Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

I'll try to do more complete works this year instead of pages upon pages of incomplete doodles.

I love love love your colors and brush choices. I am so jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Inktober 1 - "Ring"

Just something small and simple while still practicing anatomy and stuff.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Quote posted:

That takes a second to register but when it does it kinda "snaps." Very cool.

Keetron posted:

Oh drat.

Thank you! It maybe wasn't the best idea for instagram likes, but I'm happy I achieved the intended effect.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Inktober Day 2 - "Mindless"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

heavy liquid posted:

Figured I might as well jump back in for the Inktober festivities!

No theme or anything, but will probably mostly end up being portrait and figure studies. Playing around with different ink brushes and stuff.

Day 1

Day 2

also a bonus doggo becuase he's a good boy

These are excellent. I really like the first one.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

Inktober number 3, this one cost more time than anticipated but lucky for me, I had some more time. Prompt is "Bait". All done with India Inkt and a #1 kolinski brush and oh boy, is that some next level poo poo.

This is great. In the future, maybe consider using a white ink pen or some masking fluid for the light on the surface of the water.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

Completely forgot about that, I used to do that when using copics, but you can be sure to see some white gelpen further in the month, will put it in my inktober pile of materials.

I used to outline bright spots like you did in that post, and I reluctantly added white gel pens to my toolkit, and I'm much happier with the results. I really like the shading you did on your figures.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

lofi posted:

Right, starting to feel a bit less poo poo, time to start Inktobering! I'm planning to do costume studies for this year, I've been feeling like it's an area I'm pretty weak on compared to drawing naked peeps.

I love this. Lots of cool textures and shading styles without feeling disjointed or busy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Day 3 - "Bait"

I tried mixed media paper this time and my brush pen still bled. Gonna try watercolor paper next.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

I would advise to use bristol board or some other sort of smooth, compressed paper. Watercolor paper is design to soak up the water so you can expect it to bleed as by design.

I used Strathmore Bristol smooth on Day 2 and it still had a bleeding problem with my brush pen.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dupersaurus posted:

Yeah this seems weird. All of my ink drawings are on 300 series (the cheapest, yellow cover) and I've never had bleed like that, even with my brush pen (though I don't do wet-on-wet, maybe that makes a difference)

That's what I used for Day 3 - "Bait". My Pentel Arts Pocket Brush pen bled when I did the outline of the worm. I pretty much only used it for that outline and then did the rest with my UniPens and did the wash with Yasutomo Sumi Ink diluted with water. The latter were fine, but the Pentel brush pen bled.

Look how fuzzy it looks from the bleeding.

Keetron posted:

Huh, seems I know less than I thought I did. I will try all this after inktober is over.

Yeah, I use ink most of my pieces on watercolor and have never had an issue with bleeding like I have with these pieces. I never use Bristol paper because it buckles immediately with wet media, but this pad of Strathmore Bristol 300 series has been sitting on my shelf for over a year now unused, which is why I wanted to try it with these ink pieces.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Inktober Day 4 Freeze

Little late. I’m phone posting.

Inspired by the liquid nitrogen face smash death in Jason X, since it’s spooky season.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
A few days behind but

Build

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

So nice, how you made those clouds? Tell me your secrets!

It was just a light wash of Sumi Ink diluted with water applied with a 10 year old Winsor & Newton Series 7 #1, which is good for textures. Anywhere it puddled up I just spread it out.

It's 140lb cold press paper.

Flavius Aetass posted:

very cool. Mondrian-like

gmc9987 posted:

These are great!

Thank you!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

I had fun making this!

Also I wish we would have this much activity in the thread more often, even if it was only half.

I post most of my stuff in the Traditional thread since I mainly work in acrylic, watercolor and gouache. This is the first year I'm actively trying to do Inktober, and this is the thread for that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Still behind, but whatever.

Day 6 Husky

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

There is a traditional thread??

Traditional Art Thread

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

“Frail” for Inktober.

Switched it up from Yasutomo Sumi Ink to Higgins Black Magic.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Swing

Inspired by scary swing in The Evil Dead

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

lofi posted:

<3 Quink. Pretty pleased with the dog too, he's got the proper mournful expression.

I love this.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

From a photo we took last week for some reason.
Tomorrow is my last day at this job, leaving for greener pastures project wise. But goddammit, will I miss these people.

Also, Daniel Smith is really great, as in, really amazing.

Here is an instagram picture I took of my field setup:

That's a pretty clever way of mapping your paints. I usually do my swatches in my books, but your way makes way more sense.

How do you like those Escoda travel brushes?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

I do them in books too, larger mostly to get a feel for the paints and with the names next to it. Like this:

I am ashamed to admit I did not use the brushes yet, I was having to much fun with some generic 1 & 2 kolinsky brushes and a silver black velvet 4. I will be in Antwerp on Wednesday and put them to the test there.

I'll keep an eye out to see if you like/dislike them.

I just got a Princeton Neptune Watercolor Round #20, and I am absolutely not used to it yet. I'm used to #1 - #6's. It's a good brush, though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

lofi posted:

Sheeeit Keetron, giving me kit-envy there! ;)

21 days of forgetting to timg-tag

This is great. Also, I really like your handwriting.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
syntaxrigger , you should jump on Keetron's offer if you can.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

syntaxrigger posted:

You are not wrong. At this point I find myself getting afraid too, oddly. I am not certain of what. Sometimes I think about drawing and I get afraid. I have been able to push through it so far but I am not sure why it is happening. My only guess is a fear of failure. I am on day 10 of 66 of drawing at least 15 mins a day, so at least I got that going for me. :)

It's performance anxiety, based on an expectation that the finished product must be good..

Forget that the outcome can be good or bad, for now. Consider any piece you are working on as a study, in that you are putting all of your skills you have to the test. It is not a statement of skill, or your position as an artist compared to the world, it is you pushing your skills because you want to challenge yourself because you like drawing.

Remind yourself that you are drawing for the sake of drawing. You are not drawing for a finished piece. You are not drawing for an audience. You are not drawing for a gallery. You are drawing to draw, and you just happen to show us what you've done so you can get advice to continue drawing, because you like drawing.

There's a really good book called Art & Fear which I keep on the shelf, next to my papers, my notebooks, my anatomy books, my references. As an artist, you're probably prone to anxiety or fear or impostor syndrome. Open up Art & Fear and read a few passages, pick up your pencil or pen and start drawing for the sake of drawing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

Reading this now, thank you so much for the suggestion.

I'm glad you're getting something out of it! If you're open for another suggestion, the other art book I always refer back to is The Art Spirit by Robert Henri. That and Art & Fear are, for me, two essential art books that aren't reference or technique.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Are you using the black gouache for your lines or India ink?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What markers do you use? I use pens/markers, but I tend to always use India Ink and a brush on my line work. I can't really keep straight which pens/markers bleed with transparent paints, and which are solid.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

lofi posted:

Unipin fine liners - dirt cheap, still the best I've come across. I had some Pitt ones, they were alright, similar quality just a lot more pricey.

That's my go-to set these days!

Angrymog posted:

Not Lofi, but the Faber Castell Pitt markers are water proof.

I've used these before, and liked them.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

Travel sketches from my vacation in London/Edinburgh. Turns out, it's a bad idea for someone from a tropical climate to remove their gloves to draw in most places in the UK!

These rule. I also took a trip to Edinburgh this year, and it's, like, a painter's dream. So many amazing things to sketch and paint.

Great work.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Carth Dookie posted:

I've been watching some Shibasaki videos on YouTube and that has pointed me at some other Japanese watercolour painters that I thought the thread might enjoy, so here's some links:

Shibasaki obviously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biIoj1sROnc

The Harusaki pair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bztrdkSGdx8

Those two I've mentioned before. New that I've found that probably should have more followers than they do:

Sakai Yoshimoto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmM2iFxIU5M

Who I really like the style of. Last is Osamu Murata who does some wildly colourful poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crmmnDGFceo

Not exactly my kind of thing, but still really cool. Hope you guys enjoy.

These rule, by the way. I was only familiar with Shibasaki, so I'm glad I have a little more variety in styles to watch.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

You never guess what console + game I impuls bought last weekend.

Keetron, what brush do you use when you paint?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

If I remember correctly these were done with a Silver Black Velvet no6, these guys are my workhorses for when I am @home. In the field I use the Escoda Reserva travel set (4, 6, 10).

How come you ask?

Something about your soccer bunny made me think you were using one of those watercolor brush pens that you load up with water, and I wanted it clarified out of curiosity. Do you like the Escoda Reserva travel set? I've thought about getting them, but I have plenty of brushes already.

I haven’t contributed in a while, so here’s the stuff I did today while at work:

I lack a lot of confidence with eyes, noses and mouths, and drawing women in general, so here are some practice sketches I did. About 5-10 minutes for each one.

If anyone has advice for eyes, noses and mouths besides ‘just keep drawing them’ or watching Proko, I’m open to it.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

lofi posted:

You're probably drawing too small - it's really tempting to try and fit in all the fiddly details of the facial features even when you're drawing tiny, and it just becomes a mess. There's a reason (well, a few) that comics simplify faces. If you want to practice facial features, make the face 10cm or so high.

Learn facial proportion rules (it looks like you're already on this one from your construction lines)

Find pics of facial features. Draw the facial features. Learn. Repeat.

Yeah, I need to draw bigger. The rest is pretty much what I've been doing.