Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hatelull posted:

I'm still confused on what exactly Selena did in that /[13]/ style game of Russian Roulette. I guess she didn't pull the trigger and roll the dice with that cat luck the guy behind her fired an empty chamber?

She reached back and put her finger under the hammer of the gun that was to her head so it couldn't fire

The last two episodes have been disappointing and I feel like the biggest problem is editing. Selena walking out and then suddenly being on the roof in full Catwoman gear and then strolling back in and being all HI BRUCE is one example

It feels like they actually made a full season and then had to cram the footage into half as many episodes or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The Bloop posted:

She reached back and put her finger under the hammer of the gun that was to her head so it couldn't fire

The last two episodes have been disappointing and I feel like the biggest problem is editing. Selena walking out and then suddenly being on the roof in full Catwoman gear and then strolling back in and being all HI BRUCE is one example

It feels like they actually made a full season and then had to cram the footage into half as many episodes or something.

I absolutely did NOT catch the thing with the gun. I took the weird cut from rooftop in gear to the hospital as a transition of time. It was super clumsy way to imply that after she ate the magic jellybean pulled from the ground she's been going out at night living that cat woman lifestyle. Now where she got a new leather outfit equipped with razor sharp nails and a whip in that hospital is the REAL question.

Also, Gordon in that same drat suit for what should be around 100 days now is super great.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 18, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Weren't those her old clothes she was wearing, that she would have been brought in with?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Weren't those her old clothes she was wearing, that she would have been brought in with?

No

It was an entirely different all black leather outfit

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I was expecting it, yet was still disappointed that this Harley continues the odd trend of barely making her look like an actual harlequin. The Animated Series got it perfect right off the bat. Also Selena hissing was both hilarious and one of the dumbest small moments to come from the show.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

TheLoneStar posted:

I was expecting it, yet was still disappointed that this Harley continues the odd trend of barely making her look like an actual harlequin. The Animated Series got it perfect right off the bat.

The animated series got it perfect right off the bat because Harley Quinn was created for the animated series. Every other incarnation of her is, by necessity, derivative (when it's not a cheaply bastardized version of the character).

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

tarlibone posted:

The animated series got it perfect right off the bat because Harley Quinn was created for the animated series. Every other incarnation of her is, by necessity, derivative (when it's not a cheaply bastardized version of the character).
Let me rephrase. The Animated Series gave Harley a great design on a silver platter but a lot of the more modern versions of her use infinitely shittier designs for no reason.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked the Penguin Corporate Loyalty song. Very Majima Construction.

Man for a second I was wondering why enemies from Final Fight were in the show, then the leader said Slicer Dicer and I was "Oh wait Mutants!".

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 22, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Better than the last two for sure

Things happened! Zsasz!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The guy who plays Zsasz is such a smartass; one of the best antagonists throughout the entirety of the show.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
gently caress I love Zsasz! So how many times have they "killed" the totes-not-joker?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
One thing that I liked was seeing Zsasz displaying an emotion besides "Smartass." He's always hypercompetent and never afraid of anything... until this episode, where I saw that veneer of confidence wear a little thin. He looked worried in a scene or two. I don't think he ever has been worried on camera before.

It kind-of gives a little depth to how bad things are in Gotham.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Reminder that if you like Zsasz's actor being a quirky mobster, then watch Barry on HBO.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man I was really upset to find out Ed was the one behind the attacks. I liked The Nigma and Fox mysteries.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

GigaPeon posted:

Reminder that if you like Zsasz's actor being a quirky mobster, then watch Barry on HBO.

I'm going to try to binge this. It was too slow starting for me to sustain interest when it was airing normally.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Man I was really upset to find out Ed was the one behind the attacks. I liked The Nigma and Fox mysteries.

I think there's probably something else there because the flashbacks looked kind of weird.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Clayface maybe?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this! posted:

I think there's probably something else there because the flashbacks looked kind of weird.

I hope so. Jerome doing it seemed to obvious, I was thinking that maybe the government itself was doing it. They'd had enough of Gothams poo poo and just decided to give up on it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Before the Ed reveal I thought it was going to be Bane because his introductory storyline involved shooting rockets at buildings.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I realise it's entirely in-character for him, but Jim being so insistent on not letting Zsasz be executed because he didn't commit these particular murders - even though he definitely did commit a whole lot of other murders - was pretty dumb. I would have liked Penguin to point that out. Like, accept the evidence that it couldn't have been Zsasz and just put it to the crowd that even if he didn't do this specific crime he's still an unrepentant serial killer. I don't think Zsasz would even have denied that since it's pretty widely known.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

I realise it's entirely in-character for him, but Jim being so insistent on not letting Zsasz be executed because he didn't commit these particular murders - even though he definitely did commit a whole lot of other murders - was pretty dumb. I would have liked Penguin to point that out. Like, accept the evidence that it couldn't have been Zsasz and just put it to the crowd that even if he didn't do this specific crime he's still an unrepentant serial killer. I don't think Zsasz would even have denied that since it's pretty widely known.

Yeah I thought about that same thing but like you say Gordon just allowing an execution would also be pretty odd

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Executing people for crimes they didn't commit is pretty hosed up, and Jim knows it would start them on a very slippery slope.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Yeah, Jim should still have opposed it, I just thought it was odd that Penguin didn't try to make that argument.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Maybe the death penalty isn't allowed in whatever state Gotham is in. Semi-joking aside, I'm surprised Penguin didn't bring up all of Zsasz's other murders either. On a somewhat related note, I was surprised that Zsasz brought up his scars again since I don't think they got referenced at all since we saw him cut himself that one time way back when he first appeared.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean the same argument could be made for Penguin himself so it'd be a little self defeating

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I mean the same argument could be made for Penguin himself so it'd be a little self defeating

Except that Penguin always thinks he's a special case that the rules don't apply to. He would absolutely make the argument that Zsasz's past murders should be taken into account but his own were unique situations that should be excused because of reasons.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Except that Penguin always thinks he's a special case that the rules don't apply to. He would absolutely make the argument that Zsasz's past murders should be taken into account but his own were unique situations that should be excused because of reasons.

a good portions of Zsasz's murders were on contract to Penguin, but yeah, point taken

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
"But he killed 300 people! I just enslaved them!"

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hope that every remaining episode features Penguin and Jim coming to another uneasy agreement before one of them immediately breaks it, because their relationship is my favourite part of the show

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Well, like you said, it's in-character for Jim to do exactly what he did... and that's why it happened. Almost anyone following this show would notice how out-of-character it would be for Jim to do anything other than what he did, and we'd all be arguing about whether Jim was a clone from Indian Hill, under some kind of mind control, or if a computer scientist made some red gothamite and gave it to him.

There's an in-universe reason why they didn't have Jim let the execution go on, and I don't know if anyone has touched on this yet: Penguin was trying to take over leadership of Jim's sector. The people want justice for what happened to their loved ones, and here's Penguin with a certified, card-carrying bad guy to blame. The line between justice and revenge is never as thick and well-defined as we'd like it to be, and in the world of Gotham, it's all but vanished. So, Penguin riles them up against Zsasz, and if he executes him to the crowd's fervent approval, then their allegiance will go from Jim to Penguin. It's a classic dictator move, really.

For Penguin, having loyal followers is extremely important, because he wants power and that's how he defines power. He might have thought that Zsasz bombed the building, but he wasn't sure, and he certainly didn't care if Zsasz really did it--he had an axe to grind with Zsasz and with Jim, and doing so in front of a properly motivated crowd would kill both of those stones with one bird. Penguin's motive was 75% power play and 25% personal vendetta. And it partially worked: in the end, Zsasz lived, but Penguin did snag some of Jim's population.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm sure curious where Zsasz got fast food. He totally had a big glup there.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He'd been hiding out in Condiment King's territory for three months

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mameluke posted:

I can 100% accept that explanation.

You know we're half was through the season but we have no idea who the Russian guys are that are attacking, i figured by now we'd of had a hint of who they are. I assume they're Russians becuase they had BMPs

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I watched the episode with captions and saw that they named the woman Gordon is talking to on the radio Walker. A quick Google search shows that Jim's nemesis this season is supposed to be someone named Teresa Walker. So I guess he's not really talking to the government or the government is actively trying to destroy Gotham.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mameluke posted:

In the land of the starving, a man with a ketchup-tank is king.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Did the flash forward at the beginning of this season feature the main players (including Nygma) loading up to face off against some unseen horde? Not sure how they're going to walk back the high body count of that building.

Nygma was never really the mass destruction guy in the comics was he?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

hatelull posted:

Did the flash forward at the beginning of this season feature the main players (including Nygma) loading up to face off against some unseen horde? Not sure how they're going to walk back the high body count of that building.

Nygma was never really the mass destruction guy in the comics was he?

They made him into Joker-lite in the last 5 years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm glad they didn't gloss over the whole yes, Ed has killed people before.

Also for those who haven't been reading the news Jim's new/old friend is Bane.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Dogs do to smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He did the thing!