Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Whoop, didn't realise there was a new thread!

Hey guys, aint posted in a fairly long time but I recently decided to buy some mechanical pencils and Ive been loving about with traditional media alot!

Recently I drew a Southern Dandy! Have to say some mechanical pencils have been an absolutely perfect investment, it really does feel like a much better drawing experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Not sure if this is the right place, but everyone in here is usually super helpful when it comes to art tips.

I've been commissioned to do a poster for some independent film maker, and whilst it's a small film I still don't want to use any fonts that might not be OK for commercial use.

Does anyone know a place with any cheap/free fonts that can be used commercially?

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Phylodox posted:

http://dafont.com

I’ve found some good fonts there, and you have the option of searching for only 100% free use fonts.

Thanks for this and everyone else who suggested fonts. I got a font that was free for commercial use and that the guy comissioning me was happy with.

Here's the near completed work (Just gotta throw on credits etc on in the bottom space once he sends them over)

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Hey thread!

I've been super antisocial with RL so havnt posted on here (or anywhere much!) but my drawing itch came back over the last few days, and I decided to finally face up to a perfectionist challenge. A self portrait!

Two days later and Im happy...ish... with what I've got.

Sketch:

Painted:

Reference:

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Welcome back!

You've got the opposite of what I've got here: I tend to automatically paint faces thinner than they are. You got the nose down pat which is like 90% of the battle of faces.

If you ever feel stuck, here's my special secret to portraits when I know I'm off but can't quite spot where 'cause I've been staring at the painting for too long, trying to make that nose work and gently caress this, gently caress everything:
Cheating. Make another layer on top of your reference, trace the main features' outlines, copy this layer on top of your painting and adjust the size to where the eye/nose area (or main elements you've got down) fit the size/shape of the outline. Swear under your breath, adjust accordingly. Tell yourself "This is educational. I'm learning the themes of where I usually go wrong and thus learning to avoid such mistakes in the future. I'm not cheating. I'M NOT CHEATING."

Seriously though, I don't trace at the start 'cause while you do get more accuracy that way, it also leaves the subjects a bit stiff and lifeless and does not help you develop your skills at seeing proportions. It's also easy to enter uncanny valley like those Wikihow pictures if you start with tracing. However, it's a useful tool to see where you've hosed up.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah I used to use the grid method but I've moved away from that lately. I definitely made myself far chunkier than in real life. I use the plum line method sometimes but I've never overlaid my drawing over the original picture. I should start but as you say it feels like cheating hah

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Hey people. I've not been coming on SA much, but I've been continuing to practice and try and develop.

Here's my latest piece, messing around with a more stylised aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

sammyv posted:

You should come on more, that's really nice. Love the choices you've made with colours and layout.

Thanks! I should make more effort to come on. Im always really glad when I do because so much nice art gets posted on here.

smallmouth posted:

Great job!

Thank you!