Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yzuped
Apr 22, 2014
I think that's actually part of my problem with this sort of leveling system. I just don't like it. You've got to spend your everything-currency purchasing ever more expensive stats to be able to equip weapons you haven't seen and don't know the requirements for...or up your survivability. That's part of why I liked The Surge so much, you found a neat looking weapon? wanna wield it? Sure! go ahead!

Regardless, this game has a drat nice aesthetic, and I'll happily watch CJacobs play it. Quite interested to see where it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Yzuped posted:

I think that's actually part of my problem with this sort of leveling system. I just don't like it. You've got to spend your everything-currency purchasing ever more expensive stats to be able to equip weapons you haven't seen and don't know the requirements for...or up your survivability. That's part of why I liked The Surge so much, you found a neat looking weapon? wanna wield it? Sure! go ahead!
The downside to The Surge was that there's really only possible build for you to have. Want an active skill-focused range build like the Souls games give you in sorcery? Well, gently caress you! Smacking zomfies with a cyber-sword is what you get to do and you'll bloody well like it.

It doesn't need stats because every stat would be strength anyway.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

At the same time, one of the reasons Bloodborne's combat can be so fantastic is because it can build around the assumption that every character is highly nimble and mobile.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That is true. Since it manages to do that while still allowing you a lot more variety than The Surge does, I'd call it the best of both worlds in that sense.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yzuped posted:

Regardless, this game has a drat nice aesthetic, and I'll happily watch CJacobs play it. Quite interested to see where it goes.

This will become a pretty annoying sticking point as the game goes on unfortunately. The various weapons' stat level requirements are just far too high in my opinion. Hence why I'm trying to build my character with them in mind! :v:

edit: One mistake I think they made is that later-game weapons have much higher stat requirements, presumably to account for the fact that the player will just generally have a higher stat spread by then. The problem though is that unless you're making a general character build, leveling up will be so expensive by that point that you'll never get enough wiggle room to try them! I do hope they fix it, the game is still receiving regular patches. In fact, a free expansion was just announced yesterday!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It might be worth reporting that kind of problem on their Steam forums, they did just do a shout-out to you, after all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I did one better and mentioned it in the feedback channel on the Toadman discord server! The devs/community managers are very open to talking about this kind of thing thankfully.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Definitely seeing the Norse myth influence. Nine Planets=Nine Realms. Judging by it's appearance, I'm guessing Arden is supposed to be either Helheimr or Niflheim.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am surprisingly invested in this ridiculous game of orb finding and gunfighting cyber-zombies in my own playthrough. The plot is legitimately pretty interesting.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Probably Helheim, seeing as how it's where the zombie army lives. If we run into another ice planet full of giants, we'll know for certain.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

The vibe of this feels quite Destiny-ish with the techno-religious stuff going on and all the guns. And can you choose/affect your character's stance or posture? Next to Aras our immortal looks like she has some serious cat lady hunchback leering going on.

I know a lot remains to be seen, but I hope the world/level structure isn't simply linear-ish areas branching off the hub room...

Also those are totally sabers, not rapiers

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unfortunately the Immortal Unchained protagonist seems to be a descendant of CJacobs LP golden boy Isaac Clarke, they've all got Third Person Shooter Protagonist Posture Syndrome male or female.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I'll believe it when I see her stomp!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

It seems that this is a game with Powerful Orbs, which makes it very good imo

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

This will become a pretty annoying sticking point as the game goes on unfortunately. The various weapons' stat level requirements are just far too high in my opinion. Hence why I'm trying to build my character with them in mind! :v:

I started as the SMG class and when I got the grenade launcher and saw I needed 10 more (or so) strength to use it so I just figured that's never happening, which is a shame. I'm only in the 2nd area but seems like I'll just be sticking to AR's and SMG's.

I did the opposite as you in the video and scrapped the fire smg's in favor of the other ones, I've gotten some good use out of the special move for those against certain enemies.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I kind of feel like with how useful stats are in general this game could've scrapped weapon requirements entirely and still had good incentives for various builds.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
So I bought this game after watching your first two videos because Dark Souls but with Guns (Gun Souls) sounds waaaaaay too fun to not try. Ten hours later and I'm loving everything about it except:

1. There's no option (that I noticed) to adjust mouse sensitivity in-game! As someone who uses the "high raw DPI, low in-game sens" method, this kinda sucks!
2. Some of my deaths have been because I literally got stuck in the geometry! And not even in a "actually inside a wall" way but a "weird invisible clipping" way.
3. Snipers are insanely good! So much so that using anything else feels...kinda pointless. Although the fact that you haven't shown off the starter shotgun is criminal because that thing carried me for way way way too long against tougher, slower enemies when I got behind them.

Otherwise this game feels like EYE: Divine Cybermancy or S.T.A.L.K.E.R to me: janky around the edges, and potentially frustrating at times, but a very unique experience that everyone should try at least once. Thank you for LP'ing this game and introducing me (and others) to it!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Jumpoff posted:

1. There's no option (that I noticed) to adjust mouse sensitivity in-game!
I know for a fact that there is, because I've used it.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I know for a fact that there is, because I've used it.

I just checked and my brain completely skipped over "Camera Sensitivity" as an option.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Jumpoff posted:

Otherwise this game feels like EYE: Divine Cybermancy or S.T.A.L.K.E.R to me: janky around the edges, and potentially frustrating at times, but a very unique experience that everyone should try at least once. Thank you for LP'ing this game and introducing me (and others) to it!

It's a very odd game but it's made with a great deal of passion and it's actually really interesting. If really hard! Every area keeps ramping things up even when you think they can't and that you can't deal.

And then you can and you feel like a badass norse gunlord.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

Night10194 posted:

It's a very odd game but it's made with a great deal of passion and it's actually really interesting. If really hard! Every area keeps ramping things up even when you think they can't and that you can't deal.

And then you can and you feel like a badass norse gunlord.

I actually don't think this game is too hard! I started with Warden but then specc'd into Snipers after realizing how insane they are and uhhh yeah they're still insanely good even in the mid/late game (i have no idea how long the campaign goes). But i can feel the effort and passion put into this game and that's probably why i've stuck around as long as i have with it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Jumpoff posted:

I actually don't think this game is too hard! I started with Warden but then specc'd into Snipers after realizing how insane they are and uhhh yeah they're still insanely good even in the mid/late game (i have no idea how long the campaign goes). But i can feel the effort and passion put into this game and that's probably why i've stuck around as long as i have with it.

It's an awful lot harder when you use an assault rifle sometimes.

Snipers are insanely good, yes, but I'm dogged about using this goddamn AR.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

Night10194 posted:

It's an awful lot harder when you use an assault rifle sometimes.

Snipers are insanely good, yes, but I'm dogged about using this goddamn AR.

I really like AR's for bosses. The stamina damage is great and you can switch to a shotgun and get behind them to really punish them and it feels awesome. The Warden starting AR got upgraded quite a bit before i could use better guns. They just exist in this weird place where i don't like them at range due to recoil and lack of damage, but up close they don't fire fast enough and reload to slowly (unless you really pump Finesse) for my comfort levels.

Although i do have an awful habit of never using my power attacks so maybe they're better if you use those :v:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Okay, so seeing a gun-based Soulslike makes me think more than ever that From needs to make their next game a mashup of Souls and Armored Core.

Did I miss something - how do you get more ammo for your guns? And when are we going to get some fancy clothes? Ain't a proper soulslike unless you can dress snappy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It just refreshes whenever you stop by a monolith, but I think you can also get the occasional ammo drops from enemies and the environment.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

In that case the low ammo for the sniper rifle seems like it's how the devs intended to offset its damage and range? So far it looks to me like if you use it near-exclusively you run out of ammo well before you hit your next obelisk or boss fight.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

In that case the low ammo for the sniper rifle seems like it's how the devs intended to offset its damage and range? So far it looks to me like if you use it near-exclusively you run out of ammo well before you hit your next obelisk or boss fight.

Yeah, that's the balancing factor for snipers is that you actually need to use your sidearm a fair bit! Or become addicted to ammo packs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sorry this episode took a while to upload, YouTube was being scum and refused to process it past 360p. I had to try three different times and render it twice before it finally went through, no idea why. Anyway, here it is!

Only you can prevent forest fires. Contact your local undead zombie coalition if you have something to report!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Nice to see some length in this level- the last one seemed over just as it was getting good. Anyway, with respect to multiple primary weapons, does each weapon have its own ammo pool, or do they share (e.g. two sniper rifles will have 14 bullets between the two of them)? Because if it's the former, I suggest doing one short run where you only use SMGs :getin:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yup, weapons have separate ammo pools even if they're the same type. Carrying two weapons of the same type can actually be beneficial in that way if you wanna really stick to a certain playstyle. Run out of ammo for your first sniper rifle? No biggie, you've got 30 shots left in the other one!

And believe me, when I said Veridian was a longer level I meant it. That little stretch of Arden is just the intro level, not really indicative of the length of the game itself at all.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the second primary weapon slot at the first armor shrine in Veredian is easily the most powerful bonus the Marksman gets.

You see how CJacobs has had ammo troubles? That's (sort of) done now.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Any of you play the original Thief? Veridian is giving me serious flashbacks to that one forest level, design wise.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I bought this game thanks to you, CJacobs and uhh this game owns? Why had I not heard of this game before you started this thread?

CommissarMega posted:

Nice to see some length in this level- the last one seemed over just as it was getting good.

I've been lost in Veridian for about 4 hours and counting. That might be because I have no idea what I'm doing, probably. Also the game is very much like the Souls series in the sense that it's way harder to do things on your first run, feels like.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I admit this game's background music makes me realize why Souls leaves out background music 90% of the time in moment to moment gameplay. It's not very noticeable, but running back and forth in Veredian for awhile, the music really wears on you eventually.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
"Join with the Monolith." What is this, STALKER?

Cardiovorax posted:

Any of you play the original Thief? Veridian is giving me serious flashbacks to that one forest level, design wise.

You mean the Trail of Blood mission in Thief 2? I can sort of see that; maybe more the ending cutscene from that mission. If it reminds me of anything from the Thief games though it would be Thief 3 - just generally, what with the heavy, blue-cast distance fogging.

Everyone noticed this straight away and CJacobs already made the joke in the thread title, but Immortal: Unchained is most reminiscent of Too Human; like, weirdly and specifically so.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Secrets hidden in or behind vegetation is my video game kryptonite. I'd sooner fall off that cliff with the ladder before finding the actual ladder. In another similar video game's poorly-lit forest area I had to look up so many things.

Night10194 posted:

I think the second primary weapon slot at the first armor shrine in Veredian is easily the most powerful bonus the Marksman gets.

You see how CJacobs has had ammo troubles? That's (sort of) done now.

Given when those two things happened it almost seems like its on purpose!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

You mean the Trail of Blood mission in Thief 2? I can sort of see that; maybe more the ending cutscene from that mission. If it reminds me of anything from the Thief games though it would be Thief 3 - just generally, what with the heavy, blue-cast distance fogging.
Yeah, now that you say it, it's even more like Thief 3, especially because of all the water. It has been long enough that they're all blending together a bit for me.

Really though, this almost gave me flashbacks. Make the undead mumble about the Woodsie Lord every so often and you could barely even tell the difference.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Are you going to be fighting the same necrons as the rank and file fodder for the entire game? If I had one complaint about the surge it was that it sorely lacked enemy variety, that there were not enough robots to offset the thousands of 2-hander/1-hander/claws enemies you fight throughout your tour of CREO.

The janky gunplay seems eerily familiar. It reminds me of games where the shooting felt like a tacked on afterthought, like the first Dead Rising or Bungie's Oni. And when guns are the games point of difference that doesn't feel like a complement.

I hadn't heard of this game. I'm curious.

Erd fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 29, 2019

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I noticed something funny with the attributes, most of them seem to be any build attributes. If we take Dark Souls as an example, Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Faith and Attunement are very build defining while Vitality and Endurance are attributes any build wants. Taking a look at Immortal Unchained, the build defining attributes seem to be Strength, Expertise and Insight while the remaining five gives bonuses to any build. Well, I suppose a dedicated Strength build (how well do those really work?) would not want Finesse, but otherwise, all builds want all of those five attributes. Further, IU attributes seem to have a much sharper diminishing return than Dark Souls (which has soft caps rather than diminishing return). Going for those factors alone, it seems to me like IU much less encourages specialization.

However, some weapons also seem to have rather high requirements and not in the stats that would boost its damage. I wonder how much it's the attribute requirements that are build defining rather than the attributes themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The new expansion, THE MASK OF PAIN, is now live! Come hang out while I check out the new character class and suffer as Toadman intended! It'll be great!