Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Is YJ in canon? Or is it a book I should just read and not care about that?

Because the original run is one of my favorite comics ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Man YJ was a weird read. I finished the book and was actually startled because NOTHING happened.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
It's been a long time since I bought floppies. The characters pulled me back because I loved the original series.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

X-O posted:

Young Justice #3 gonna make a number of people mad.

I do hope we get some kind of further explanation on Connor though. At least he evidently hasn't been aged down again like the art would suggest.

Mad because of stuff that happens or mad because nothing happens? I want to support the book but I’m sick of decompression and may wait for trade.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I was okay with Young Justice. They're the late teens early 20s team now, with the Titans mid-20s. Connor not having been mentioned until now is weird, but I'm thinking that's Doomsday Clock fuckery. I'm all about letting the characters progress, and I'm willing to see what's up with the Superboy Family.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
DC Universe has some holes where I wish it didn't. No Impulse, and Johns's Teen Titans runs out at like issue 42. No Shade the Changing Man. No Final Crisis.

Are there hidden treasures in there or should I just finish the Morrisson Doom Patrol and be done with it?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
What hit me in YJ was everyone recognizing Connor but Cassie not remembering he was her first love, sex, whatever. I suppose if this is New 52 Cassie it's a different beast, but then what do they remember about THAT Superboy?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Open Marriage Night posted:

Ralph and Sue were in the Detective Club in ‘tec 1,000.

Were they human or ghosts?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Vertigo is one of the reasons I wanted it.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Really pulling for my Milligan-based Shade road comedy.

Which I just remembered had one of those little cartoons. Weird choices they've made at times.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Young Justice 5 gave me happy chills.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
You know, setting Liefeld loose on Kamandi or New Gods might not be a terrible idea. Being Kirby lines they're already associated with a strong artist style, and that's something Rob brings. Not to replace Kirby, but to follow along there.

I think I'd rather have him on Kamandi, personally.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Dawgstar posted:

That reminds me I re-read that mid-00's JLA Classified/I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League run and man that did not hold up like I wanted. Ralph and Sue were fine - I mean, Sue's the smartest character in that book just as God intended - but I'm not sure why they decided to write Mary Marvel borderline special needs.

I think she's just super goody-goody. Captain Marvel was written the same way in the original books. It reflects the lighter nature of the Shazam characters.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

X-O posted:

Shoulda just stayed in the speedforce instead of coming back in Rebirth.

Have they said at all why they bothered or is it just DC's usual contempt for readers and happy endings?

Remember when DC was all about inspirational heroes and Marvel was the dark and gritty stuff?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Does JL3000 happen at the same time as the Legion?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

enigmahfc posted:

Basket full of Heads is a legit great title for...well, anything.

8 Heads in a Duffel Bag was awful, though.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Which Legion? The classic is too old, the Zero Hour is searching the Multiverse, and the 3boot is on the wrong earth.

(I read a lot of Legion recently)

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Rhyno posted:

I'd wager we're getting a new version of one of the old versions.

https://www.newsarama.com/45587-inside-ryan-sook-s-legion-of-super-heroes-redesigns.html#s6

Looks like a redesign

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
What the hell is going on with the DC universe? I read up to maybe Convergence and then stayed in the back issue realm for a while. I picked up the first trade for the current Justice League and I'm lost. It's a new league but they all know each other? Martian Manhunter is the head of the league but has not been around for years? There are multiple multiverses, and the JLA broke the Source Wall but we're just expected to know that story before an issue #1 of the flagship title?

I'm drowning and this isn't the DC universe I read for years. I thought Rebirth was supposed to give us that back.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Nevvy Z posted:

Superman gives a nice summary in Morrison's latest issue of Blackstars.

Yeah, that feels about right. Thanks.

I guess I should just accept that my favorite time for DC comics was around 2003 and move on.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I've been reading the YJ books and it hasn't really come up. Has any other series covered why some people remember the original Young Justice and some don't? Is it it just a Dr Manhattan punched reality thing?

edit: Hah! Never mind as of #14

Beerdeer fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 11, 2020

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
About 6 months ago I decided to try the Legion without any knowledge of the team. The thread recommended I just go ahead with the Threeboot and if I liked that to go back to ZH. Threeboot was fantastic.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
“Walked in the bank, exchanged a dollar for two rolls.”

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
BOOOOOOOOOO!

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I was actually pretty cool with how Young Justice addressed things. "People did a bunch of stuff and the universe got changed" is a "Power Girl was from Earth 2 but then Earth 2 was erased" level of fresh air.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Rorshach is an unnecessary book, but drat that's a great cover.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Man, I’m reading the old Johns JSA and it’s a great representation of team as family, and then bam, Faust is raping Isis. Yuck.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
My favorite part of the DC world was the 2000s. What do I need to read to get up to speed/enjoy DC now? I have Universe.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Sounds perfect. Thanks.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Would also accept a Brendan Fraser hug.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I was super excited for Young Justice, but as it went on I was less so

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Harold Fjord posted:

A town where everyone is secretly a big city hero/villain could be pretty fun for a while. Batmans and jokers galore!

Top Ten but secret?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Remember back when we just got good stories in a reasonable world for months at a time?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Batman 666 is what I recall

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

frameset posted:

What's Sandman Mystery Theatre like? I really enjoyed the crossover story in Gaiman's Sandman, though the two Sandmen meeting was a bit of a gimmick.

I enjoyed the art style and the noir styling. However it seems the reprints are a mess and I'd be reading it digitally.

I loved it. It’s VERY dark though. The art is stylized and honestly kind of ugly but the story kept me hooked

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Rhyno posted:

Didios DC road map/reboot timeline "leaked" and holy poo poo does it sound terrible.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/first-time-full-dc-comics-timeline-dan-didio/

I'd read it as an Elseworlds. Maybe even an Elseworlds imprint, but replacing the continuity with this is insane.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
If I want to understand DC as it stands, do I just start at JL Rebirth and follow that thread?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Okay, so let's say I want to follow the Young Justice characters. Do Tim, Bart, and Connor have books? I see there's a new Wonder Girl. The last time I seriously read DC was around 2004-5 around Infinite Crisis. Everything was fairly stable then, just starting to get shaky.

I've tried a couple times to get back in but I think I did bounce off that 2016 JLA, and the Metal series didn't do much for me.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

TwoPair posted:

Tim has had a couple of stories in Batman: Urban Legends which is an anthology comic featuring a bunch of other Bat-characters. IIRC it was one of those where he came out as being bi. Connor appeared in the Superman comics in Bendis' run (he is not in the current ones). I don't think Bart's been in anything since the YJ revival aside from group shots in event books.

Thanks much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
So is Cassie the old Cassie, or new super-thief Cassie from New 52 Teen Titans?