Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Whippets are all angles and joints

Whippets are loving great! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I've not been slacking (much) this year! Nope, just been afk a lot:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Keetron posted:

Is this for sale? My daughter expressed a desire to decorate her room and this is amazing.

Thankyou! I'm afraid I can't sell it, the original is living at my parent's house now - he's their cat.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Today I raided the grocers for any fruit I didn't recognise.

I've figured the 'albino battlegrapes' were lychees, but no idea on the second one - it was like a eggyolk-coloured frogspawn inside a bald kiwi, and it was super-citrus-sour and delicious.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Lack of angry dinos tells me passionfruit it is. Thanks! Though yeah, it was kinda awesomely prehistoric.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

lofi posted:

eggyolk-coloured frogspawn inside a bald kiwi, and it was super-citrus-sour and delicious.

Turns out it was a passionfruit! I'm learning!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It was so cool! I was expecting maybe a melon-type inside, and got bright yellow goo!

(Yeah, I'm easily impressed sometimes. It's a good way to be.)

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

https://www.1001freefonts.com/ has a bajillion, though you'll want to make sure you grab ones with a 'free' tag rather than 'free for personal use'.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Hey all, I could do with some feedback. I've been working on a tarot card set, going for a psychadelic post-apoc vibe, but I've really stalled out, feel completely uninspired by the project at the moment. Here's some of what I've got so far:

Is the colourscheme just too much? Like, I can't imagine anyone using them to do a tarot reading with, but does that matter, would people be buying them just as nice images? Am I making the characters/archetypes too removed from the real world?

Basically I'm tying myself in second-guessing knots, and any feedback would be helpful, might help me figure out where I'm going with this, if I want to shitcan the project and start on something else, change the style, or what.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That's a really good call, thankyou - I'm just doing the major arcana for now (unless the project spreads), but yeah, using the RW for inspiration is a good bet.

Thanks, everyone, I find it so easy to second-guess myself, get trapped in loops of 'is it the desert, or is it actually really a poo poo idea'. Feedback is good.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Been really struggling lately with depression-stuff, so it was good to break the drought today, even if I didn't get masses done:

Rando photo study

My friend looking weirdly Judge Dredd.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

n i c e

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Anyone got any advice for scanning charcoal? Cos this looks p fugly, and not all of that is down to me.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

They pay someone for those?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Anyway I've knocked out the last char sketches.

Something I've noticed is that when you're drawing different expressions, the face shape doesn't move - for smiling/grinning in particular, it might be worth looking into how the cheeks raise, and how the facial outline changes.

I'd also suggest trying some more full-body poses with each character, if you can pin down their body language (agressive, dainty, etc) you'll be able to show their character very effectively through that.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:haw:

:haw:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Oh, I'd blanked that you were designing for a game, that makes much more sense then! :downs:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

You too, huh? I blame the loving sun for shirking its duties. There's probably a cool german word for the longing for a bit of good sun-warmth. I am desperate to just sit somewhere outside in the warm and draw something.

I am really in the wrong loving country.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

gently caress yo eyeballs.

e:
You draw my cat idiot!

lofi fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 7, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

drat that looks well good! What size is it? I can't imagine doing a 24h pose, I've done an 8h still life and that near drove me insane.

Also, your model has amazing hair.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

UK here. It was finally non-vile on Thurs, so I went for a long walk and I feel a good chunk better for it. Well, except for my feet, they've grown soft and weak and were punished for it. I reckon it's cabinfever as much as SAD.

lofi fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 9, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

As part of a skill-swap, I traded some coding for some illustration, so I now have a reference-image-viewer! Basically, it's like that pixelovely thing, with some tweaks (gaps added between images, custom schedules, etc), and it lets you use your own selection of images.

If anyone wants a copy, it's on Sourceforge here.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

lofi posted:

As part of a skill-swap, I traded some coding for some illustration, so I now have a reference-image-viewer! Basically, it's like that pixelovely thing, with some tweaks (gaps added between images, custom schedules, etc), and it lets you use your own selection of images.

If anyone wants a copy, it's on Sourceforge here.

And now I've actually used the thing! I am really rusty, I've not been drawing people much recently and it shows:

How is it I got worse as I had more time? (The answer is 'trying to do too much', adding complexity rather than doing basics well.)

e: I think also that I lost the flow of the gesture on the 25m one - compared to the curves of the 5m one it's all clumsy angles and yuk.

lofi fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 11, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It's finally getting warm enough to go out and draw! :)

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

More figure-sketching, kept it simpler than yesterday and I think that worked.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Hangin out at the graveyard, like you do. :drac:

e:

Drawing faces fast is hard. Drawing faces anyway is hard. Drawing Gollum without reference is surprisingly easy.

lofi fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 12, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Somehow only had 15m to draw today, despite doing gently caress all else. :effort:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

This dude really loved Gangs of New York, huh?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I reckon it's working just fine, looks badass to me! The eyes are a clear focal point, and the outline gives enough detail to be clear what it is.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Huh, I'd never have suspected that'd be a bad interaction. Yay other people doing research for me!

Wossname from Fury Road:

I'm kinda pleased with it, drawing hollywood-bland-attractive is hard, give me someone with some wrinkles anyday. Brow's a little heavy, but not bad for 15m.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I was watching a game stream, but it was boring, so I drew the streamer instead:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

#irked

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Textures are life.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Kangaroo Pouch posted:

I'm happy with how this turned out but I have no desire whatsoever to colour it
(also, since it's my first time here I just wanted to say hi to the thread! it's nice seeing everyone post their stuff, I love all the different styles here :3:)

:wave: Good to have you onboard! I like your pic, you've got some really sexy anatomy going on there! The Knees especially. I'm not convinced by the practicality of it's wardrobe, though. ;)

Open mike, free life models, who tell me stories as I draw:

Helps make up for the slacking over the last couple of days.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Kanine posted:

it looks like someone is rapidly petting the back of that persons head

Hundred-hand Distraction!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Niiice, really nice sense of 3Dness.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

drat. that lighting! That's awesome!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

heavy liquid posted:

Love the blacks and contrast in your tree. Reminds me of Mike Mignola.

Yeah, there's a reason for that - I'm a massive Mignola fan. More for art than content really.

Shinmera posted:

Hair buns just look real nice.

They do! I'm impressed you managed to pull it off in your style without it getting visually confusing. How come you don't use line variation?

Ibblebibble posted:

I finally drew a face I don't hate. Shoulders are hard, feet are hard. Hands were conveniently hidden on the model so I didn't even really try. Also had to redraw everything at least 3 times due to proportion issues. All in all, a learning experience.

Congratulations! I think you're always going to be redrawing stuff loads, just the amount you're out by will get smaller. :) Shoulders and feet are insane assembleges of bones held together with elastic bands, drawing them is hella hard. Also hands and faces. If people were made entirely of thigh it would be a lot easier.

Fruity20 posted:

really nice linework!

a few typos and it's still a wip but some simple touch ups will do the trick. (and yes she is secretly a fish person)
That is quite the makeup job - she must get through so much concealer. I really like the palette, though the left figure could maybe do with something a bit more saturated to balance the pic - right now it feels right-heavy because of that figure's darker/more saturated colours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Love those faces in the last two.

I accidentally went to a farm park today, and saw donkeys

and chickens

and then I climbed a giant hill called THUNDERBARROW HILL and drew the world, but then I hosed up and grabbed my black copic instead of my grey

and then I was sad so I climbed back down THUNDERBARROW HILL and came home.

I bought a proper survey map of my area recently, and the main benefit is seeing all the awesome hill names. There is an actual Mount Zion a few miles from my flat.