Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Hey! Long time no see. I got really caught up in work recently, but now that I'm on holidays in the alps I got plenty of time to draw around again.

Argue posted:

I'll try to do more complete works this year instead of pages upon pages of incomplete doodles.

I really like your style in general, but this one is extra nice. Well done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Today I did not manage to put together anything of worth and had to scrap three drawings, getting incredibly mad and frustrated in the process. Not a good day. I did manage to finish this one though it did not make me happy.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Still had trouble today, but it went a whole lot better than yesterday at least.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I have no idea how to colour things, but I tried anyway.

Witches are cool and their designs are fun. Draw a witch today!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Keetron posted:

Will do, but maybe tomorrow, ok?

Looking forward to it!!

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

What you people call "doodles" is a bit confronting. I hope stupid questions are OK here, coz I have heaps.

On one hand I'm also constantly flabberghasted by all the amazing people that can put out fantastic looking stuff in no time -- twitter makes me quite frustrated for that reason sometimes, hah. On the other hand, I'm sure if the me from ten years ago saw what I could do now he'd have a similar reaction.

Point being: there'll probably always be amazingly better people, but you'll also be able to improve an amazing degree if you keep at it long enough.

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

Anyway, I doodled a 'witch' (she has cats eyes) in honour of my thread invasion.

Nice, I like it.

heavy liquid posted:

Okay then! Here's my witch:

Very cool, love the more tribal angle. Might do a reinterpretation of yours later.

For now, here's a witch kid:

I think I've finally raked together enough patience to try my hand at the Ctrl-Paint tuturials again to get into painting and shading and all that stuff. Hopefully that'll help since I clearly have no drat idea what I'm doing at the moment.

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 11, 2019

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Since I skimped out on drawing yesterday I decided, what the hell, might as well do this now while the inspiration is fresh.

I actually prefer Heavy Liquid's original sketch though so I don't know what I achieved with this.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

Stupid question: How do you do these [......]? Are they digital, or drawings? I don't know how to tell, and I'd like to try the medium. It reminds me of Archie comics.

As Crayon already pointed out in the excellent breakdown, that piece, as well as the vast majority of my work, is done digitally. The way I do things makes it much easier to tell than for others. I tend to focus on making very clear and precise line work, which is much harder to pull off traditionally.

For actually making these I use a digital pen tablet and Krita. You can find some recordings of past drawings on my youtube. The actual tablets I use are Wacom, though I would probably recommend against them at first if you do want to make the dive into digital at one point, as they are very pricey and there's very good competitors that are much more affordable out there nowadays.

I'd recommend sticking with traditional for a while first in any case though.

Argue posted:

I've never made a real art with Procreate before let alone ~dark arts~; am I too late to the witch party

(time lapse here)

Never too late to a witch party! I really like how the entire picture evokes a fiery inferno. The lighting on her face makes her look rather intimidating too, very nice.

I hope to draw more witches tomorrow, for today I only have a very quick sketch of a young lady.

I'm sure her parents would think she's a witch, so maybe that counts.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Some more great witches in here, nice.

I gathered up the courage to finally try some more painting practise again, so I followed some Ctrl-Paint exercises.

Hopefully I'll keep at it.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

More quick painting practise.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I really enjoyed your witches! :tipshat:

Some more painting practise from me. Could have worked on it longer, but got tired.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

The Muffinlord posted:

1. That looks amazing,
2. How dare you

Thanks, and I dare because I'm a lazy schlob.

I can finally publish my trading card for last month now:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Hey. I somehow stopped wanting to draw for an entire month. I kept thinking I should, but then it just never happened until today.

Here's to fixing my motivation!

Also, crayon, I saw your encroachment on My Original Style, Do Not Steel. Your infraction has been noted! :catstare:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Not sure if I had the January sads, since I was doing ok productivity and mood-wise in general.

Either way, here's another quick and rough sketch, this time of Link, since I like playing as her in Smash Ultimate.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Couldn't get anything real done tonight.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Did a revisit of the design I threw together some days ago. I wanted to combine that with some practise for skirt fabric behaviour, but had a tough time finding interesting references.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

More painting practise today.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Quick sketch tonight.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's cool that you've started up again.

I haven't drawn in ages and when I do it's always kinda half baked. I like how you've boldly lined your work and even coloured it. It'd take me hours to make something approximating your "quick sketch"

Thanks for the encouraging words! Sorry to hear that you're having problems getting started again yourself! What usually helps me after a long break, or when I'm having trouble getting something onto the canvas, is to keep thinking to myself that really anything will do, no matter how small or crude.

I definitely know the sentiment about sketches as well, ha ha. Watching artists post their "quick sketches" on Twitter always makes me bewildered. Though I guess if the me from five or ten years ago saw what I could do now he'd probably be similarly impressed. Just gotta keep going!

Flavius Aetass posted:

I know you didn't ask for criticism, but this is an easy fix for a simple issue-- if the bottom or top of a cylinder is flatter than the other that means your eye is closer to that plane than the other. Judging by the lower curve, your eye would be toward the bottom and in that case you wouldn't be able to see the top plane. If you want to keep the top as is, it means your eye is above the top and the bottom curve should be even more round than the top.

Thanks for the critique. I actually noticed the problem myself while I was working on it, but couldn't be bothered to fix it. I should have spent more time on the sketch phase to iron that out before it was all painted over.

Today: a reiteration of yesterday's.

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 13, 2019

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Are you perhaps watching Vinny?

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Today I drew these guys:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I'm doing a game design lab at university this semester. As an attempt to pitch my idea and garner some interest to get teammates, I made a quick cover illustration.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Palutena is a pretty cool guy

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Hair buns just look real nice.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

lofi posted:

They do! I'm impressed you managed to pull it off in your style without it getting visually confusing. How come you don't use line variation?

I used to use line width variation. Back when I was going through a very rough phase I at some point decided to try fixed width in an attempt to allow myself to focus on the lines and shapes and make it less frustrating. It turned out that, after a while of experimenting with it, I actually liked the look of fixed width better overall too. I've stuck with it since. Occasionally I do try to go back to varying width, but I generally don't end up impressed with it.

As you noted, fixed width does have its fair share of challenges too, but I guess I just prefer the look overall, even when it comes to other artists' works.

Nice job with the sceneries by the way!
I always tell myself I should go out and draw from nature, but I never end up going. :(

Tonight: a quick sketch so I can hopefully get to bed at a reasonable hour one of these days.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Not feeling great tonight.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Early draw.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

lofi posted:

That's really nice, her expression is gorgeous.

Thanks! I'm quite happy with how it turned out myself, too.

Fruity20 posted:

there's something about this work that I like. maybe i just like the gappy line art feel a lot but that's just me. now one thing that bothers me is the leg but maybe the pants are making them look weird. just me opinion.

I do a lot of gappy line art!
I think you're right about the leg, as well. I didn't spend much time on this is my excuse.

Today: An Encounter With an Old Friend

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Couldn't think of anything, so here's some random faces.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

IronSaber posted:

There's some je ne sais quoi to your art that speaks to my soul.

Thanks, happy to hear you enjoy it!

I started drawing this an hour ago and then half an hour vanished without anything happening on the canvas so I had to hurry this up. Need some sleep!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Wanted to draw a new avatar tonight cause I'm sick of the old one.

Not sure if I like it enough to switch though.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Super rough sketch tonight because Krita kept glitching out and I started too late anyway.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Al! posted:

thank you for mentioning Krita, i installed it tonight and did this after experimenting with some different brushes

Krita is pretty fully featured, but it's also pretty buggy at times.

Tonight I spent about for hours or so doing character designs on stream.

And first I did some warmup sketches.

Stream recording is here

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 21, 2019

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Streaming some art tonight. Will replace this post with the results once I'm done.

Would be happy to have some people in chat! https://stream.shinmera.com/

Well that was a travesty.

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 25, 2019

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Had to get home from a conference in Italy today and the god drat train had a delay of over two and a half hours. Being used to PT being on time results in a lot of suffering whenever I'm abroad.

On the upshot, I drew some stuff on the train:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I'm working on another game project that needs sprite animation, so I started working on that kind of thing again. Here's what I have so far:

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 10, 2019

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Chaosfeather posted:

Cool spritework! I never could wrap my head around how to get started with that.

Thanks! I'm by far no expert either, hah. When I have to pixel I first go look for some references made by people that, unlike me, know what they're doing. Looking at those and studying how they make things look good helps a ton.

Otherwise, I suppose you just gotta try. Pixels can be a pretty cool because there's only so much that you can change, and figuring out how to make things work together is almost like a puzzle at times.

IronSaber posted:

This is cool! Has a very retro "Prince of Persia" feel to them.

Thanks! I don't think I'll get animations as smooth as Prince of Persia though, ha ha.

Today I didn't get much work done unfortunately as I've burnt myself out with work over the past few days and also had a dentist visit that put me out of commission for a while.

Nevertheless, here's a gif version with two small animations added that I made today:

Should be able to post in-game screens tomorrow.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Still swamped as gently caress with work, but I did some more animating, and some tilesetting:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I have been very busy otherwise and haven't had the energy to keep up my daily drawings :(

Tonight though I do have some free time, so I'm doing another art stream. Come by and chat! I'd appreciate it a lot.

https://stream.shinmera.com

(Note: chat does not need a password, just enter a name and connect.)

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

stream result:

I did work on another one for an hour but threw it in the trash. Might do more streams in the evening this week.