Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm catching up from mid-season 3 where I stopped watching and I really love the arc Gotham has taken. Are there any good interviews with the producers about how, when, and why they made the transition from gritty realistic crime thriller season 1 to embracing full blown comic book camp by the end? It reminds me a lot of the stories of how when they made the Adam West Batman the showrunners decided the only way they could do a Batman tv show was to make it a spoof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

tarlibone posted:

Ending a show with the audience wanting more is something, though. Most shows don't manage to do that.

They didn't play it as a finale to their origin story arc though, it felt like they were playing it as 'this is our bridge to the next season'... except it isn't. Timeskip, spend the whole episode building up to 'things are about to get crazy in Gotham again', then end.

Very smart use of Batman though. Even aside from the fact that they can't put David Mazouz in the suit because nobody will buy it, they knew that anything more than flashes of him will get them compared to the other depictions. Batman is a presence you can feel in the entire episode and that's really good.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Timby posted:

Season 1 was a bit strange because they were trying to blend Burton and Nolan aesthetics and it didn't quite click.

Once the second season came around, though, it was off to the races of bugnuts insane.

Yeah in season 1 they're aiming much more towards the 'real world detective stories with dark gothic elements' and the mafia plotline is similarly straightforward. From season 2 onwards there's a rapid acceleration towards being a live-action version of the cartoon series, and it's clear that everyone had a lot more fun when they just embraced that and started hamming it up in every scene.