Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

The only experience I have is with the calendars that I've sold, which is not many. I don't have an idea how to get more people in for that either, I've just been trying my luck posting about it on Twitter and Tumblr.

So far I've sold more than expected (18 this year), but far less than what would be needed to make this profitable in any way.

Commissions I've never gotten, and even when I offered free drawing requests only very few people actually took me up on the offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Sharpest Crayon posted:

And get this, there's plenty of fetishes that require you to draw no cocks whatsoever!

So when you're doing a vore commission, does that count as one figure or two for pricing?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Depends on how far in the other character is.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
More doodling

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Little doodle in the bus

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
More fishketches!

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Liking that blobfish!

Edit: And the rest as well I should add.

Claeaus fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 22, 2019

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Sharpest Crayon posted:

:words:

I do wish a couple of people who actually make a living with commissions or art would answer your question 'cause I'd love to know, too. Ey, peeps with art money! Get in here and tell Lofi how to make the big bucks!

I don't draw art professionally but for secret santa I looked for art goons in the market place open for commissions. Seems like a thread here on these very forms could be a place to start. I only found one art goon in the market place.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Here is elf. Tried a more intuitive, less structured approach - so much that the character is on a single layer O.O
I think it's a solid approach for me- I saw dramatic improvement when I adjusted some things that otherwise might get "stuck" as they were because of the structured approach.

Edit: this guy too-

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 24, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

syntaxrigger posted:

I don't draw art professionally but for secret santa I looked for art goons in the market place open for commissions. Seems like a thread here on these very forms could be a place to start. I only found one art goon in the market place.

Thanks, that's a really good idea! :)

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

dang, dogs!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Travel sketches from my vacation in London/Edinburgh. Turns out, it's a bad idea for someone from a tropical climate to remove their gloves to draw in most places in the UK!

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I do wish a couple of people who actually make a living with commissions or art would answer your question 'cause I'd love to know, too. Ey, peeps with art money! Get in here and tell Lofi how to make the big bucks!

I'm still trying to figure out how to make the big bucks, but I've made enough small/medium bucks over the last 5 years doing freelance work to pay most of our rent and food. The main lesson I've taken from my time freelancing is to have cool friends who know or work for companies needing art, and also to have a very supporting spouse who is willing to put up with irregular an late paychecks.

Those probably aren't the most important lessons I should have learned but I've manage to luck into some regular paying gigs just thanks to friends. The main advice I'd give people looking to start freelancing is to please, for the love of go stay off of sites like UpWork, Freelancer, E-Lancer, and any other international freelance site. All they o is take an additional percentage of your money from jobs you get on there, and as a bonus you have to competitively price yourself against people who live in places where their rent is like $100 a month. All these sites do is just rive down the cost of your work.

Merry Christmas, ya'll!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

Travel sketches from my vacation in London/Edinburgh. Turns out, it's a bad idea for someone from a tropical climate to remove their gloves to draw in most places in the UK!

These rule. I also took a trip to Edinburgh this year, and it's, like, a painter's dream. So many amazing things to sketch and paint.

Great work.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

These rule. I also took a trip to Edinburgh this year, and it's, like, a painter's dream. So many amazing things to sketch and paint.

Great work.

Thanks! Incidentally, if I'd known about the V&A Museum in London sooner, I'd have scheduled a whole day just to stay there sketching. Instead, we only decided to go there on our last day in the country, 1.5 hours before the museum's closing time. Entering the sculpture areas filled me with soooo much regret.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Carth Dookie posted:

I've been watching some Shibasaki videos on YouTube and that has pointed me at some other Japanese watercolour painters that I thought the thread might enjoy, so here's some links:

Shibasaki obviously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biIoj1sROnc

The Harusaki pair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bztrdkSGdx8

Those two I've mentioned before. New that I've found that probably should have more followers than they do:

Sakai Yoshimoto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmM2iFxIU5M

Who I really like the style of. Last is Osamu Murata who does some wildly colourful poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crmmnDGFceo

Not exactly my kind of thing, but still really cool. Hope you guys enjoy.

These rule, by the way. I was only familiar with Shibasaki, so I'm glad I have a little more variety in styles to watch.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

These rule, by the way. I was only familiar with Shibasaki, so I'm glad I have a little more variety in styles to watch.

Glad you like them, so here's another:

Found an American guy named Gary Tucker who does some excellent tonal work that's rather different from the Japanese guys and girls I've posted so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKEoNQJzsMk

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Trying some stippling, this poo poo takes forever.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Merry whatever-the-gently caress you personally happen to celebrate this time of the year, everyone!

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Happy Christmas for you Christian goons and Happy Hanukkah to my fellow Jews. Here is the traditional furry/sonic oriented B&W Christmas pin-up

Edit: and here's s sketch - (some reference used for the pose)

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 26, 2019

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Got some crow quill pens for christmas and gave them a test drive

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Hellbeard posted:

Happy Christmas for you Christian goons and Happy Hanukkah to my fellow Jews. Here is the traditional furry/sonic oriented B&W Christmas pin-up

:catstare:

lofi fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 26, 2019

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Hi there, I've only been drawing for about 4 years but this seems like a real chill place to share and talk about art? So I'll just share these two things real quickly, and hope you all like it.

This one's a finished piece from less than a month ago:

And a fanart I'm working on of Lio Fotia from Promare. He will get clothes later! At least pants, anyway. (I typically draw girls more than guys, so I'm using this one to practice male musculature and form.)

I also have a recent Christmas one, but I didn't want to flood the post with that many images!

Edit: Please forgive my fumbling of bbc code!

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 26, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

You never guess what console + game I impuls bought last weekend.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

My fifth oil painting ever, a study of Peter Paul Rubens' Clara Serena. I like how beautifully oil handles but it's a stinky, messy, process, and awful to maintain, so I don't think I'll ever be doing more than one a year; more likely, I'll be doing fewer than that. Much prefer digital/water based.

Dawnfire posted:

Hi there, I've only been drawing for about 4 years but this seems like a real chill place to share and talk about art? So I'll just share these two things real quickly, and hope you all like it.

This one's a finished piece from less than a month ago:

And a fanart I'm working on of Lio Fotia from Promare. He will get clothes later! At least pants, anyway. (I typically draw girls more than guys, so I'm using this one to practice male musculature and form.)

That's great, I took embarrassingly longer than 4 years to understand that perspective was crucial even when only drawing characters.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Argue posted:

My fifth oil painting ever, a study of Peter Paul Rubens' Clara Serena. I like how beautifully oil handles but it's a stinky, messy, process, and awful to maintain, so I don't think I'll ever be doing more than one a year; more likely, I'll be doing fewer than that. Much prefer digital/water based.

That's great, I took embarrassingly longer than 4 years to understand that perspective was crucial even when only drawing characters.

Thank you! I can tell there's still a bit wrong with the perspective on his upper body, unfortunately, but I definitely do want to start incorporating perspective a lot more. I just have a real bad time compartmentalizing the human form into simple shapes to fit on the planes.

I also really love that oil painting. It's a got great brush strokes and feels really lively. I've done 4 semesters of oil painting before, but I have a real hard time just letting the brush strokes show through. Most of my stuff ends up being a bad mix of blotchy and smooth.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I get the impression that you've found good instructional material already, so maybe you're already doing this, but if you aren't already doing so I recommend checking out Proko's figure drawing class, then his anatomy class, on YouTube. All of the most important material is free and his channel is a wealth of information. He covers everything from broad gesture to specific muscles in easily digestible ~10 minute videos.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

You never guess what console + game I impuls bought last weekend.

Keetron, what brush do you use when you paint?

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Haven't drawn in a while so this felt like ripping my fingernails off.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Keetron, what brush do you use when you paint?

If I remember correctly these were done with a Silver Black Velvet no6, these guys are my workhorses for when I am @home. In the field I use the Escoda Reserva travel set (4, 6, 10).

How come you ask?

Keetron fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 27, 2019

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Argue posted:

I get the impression that you've found good instructional material already, so maybe you're already doing this, but if you aren't already doing so I recommend checking out Proko's figure drawing class, then his anatomy class, on YouTube. All of the most important material is free and his channel is a wealth of information. He covers everything from broad gesture to specific muscles in easily digestible ~10 minute videos.

Oh yeah, I have actually checked his stuff out before and it's really great! I did go through all of his figure drawing basic videos, but only partway through his portraiture stuff. I should rewatch some of them and get further. I always feel like I don't quite have gesture drawing down...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

If I remember correctly these were done with a Silver Black Velvet no6, these guys are my workhorses for when I am @home. In the field I use the Escoda Reserva travel set (4, 6, 10).

How come you ask?

Something about your soccer bunny made me think you were using one of those watercolor brush pens that you load up with water, and I wanted it clarified out of curiosity. Do you like the Escoda Reserva travel set? I've thought about getting them, but I have plenty of brushes already.

I haven’t contributed in a while, so here’s the stuff I did today while at work:

I lack a lot of confidence with eyes, noses and mouths, and drawing women in general, so here are some practice sketches I did. About 5-10 minutes for each one.

If anyone has advice for eyes, noses and mouths besides ‘just keep drawing them’ or watching Proko, I’m open to it.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 27, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

You're probably drawing too small - it's really tempting to try and fit in all the fiddly details of the facial features even when you're drawing tiny, and it just becomes a mess. There's a reason (well, a few) that comics simplify faces. If you want to practice facial features, make the face 10cm or so high.

Learn facial proportion rules (it looks like you're already on this one from your construction lines)

Find pics of facial features. Draw the facial features. Learn. Repeat.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

lofi posted:

You're probably drawing too small - it's really tempting to try and fit in all the fiddly details of the facial features even when you're drawing tiny, and it just becomes a mess. There's a reason (well, a few) that comics simplify faces. If you want to practice facial features, make the face 10cm or so high.

Learn facial proportion rules (it looks like you're already on this one from your construction lines)

Find pics of facial features. Draw the facial features. Learn. Repeat.

Yeah, I need to draw bigger. The rest is pretty much what I've been doing.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Do you like the Escoda Reserva travel set?

Yes, they are amazing brushes, no reason to ever go back to water brushes that are not that suited for dry brushing or sucking up excess moisture.
If you want to get only one, get a 6 or an 8. I find the 10 to big and the 4 rather fiddly but that can be style.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
smoking islands

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Here's two art pieces I made for my niece and my nephews:

Also here's some doodles by request from previously mentioned nephew:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
another one of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Al! posted:

another one of these

Based on this piece and glancing over the rest of the pieces you've posted in this thread, I think you should spend some focused time on studying light. I think it would be an extremely rich vein for you to mine that will have a big impact on improving your work.

When I say "study light", I'm talking basically about an artist's version of Optics. For anyone who wants to do representational renderings, it's really important to have an intuitive working model of how light sources interact with surfaces. Understanding this stuff will help give everything you paint a better sense of three dimensional form(because the primary way we discern form is by how light falls on a shape), and it's also a great way to get a better handle on controlling value in general (because value is the primary tool an artist uses to communicate light and form).

It seems like you're struggling to create convincing depth in much of your work, and I think it's because the light in your scenes is not well understood. This causes any individual form within the scene to feel flattened and artificial, and the overall value composition to be haphazard, rather than focused as a tool to create a strong sense of space.

This Proko video is a good a starting point as any for beginning to learn this stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3WmrWUEIJo

The way I personally started learning these principles was observational still life drawing with pencil or charcoal (small scenes with strong directional light sources that will give you a chance to observe all kinds of shadows), and I'd recommend starting there if it sounds tolerable.