Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Well they’re probably really good friends and just went into this having fun. Shame it sucks!

I guess, it's just weird to see someone who tends to choose really solid projects go for something really low brow and garbage. Yet it hasn't really lowered my opinion of Reilly as an actor so there's that, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Stare-Out posted:

I guess, it's just weird to see someone who tends to choose really solid projects go for something really low brow and garbage. Yet it hasn't really lowered my opinion of Reilly as an actor so there's that, at least.

He's getting paid to hang out with his friend. Really no different than the Ocean films, Adam Sandler's output, or Seth Rogan and James Franco working together.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

jesus Popstar and Step Brothers have you considered that your brain is just broken somehow?

The Bin Laden song is the only thing from Popstar that made me laugh. I was a huge Lonely Island fan too, the whole thing was so disappointing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's the funniest movie next too MacGurber dawg

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Popstar is a less good Walk Hard but instead of making fun of biopics and the music industry, it just sucks

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Popstar is great. A couple of the songs aren't too great in my opinion but the majority are hilarious. All the Style Boyz songs are hilarious. Turn Up the Beef. Legalize It should have been in the final cut of the movie. Chris Redd is hilarious in it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Popstar is a pitch perfect parody of a very specific time in pop music and so some of the jokes are gonna age really poorly and some of them are gonna age really well. but i laughed my rear end off when I watched it in theaters and I watched it again a few months ago and still laughed my rear end off.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The only thing that bums me out about Popstar is they leave the least entertaining song til last. Not even Bolton could save it, which is a shame since Jack Sparrow was amazing. Everything else about it rules and it’s a great rewatch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It has the funniest dick joke I’ve ever seen.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

The only thing that bums me out about Popstar is they leave the least entertaining song til last. Not even Bolton could save it, which is a shame since Jack Sparrow was amazing. Everything else about it rules and it’s a great rewatch.

Really? I thought it was a great ending song for bringing everyone back, and the joke that all their combined talents finally brought together created the dumbest loving song is still really funny to me. Plus, "What if a garbage man was actually SMART?" felt like a better takedown of dipshit progressivism than the Macklemore parody.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
I like the one where he has anger issues, his wife kicks him out and puts all his poo poo in the yard, and he just stays there.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

Popstar is a pitch perfect parody of a very specific time in pop music and so some of the jokes are gonna age really poorly and some of them are gonna age really well. but i laughed my rear end off when I watched it in theaters and I watched it again a few months ago and still laughed my rear end off.

:same: The Bin Laden song is so funny I laugh just thinking about it

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

There are really good bits in popstar but it doesnt cohese into something good

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Popstar might've been better if it was just 40 or 45 minutes long, like those two sports mockumentaries Samberg did on HBO.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Waffles Inc. posted:

:same: The Bin Laden song is so funny I laugh just thinking about it

You're harboring a fugitive (DAT rear end)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Stare-Out posted:

They're still developing it as of late, but I'm not holding my breath because Guy Ritchie seems to like abandoning promising movies (The Real RocknRolla) in order to wallow in mediocrity with movies like King Arthur and that one spy movie the world has forgotten already.

Also Will Ferrell has never made me laugh in anything but John C. Reilly is great. His Oliver Hardy in Stan & Ollie is getting a lot of praise.

I keep wondering if Guy Ritchie only had two really good movies in him or if Swept Away was a horrible turd that tainted the rest of his career.

Windows 98 posted:

He plays a pretty serious roll in Cyrus too which is good

John C Reilly is in all kinds of movies that are dramas or otherwise not screwball comedies, where are people getting this idea that he's never been in serious roles? That why him being on poo poo like Tim and Eric Awesome Show was so weird in the beginning. Hell I didn't primarily think of him as a comedy actor until fairly recently.

Stare-Out posted:

I can;t think of any good actor who doesn't have a bunch of trash in their filmography. A lot of people take the job either for money, because they think it will be fun, or they want to work with other people who are involved. They can't all be winners.

fist4jesus posted:

I like the one where he has anger issues, his wife kicks him out and puts all his poo poo in the yard, and he just stays there.

Everything Must Go.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I can;t think of any good actor who doesn't have a bunch of trash in their filmography. A lot of people take the job either for money, because they think it will be fun, or they want to work with other people who are involved. They can't all be winners.

It's just John Cazale. He's the only one. Even Daniel Day Lewis did 'Nine'

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

John C Reilly is in all kinds of movies that are dramas or otherwise not screwball comedies, where are people getting this idea that he's never been in serious roles? That why him being on poo poo like Tim and Eric Awesome Show was so weird in the beginning. Hell I didn't primarily think of him as a comedy actor until fairly recently.

Wait, so the Thin Red Line wasn't supposed to be a laugh riot? But it has Woody Harrelson and John Cusack with John C. Reilly. What is going on?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Snowman_McK posted:

It's just John Cazale. He's the only one. Even Daniel Day Lewis did 'Nine'

Yeah because he died before he could be in a lovely movie.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Wait, so the Thin Red Line wasn't supposed to be a laugh riot? But it has Woody Harrelson and John Cusack with John C. Reilly. What is going on?

We Need to Talk About Kevin is the best comedy of the last decade.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Thin Red Line is so loving good it hurts

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

My problem with The Other Guys is that it likes to call attention to its own jokes. Like it isn't obvious enough that Michael Keaton is quoting TLC or that Will Ferrell attracts hot women but the characters need to comment on it repeatedly too.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Felt such disgust when I saw the trailer for this. Glad it bombed

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I still had fun, but i'm a big sherlock nerd

All the opium/etc jokes always get me, and the drunk sexting telegram. The selfie stick was a bit shite tho, til the lady was dead

The real problem with this film was it underusing the women's comedic talents

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

john c. reilly was in three of the best picture nominees in 2003. dunno why people only think of his comedies.

JebanyPedal posted:

I couldn't get over how excessively that film catered to Sean Connery 007 era ideas of "cool" masculinity. I loathed the protagonists and found the film distasteful and gross in general.

a nazi gets burned alive and it's played for laughs. what's not to like

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

got any sevens posted:

The real problem with this film was it underusing the women's comedic talents

Yeah, needed more Lapkus doing her thing really.

I was determined to watch this and not hate it, and... I watched it and didn't hate it. I mean, it's not good but it's just a stupid throwaway thing with more good cast members than I expected (always good to see Steve Coogan, Rob Brydon, Hugh Laurie etc). Enough small giggles, which was more than that colossal shitfest that was Sausage Party, and having zero expectations helped. Unlike stuff like 'Blockers' where people kept saying how surprisingly great it was when it wasn't. From 2018 I have Action Point, Super Troopers 2, and Show Dogs as worse at least.

Anyway, I'm here bumping the Holmes and Watson thread so people have to remember it exists again.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Action Point was a little endearing - I didn't hate it but it didn't go far enough with what it had.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The sad thing is, if for Action Point they literally just said "hey remember Action Park? We're going to build something similar and do a Jackass movie just set in that" it would've probably been super fun like those movies all are. Johnny Knoxville getting into the old man getup and trying to write a family based comedy around a few stunts just outright sucked. None of the plot stuff was entertaining in the slightest, and it took up 90% of the runtime.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Would this movie be fun to hate watch?

I'm also on the fence about renting the really bad looking swearing puppet movie for the same reason.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

mysterious frankie posted:

Would this movie be fun to hate watch?

I'm also on the fence about renting the really bad looking swearing puppet movie for the same reason.

In my experience there's no ironic enjoyment to be gleaned from a bad comedy.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I get a lot of enjoyment from things like The Master of Disguise. It's an endurance watch, to be fair, but the sheer number of baffling decisions is a delight to me

This movie seems a lot less like an egotistical personal project, and a lot more like a contractually-obligated product, so it's probably completely flat

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

General Dog posted:

In my experience there's no ironic enjoyment to be gleaned from a bad comedy.

I made it through about eight minutes of the bad puppet movie this weekend and the experience gave credence to this sentiment.

E: I don't think I will even watch Holmes & Watson for free on streaming, unless I have some pretty severe surgery. The kind where they give you the type of drugs that ruin the lives of fat white guys from the suburbs.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 20, 2019

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

mysterious frankie posted:

I made it through about eight minutes of the bad puppet movie this weekend and the experience gave credence to this sentiment.

Happy Time Murders is so stale and unoriginal that the only criticism to be made is, every idea and comedic beat in that movie had already been done by Who Framed Rodger Rabbit, Meet the Feebles and Avenue Q.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I can confirm I turned this off after 10 mins - or whenever the courtroom scene had Watson shoot the entire place up.