Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Evil Mastermind posted:

Merry Christmas, you goddamn nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Evil Mastermind posted:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Evil Mastermind posted:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Evil Mastermind posted:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
hey, what's the record for the most players in a single D&D game ever? or any RPG for that matter.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't know if you count a Model UN as an RPG but those can reach 200 participants or more.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

hey, what's the record for the most players in a single D&D game ever? or any RPG for that matter.

I'm sure it's not the record but didn't the early Gygax games tend to have like 10 players? Swear I read that somewhere.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm sure it's not the record but didn't the early Gygax games tend to have like 10 players? Swear I read that somewhere.

Hell I've run games with more than ten players. Without a second GM it's a clusterfuck.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

How are you defining "single game"? Sitting around a single table? Or would everyone who's a part of a LARP or a global living campaign count?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Book 1 of Original D&D (i.e. "Dungeons & Dragons: Rules for Fantastic Medieval Wargames Campaigns Playable with Paper and Pencil and Miniature Figures*") has this at the beginning

but I think they were being incredibly over-optimistic about how many people you could get to play these things in one place. I'd be surprised if anything approached the listed maximum game size outside of a convention or two where they tried it just to say they did. Was there even precedence for anything like this in the games of Gygax and his colleagues?

*And these things which didn't get billing in the subtitle for some reason:

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 26, 2019

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Kwyndig posted:

I don't know if you count a Model UN as an RPG but those can reach 200 participants or more.

MUN is a larp, and the largest one of those I’ve been at hit around 500 players

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

kevin siembieda claimed that he regularly ran 26 player sessions that lasted 12 hours somewhere in Beyond the Supernatural.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

When I was a high school freshman, all ~20 of the seniors in the RPG club would play Rifts and WoD and Immortal as one giant clusterfuck of a group. Satisfaction with any given game session seemed to mostly be based on how big of a house they chose to cram themselves into.

At one of the first monthly club meetings I went to they recruited every last member, so about 50 people, to play a huge Vampire LARP which for all us fresh recruits meant standing around doing mostly nothing.

After they all graduated the RPG club took a general downturn in membership, though it was still sizable for the school, and everyone who was left had no interest in wrangling giant fuckoff groups anyway.

Years later I was in a relatively brief high-level 3.5 game with something around a dozen players. Combat was so loving boring.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Meinberg posted:

MUN is a larp, and the largest one of those I’ve been at hit around 500 players

If we're talking larps, Empire in the UK regularly breaks two thousand players. Though, obvs, that's a very different beast to tabletopping.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Speaking of Christmas, has anyone ever done an "Everyone is John" hack, except it's John McClane in the initial setup of Die Hard?

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure

Blockhouse posted:

what is the greatest Christmas-themed premade tabletop adventure, if any actually exist?

This thing that no one has ever heard of.

You're tasked with assaulting the fortress of Saint Nick, the evil dwarf thief. Featured are Rudolph the fire-breathing reindeer (who is "psychotic" - he'll try to bite the testicles off of anyone who rides him, which is what the module has you do), mind-controlled elves, Frosty the killer snowman and his tophat of evil, and loads of anti-LGBT mistletoe.

Not actually the greatest Christmas-themed adventure

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Does the module just assume that all adventurers have testicles?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jimbozig posted:

Does the module just assume that all adventurers have testicles?

It just means that the adventurers without testicles have an advantage since nonexistent testicles can't be bitten off

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I've been in a game of D&D 4E where for the final session, the GM combined two parties of six that had been operating in a shared universe and invited a guest player to run an NPC.

It was a clusterfuck and I had to bail him out when literally everyone else ignored the narrative hook he was dangling in front of us, but we all survived, technically. :v:

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Hell, if you stretch the definition a little bit there's stuff like the Battle Interactives they ran during Living Forgotten Realms, where a hundred+ people would all be running the same collaborative mission and it'd take up the whole drat day

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Darwinism posted:

Hell, if you stretch the definition a little bit there's stuff like the Battle Interactives they ran during Living Forgotten Realms, where a hundred+ people would all be running the same collaborative mission and it'd take up the whole drat day

Heroes of Rokugan still runs 6 hour mass battles at most gencons.

Living City once ran an entire convention that was a single long module with everybody playing it together, in a plot straight out of anime. A mysterious tower appeared outside Raven's Bluff, so naturally the city government sicced every adventurer they could find on the drat thing, all at once. The adventure was five slots long, with everybody getting together between slots to reform tables if necessary, resupply, etc, there were merchants wandering from table to table selling goods during the adventure, some of which were uh... dubious in nature. Like the discount unlabeled potions.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Blockhouse posted:

I am desperately trying to keep the holiday spirit alive despite it being nearly 70 loving degrees on Christmas loving eve so let me pose a question to you, TG chat thread: what is the greatest Christmas-themed premade tabletop adventure, if any actually exist? Failing that, what would you run for a Christmas one-shot and in what system?

Too late now, but here's my Christmas one-shot for Nobilis, DESTROY CHRISTMAS.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What can you guys tell me about The One Ring vs Lord of the Rings 5e/Adventures in Middle Earth?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Len posted:

What can you guys tell me about The One Ring vs Lord of the Rings 5e/Adventures in Middle Earth?

The one ring kicks rear end and is a really good fit for LOTR stuff, I’ve heard people like the 5e one but it’s going to be weird because it’s a conversion of a weird specific thing that’s already a mess.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Len posted:

I can tell you that neither of them are HOL

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Splicer posted:

I can tell you that neither of them are HOL
Few things are.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Len posted:

TOR is really good at specifically shooting for and mostly hitting an actual "Tolkien-ish" game vibe. Magic is present and cool but subtle and limited, a big mechanical deal is made about being hopeful and good-hearted, journeys and down-time between adventures are also big deals. You can play an elf in a mixed party without wrecking things because the game doesn't just pile a bunch of modifiers on the perfect shiny elves and call it good. The adventure modules are generally pretty good, which really stands out to me since prefab adventures tend to be trash.

I hear good things about AiME but have only skimmed a few books.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Unbound does that with its cards. You declare two moves, draw two cards, and then assign them to each move. So you can spend your lovely card on moving or shooting a weak guy, and use the big card for hitting the big scary monster.

It also uses cards as both stamina, health, and long term injuries. They've really explored as many uses for cards as they can.

The writing is also wonderfully pulp and tongue in cheek.

And Unbound's art is :perfect:

Warthur
May 2, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

There's a reason BX/BECMI/RC D&D is the TSR edition that is most commonly cloned, compared to how either edition of AD&D is, it's actually fairly elegant for a system from the early 80's(not as much as say RuneQuest, Dragon Warriors, or Advanced Fighting Fantasy, but still enough so that not much about it really needs any modernizing outside of maybe tuning up Thieves, give Fighters more to do, and make Halfling not be a mostly pointless class)
One of the things I've noticed about 2E is that if you switch all the optional rules to "off", what you have left is an awful lot like "B/X only with race and class separated out". The extensive optional rules put a figleaf on this (or rather, disorganisedly dump a bag full of fig leaves over it - Jef's points about 2E's organisation remain true), but it's still evident.

Part of that is probably because the 2E revision was done by Zeb Cook, who designed the "X" bit of B/X, but in his intro Zeb says that a lot of the revisions were done because they reflected the way lots of people actually played AD&D in practice, and there's at least anecdotal reason to believe that loads of people just muddled through AD&D using their knowledge of BX to fill in the gaps which were incomprehensible. This became very apparent in the early days of the Dragonsfoot forum - one of the first specific "Let's discuss old editions of games" places - where it became apparent that almost nobody did initiative the way that the 1E DMG says you should do initiative, because the 1E AD&D initiative system is an absurdly convoluted monster and most groups just defaulted to something resembling the B/X version because they figured that's what was intended in the first place.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

That Old Tree posted:

TOR is really good at specifically shooting for and mostly hitting an actual "Tolkien-ish" game vibe. Magic is present and cool but subtle and limited, a big mechanical deal is made about being hopeful and good-hearted, journeys and down-time between adventures are also big deals. You can play an elf in a mixed party without wrecking things because the game doesn't just pile a bunch of modifiers on the perfect shiny elves and call it good. The adventure modules are generally pretty good, which really stands out to me since prefab adventures tend to be trash.

I hear good things about AiME but have only skimmed a few books.
AiME is basically conversions of TOR material to 5E. It would feel mean and dismissive to call it watered-down TOR for babbies who can't cope with learning a different system... but it kind of is, because whilst it tries to carry over as much of the TOR system as it can, there's only so far it can go with that and still be in a 5E framework.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Warthur posted:

Part of that is probably because the 2E revision was done by Zeb Cook, who designed the "X" bit of B/X, but in his intro Zeb says that a lot of the revisions were done because they reflected the way lots of people actually played AD&D in practice, and there's at least anecdotal reason to believe that loads of people just muddled through AD&D using their knowledge of BX to fill in the gaps which were incomprehensible. This became very apparent in the early days of the Dragonsfoot forum - one of the first specific "Let's discuss old editions of games" places - where it became apparent that almost nobody did initiative the way that the 1E DMG says you should do initiative, because the 1E AD&D initiative system is an absurdly convoluted monster and most groups just defaulted to something resembling the B/X version because they figured that's what was intended in the first place.
Having lived through and played through this time with 1e, I can confirm that the most popular rule set was "Mostly B/X rules, but using the content from AD&D."

So classes, races, spells, magic items, ability scores, weapons, etc. from the AD&D books but mostly played according to red box rules. Everything that wasn't in B/X - weapon vs AC, weird initiative with segments, maneuverability classes, jacked up psionics rules, etc. - were either ignored completely or sporadically brought in.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Having lived through and played through this time with 1e, I can confirm that the most popular rule set was "Mostly B/X rules, but using the content from AD&D."

So classes, races, spells, magic items, ability scores, weapons, etc. from the AD&D books but mostly played according to red box rules. Everything that wasn't in B/X - weapon vs AC, weird initiative with segments, maneuverability classes, jacked up psionics rules, etc. - were either ignored completely or sporadically brought in.

It's why I quite like Old School Essentials' approach to retro-cloning: they went very loyal with the cloning of B/X (working in ascending AC as an option and making rulings on objectively contradictory bits of rules and stuff which was clearly missing but otherwise not changing the rules), but gave themselves more licence to adapt when they did the supplements to include AD&D-style character options, both in terms of only bringing in bits of AD&D rules which you absolutely, positively need to make the relevant classes niches make sense and also adapting the classes more to play nicer in the B/X ecosystem (so there's a bit more niche protection). It understood that AD&D was mostly useful as a deep collection of stuff to borrow from, rather than as a rules framework that someone not called Gygax could actually use RAW.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
We played AD&D with the initiative rules pretty much as-is, largely because we though that speed factor was an interesting and characterful way to distinguish between weapons of the same damage. This expanded greatly when Unearthed Arcana came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah we also did initiative as-written. Segments and casting times and all.

But I preferred the Basic setup with the phases and I wish it'd come back.