Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
still enjoying loving around in this new program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
just a doodle

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
i'm going with dino egg

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
did a gif

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

lofi posted:

Hey all, I could do with some feedback. I've been working on a tarot card set, going for a psychadelic post-apoc vibe, but I've really stalled out, feel completely uninspired by the project at the moment. Here's some of what I've got so far:

Is the colourscheme just too much? Like, I can't imagine anyone using them to do a tarot reading with, but does that matter, would people be buying them just as nice images? Am I making the characters/archetypes too removed from the real world?

Basically I'm tying myself in second-guessing knots, and any feedback would be helpful, might help me figure out where I'm going with this, if I want to shitcan the project and start on something else, change the style, or what.

these are all amazing and i love the colors.

however i think i know why you are stalling out. it looks like you're going off the dome for the designs for the tarot cards, which can lead you to run out of steam when you get to the minor arcana and you're thinking "what the gently caress do i draw for a 6 of swords"

when i draw a tarot card i usually go back to the imagery from of the canonical tarot deck - the rider-waite. they're pretty symbolically rich, so you can kind of pick and choose the elements you're interested in including in your composition. this not only gives you inspiration to look back on but it also makes it easier for any potential tarot readers and tarot fans to recognize and identify with your cards, because they're often trained on and start with the rider-waite deck.

so for example when i made a few animated cards for folks i went back to the you can compare this:

with this:

where i borrowed a lot of the elements (like the keys, the columns, the gesture and crow) and added some of my own (the lamp and the books) to keep it recognizable but unique

another example where i went even more in my own direction but still used the design for inspiration would be this:

and the rider-waite:

where instead of riding a horse, he's riding barrels of supplies and hooch, and instead of the planes he's in the canadian wilderness. he's still holding a cup but it's spilling all over the place.

i hope this advice helped! making a full tarot deck is definitely an aspiration to me

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

mosspunk

edit: sometimes random bullshit seems to appear by magic overnight and ill go crazy unless i fix it

Al ! fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 3, 2019

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

my buddy Superfly posted:

It is, thank you I love how that cat is just always looking like they're freaked out.

looking forward to your wikihow article

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

lofi posted:

They pay someone for those?

someone told me a long time ago (so i might be misremembering) that they have a style guide and they use freelancers to work with it

boy what i wouldn't do to get my hands on that style guide

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
ok i guess winter SAD must be a thing because besides a couple of manic episodes i've been barely been able to eek out anything since january, i mostly just stab at my tablet for a while hoping some line will catch my fancy, give up and go play video games

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
i was able to push past it by concentrating on trying to draw my angst, turned out super dark

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
i really liked the way you captured the model's half-lidded expression

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
the effect of soft sunlight and the texture of the fur are stunning in that one

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

lofi posted:

Cityscapes are hard.

pretty fuckin rad if u ask me

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
more mosspunk?

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

this one got a big laugh outta me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Messing with new brushes. Been playing a lot of CONTROL so of course I had to draw a big shape.

very much my poo poo, both control and this painting