Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Hi there, I've only been drawing for about 4 years but this seems like a real chill place to share and talk about art? So I'll just share these two things real quickly, and hope you all like it.

This one's a finished piece from less than a month ago:

And a fanart I'm working on of Lio Fotia from Promare. He will get clothes later! At least pants, anyway. (I typically draw girls more than guys, so I'm using this one to practice male musculature and form.)

I also have a recent Christmas one, but I didn't want to flood the post with that many images!

Edit: Please forgive my fumbling of bbc code!

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Argue posted:

My fifth oil painting ever, a study of Peter Paul Rubens' Clara Serena. I like how beautifully oil handles but it's a stinky, messy, process, and awful to maintain, so I don't think I'll ever be doing more than one a year; more likely, I'll be doing fewer than that. Much prefer digital/water based.

That's great, I took embarrassingly longer than 4 years to understand that perspective was crucial even when only drawing characters.

Thank you! I can tell there's still a bit wrong with the perspective on his upper body, unfortunately, but I definitely do want to start incorporating perspective a lot more. I just have a real bad time compartmentalizing the human form into simple shapes to fit on the planes.

I also really love that oil painting. It's a got great brush strokes and feels really lively. I've done 4 semesters of oil painting before, but I have a real hard time just letting the brush strokes show through. Most of my stuff ends up being a bad mix of blotchy and smooth.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Argue posted:

I get the impression that you've found good instructional material already, so maybe you're already doing this, but if you aren't already doing so I recommend checking out Proko's figure drawing class, then his anatomy class, on YouTube. All of the most important material is free and his channel is a wealth of information. He covers everything from broad gesture to specific muscles in easily digestible ~10 minute videos.

Oh yeah, I have actually checked his stuff out before and it's really great! I did go through all of his figure drawing basic videos, but only partway through his portraiture stuff. I should rewatch some of them and get further. I always feel like I don't quite have gesture drawing down...