Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

nooneofconsequence posted:

Dogs do to smile.

Yep.

It's looking up that they have trouble with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tarlibone posted:

Yep.

It's looking up that they have trouble with.

I'm looking down on this post

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

So Jeremiah remade the Waynes, yeah?

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

nooneofconsequence posted:

So Jeremiah remade the Waynes, yeah?

No question about it, they made that very clear and weren't trying to be ambiguous about it at all. The reason their faces were hidden was almost certainly not because they were trying to fool the audience or anything, but likely was so they didn't have to pay the actors portraying the Waynes SAG appearance rates for two seconds of silent screen time.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Goddamn, Kathy Geiss doesn’t gently caress around, does she?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
This is legitimately the ONLY thing I could think of when I was binging it on Netflix and see this splash screen pop up, I would read it out loud in a dramatic voice with an interrogative inflection and it never failed to amuse me.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I usually just shout “GOFFUM!!!” at the screen.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Phylodox posted:

I usually just shout “GOFFUM!!!” at the screen.

I think of it more as a breathy voice saying "Gotham" quietly.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It goes with the theme ditty

Got Ham

Got Ham

GOT HAAAM

(DUN DUNN)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

I think of it more as a breathy voice saying "Gotham" quietly.

There is absolutely nothing quiet about Goffum.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I don't think I've watched a single episode of this show and not said "Got Ham?" at some point. Part of it is because when the title card pops up, the text "GOTHAM" does this zoom-in fish-eye thing, and as it zooms in, the space between the middle two letters becomes more pronounced... I've been watching Batman stuff for decades, and only when I saw that title card did I think, "Got ham?"

My son is autistic. Every time he sees the title card, he says, "Gotham." I correct him: "Got ham." Then we get into a little argument about it. It's predictable, but fun.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They definitely lean into the gag. For a while there was a little Riddler question mark sitting on a water tower that made things more obvious.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

That scene with Ed and Penguin was fantastic.

quote:

:monocle: What was I supposed to do, let you die? After Butch you were my only friend.
:engleft: YOU SHOT BUTCH!
:monocle: Which is why I needed you!

Who did what thing?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Phylodox posted:

There is absolutely nothing quiet about Goffum.

A breathy voice saying "Got Ham"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Is it me or is everybody going extra gravel voice this season? More growl = more dramatic tension.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Tiggum posted:

Who did what thing?

Not the person who posted this, so just hazarding a guess, but I said nearly the exact same thing when Bruce did the whole "Batman just up and vanishes from the room, leaving whoever he'd been talking to looking around" thing he's pretty famous for. (Am I right, muscles?)

I just watched the latest ep tonight, and I have no clue how they're gonna wrap this up. The comic version of No Man's Land took up 5 trade paperbacks, they could've stretched the story across 2 or 3 full seasons, easily, even with Bruce not being the Bat yet. I love this goofy rear end show, sad that it's ending. :(

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Bruce did the whole "Batman just up and vanishes from the room, leaving whoever he'd been talking to looking around" thing he's pretty famous for.

I enjoyed that.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I just watched the latest ep tonight, and I have no clue how they're gonna wrap this up.

I'm wondering if there's not going to be a "twist reveal" and the person Gordon has been talking to on the phone has nothing to do with the Government. Easily evidenced since his "buddy" quickly turned heel last episode right? I predict the actual No Man's Land arc will end with the main crew (Gordon, Penguin, Riddler, Babs) gearing up to face off against whomever the hordish army ends up being, and then the REAL government shows up to save the day?

I think the actual series will end with a flash forward, and they go ahead and do a full on batman reveal.

I could be wrong though. Could the show even legally put cape and cowl batman on the screen?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Jeremiah escapes Gotham, ingratiates himself with the Trump admin (it's been the current year across the river this whole time!) and nabs a plum ambassadorial spot

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

hatelull posted:

I'm wondering if there's not going to be a "twist reveal" and the person Gordon has been talking to on the phone has nothing to do with the Government. Easily evidenced since his "buddy" quickly turned heel last episode right? I predict the actual No Man's Land arc will end with the main crew (Gordon, Penguin, Riddler, Babs) gearing up to face off against whomever the hordish army ends up being, and then the REAL government shows up to save the day?

I think the actual series will end with a flash forward, and they go ahead and do a full on batman reveal.

I could be wrong though. Could the show even legally put cape and cowl batman on the screen?

Batman, full cape and cowl, is supposed to make an appearance

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

This whole show should have been No Man's Land from like midway through season 1. It's a good way to get from Chicago -> Crazy Fuckers In Tights without stupid goofy poo poo like crazy Barb and Fish Mooney. Society breaking down and crazies running rampant in fenced-in Got Ham would have been good tv.

The main thing I'm taking away from this show is that David Mazouz is loving awesome and I hope he gets a better show when this loving shitpile is finally over.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wow. I honestly think that David Mazouz is actually really terrible. I'm honestly surprised other people like him so much. His Bruce is so precious and pretentious, and a real wimp.

I mean, I don't blame the show (or Mazouz, he's a kid). They got him as a child actor, and their Selina turned out to be pretty good. Guess that's what happens when you roll the dice.

Gawain The Blind posted:

Society breaking down and crazies running rampant in fenced-in Got Ham would have been good tv.

That's what happened though. That was the show.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gawain The Blind posted:

The main thing I'm taking away from this show is that David Mazouz is loving awesome and I hope he gets a better show when this loving shitpile is finally over.

I was like "gently caress ya, Penguin is the best thing about this show" but then I realized you wrote David Mazouz and not Robin Lord Taylor

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Open Source Idiom posted:

That's what happened though. That was the show.

It is. They got from A to B, but they did it in a much less realistic way. And I realize asking for realism in a show with a magic plant chick and dudes with brain control chips is ridiculous, but here's what I'm getting at: it would have been a much more realistic transition from normal to Got Ham to have a micro society inside of an enforced bubble with starvation and gang warfare completely collapse. Nobody is left to guard the prison or make sure the inmates at Arkham don't get out. People are just fighting for basic survival. It's an environment in which something like the joker or scarecrow could actually happen, given some uniquely crazy individuals happen to be wandering around.

People could have left, at any time, in the show we got. The federal government could have intervened at any time. It wasn't a closed environment pressure cooker. There was no need for cannibalism. The writers had to introduce more and more goofy, outlandish poo poo and dumb coincidences in order to make it all happen and get us to the same place where a guy dressing up as a bat and punching faces is believable.

It could have been better, is my point.

I agree that pinguin was also really good though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gawain The Blind posted:

it would have been a much more realistic transition from normal to Got Ham to have a micro society inside of an enforced bubble with starvation and gang warfare completely collapse. Nobody is left to guard the prison or make sure the inmates at Arkham don't get out. People are just fighting for basic survival. It's an environment in which something like the joker or scarecrow could actually happen, given some uniquely crazy individuals happen to be wandering around.

Except that the city being cut off and abandoned by the state is also completely ludicrous on its own. Nothing about that is plausible.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

How is there literally not a single boat of any kind in Gotham? Not even a rowboat anywhere in that huge chunk of city? Really? Also, can't people just...swim to safety if they're that desperate? The old and infirm couldn't make that trip, sure, but healthy young adults should be able to make a one-way swim trip like that without much issue...especially to escape a city that's gotten the worst it has ever been.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheLoneStar posted:

How is there literally not a single boat of any kind in Gotham? Not even a rowboat anywhere in that huge chunk of city? Really? Also, can't people just...swim to safety if they're that desperate? The old and infirm couldn't make that trip, sure, but healthy young adults should be able to make a one-way swim trip like that without much issue...especially to escape a city that's gotten the worst it has ever been.

The river is probably filled with GMO Supersharks, Megapiranhas, and Hypergators

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The Bloop posted:

The river is probably filled with GMO Supersharks, Megapiranhas, and Hypergators

and Killer Crocs.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Open Source Idiom posted:

and Killer Crocs.
Sadly he got gibbed by a truck like a complete chump.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I still say the final episode of Gotham should be a musical. ;)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm digging how after being cut off for only a couple months there's already groups of victorian cockney urchins in threadbare velvet and heavily modified wasteland mutants.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

I'm digging how after being cut off for only a couple months there's already groups of victorian cockney urchins in threadbare velvet and heavily modified wasteland mutants.

I mean, there were already those things in Gotham

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Bloop posted:

I mean, there were already those things in Gotham
"Finally, my filed teeth and axe hand are useful outside of Burning Man, it's Craig the Marauder's time to shine"

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

TheLoneStar posted:

They built a wall!

Naw, seriously, iirc correctly, in the comics the military has a ton of patrols, fencing, boats, helicopters, etc on all surrounding sides, ready to shoot on sight. They've got snipers on all those half-a-bridges, giving them a great view of any traffic in the water. The water might even be mined? So it's sorta like asking "why don't Mexicans just rowboat/swim across the Rio Grande?" Except this border patrol won't just arrest you/send you back, they'll straight up fire an rpg at your boat.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Repeat? :saddowns:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

They've got seven episodes left and they want to stretch them out over the next 11 weeks. (Finale's coming April 24th, reportedly). So expect a lot a lot a lot of repeats.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I love Nygma.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

All of Gordon's girlfriends are good again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty funny that Gordon just kind of left Eduardo there. Didn't even check to see if he was actually dead or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The one time Bullock outwits someone...