?