Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

What's up dart goons? I just started playing since my wife got me a board for xmas. I was having so much fun I wore that laminated paper board out already and upgraded to a Winmau Blade5 and some 23g Harrows Genesis tungstens which I really like.

Today my shiny new set of Red Dragon Razor Edge Extremes showed up. I couldn't very well only have one good set of darts now could I? Not gonna madcatz my guests.

I also got some shafts and flights to mess around with. So far the in-between Harrows supergrip carbons are my favorites but I definitely need a larger data set to really settle on something. This poo poo is fun as hell and I already convinced my brother to get a board for him and my old man.

If it weren't obvious, I tend to be a gear nerd about my hobbies. What're you guys rockin with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It has begun. Soon you will spend every disposable dollar on darts gear.

Find the length of shafts that works for you best, and stick with them. Likewise with the darts. You dont want to dabble too much, consistency is key so you dont want to gently caress with your gear regularly. Dont mind Peter Wright. 23g is a good starting weight, thats where I started and stayed with as my favorite player is MvG.

Rotate the board for every few hours use, or at least once every couple weeks or so as I assume you are an amateur. If sisal (white strands) start to come out of the 20 section, rotate immediately. Dont leave the darts in the board when you're done playing. Get one of these for making sure your board is centered. https://www.dartshopper.com/winmau-spirit-master.html

Remember, the only part of you that should move while throwing is your forearm. The more you can keep the rest of your body statuesque the better you'll be.

Dartconnect is the premier system for practicing/scorekeeping, and I will say playing online even though there are more players on webcamdarts even though that website is an old piece of poo poo and Dartconnect is what the actual PDC uses.

Setting a goal for myself now to be ready for Q school next year. I have a long way to go but at the same time I'm breaking into the 70s more regularly lately and even reaching the 80s. If my practice goes good a whole year should get me where I want to be.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I'm probably overthinking stuff here, but I have a problem and I think spending a tiny bit more money is the answer... but maybe not.

I got a flight punch cause I was tired of picking up flights all the time, but now I'm rapidly getting better and I'd rather have my dart actually score than anything. I have harrows supergrip shafts, so if you punch your flights on those shafts they are NOT coming off, and now I'm getting a metric shitton of deflections. Are the shafts that let the flight freely rotate worth throwing a few bucks at, or is there a technique thing that can help assuage this? Should I just use these shafts without punched flights or maybe no rings? Thinner flights? I've thrown away 4 completely thrashed flights and broke like 4 shaft rings in the last 24 hours and I just broke another one.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 16, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Punched flights are the way to go, make sure to get titanium rings as the regular ones will break whereas you can robin hood right into the titanium ring and it wont break, and you can reuse them.

Deflections are part of the game, this is why you must learn when to switch to the 19s or 18s, you must have the ability to hit those with regularity as well or you will falter. You can put a dart square in the middle of the 60, but depending on how your darts lay this might be detrimental in getting the next two as it could be blocked. So learn to hit those 57s and 54s as well.

Dont overthink shafts and flights. The 30 cent plain nylon shafts are fine, likewise with any flights you can find, go with what you think looks good. Stay away from aluminum, dont care if Gerwyn Price won the worlds with them. They are just far more trouble than they're worth, more expensive and if you robin hood them, they're hosed. Stick a dart into the top of a nylon, shaft, it might recover, or at least will be held intact by the ring. I wouldn't recommend the spinning shafts either.

You are going to go through lots of flights, that's just the nature of it. This is why the drat things are so cheap. Get a couple dozen in colors you like, and be good for a while. I practice daily and usually change flights once a week, usually before going to my league, depending on how tattered they have become. You will notice flights available in different thicknesses, or micron values. You might think thicker is better, but a more rigid flight will only increase your deflections, and damage more easily as there's less give in it. Also, ensure your throw and follow through is firm, the more so the more straight & true your darts will be. Let your arm follow the dart towards its target.

And the best teachers are the pros. Watch classic matches, watch how they do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3DGDHipWbc

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

So far using the supergrips as intended with the ring below the flight has been a little better, but I'm gonna keep experimenting. I did a shitton of research after my post and if the pros are hammering 3x triples with non spinning shafts then those spinny shafts aren't worth it. Just gonna keep practicing!

Also- I was wondering why pros would be hammering 20 and then throw a random dart at 18 or 19 but I thought it was because of math, not because the shot was blocked. That makes way more sense.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 16, 2022

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
What is the consensus on the spring-loaded steel tip darts? I'm about to stump up for a new set and I've been trying to figure out what to go with, as I'm practicing for the start of our local league in a couple months, so I want to get them soon so I can get plenty of reps in.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The ol Bottelsen Hammerheads were nothing but a fad, though I think they may still be made. They do absolutely nothing to reduce bounce outs and the sort. Go on Dartscorner or Dartshopper, find a decent 90% set for around ~$30 in the weight you are comfortable with and go from there. If you give me a weight and can describe what you are looking for in a grip I can pick you out a few options

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Ok, thanks, that was my only real question. I'm just going to replace the Daytona Fire set I already had and loved. Just wasn't sure if there was any features I failed to consider before. Though I do have a friend that loves his Asada Noirs, so I might give those a throw and see if I like them.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The blue Daytona fire GTs have been on my wish list for a long time, but expensive darts pretty much never add anything in terms of quality or performance, it's all aesthetics. And the more aggressive the grip, the more quickly you'll chew up flights.

I invite you to look up the PDC order of merit, and check YouTube for match videos of the top players and observe the darts they use. They're all very simplistic designs for the most part

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

codo27 posted:

And the more aggressive the grip, the more quickly you'll chew up flights.

This jives. Since I got my new Red Dragon Razor Edge Extremes I have been mowing through flights. I didn't realize it was the barrel eating the flights but that totally makes sense.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 17, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Another thing, I'm a big Target darts fan, but stay away from their swiss point sets. I've not broken a single standard point in 4+ years of playing, but in the few months I used swiss point sets I broke 3 or 4 or something. Not durable.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Progress feels awesome. I think I've stopped tweaking long enough to start to get comfortable. Not bad for only playing a few weeks I think.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

A few weeks? It took me goddamn months :negative: And I think I've only got like 3 of 'em overall :negative:

Nice though. Keep it up.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I remember when I used to count every one I got. I stopped that short of 100 or so. Now DartConnect does it for me

I hit multiple per day now between matches and just loving around. Dont skip on switching to your 18s and 19s as well, you need to have them up your sleeve if you are going to be an effective player.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Watching the Worlds on YouTube and Luke Littler leaning into the "YOU'VE GOT SCHOOL IN THE MORNING" chants owns.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I missed the evening session as I don't care about anyone playing but I'm very pleased Wright is out. Hello new world #1 MVG

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Littler went from "You have school in the morning" to "Walkin' in a Littler Wonderland" overnight.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

He's good, isn't he, that Littler lad?

Glad Wright is out, can't stand him.

Still hoping for a Humphries win.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Humphries has all the charisma of a used bandaid and his reign of terror must end, and I believe it will.

I've seen the Littler story time and time again, last year it was Josh Rock. Kid's done great stuff for 16, but still hasn't done anything real important.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

In what may be the biggest Scandal since The Farts, there's a delay in the first match of the evening bracket because Dimitri doesn't like something about the board.

gaelach
Dec 5, 2023
clemens managing to get another set out of this is mental to me

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I hate Pikachu but he had the chance to do something incredibly funny and blew it.

I dunno what the gently caress is Price's problem.

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019

codo27 posted:

I hate Pikachu but he had the chance to do something incredibly funny and blew it.

To be fair though, Humphries played a looot better after being 1:3 down.
Commentators here even predicted it before the match, Humphries with a slow start, and later going on a mighty roll...

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

codo27 posted:

I dunno what the gently caress is Price's problem.

He's a tool.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

With that haircut they oughta call this kid Luke Hittler. Can't stand him.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Anyone got useful place to look for a stream for the final this evening?

I can usually watch in work but no sky sub at home

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

Skarsnik posted:

I think they're all on IPTV. Proto IPTV give you a day trial with just an email address if you can set it up quick.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

the player photos make the 16 year old look older than his opponent

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

jax posted:

I think they're all on IPTV. Proto IPTV give you a day trial with just an email address if you can set it up quick.

Twitch has plenty of streams it's seems but ta 👍

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

If littler loses he gets to be a kebab taster in turkey so in a way he's already won.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Barely watched darts in my life but I guess the hype around this 40 year old teen has drawn me in. Though I'd like Littler more if he didn't do his little smug smirk when he lands a shot.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Looking a bit rattled here like

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I've seen enough, the older but younger looking man has won it.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I've underestimated the powerful combo of kebabs and juul

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just no doubt in those finishes, ridiculous

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

that was two huge finishes

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
let him have 4 goes at that checkout and paid for it. Magic darts

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I've never been this invested in a darts match.

Skarsnik posted:

Youtube.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Dart boy is ruthless jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Liquid darts