Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Went on another Explore and Draw session, this time at Rochester Cathedral, down in one of the chapels.

This was with a sort of water soluble wax crayon, but I think it's a bit of a gimmick medium really.

A combination of some really soft pencils and metallic pencils from Derwent,

And this one was watercolour with fineliner outlines. The reflections started to make a face, so I sort of tried to lift it out. I like the effect of the water colour, but not end result.

Other sketches
This is a tiny water colour of a WW2 pillbox that fell down the cliffs.

These were from another Explore and Draw, this time in a lightship that's been converted to an art centre. Much prefer these to the cathedral pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Al! posted:

requesting a critique on this one because it feels like a high point in terms of lighting

You specifically requested critique, so here goes. The way you've spread the light around from the sources is really neat, but I think that the ambient lighting is wrong; there's too much of it - the cave's light enough that I don't think there'd be that much visible light from the electrics, and the light coming in from the entrance looks like it should be warm going by the colour of the sky, but it looks too cold.

I've got a question for people - with watercolours, what's the best way to add texture to my sea to make it look more watery?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

It's actually the same paint on all sections, but yeah, you're right about it being wet on dry. I'm using a little Windsor and Newton travel set for these.

What happened, was I did the initial sea, then wanted it darker at the back (the sea there has lots of different dark and light areas due to it being an estuary rather than open ocean), so tried to layer darker on top, but obviously didn't get the blending right, same with the middle area.

Will try wet on wet next time, and what you said about simplifying shapes.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Decided to start trying to do an Inktober catchup.

Prompts 1 and two in which my skill level is vastly behind my idea

Back on familiar ground Kitty!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Decided to try and do Christmas cards this year.

Idea is to get it reduced and printed onto cards, then hand finish with colour.

It's the SS Richard Montgomery (a sunken ship full of explosives off the coast of the place I live), will be adding Christmas lights and something like, "Celebrate New Year with a Bang!" to the signs.

I tried doing light effects in black on the lights that are against the moon, but it didn't work, so I'm now blocking them out again, and will just handle that with colours once it's been shrunk and reproduced.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

So I'm really not happy with how the lights are coming out on my ship picture - especially not sure how they're going to work against the moon (though I can practice that via the magic of photocopies), any advice on how to make them work in black and white?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I tried that and it looked too busy. Maybe I'll do tinsel instead of lights.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Spent the afternoon re-arranging bits of my boat picture ready for transfer to lino.

There's a tangent on the right I couldn't work around digitally, but might try to fix whilst cutting. Going to do the decorations by hand after printing.

Tomorrow lunchtime going to transfer that to the lino then start cutting.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

shrimpwhiskers posted:

Today's drawing with ref! From ravelry.
Critical welcome!

The most noticeable thing to me is the nose; in the photo you see far more of the right side (as you look at her) than the left, but in the picture the nose is square on. There's the same issue with the lips, but it's not quite as obvious. You've done a good job of getting the hair volume across.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Went to another art workshop today. Watercolours with a limited pallet - Cadmium Red & Yellow/ Burnt Umber/ French Ultramarine and Cerulean Blue.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Keetron posted:

Nice, get cotton paper next time and be prepared to be amazed.

I'm still very nervous about using expensive stuff :(

ETA: My mum who went to one of the Parisian art schools and doesn't give praise lightly said it was very good, lively and had good volumes and balance :3:

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 23, 2019

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

What is clayboard?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

We did lino cuts at art society tonight.

Ears got a bit messy and confused, and I think the right hand side of the lower muzzle looks better than the left.

Stuff like this scares me because once you've cut something away, there's no coming back

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Lunchtime still life.

Was done with what I assume are student grade caran d'ache pencils (I bought them nearly 20 years ago, they're in a plain blue box with no fancy name). Noticed some colours - e.g the yellows are much waxier than others and harder to layer. I take it professional pencils have a more consistent texture across the colours?

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 29, 2019

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I couldn't find a third edible thing on my desk, so giant D20 it was :)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Considering getting a FC polychromos set - what would people recommend - I'm thinking the 60, then buying anything extra I want from open order.

I did a cheeky doodle of an apple in Hobby Craft today and they were so much nicer than the old caran d'aches I have atm.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Animals, mainly various pencils.

Why do dogs have such daft long noses?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I like this, but I don't understand where the light is coming from - best guess is the white speck behind her?

If so I'd do something to make it look like an object or spell effect rather than just a bit you forgot to paint over

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Al! posted:

what if i told u...... i was very stoned when i painted that and that was indeed just a bit i forgot to paint over :blush:

Welp, it's the only logical place for the light to come from so...

Another light thing - I get what you're trying for with the blue on the pillars, but I reckon that there should be some blue around the flowers too?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

syntaxrigger posted:

Any feedback or suggestions is appreciated.

Maybe you missed the warm-up bit?

Were you standing or sitting?

Re. Stamina that is just practice - muscles used in new ways do tend to complain.

If they don't do warm-up, you could take a smaller back up pad and move yourself around to get different views, and when they change pose speak up and ask for her to face the direction you want, or even the length of pose that you want.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 7, 2019

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

syntaxrigger posted:

I was sitting for the first bit then I tried standing, that felt a bit better. I wanted a better angle. I got there before the model did so I don't know what the structure of the event normally is. I did just make some marks on the page with an overhand grip because I am not used to using it. I do like how it seems easier to make long arched lines.
That's weird then. Maybe speak to the organisers?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Rural mimics - mainly graphitints, with some inktense on the second one.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Not quite done (ran out of time at lunch to draw the lettuce leaf).

Wizard's Tortoise, juvenile.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Sharpest Crayon posted:

This is freaking adorable, and I kinda love the idea of a lil tortoise with a tiny house model on its back that grows bigger as it ages. Are you using those watercolour-pencils where you pencil and then it turns to watercolour, when you add water?
I'd also try to take the pics somewhere with a bit more light, just holding it up under a light can make a difference when you're snapping a pic.

Yep, water colour pencils, Caran D'ache supracolours specifically. Lighting in work canteen isn't great, will try to take better ones if I manage to draw something tomorrow. (sadly my lunch tends to be noodles, so no hipster-esque photos of drawings of food)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

syntaxrigger posted:

Whomever said texture was hard wasn't lying. I can't really figure out how to do the fur and antler texture with pen. I am pretty proud of the nose tho even if it is a little off.

I am afraid to touch it until I figure out how the textures should work.

Lots of short strokes in the direction of the fur, denser where there are shadows. Photocopy or trace your lines to practice with if you're not confident of working on the original

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Maybe needed a bit more gradation between the light and dark bits, but that's looking good, and you've preserved the 3d feel of the branches.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Practice for my submission to the current artdome challenge.

Doodle of the adult wizard's tortoise

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Keetron posted:

A'Tuins younger years you mean?

Great A'tuin is a turtle. Also, there are no elephants.

Apple in watercolours. Not happy with this one - forgot the shine until I had just finished the top, the bottom is too flat, and honestly, multi-layer watercolour is a bad medium to try and finish things in at lunch.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Keetron posted:

If you want to do fast watercolors, use super thin layers. Also put a white gel pen or pencil in your bag.

Actually have one with me. Thanks for the reminder

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

syntaxrigger posted:

Digging Ganesha watercolor! Looks really good. The skin choice weirds me out a bit, I thought Ganesha had blue skin? I dunno. Looks like human skin heh.

Varies. Can be blue, but normally has pinkish/whitish skin. Vishnu and Krishna (an incarnation of Vishnu) are the famously blue gods.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

dupersaurus posted:

Pentouch, posca, various liquidtex, and a few for printing. Pentouch is like 80% there but it has problems with doing large areas. I think the liquidtex acrylic ink might be good on paper but it's garbage on clayboard.

How about embossing powders?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Been doing some exercises out of a book today, here's the first one that could be considered a finished piece.

It's done on some 300gm bockingford paper, using arteza tube watercolours, which seem to be really good for the price (no cadmium red or yellow, but has decent substitutes)

My brushes are a total hodgepodge in terms of quality.

The only technique I wasn't happy with was splaying a brush to do the thin branches, but I was using one of the cheapest ones for that, which probably didn't help.

Also, I need a hair dryer.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 15, 2019

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

lofi posted:

They're handy, but be aware that some things will dry a little differently when you use one. Hard to describe, but you get a feeling for when you should let it dry naturally pretty intuitively in my experience.

My initial thought is that washes etc. you might want to let go natural, but for wet on dry work the hair dryer will be fine.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Office doodles.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Franchescanado posted:

What markers do you use? I use pens/markers, but I tend to always use India Ink and a brush on my line work. I can't really keep straight which pens/markers bleed with transparent paints, and which are solid.

Not Lofi, but the Faber Castell Pitt markers are water proof.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

So we were talking in Discord, and I used the phrase Drawnuary. It looks like it was a thing about 4 or 5 years ago, but never took off the way that Inktober did. Should we try to make it a thing?

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 29, 2019

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Drawing once a day in January. We can do a prompt list if people like those.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Yeah that's what he said too but I thought he was flattering me to keep my interest up. It turns out that when you order a bit skating wood from Timber that costs 250bux, they'll be more than happy to custom-print poo poo on it for an extra 20bux.

Let's make it HARDCORE:
1: monster made entirely of hands
2: a character as a kid, teen, adult and old
3: the same face from profile, 3/4, front, below and above
4: a person sitting on a chair or sofa
5: nothing but bottles and vases in front of a guitar
6: person swinging an axe
7: a car in motion
8: highrise building with good perspective
9: hors.

etc etc etc, every last one the hardest thing you can think of

Not sure if serious, or trying to kill the idea dead.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

gmc9987 posted:

For some reason I read what you posted as "Dawnuary" so that's why I got confused. Re-reading it correctly, "drawnuary" seems like a pretty simple concept, sorry for sounding dense.

That is because I'd originally misspelt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'll start tomorrow because I'm at a friend's today