Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, that new class looks and sounds cool, but I doubt I've got the stones to play one. Also, you should talk to the devs, CursedJacobs, and ask them to make skateboard mode a toggle.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Right, watched the first video and immediately went off to buy this. CJacobs has introduced me to Evil Within and The Surge, so here's hoping for a hat-trick of awesome games that slipped under the radar.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Got done with Veridian and moved on to the next place and oh my god this game is so loving good.

Thanks for introducing me to this game, CJacobs!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You're welcome! One thing I like about doing LPs is getting people to see and try games they otherwise would've passed on. And speaking of which, the next update will be out probably sat/sun, I was editing in a real quick run-through of the new tutorial area that was released with the expansion. It's a lot faster paced and I actually dunno if I'd consider it better at explaining the game mechanics, but it is much more exciting at least!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've been trying, but personally, I still just can't really get into it. I think this is one that won't be clicking for me.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

This one totally flew under my radar except for being tangentially familiar with it via the seemingly unanimous opinion of 'Dark Souls But It Sucks'. A better description of it would be 'Dark Souls But The Devs Read Loads of Heavy Metal', since it has that kind of weird European Sci-Fi feel to it, or maybe 'Warframe: Prepare To Die Edition' (I can't be the only one who feels the similarities, right?). I think what I like about it most is that it all feels so alien. You have these classes/races and, even though the whole thing is obviously based on Norse myth, they still feel so unfamiliar and weird. It gives you the impression that there's a whole lot going on behind the scenes that you're not allowed to be privy to.

The name absolutely sucks though. Makes me think it's one of those half-baked God of War clones that showed up during the PS2 era.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

the seemingly unanimous opinion of 'Dark Souls But It Sucks'. A better description of it would be 'Dark Souls But The Devs Read Loads of Heavy Metal', 
An even better description would be "Vanguard but it had a lot more stats," really.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I noticed you back out to the main obelisk menu every time to switch screens, not sure if you haven't noticed but you can actually switch tabs from the top corners of the screen, took me a while before I realized it myself.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What!! I never noticed those tabs were there! Get ready for me to do it the long way for the rest of the LP. :suicide:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

A better description of it would be 'Dark Souls But The Devs Read Loads of Heavy Metal', since it has that kind of weird European Sci-Fi feel to it, or maybe 'Warframe: Prepare To Die Edition' (I can't be the only one who feels the similarities, right?).
Hmm, Euro SciFi weirdness, low on tacticool aesthetics, ancient heroes awoken/released to do things, some amount of grappling with identity.

I see where you're coming from, but I feel that while both fit in to that euroweird territory, it's actually quite a large area and they're pretty far apart from each other within it. Like:
cybered-up ancient hero visually close to human VS humanoid eyeless space monster
mythologically derived but still alien VS all within the solar system but everything's been shaped and formed by deep future humans
apocalyptic, civilizations are dying or have already died, everything is ending, you're fighting remnants in ruins as you carry out some last desperate actions to hold off the end VS escalating, you're awoken to intervene in conflicts but the fully active armies you fight come from new civilizations built on top of the ruins, and now The New War is looming.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Having gotten ahead of the LP in my run, I gotta say I am looking forward to the next video or two. Veridian has some of the most spiteful level design I've seen in a while.

e: Make that "Veridian and the world after it".
e2: Who the gently caress thought that would make a good enemy design?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 12, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Thank goodness, we're out of the caves full of poison and pits full of death water and plants that try to eat you! Now we can finally venture into the forest full of poison and pits full of death water and plants that try to eat you!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I missed that shortcut through the valley of the motherfuckers my first time through.

As you can probably guess, that made Veridian a lot harder on me.

E: Awww, not taking on the Amber Monarch with what you have now? You could totally do it with the Carbine.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 15, 2019

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Night10194 posted:

Awww, not taking on the Amber Monarch with what you have now? You could totally do it with the Carbine.

Yeah, CJacobs! Talk about blueballing us!

:v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

E: Awww, not taking on the Amber Monarch with what you have now? You could totally do it with the Carbine.
I feel that's good decision, actually. While it's totally possible to beat him the first time you run into him, it would just take forever. It's not hard, just boring, and doesn't make for very exciting LP material.

e: And I swear I haven't found a single lock his key actually works on yet. Nevermind, there was one at the end of the video. The more you know, I guess.
e2: I really don't think "conflagration" is the word.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 15, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Conflagration is super not the word I was looking for!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Every action game must have a sewer level, every flight game must have a canyon/tunnel level, every horror game must have a level where you can't fight back, every platformer must have an ice level, and every Dark Souls game must have a poison valley level.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ashen is a wonderful, warm, and refreshing game. Let's play it blind!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I was gong to ask you about Ashen, but figured you'd get to it in your own time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey you!! The LP is updating tomorrow, but for now check this cool stuff out! The first major expansion was announced today! It's got LIGHTNING GUNS

Also, the game is 60% OFF until March 4th so if you like what you've seen of it so far go buy it for TEN DOLLARS and try it out for yourself!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh goddamnit. Two days after I beat the thing and decide NG+ isn't for me.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I am really enjoying how unique this setting is, it feels like an almost French take on cyberpunk things. Looks pretty great so far! Im strapped for cash or I would totally grab it, third person character action shooters are my jam.
Too Human had a terrible control scheme, that was probably it's only real big issue it was p cool otherwise.

Dreadwroth2 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 2, 2019

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"French cyberpunk" as in "E.Y.E."?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Out of curiosity, are the "classes" simply a equipment and stats package as with the Souls games or do your class actually affect how your armor and equipment looks?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Out of curiosity, are the "classes" simply a equipment and stats package as with the Souls games or do your class actually affect how your armor and equipment looks?

They don't affect how anything looks, but they do affect the order you get your armor upgrades in. Marksman getting a second Primary slot early is one of the reasons they're so good.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

anilEhilated posted:

"French cyberpunk" as in "E.Y.E."?

Maybe not that grim but just as weird.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

THE GREATEST WARRIOR THAT EVER LIVED indeed.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think the downside of sniper rifles is meant to be ammo… Except there is an aspect that completely sidesteps that.

Here's why I referred to Veridian's design as spiteful: while it had the good idea to teach you that you need both a long-ranged (because enemies taking potshots and lobbing grenades at you from ledges) and a short-ranged (because frequent ambushes from behind) weapon, there is no variety in long-ranged weapons; it's just sniper rifles and if you don't have one - or the stats to use one - you're subject to a long and gruesome death by assholebots plinking at you from way beyond your range. It's play our way or suffer.
My guy specialized in grenade launchers and I literally had to grind stats to equip the most basic sniper rifle in order to get through. Said most basic sniper rifle then stayed with me for two thirds of the game because there's just no loving alternative to that one weapon class.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 4, 2019

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

CJacobs posted:

THE GREATEST WARRIOR THAT EVER LIVED indeed.

The part where you get the syringe capacity upgrade has a sneaky way to get up to the poison cannon dude on the left without jumping into an ambush, by the way. I don't think that encounter is entirely intended to be completed that way though. The encounter doesn't spawn until you've left the root and hit the ground if you try doing that, but it makes the encounter a bit easier, in my opinion.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That ambush scared the poo poo out of me the first time it happened to me.

Also, lol :rip:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And we're back. Sorry about that long break, I got very sick. As usual! But I'm on the road to feeling better now, uh, ish, and ready to continue.

And also as usual, we're still in Veridian! But not for much longer!

Boy, Veridian kinda sucks huh. You know what they say, though: It's not about the journey, it's the destination! And our destination is Orb-ville.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am glad to see THE ORB.

Welcome back Immortal!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Sorry about that long break, I got very sick. As usual!
Please don't die, thank you.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Welcome back!

Also:

Orb.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rub the Orb. Delight in its magnificence.
:orb:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I forgot Golen actually comments on your character being silent here. Something to keep in mind for later.

e: Oh boy Golen does make a lot of assumptions, doesn't he. I'm liking how a lot of the cryptic banter turns into actual foreshadowing, there's a Souls lesson well-learned.

e2: Revolvers are fantastic. My playthrough was as a launcher/pistol guy and those two weapons can get you through most of the game - excepting the parts where it more or less forces a sniper rifle, e.g. early Veridian.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 24, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
CyberJacobs is just shy. The strong, silent type.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Very pleased to see 1) this LP again, and 2) people in the thread showing the proper enthusiasm for ORB

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
You seem to chew through ammo really quickly for a shooter, is it meant to force you to switch weapons or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Probably, yeah. You eventually get four slots with independent stocks of ammunition each, but they also all replenish every time you use an obelisk. Without some kind of sharp limitation in place, they could've just as well given you infinite ammo instead, because an obelisk is never that far away.