Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Hello, I like the look of this place. I'm a fledgling artist, learning by doing I guess. I don't have time (or patience) for structured learning, and my biggest problem is inspiration.

What you people call "doodles" is a bit confronting. I hope stupid questions are OK here, coz I have heaps.

Anyway, I doodled a 'witch' (she has cats eyes) in honour of my thread invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Welcome art friend!
This thread basically works as a catch-all art thread, really, and daily progress on high art is just as welcome as stick figures giving the finger. I finally went and changed the first post to reflect that, so don't be worried thinking that all of this is us just effortlessly cranking out a quick masterpiece in 5 mins flat while we compose a sonata to our talent and then calling it a doodle.
Questions are most welcome! Ask away! There's always a good chance that someone else might be struggling with the exact same problem you have, so it's a chance to learn for everyone when someone brings stuff up.

Thank you. I really like your art, I've seen a few bits around the threads. I think this thread is one of the coolest things on the whole internet. (possible bias)

See below for some stupid questions.

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Shinmera posted:

For now, here's a witch kid:

Stupid question: How do you do these [......]? Are they digital, or drawings? I don't know how to tell, and I'd like to try the medium. It reminds me of Archie comics.

TwoogBuk LLC fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 12, 2019

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Another stupid question. What are those pens called, and what spells do you need to invoke to use them like that?

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

content posted:

Alcohol based markers. Copic is the big (see: expensive) brand, but I use the Prismacolors and really dig ‘em. They’ve got a pretty rough learning curve. I’m still learning to use them, clearly. There’s a bunch of YouTube tutorials on how to use ‘em.

"still learning" uh-huh .... I think it's drat good, and thanks for the tips. I'll have to get me some of these magical markers.

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

I did a digital art thing with MS Paint 3D.

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Keetron posted:

A set of 12 will set you back $60. Let that sink in.

+ Australia Tax %. Over the counter, they're around $100.

Amazon opened an Oz site recently and appear to have shut us out of the US site. Nobody mails here any more

On Amazon.au the same set is $120- 130 https://www.amazon.com.au/Copic-Sketch-Markers-Set-Pkg/dp/B000MRR3GU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1547353672&sr=8-9&keywords=copic

I'll just keep an eye on the art suppliers here and get them on sale

quote:

Also remember you can refill the copic markers and some colors will go faster than others.

That's a major selling point.

quote:

Most importantly, keep in mind that buying art supplies and using art supplies are two very different hobbies.

So it's not just me then? I'm a tradesman and truck driver. Tools have that effect on those that use them.

quote:

bought this: https://www.copic-shop.co.uk/copic-sketch-suitcase-with-358-colours-rrp-3087-50-last-one/ which I am planning to take to my grave.

Whoa! I imagine a day when I can buy a similar set of French soft pastels.

Thanks for the info, and the the interest. You guys are good value. Now I'll go watch those videos.

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Self owned in compressed charcoal.

I'm a messy bastard

TwoogBuk LLC fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 13, 2019

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Keetron posted:

Here are two alternatives to copics compared by Jazza who is a bit weird but good:

Jazza is good value. Thanks again.

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Sharpest Crayon posted:

You tend to develop an eye ....

No poo poo.

That was an amazing post. I took a screenshot for future reference.

It would've taken me years to get all of that together. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Can I keep all of you?

a hole-y ghost posted:

Crayon did a nice breakdown of recognizing digital vs traditional stuff on the last page; sorry for breakin into a new page Crayon!

a hole-y ghost posted:

Art supplies are indeed a tool, and in the same way, it's good to buy as you need them.

It's also fun to collect them.

a hole-y ghost posted:

get an easel as a pretty high priority.

Agreed. I'll probably make my own easel. It has to be an improvement on the mess I make with charcoal.

a hole-y ghost posted:

distorted drawing because you have to compensate for your perspective (unless you hunch over it in a really awkward way).

You noticed, eh? I have injuries and need to move around a lot. I usually sit and hold [hunch over] my book, but the angle is constantly changing. Another reason for the distortion is my failing vision. I should wear glasses when I'm drawing, and do ..... sometimes. I take them off a lot in 'hold my beer' moments. They annoy the poo poo out of me, and it shows in my drawings.

a hole-y ghost posted:

I'd say it's a good idea to shy away from sets.

I'm taking this good advice too. I already have sets of markers and pencils that I don't use.

Shinmera posted:

I'd recommend sticking with traditional for a while first in any case though.

And this too. Tablets don't like me, and drawing the lorrikeet with a mouse the other night was kinda painful. I get a lot of peace from using charcoal and soft pastels, and I reckon I'll stick with those for a while.

Maybe just a couple of Copix sketch pens .......