Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

nooneofconsequence posted:

Oh boy I can't wait for next season!

That's probably the biggest issue with ending the show like this on the start of Batman's story. They couldn't actually conclude anything since this is technically the beginning. So you're just left wanting more, which isn't happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

That's probably the biggest issue with ending the show like this on the start of Batman's story. They couldn't actually conclude anything since this is technically the beginning. So you're just left wanting more, which isn't happening.

Ending a show with the audience wanting more is something, though. Most shows don't manage to do that.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
This whole past week I was thinking about how many drat times Ben McKenzie has said “GCPD!” over the life of the series and how I was gonna miss it, and the motherfucker said it THREE times in the finale!

RIP Got ham. That finale was exactly appropriate for this show.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Chuds McGreedy posted:

This whole past week I was thinking about how many drat times Ben McKenzie has said “GCPD!” over the life of the series and how I was gonna miss it, and the motherfucker said it THREE times in the finale!

RIP Got ham. That finale was exactly appropriate for this show.

We need a supercut of all GCPD line deliveries.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I wonder in that 10 years of stasis Gotham seemed to have if they ever fixed the front door of the precinct so random murderhobos can't just walk in and attack everyone?

I'm betting... no.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Just Chamber posted:

Pretty disappointed they don't have Gordon sporting a mustache in the 10 year skip

REDEEMED! (although bit sad they didnt keep it)

Thought it was a fitting ending to the series but echoing it really should have been twice as long

I did like the nice touch of the reporters and general public wearing 1940's trenchcoats and fedoras etc which echoes the fashion in the 1989 Batman movie.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

tarlibone posted:

Ending a show with the audience wanting more is something, though. Most shows don't manage to do that.

They didn't play it as a finale to their origin story arc though, it felt like they were playing it as 'this is our bridge to the next season'... except it isn't. Timeskip, spend the whole episode building up to 'things are about to get crazy in Gotham again', then end.

Very smart use of Batman though. Even aside from the fact that they can't put David Mazouz in the suit because nobody will buy it, they knew that anything more than flashes of him will get them compared to the other depictions. Batman is a presence you can feel in the entire episode and that's really good.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Just Chamber posted:

I did like the nice touch of the reporters and general public wearing 1940's trenchcoats and fedoras etc which echoes the fashion in the 1989 Batman movie.

I think the overall art design (especially the architecture) reminds me of the 1989 movie; something like a Gothic post-industrial nightmare-scape.

I was hoping that when we saw Batman from the front, that he'd have the 1989 logo on his chest. That would have been a little too on-the-nose, I think, but it would have been cool.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tarlibone posted:

I think the overall art design (especially the architecture) reminds me of the 1989 movie; something like a Gothic post-industrial nightmare-scape.

I was hoping that when we saw Batman from the front, that he'd have the 1989 logo on his chest. That would have been a little too on-the-nose, I think, but it would have been cool.

ah weird I was just going to post something to this effect, it would have been nice if it was a campier yellow/black BTAS chest logo that stood out more, and a clunkier prototype utility belt

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I will greatly miss this show and this thread

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

I will greatly miss this show and this thread

I can still remember the first time I got ham.

I can also remember that brief, wonderful time when this show had a character named Galavan right around the same time that the show Galavant was on, and the wonderful sing-song episode recaps that could be created to the tune of Galavant's earworm of a theme song.

I won't say that Gotham was perfect, and while all shows tend to start out rough, Gotham was particularly lost in terms of tone and direction at the beginning of its run. But I just love the insane balance they managed to find between real-world police procedural, gangland drama, and supernatural comic book insanity. It wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but I think it managed to create an in-universe atmosphere where people being resurrected, people with superpowers, and people being resurrected via a process that gives them superpowers was somehow plausible.

And, if I'm remembering correctly, we got to see Joker almost have his "Jack is dead my friend; you can call me... Joker!" moment... but he just couldn't come up with the perfect J-name. I also like his look; they went full scaryface instead of "Whoa, look at that creepy misshapen smile!"

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Remember the good times.... villian super mart! :roflolmao:

drat good times.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Burning_Monk posted:

Remember the good times.... villian super mart! :roflolmao:

drat good times.

God! I LOVED that. So much detail, right down to hand-made signs letting shoppers know about sales and other deals on overstocked implements of calamity. I kept meaning to bring that up here, but I kept forgetting. Thanks!

I really wish we got a montage of them rebuilding Gotham, and I wish that montage included one brief scene of some working-class bad guys stocking timers and dynamite on the shelves of the Villain Depot as things got "back to normal."

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

It certainly was a ride, I can say that much. Had some really great moments, also had some really awful moments that made me wonder if I should bother to keep watching. Glad I stuck around, either way. I sort of think the finale should have been split into two, I dunno. It kind of felt like they tried to do too much within such a short timeframe. Even a number of plotholes, though mainly really small ones, without any resolution, not even a sentence to kind of handwave them away. I know it won't happen, but if there was some kind of continuation for this series, I'd watch it in a heartbeat.

Also, really loved the detail that Jeremiah wasn't actually able to call himself The Joker.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Confession: I just started Season 3

I hate cape-poo poo and mainly hate-read the subreddit along with the CW trash, but goddamn, this show is so goddamn obnoxiously schlock that I have actually come around to love and adore it. Having kid-Batman is actually a benefit because you can focus on the absurd over the top villains and give due diligence to the real show-stealers like Gordon and Alfred, who is constantly having fistfights in the living room of Wanye Manor.

Gotham is grimdark Adam West schlock and is uniquely amazing compared to the rest of syndicated comic book television trash. I actually appreciate Jim Gordon for all the poo poo he deals with, and his partner is a great contrast, as well as the Shield department chief. I totally skipped S1, but the S2 arc of crime boss turned mayor turned deranged undead Templar crusader is so loving over the top and insane with all its moving parts that it's fighting with 24 for my top spot on levels of ridiculous yet amazing television

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I used this clip to get people to watch this show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EKsT8AZSEw

edit: I'm really going to miss this beautiful mess

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Grinning Goblin posted:

I used this clip to get people to watch this show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EKsT8AZSEw

edit: I'm really going to miss this beautiful mess

Man I loving loved that scene

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked when Gordon punched Jeromes face off.

https://youtu.be/qgmlll43I2o?t=198

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Just binged this whole thing over the past few weeks and enjoyed it overall.

One thing that I think they could have done better is the way they used guns. In the show every one just fires dozens of rounds and hits nothing in point blank firefights unless they need to off 5 guys in 3 seconds with pinpoint headshots, then everyone is a Zaz level marksman.

Was convenient that ace chemicals was still making vats of green goo ten years later :)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am going to watch Barry because Zsaz is in it and basically looks like he's the same character.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

twistedmentat posted:

I am going to watch Barry because Zsaz is in it and basically looks like he's the same character.

He's amazing in Barry. One of the best characters on tv.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah its Zasz if he was born into a more supporting mafia family

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I overall enjoyed the show too, just got around to watching the final season as it hit UK Netflix. I overall enjoyed that Penguin was still clearly quite in love with the Riddler even though he knew it was unrequieted, and little character changes like Nora Fries arranging her own death because she didn't want to be the cause of Victor going crazy. It gave her a little agency.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I also blitzed through it on Netflix this weekend, very enjoyable. It took them a while to find their feet, I remember watching a bit of the fist season while visiting friends in New Zealand, it seemed like just a normal cop show with a bit of Batman lore thrown in... what a difference a few years make, a completely different show!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Marmaduke! posted:

I also blitzed through it on Netflix this weekend, very enjoyable. It took them a while to find their feet, I remember watching a bit of the fist season while visiting friends in New Zealand, it seemed like just a normal cop show with a bit of Batman lore thrown in... what a difference a few years make, a completely different show!

It was pretty crazy from the get go, I mean balloon man, dozens of street kids getting kidnapped, the goat killer and the bone-dissoving super strength drug were in the first half of the season.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

It was pretty crazy from the get go, I mean balloon man, dozens of street kids getting kidnapped, the goat killer and the bone-dissoving super strength drug were in the first half of the season.

True, but it also had a lot of not-crazy stuff in it.

Remember, there were a few soap opera elements front-and-center in the early going, and it really leaned much more heavily on the police procedural side. It tried to blend regular stuff with crazy stuff, and if you ask me, the show was OK but didn't really find its feet until they said, "screw the normal stuff; we're going full-on bat(man)-poo poo crazy!"

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
And too much Fish. I was really expecting her to cameo in the finale after they mentioned Penguin starting off as her umbrella boy. I just can't stand River Song type characters (male or female).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tarlibone posted:

True, but it also had a lot of not-crazy stuff in it.

Remember, there were a few soap opera elements front-and-center in the early going, and it really leaned much more heavily on the police procedural side. It tried to blend regular stuff with crazy stuff, and if you ask me, the show was OK but didn't really find its feet until they said, "screw the normal stuff; we're going full-on bat(man)-poo poo crazy!"

I just rewatched it and my memory of it was that season 1 was less insane but it didn't feel that way. That said there is a tone shift between that and "the resurrected mayor [who was part of a bruce wayne death cult] but is now azarael gets blown up with an rpg" crazy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

qirex posted:

I just rewatched it and my memory of it was that season 1 was less insane but it didn't feel that way. That said there is a tone shift between that and "the resurrected mayor [who was part of a bruce wayne death cult] but is now azarael gets blown up with an rpg" crazy.

Season 1 was a bit strange because they were trying to blend Burton and Nolan aesthetics and it didn't quite click.

Once the second season came around, though, it was off to the races of bugnuts insane.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Timby posted:

Season 1 was a bit strange because they were trying to blend Burton and Nolan aesthetics and it didn't quite click.

Once the second season came around, though, it was off to the races of bugnuts insane.

Yeah in season 1 they're aiming much more towards the 'real world detective stories with dark gothic elements' and the mafia plotline is similarly straightforward. From season 2 onwards there's a rapid acceleration towards being a live-action version of the cartoon series, and it's clear that everyone had a lot more fun when they just embraced that and started hamming it up in every scene.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

One thing season one does very effectively is establish the GCPD as the worst police force in the history of television.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Marmaduke! posted:

And too much Fish. I just can't stand River Song type characters (male or female).
In what way are those characters similar?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

One thing season one does very effectively is establish the GCPD as the worst police force in the history of television.

A trend which remains unbroken until the series finale

I'm really going to miss Gotham

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Tiggum posted:

In what way are those characters similar?

Very smug, overused, written/directed badly (I don't want to say Alex Kingston is a bad actress but I can't imagine that role being acted well).

Dang, I shouldn't have made this comparison to a Doctor who character , now I'm thinking what a shame it is that Missy's actress never came back.

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 30, 2019

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Michele Gomez was the perfect balance of actual talent and hammy overacting for Gotham.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Marmaduke! posted:

Very smug, overused, written/directed badly (I don't want to say Alex Kingston is a bad actress but I can't imagine that role being acted well).

Dang, I shouldn't have made this comparison to a Doctor who character , now I'm thinking what a shame it is that Missy's actress never came back.

The bad writers version of a "strong female character" is more like it. Rather than showing you that they are amazing, they tell you by having everyone failing over themselves telling themselves how amazing and wonderful she is, while never or at least rarely showing it.

When you see these characters, they're almost always played by black women now too, which just makes it worse because they're throwing away much needed diversity. Gifted had Rena who was almost exactly the same character.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Oh god how had I forgotten what’s probably the single best moment in the whole series until I just rewatched this episode?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VIBcWtso2A

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

qirex posted:

Oh god how had I forgotten what’s probably the single best moment in the whole series until I just rewatched this episode?

gently caress I miss this show so much.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

qirex posted:

Bullock had the right idea there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Did anyone here ever watch Smallville? It also had a lot of the same over the top craziness that Gotham had. There was also never a moment of silence. Literally every episode, from start to end, had background music. If you never noticed it before you will now.