Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Welcome to the daily drawings and doodles thread!

Are you doing a daily drawing challenge for a month or year? Post here!
Doodle something cool that's not good enough to go anywhere else? Post here!
Don't feel confident enough to call your art "art" yet? Post here!
Sketches, studies, artistic successes and failures, paintings real and digital, incomplete efforts, technique/colour/material tests, poo poo you drew in the margins of your textbook?

:justpost:

No art is too terrible to post. If you want to talk about the art thing you made or ask for advice on your art thing, guess what? You can post here!

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
To get us started on a glorious new year, a new qwent card!:

(I just got the borders n poo poo from a gwent card-maker online)

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

heavy liquid posted:

I'm going to try and do a drawing a day. I'm sure to varying degrees of success and failure. We'll see how it goes. Might be pencil, might be digital, might be crayons. Right now it's pencil.

You're off to a good start! With a daily grind I found that sometimes Life comes at you with special punching gloves and that you should be forgiving to yourself if your daily art turns out to be a doodle of a bunnybutt, as long as you get it done.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

almost done with this commission

Alternate dimension Jhonny 5-aces, I see. Just missing the bulge. Looking good though! I'm particularly impressed by the green glare on the glasses, telling me he's got the special coating on his expensive almost-frameless glasses.

my buddy Superfly posted:

New year new dogs.

Have you given any thought to how long you're gonna keep going with dogs? I mean. Cats. Bunnies. Just sayin'.

Here's a neural blowout:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Today I thought "Yeah my lizardperson is shaping up, well, maybe I should try to stop hiding behind claw-feet and do a proper pair of boots too" and well what do you know, normal people boots look really out of place on lizard-people.
"Maybe they look out of place 'cause she has no other clothes!"
Then I tried to give her more clothes and since I wasn't doing proper thinking, I went with my Default Clothes, turtleneck shirt and shorts.

"Now my badass lizard-woman is wearing teenager gear that's badly outdated. Do I .. do I give her tits to make her look older? Why would a lizard even have tits? That's it I'm done for today."

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

The improvement is well visible, but my favourite is how well your newer version captures a mood - the soft shading really makes a change.

This pikatchu looks like someone just found the puddle it left in a shoe. :3:

As for the lizard, I realized the proportions needed some adjusting to make her older.

I also tried some lizardhands, but I think functional hands might've been the better option. Not much you can do clotheswise if you character's thumb-deficient. Clawfeet make a glorious return. There's just so much power that the character loses with humanoid feet and shoes.
I think I started too humanoid to begin with, and might continue pushing in the other direction.

edited to add p.s: toasty lizard

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

I had to stop this because I had a terrible urge to draw an axolotl.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

Hello, I like the look of this place. I'm a fledgling artist, learning by doing I guess. I don't have time (or patience) for structured learning, and my biggest problem is inspiration.

What you people call "doodles" is a bit confronting. I hope stupid questions are OK here, coz I have heaps.

Welcome art friend!
This thread basically works as a catch-all art thread, really, and daily progress on high art is just as welcome as stick figures giving the finger. I finally went and changed the first post to reflect that, so don't be worried thinking that all of this is us just effortlessly cranking out a quick masterpiece in 5 mins flat while we compose a sonata to our talent and then calling it a doodle.
Questions are most welcome! Ask away! There's always a good chance that someone else might be struggling with the exact same problem you have, so it's a chance to learn for everyone when someone brings stuff up.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

Stupid question: How do you do these [......]? Are they digital, or drawings? I don't know how to tell, and I'd like to try the medium. It reminds me of Archie comics.

They are digital. You tend to develop an eye for telling apart digital and traditional drawings through experience of seeing both traditional and digital drawings. There are some tells you can look for, like here:

It's easy to tell these are traditional, because the first one bears the blurring of areas that aren't in focus of the camera lens. The fact it's still attached to the binder also tells us that this is unlikely to be a scan - if it was, there would be scanner-glare at the edges of the drawing that show outside the paper. The second one is either a photo with a better camera, taken from further back of a wider area and then recropped or more likely a scan, since it's all in focus. I chose these as examples, because they show how off-white both photos and scans are. Compare to Shin's digital work:

It's full-bright, perfect white all over. Traditional scans require colour-correction through digital means, which is a lot of bother and difficult and often still leaves a bit of the paper grain showing in the case of full-white backgrounds.
Now compare between these again - the grain of the paper or canvas affects the tools that are used on it, making marker and pastel lines uneven where they "skip" over the paper's grain, or blown out where they soak into the paper. The lines in the digital work are perfect, with no variation in line width or visibility. The ends of the lines are round and blunt, showing the round form of the digital tool, whereas the markers tend to taper off when you lift them off the paper, or blot out a bit if you're drawing slow and careful, or leave a finer, less visible line when you draw fast or light. Even the sketch layer's lines are perfect on Shin's work. The uniformity of tools and lack of texture are big "tells" of digital. Now, many digital brushes will mimic traditional tools to throw you off, but even then a sharp eye and an examination of the colours and textures of a pic will show when a work is digital. The dark smudging in A hole-y ghost's work would be really difficult to replicate in digital, because digital tools, even ones with a bit of randomizing, will leave more uniform textures behind - they repeat the same patterns.
Argue's work here is a great example of digital grain:

There's a nice grit variation in the linework, especially pay attention to the hair and the line of the arm. There's also wonderful blending and smudging between many colours with a chunky brush that mimics the signs of a traditional work, but there's no canvas or paper grain visible - the coverage of the colours is too good to be traditional, and the saturation and richness of all the colours is a sign of a digital palette. The easiest way to tell this is digital is to look at the background grain. It's a drat good brush, creating a very convincing randomized texture, but even then there's repetition of brushstrokes that's too uniform to be traditional. Now look at the right upper corner, where the colour changes from bright to dark - can you see the smooth dark line, how it changes the underlaying colours and textures uniformly to a darker colour? Now look around the pic, behind the witch's head and on her face. The same uniform muting and darkening of colours, a digital effect done either by a darkening/burning brush or overlaying a darker colour on top of the background in a semi-transparent layer.

These are just a few examples, there's tons more nitty-gritty stuff that's hard to point out - stuff you come to know through seeing and working with both traditional and digital media.

Now, if you want to try digital media, the entry fee is just above 100bux - about how much you'd pay for a decent drawing tablet. A tablet is an essential if you want to draw digital, though not necessary if you just want to do digital art through photomanipulation and effects. I use a free art program called Artweaver, though many swear in the name of Gimp or Krita when it comes to free programs.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I've been busy making GBS threads up being a productive tarot artist in Spinderella's tarot thread.

As you can clearly see, they all use the original tarot cards as bases. Ironically, I'm so slow at cut & paste nitpicking that doing the shitposter, spaceship and pua like this took me way longer than it would've done to just redraw the whole thing.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

heavy liquid posted:

thought a frost/ice witch might be cool

The one time, ONE TIME where you could've used mittens to cover up hands so you wouldn't need to draw them, and look at you loving it up by drawing them anyway.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Theokotos posted:

Wip; if Cronenberg and Lynch collaborated on a sweat pants solution.

I just wanted to say I'd be all over this. gently caress everything, I'm a warm comfortable worm from now on, this is my life.

I'm digging the hell outta this. It's like a headache in picture form. This .. uh, I wish I knew proper words, "ugly people and weird angles" approach is something I've tried and failed to get a handle on so many times.

Love the colour blends! Now animate the sky :unsmigghh:

If there's something I love, it's jumping on bandwagons. Kitty witch!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Whippets are all angles and joints

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

lofi posted:

Whippets are loving great! :3:

I think it was some sorta miniature version of one even, because it was real small and it looked unreal. Like some sorta cgi animal. It was like someone who only had gazelle parts was told to put together a dog using only mathematical formulae for speed as their guide. I kept thinking I could pick it up by closing my hand around its waist, but that I'd need a full arm's length to go around the chest and worried that if it turned wrong it'd zip out of reality into another dimension.

..I obviously asked where I could get one.

Argue posted:

What are the ethics of publishing a portrait you did of a stranger whose selfie just showed up on your Twitter timeline

I personally would feel iffy about it, but I'm like a bundle of moral nerves. Then again, there's that one dude who did nothing but print out random people's selfies he got on twitter and he sold them for hundreds of thousands a piece. He didn't even do anything to them, you at least actually made an art out of the pic. I'd also love to hear what other people's morals say about this, because mine is like "don't make money off it or ask for permission to publish?" but this is something I've struggled with too.
Also I dig the portrait, that fork brush works fantastic in the hair especially.

Elentor posted:

Snoop Donna:

Now I wanna see scripture written of Snoop Donna. Best saint ever.

aaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAaaaaAAAaaAAAA IT'S SO PRETTY AND SQUISHY :kimchi: I want to hug it forever, I love the translucency!

I made a bunny. Again. The bunnies are neverending.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

You best have shoved those all inside your mouth! Talking about the lychees, which are a sweet fragrant blessing on mankind. Then get your hands on all the lychee juice you can and chug that down, too. Then bake a lychee pie on an internet recipe that someone put a thumbs up for despite the fact that the crumb base turns into an oily slush because some rear end in a top hat never actually tried making this, and then you eat the pie anyway because it's lychees, damnit.
Your art of them captured their juicy essence and I crave for them now.

And the first contender for our "Biggest Blep" award shows up out of the blue!

Move over Shinmera, I'm muscling in on your turf with the straightest of lines!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Omg yes. At first I was like "aaah what a cozy kitty with a fuzzy blanket" and then I saw the black paw and went "AAAAAH IT'S ANOTHER KITTY" :swoon:

Drawing Throsby fanart. This lovely gal is Trinketjuice, a model on a mission to save her world from nuclear war by making love to the president. I'm not kidding.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Char designing.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

lofi posted:

Been really struggling lately with depression-stuff, so it was good to break the drought today, even if I didn't get masses done:

I'm sorry your dealing with sadbrains, poo poo sucks hard.
Your friend looks like she's judging me from the 60's.

The vampires are becoming a Thing and I'm in denial about it 'cause there's nothing that can ruin a good thing like slapping a definite label on it.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

I love this so much, you don't even know. Such attention to detail, too!

This is so 80's I can smell the hairspray from here. Good job capturing the aesthetic!

You can expect this bullshit to continue until further notice, I got like 3 more proper characters and several miscellanious to burn through yet.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Yes. YES. HAHAHAHAHA YESSSS you glorious chunky blep, c'mere, I'm gonna hug the gently caress out of you.

Crocobile posted:

Hi everyone! I'm hoping to get into something closer to a daily drawing habit. Fostering healthy habits is hard!

Hi! Welcome to the thread! Developing new habits IS difficult. It helps if you set aside a specific time in your day when you do the art thing, don't trust that you'll always feel like doing art every day on your own. I love these all, but this one especially (the 20 min ones, I take it?) . The two tones of the markers blend beautifully to create volume. I also chose this one to quote because...

Flavius Aetass posted:

(i can't tell if these are digital or not because i'm dumb)

Not being able to tell is not a function of your intelligence! In non-obvious cases it takes time to develop the eye.
The biggest tell that this is traditional is the scanner-darkening in the lower-right corner. The paper is uneven, bent up at that corner and as a result, the scanner's light has scattered instead of capturing the white of the paper.
More subtle signs include the smudging and light blowout of the black ink that's happened when marker has been added after the black ink outlines, visible especially in the dark greyish shade left on the right character's hair stubble, the braid going down her arm, and the "poo poo I ran my hand over this too quick" marks under the character's right arm where the darkest area is. (also visible in the third pic in the same place) There's also an unevenness to the distribution of colour on the markers that's hard to replicate with digital (look at the original red knee line, how it's blorted out strong colour when the marker's been put down, then fades with the quickly made stroke when the flow of the marker can't physically keep up). The red marker shows the same signs of drying out in the two pics above it - the blue marker in the topmost pic flows better.
You'll note the topmost blue pic (compare to the red pic under) has a soft focus throughout, with a slightly darkened area of paper grain or IRL smudge visible throughout the character's shading on the areas where there's no black outline - again, an effect that doesn't appear in digital art.

One of these days someone is gonna look at all this and purposefully make a pic with added scanner darkening and paper grain and finely crafted smudges and be smug af.

Al ! posted:

mosspunk

I can tell that this is digital from some of the pixels. :eng101:
Also it turns out mosspunk is extremely my jam. I really like how you go effortlessly from dark cities to lonely nature.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

a hole-y ghost posted:

Thorsby fanart :wth: ah man I need to get around to doing some sometime, his comics are absolutely mad

He's one of the few artists that I like where the absolute best quality in his work is how his enthusiasm and love for it shines through. I will take passionate mspaint comics over soulless but technically impeccable work any day.

Fukken niiiiiiice. Is this .. did any of them actually wear glasses? Because it's both great and I can't remember if that's a thing that happened in Star Trek.

Anyway I've knocked out the last char sketches.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

lofi posted:

Something I've noticed is that when you're drawing different expressions, the face shape doesn't move - for smiling/grinning in particular, it might be worth looking into how the cheeks raise, and how the facial outline changes.

I'd also suggest trying some more full-body poses with each character, if you can pin down their body language (agressive, dainty, etc) you'll be able to show their character very effectively through that.

The face shape not moving is not a bug, it's feature! Here I forgot that I didn't post this thing I made before I started even on the first character design and maybe I should've 'cause this would be obvious otherwise:

I'm designing them as game characters - think a visual novel game like Phoenix Wright. The lazy cut & paste faces are there to show me how many easy expressions I can knock out without having to draw more angles or poses. I'll have to get some head tilts and pose changes done, but I'm trying to keep 'em to a minimum. You're right in that they'll need more defined body language, but I've at least got my starting points jotted down before I start adding meat to the characters. This is also the reason I didn't make the default poses full-body ones: they've all got the cutoff at the waist. Who needs legs anyway.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

lofi posted:

You too, huh? I blame the loving sun for shirking its duties. There's probably a cool german word for the longing for a bit of good sun-warmth. I am desperate to just sit somewhere outside in the warm and draw something.

I am really in the wrong loving country.

Al ! posted:

ok i guess winter SAD must be a thing because besides a couple of manic episodes i've been barely been able to eek out anything since january, i mostly just stab at my tablet for a while hoping some line will catch my fancy, give up and go play video games

Winter SAD is real, and strong, and my friend a visitor who shows up unannounced and overstays their welcome every year. What country you in, lofi? Because I'm in Finland and I can't remember what sunlight looks like.

I had to stop myself from physically smooshing my face into my screen to get at that tummy fluff! Aaaah!

Done misc. chars and foodkitties.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Progress is slow, but inevitable.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
More sketching and trying out some colour schemes.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Bendy.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I personally love how you've used a soft focus in several spots to good effect.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Still working on vampires.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

I want to know what crimes the tree did to deserve to be tied down like that. How powerful is it? What will happen when it breaks loose?

Perfect "no, gently caress YOU dad!" expression!

Ibblebibble posted:

Some live drawing of coworkers during downtime.

Do you literally work with Dilbert or what? Incredible.

IkeTurner posted:

Gray card stock, marker, and white pencil.

Edit: More snow.

Niiiice. I really like how especially in these two, the greyscale on card stock gives them the feel of an old, slightly yellowed black & white photo. It feels comfortable.

I'm meltiiiing oh what a world.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

my buddy Superfly posted:

I'm enjoying drawing overly complex armor stuff right now so I drew my destiny lady.

:swoon: I love this!

Sketching

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

this has a very "candid photo of a cryptid" quality to it

Thanks! It's pretty coarse, as is this one.

I thought your raven was fan-freaking-tastic btw and you're making great progress with your birbs. I've just been too tired to comment on all the great stuff people churn out in this thread. Whomsoever reads this, consider yourself complimented.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
First run of badge designs.

I'll be kicking out a lot of them for reasons that should be very obvious when you look at them, inking and roughcolouring the rest, then cut it down to five designs out of the ones I liked and finishing them. Hopefully.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Progress, progress, we have progressed.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Flavius Aetass posted:

do they still sell gbx boots

https://www.newrock.com/en/military-bootie/44049-545655821-metallic-m-mili083c-c1.html#/20003-talla-36

This store has tons of different models, colours, and they all cost an arm and a leg. Super chunky bottoms tho, wanna stomp on a face with dem boots.

I really miss the fashion of huge buckle-filled boots. There's nothing for your self-confidence like suddenly being tall but also walking around in lethal weapons.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

The Muffinlord posted:

https://twitter.com/muffinlordArt/status/1111698966754877441?s=19
Did a commission for a friend. I'll never pass up a chance to try getting better at drawing real people.

I super need to know: how much did you struggle with the underside of the nose, on whether or not you wanted nostrils there?

also I made elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

i worked on this compulsively for 10 straight hours

It shows. Real fukken nice.

I've been trying to do the whole "values" thing too.