Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

sleepy.eyes posted:

You seem to chew through ammo really quickly for a shooter, is it meant to force you to switch weapons or something?

Pretty much, but there's always ammo packs lying around the game world, and enemies have a chance of dropping them if you don't have many, so if you need a small resupply on your way to the next obelisk you're not totally screwed.

Cardiovorax posted:

Probably, yeah. You eventually get four slots with independent stocks of ammunition each, but they also all replenish every time you use an obelisk. Without some kind of sharp limitation in place, they could've just as well given you infinite ammo instead, because an obelisk is never that far away.

You used to have infinite ammo! When the game first released, all guns had infinite ammo and firing your gun consumed stamina based on its type. It was kinda similar to Mass Effect's gun overheating system except it also consumed stamina you used for dodging and sprinting. It was really cool and I actually wish they'd stuck with that because it would've made for a really neat twist! But unfortunately nobody liked it because you ran out of stamina a bit too fast, so instead of tweaking it they just ditched it and went with a standard ammo system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

CJacobs posted:

You used to have infinite ammo! When the game first released, all guns had infinite ammo and firing your gun consumed stamina based on its type. It was kinda similar to Mass Effect's gun overheating system except it also consumed stamina you used for dodging and sprinting. It was really cool and I actually wish they'd stuck with that because it would've made for a really neat twist! But unfortunately nobody liked it because you ran out of stamina a bit too fast, so instead of tweaking it they just ditched it and went with a standard ammo system.
That's a real shame, because that actually would've made a lot more sense for the Souls-clone combat system they've otherwise got going. Would also make combat dynamic in some ways, I think - you couldn't afford to empty out whole clips until the moment you need to dodge anymore.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Maybe if they had infinite ammo stock, but limited and smaller clips- would that make the game better?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

Maybe if they had infinite ammo stock, but limited and smaller clips- would that make the game better?
With the current reloading system it would make the game a pain in the rear end as doing literally anything but walking interrupts the reload.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Which honestly kind of makes the game a pain in the rear end already. A mandatory phase in an action-combat game where you can't do anything but walk just seems like a bad design concept on principle. You can always at least run and use items when you run out of stamina in a Souls game. It seems like the better solution.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's still a mechanic that forces tactical decisions, it just happens to be annoying as gently caress because it is really easy to mistime the reload and dodge before the animation is complete, resulting in an empty clip and wasted time. Also, reloading speed scales with one of your stats so you can't really get used to a rhythm.

I don't know if CJacobs intends to cover the game's challenge mode but they managed to turn this issue into a fairly brutal punishment there.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, running out of stamina punishes you too, so I don't begrudge them for trying to find an equivalent of this for their game. They just didn't succeeded at doing so and not also having it be a continual annoyance.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will do a bonus video or two on the Mask of Pain mode, yeah, and I will figure out a way to cover the DLC expansion campaign that's releasing soon too!

I think the reload times are not really long enough for the limited movement to be a bother, considering you can just cancel them and try again next time you get a window until you succeed. I would've liked for the game's smaller weapons in general to be higher damage with lower ammo because as I mentioned in the video, stuff like the Raven's Talons and the frost pistols I picked up just are not useful at all because they don't do nearly enough damage unless you spec WAY hard into them. You can carry around some 500 spare shots for the various dual pistols in the game but it's kind of pointless if you need three full reloads to kill a single enemy!

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I finished this game a couple of days ago, and uh. Yeah. Looking forward to seeing your takes on the game's story and stuff. I won't spoil anything, and for the love of god, do not spoil yourselves, guys!

Also hot take:
Pistols, revolvers and smgs are trash, don't @ me

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
:orb:

it's a good orb

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Golen looks like he's wearing a monocle and has a jaunty mustache to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey, sorry this lp has died a bit. It'll be back soon. Currently I'm going through some really rough Crohn's related problems and so I can't really get settled long enough to record anything new. I'm working with my doctor to figure out what's going on and how we can fix it, but for now I'm just making this post to keep the thread from getting bumped into the archive. In the meantime, check out my let's play of Ashen if you're not watching it already! It's got a very similar "AA" Indie Game With Pro Polish type of vibe.

Also, The Surge and Bloodborne are now on the LP Archive! Thanks baldurk! :toot:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 11, 2019

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Just because I have Bloodborne open in another window....

Don't worry, we'll wait for you. Take your time and get better properly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm starting to feel better, so this LP will be back next week, but in the meantime I made some videos for Chaos Argate and Liquidypoo's excellent Resident Evil 2 LP! Let's hang out and have some fun in the bonus modes in that game!

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
In addition, this game is 50% off on Steam until the 25th, so if anyone wants to try and join in on the Weird Norse Souls Shooter, now's the time!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

If my words have forked no lightning, never shall I sleep again.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm glad you're feeling better. Was a bit worried for you, as an internet stranger.

Welcome back to a world of cubes!

E: I think I am the one man alive who enjoys fighting the teleporting guys because they're a nice reflex and awareness test. I hate the fuckers with shields, though.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 22, 2019

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Good to hear you're feeling better, CJacobs!

So we finally meet the Norns, it seems. Wonder if they'll stop being so damned cryp- ahahaha, who am I kidding.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

E: I think I am the one man alive who enjoys fighting the teleporting guys because they're a nice reflex and awareness test. I hate the fuckers with shields, though.
I find this highly dependant on your loadout. I played a grenade launcher guy; this section was hell purely for dealing with the snipers' ability to fire a shot and teleport out of the way before your projectiles reach them.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 23, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know why it surprised me to see cyber riot shields in the cyber gun game but I probably should have. And they do seem just as annoying as most of the rest of the video game riot shields. The okay riot shields ones let you shoot through the eye hole.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Honestly, if the riot shields would drop after you hit them a bit, or if the guys holding them were easier to stagger, it would solve so many problems. The guys holding them have two weakpoints to balance it, i guess, but they recover so quickly, it's like, why bother? The teleporting assholes at least have a tell when they run away, so that requires being observant, but the shield guys, it's a toss of the coin as to whether or not you'll escape the encounter or not.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kibayasu posted:

I don't know why it surprised me to see cyber riot shields in the cyber gun game but I probably should have. And they do seem just as annoying as most of the rest of the video game riot shields. The okay riot shields ones let you shoot through the eye hole.

Mass Effect 3 had good riot shield enemies. You could shoot through the eye hole, shoot their feet, a lot of abilities can rip away the shield or arc around behind the shield, a few guns could innately shoot straight through the shield, and any gun could be upgraded to shoot through shields.

Enemies are only as annoying as the tool kit the game gives you to deal with them, and I'm not impressed by the tool kit Immortal has offered so far.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Sometimes the tool is a world-ending shotgun with 2.1 meters of punchthrough.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Cythereal posted:

Mass Effect 3 had good riot shield enemies. You could shoot through the eye hole, shoot their feet, a lot of abilities can rip away the shield or arc around behind the shield, a few guns could innately shoot straight through the shield, and any gun could be upgraded to shoot through shields.

The energy riot shield guys from citadel could have their shields removed via Pull, and only Pull. Not even Lash(Pull with the physics engine turned up to 11) worked against them. I think Overload maybe also worked against them, or sustained weapon fire.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurieg posted:

The energy riot shield guys from citadel could have their shields removed via Pull, and only Pull. Not even Lash(Pull with the physics engine turned up to 11) worked against them. I think Overload maybe also worked against them, or sustained weapon fire.

I know. I'm talking about Cerberus' riot shield guys.

The Citadel guys are tougher because they're Cerberus but better in every way. Their riot shield guys being much tougher to deal with is part of that.

Though personally my preferred way to deal with riot shield guys in that game was to deploy turrets and drones behind them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

10 be a vanguard
20 charge
30 shotgun
40 go to 20

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYCrkoIeqOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO25t3yLV68

Let's send RE2 off with one last hurrah and get the hell out of Raccoon City. It's time for some more fun minigames of dubious canon! Arcade action and satisfaction, here I come!

I did some more videos with Chaos Argate and Liquidypoo as a sendoff for their Resident Evil 2 LP! Make sure to stick around till the end of the last one because I might have something more in store for you in the near future!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The problem with the whole 'safety in numbers' thing arises when the other guy is the one finding safety in numbers, not you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Three words: target-rich environment.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Not only is this game now at the top of my Want list, but you've also reminded of EYE and I've been trying to remember the name of that game for-loving-ever.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Oracles are probably the best example of the Souls storytelling where you will have absolutely no idea what they're going on about on your first playthrough and it will make mostly perfect sense on the second and it is infuriating as hell to encounter for the first time. Of course, in this game, loving everyone talks like that.
I think the pacing of the game does the plot a bug disservice: that Cathal guy is kind of a big deal but by the time he and his kids actually come into play again, you will most likely have forgotten his name.

There is a pretty good story underneath all the cryptic musings, but the game just doesn't know how to tell it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 20, 2019

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It also doesn't help that it's trying to tell the story just like Souls does, with a lot of ominous English people using a lot of Mystic Proper Nouns™ spoken with way too much gravitas. Mind you, this is also a problem I had with the Souls games themselves, and is probably why I liked The Surge so much.

In any case though, good luck on your colonoscopy, CJacobs! EDIT: I hope that's not a creepy thing to say- I just heard about it when I watched your Twitch streams, and I thought I'd give my good wishes here because I'm usually asleep when you're streaming.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hey, H.R. Giger is on the line, apparently he is demanding royalties for some weird reason. I'll just tell him to call back later.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 4, 2019

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I dunno. If those Soul Furnace spires were dongs, then you'd definitely be onto something.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

The problem with the whole 'safety in numbers' thing arises when the other guy is the one finding safety in numbers, not you.

Not only can you get sniper rifles that can fit a grenade launcher, you can get a sniper grenade launcher.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
FWIW the main reason why the Volcanic Ballista is useful is that it is one of the few non-launcher weapons available to a Strength build. I used them until the end of the game.
Agreed on this area looking amazing; it isn't quite as pretty as Apexion but it really nails the horror connected to technology - basically the perfect habitat for the cyberzombies you fight there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like that when you're walking by the cyber-coffins you can see the wobbly shadow of the person inside, it's so eerie and grody.

The Lone Badger posted:

Not only can you get sniper rifles that can fit a grenade launcher, you can get a sniper grenade launcher.

:eyepop:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 4, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Of all the things in this area, door locks that skitter away when you unlock them is the creepiest.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Kibayasu posted:

Of all the things in this area, door locks that skitter away when you unlock them is the creepiest.

Do they skitter away? It looked like they just sort of exploded a way in a high pressure way to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hmmm computer concepts huh? So would you say those flame traps are...

...firewalls? :v:

Yami Fenrir posted:

Do they skitter away? It looked like they just sort of exploded a way in a high pressure way to me.

It looks like they skitter away to me, they drop down to the ground first.