Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CHIKARA Pro Wrestling returns for another year and it once again gets its own thread because there's only a handful of goons who can stand the promotion. Man, remember that J2K Winger guy? Having him around made posting these threads less awkward.

Season 19 didn't take the world by storm, but it was a much-needed solid year of shows to help cleanse the palate. It helps that they finally had Juan Francisco de Coronado drop his title because he was not doing the promotion any favors by being the top guy. They also made nearly every show a Wrestle Factory show, which made things really easy to follow because all of those are streamed live on CHIKARAtopia. They also did a nifty feud with Beyond, which tied into Young Lions Cup, Infinite Gauntlet, King of Trios and Cibernetico, as well as some of Beyond's shows. Nick Gage showed up in CHIKARA. It was weird.

A lot of the Season 19 stories wrapped up, but there are two major storylines continuing into Season 20.

The big storyline is what's going on with the former Throwbacks. At the end of Season 18, Dasher Hatfield failed to beat Juan Francisco for the Grand Championship. While Dasher was no longer a contender, Juan spent a chunk of Season 19 calling Dasher out for being a cheater and a hypocrite. Juan Francisco was finally shut up, but by the hands of "Mr. Touchdown" Marc Angelosetti. Touchdown won the Grand Championship and things were looking up. He and Dasher were even entered in King of Trios with Dasher's baseball-headed son Boomer.

Unfortunately, Mr. Touchdown broke his leg during the first round of the tournament against the Beyond team. The Throwbacks had to forfeit and Touchdown was in no condition to defend the title. In the interim, Director of Fun Bryce Remsburg said that there would be a temporary champion to defend in Touchdown's name. He immediately chose Dasher, as one would expect. Dasher spent the rest of the season defending the title against all comers and constantly retaining. This culminated in him defeating Ophidian at the end of the final show of the year. Afterwards, Touchdown appeared, applauded his step-cousin-in-law and announced that in a week, he'd be cleared to wrestle again.

Rather than return the title belt, Dasher clotheslined Touchdown and walked off with title in hand. He demanded his son follow. CHIKARA's most honorable man had turned heel.

The other storyline, also featuring gold, is the one between the Whisper and Princess Kimber Lee. Back during Season 17 (the secret season), Whisper made his debut and made it apparent that he had some dirt on the princess. He made her do his bidding or else. At the end of the season, she decided to quit CHIKARA and moved on to NXT... It didn't take.

She returned to CHIKARA and mostly kept her distance from the Whisper. That is, until they brought back the Loteria Letal tournament and forced the two to become a tag team via random draw. Kimber Lee and Whisper ended up winning the tournament and, despite Kimber Lee's reluctance, the two won the tag titles from the Closers at the finale.

No word on if there's any real gimmick to this season yet. They've already announced more away shows than last year, including Jersey City, White Oak and Chicago.

MAYBE the video game will come out this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Apparently on Friday there will be some kind of new mobile app game released called Kingdom of Trios. They've only shown some menu stuff on social media, but it's probably going to be another instance of some kind of non-action game that you're supposed to pretend is wrestling.

They tend to be pretty fun.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I never have much to say in these threads but I do very much appreciate having a Chikara thread

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Gavok is to CHIKARA what Jon Barber is to XPW

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

Gavok is to CHIKARA what Jon Barber is to XPW

False equivalency, people like Gavok

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Kaiju Big Battel's game came out a couple months ago, and they're at least sorta related. It's fun.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok is cool and good and maybe I'll make it back to KoT this year. I missed having loving friend time with him at the last US one.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hey Gavok, what is Chikara's connection to Osaka Pro, they look very similar

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Dangerous Person posted:

I never have much to say in these threads but I do very much appreciate having a Chikara thread

Seconded. I lurk it to see how a friend of mine who wrestles for Chikara is doing. CAW CAW

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Endless Mike posted:

Gavok is cool and good and maybe I'll make it back to KoT this year. I missed having loving friend time with him at the last US one.

Thanks, dude. I'm getting married this November and due to money constraints, I've been given the ultimatum of either doing WrestleMania or King of Trios this year. So... Trios it is.

Smoking Crow posted:

Hey Gavok, what is Chikara's connection to Osaka Pro, they look very similar

I have no idea.

The new phone game is apparently a free thing that lets you play the Chikara version of GM mode.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

As much as I've fallen out of love with CHIKARA over the last couple years (and as much as Juan's reign did a good job of making it difficult to come back even when I wanted to), I just have to chime in and say I've always appreciated these threads and posts from you doing an excellent job of summing up where stuff stands in terms of both ongoing stories and current champs, Gavok. I hope you have a fun time at Trios <3

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Gavok posted:

Thanks, dude. I'm getting married this November and due to money constraints, I've been given the ultimatum of either doing WrestleMania or King of Trios this year. So... Trios it is.

You have chosen.....wisely. Congrats, hope the wedding goes great!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Quack was a massive fan of Osaka Pro and Michinoku Pro, there's inspiration in CHIKARA from both and he plays politician pretty drat well to have his heroes all be working with him, like having Johnny Saint come out of retirement for him. Super Delfin and Sasuke have a pretty nice working relationship with CHIKARA Pro, Quack is a loving maniac considering he pulled Joshimania out with the only hitch being how much it hit him in the pocket. I can't imagine having so many different Joshi promotions working together overseas was easy

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 12, 2019

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Been playing around with the new mobile game. It's pretty fun, though I don't have a full grasp on it.

It's kind of like Puzzle Fighter, except both players share the board, each getting a turn. You deal damage by linking three gems together by the same color, doing combos and building up signature attacks. Like how if you get enough white gems in a match, you can give Dasher the ability to hit a Grand Slam, which will do damage and maybe affect the board in some way. As you keep playing, you level up your wrestlers, get powerups and the ability to recruit more people into your stable.

Unfortunately, the recruiting part of the game is a pain in the rear end and it won't let you add people who are already either champions or contenders.

If you play in career mode, you get either regular shows or special events. For regular shows, you can put your wrestlers on the card how you want. So if you have three wrestlers, you can have one do a singles match and two do a tag match or just have them all do a trios match. Special events include stuff like Infinite Gauntlet, Tag World Grand Prix, King of Trios and Cibernetico. Infinite Gauntlet is a fun one because you play the puzzle game 1 player, but after every turn, a wrestler "enters" by having their icon appear on a gem. If that gem is taken out, so is the wrestler, meaning you have to try and not take out your own guy(s). For Tag World you need at least two in your stable, Trios needs three and Cibernetico needs eight.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I read the OP again and is Nick Gage in Chikara any weirder than Necrobutcher

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Smoking Crow posted:

It could be Nick Gage in the Colt CaBunny costume

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Chikara's National Pro Wrestling Day show is coming up and I intend to go check it out. Any major information or story lines I should know about going into it? Thanks!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Chikara's National Pro Wrestling Day show is coming up and I intend to go check it out. Any major information or story lines I should know about going into it? Thanks!

There are only two major ongoing storylines going on at the moment (Dasher/Touchdown and Kimber Lee/Whisper) and I have details on them in the OP. Apparently, Dasher will be there to cut a promo about his actions at the end of the last season.

Otherwise, here's what to know about the card:

- Kimber Lee and Whisper vs. Crummels and Defarge: Whisper has some blackmail on Kimber Lee and they ended up being stuck together as a tag team in the Lethal Lottery tournament. They won that tournament and, much to Kimber's dismay, won the tag titles. They're up against Crummels and Defarge, who used to be tag champs a while back.

- Penelope Ford vs. Still Life with Pears and Apricots: Penelope Ford is a newcomer to Chikara and doesn't have much character or storyline yet. At the season finale, she defeated Blank. Now Blank has his henchman out to wrestle her.

- Jeremy Leary and Blanche Babish vs. Merlok and Oceanea: Jeremy Leary turned face last year due to a weird storyline about him and Lucas Calhoun being genetically engineered super soldiers. He started palling around with Blanche due to them both being greaser types. Back at the end of 2017, Oceanea kicked Merlok's rear end so badly that he became subservient to her. She was gone for much of 2018 and their stable never did much, but they got a big win at the end of the 2018 finale, so that's something.

- Officer Barksdale vs. Hallowicked: Hallowicked is a top heel who hasn't had much going on since his big HeXed Men storyline ended a few years ago. Barksdale is a jobber face who hasn't had anything going on ever. Don't expect much from this one.

- Los Ice Creams vs. Proteus Wheel vs. Bird and the Bee vs. the Colony: Los Ice Creams are comedy jobbers. Proteus Wheel spent 2018 as a monster stable, but lost two feuds at the end of that season. Solo Darling will be introducing her new partner, Willow Nightingale. The Colony had a pretty great 2018, having won the respect of Fire Ant, won the King of Trios tournament and won their feud against Proteus Wheel.

- Xyberhawx vs. FIST: Razerhawk has had plenty of issues with FIST captain Icarus and also issues with the fact that he has a major losing streak going on. The new version of FIST needs a win to stay relevant and this will probably do it for them.

- Missile Assault Man vs. Juan Francisco de Coronado: Even though he was champion going into 2018, Juan Francisco has floundered since losing his belt. He's up against Missile Assault Man, whose storylines and motivations have always been half-assed and never fully explained.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I'm going too, it's like 15 minutes away from my house and I'm pretty stoked. Tellus360 is a pretty cool place and I'm interested to see how it goes hosting a wrestling show, especially Chikara which I haven't been to in almost a decade. I'll probably be going with a few peeps but feel free to hit me up if you want, I'll probably be there in a Hangman Page shirt

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Smoking Crow posted:

Necro Butcher was Colt Cabunny, Dean Ambrose was almost in the BDK instead of Tim Donst, Drake Younger was in the Osirian Portal, and Sara Del Rey was almost the first singles champion until she got signed away by the WWE.

CHIKARA has always had really weird stuff that was almost canon, and their partnership with CZW was one of the least outrageous things.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

RealFoxy posted:

Necro Butcher was Colt Cabunny, Dean Ambrose was almost in the BDK instead of Tim Donst, Drake Younger was in the Osirian Portal, and Sara Del Rey was almost the first singles champion until she got signed away by the WWE.

CHIKARA has always had really weird stuff that was almost canon, and their partnership with CZW was one of the least outrageous things.

Minor correction, but it was Sami Callahan who almost in the BDK.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

RealFoxy posted:

Always loved the Tag World GP when Necro and Pondo tagged together as themselves, that was fun.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I take that back, Mad Man Pondo in Chikara is weirder

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Smoking Crow posted:

I take that back, Mad Man Pondo in Chikara is weirder

Mad Man Pondo banging Sarah Logan for so long is weirder.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Dang that show was crowded as gently caress. We went out to the bar during the intermission and just kind of gave up on going back in

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

National Pro Wrestling Day results. The feed was pretty terrible with just a badly-lit hard cam.

- Penelope Ford defeated Still Life with Apricots and Pears. By the time I got the stream working, this match was over. Afterwards, Blank stormed off, disgusted.

- Solo Darling/Willow Nightingale defeated Los Ice Creams, Volgar/Frantik and Green Ant/Thief Ant to earn two points.

- Icarus defeated a debuting Christian Cobain. It was a Magic Move Match, meaning one of them had to hit a superkick for the crowd to win prizes. Cobain succeeded in that, but still lost.

- Missile Assault Man defeated Juan Francisco. Not only did this bring an end to Juan's two points, but he was handed a document after the match. He threw it over his shoulder in disgust and walked off. Later on, one of the fans posted the image on Twitter. It's a notification that he's been dodging taxes from Ecuador for ten years and his citizenship has been revoked.

- Mr. Touchdown came out and demanded Dasher show up with his title. Boomer appeared instead and Touchdown threatened to punch him in the face. Finally, Dasher appeared and claimed that he refused to give the title back out of fear that Touchdown wasn't fully healthy and ready. He insisted on a match for Touchdown to prove himself worthy of being champion. Touchdown agreed, but it turns out his opponent was Callux the Castigator.

- Mr. Touchdown defeated Callux with a superplex. After the match, Dasher still refused to accept that Touchdown was ready and said that he had to earn two more points.

- Oceanea/Merlok defeated Jeremy Leary/Blanche Babish in fairly dominant fashion.

- Officer Barksdale defeated Hallowicked with a hurricanrana flash pin. Big upset.

- FIST defeated Xyberhawx incredibly quickly, feeding into Razerhawk's losing streak.

- Kimber Lee/Whisper defeated Crummels/Defarge 2-0. The second time had Kimber Lee shove Crummels and Whisper off the top rope with Crummels being knocked out and Bryce stopping the match. Looked to be planned as part of Kimber Lee's inability to escape being in this tag team.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Aesop Poprock posted:

Dang that show was crowded as gently caress. We went out to the bar during the intermission and just kind of gave up on going back in

I watched a little of it on the free stream IWTV and it looked jam packed.Streaming-wise, it was a crummy venue because of the lighting so I didn't really catch a whole bunch. Looked like it would have been rad to be there live tho.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

coconono posted:

Looked like it would have been rad to be there live tho.
Was there. Can vouch it's a rad venue but it's weird rectangle shape made getting to the merch table and back to our spot a nightmare. As someone who lives in PA just far enough away to not want to drive to Philly, I hope they come back. Probably should be a little lighter on attendance when it's a ticketed show.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
The Beta for the Chikara Arcade Wrestling game is out:

https://www.actionarcadewrestling.com/beta/?utm_campaign=meetedgar&utm_medium=social&utm_source=meetedgar.com

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Unfortunately, it's only a beta for the creation suite. That said, it's pretty drat sweet so far. New Legacy posted a video of them messing around with it and there's a lot of neat stuff in there.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The roster/alumni page has been updated. Gone are the Proletariat Boar of Moldova and the bicycle guys. Also off the main roster are Quack (who I guess is taking an off-screen role since he wasn't even doing commentary on the last show) and Missile Assault Man (despite being on the last show and being scheduled for the next).

On a nice note, Chuck Taylor will be part of the WrestleMania weekend show as part of an 8-man tag featuring former YLC winners. It's Thunderfrog, Jigsaw, Chucky T and Razerhawk vs. Hallowicked, Hermit Crab, Arik Cannon and Cam Zagami.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Very happy about a Chuck Taylor appearance, bittersweet about no more Proletariat Boar. idk, he was one of my favorite characters only CHIKARA would have done

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just saw Proletariat Boar at a local indy show. Weird that he's keeping the gimmick.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

This Saturday they're doing a Young Lions Cup double-header. Stage 1 at 3pm and Stage 2 at 7pm.

Stage 1:

- YLC Tournament: Boomer Hatfield vs. Jaden Valo vs. Jay Sorbet vs. Blanche Babish

- YLC Tournament: Green Ant vs. Brayden Lee vs. Allie Kat vs. Ricky South

- YLC Tournament: Davienne vs. Cam Carter vs. Still Life with Apricots and Pears vs. DL Hurst

- YLC Tournament: Air Wolf vs. Jaden Newman vs. Thief Ant vs. Frantik

- The Regime will be there. No word on their opponents, but they'll likely be breaking up the team since Juan Francisco pays the Closers and he's having tax issues.

- Missile Assault Man vs. Rory Gulak

- Lucas Calhoun vs. Volgar in a chain match

- Mr. Touchdown vs. Chris Dickinson for Touchdown's "second point."

Stage 2:

- Fire Ant and Worker Ant vs. Hermit Crab and Cajun Crawdad

- Crummels and Defarge vs. FIST

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'mma be there. Look for the guy with the afro on the stream

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Solo Darling vs Dasher is also happening. I assume that's gonna be on the 2nd show?

And I am pretty sure Blanche won't be there. She's still injured as far as I can tell.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Blanche is for sure out. I think they're getting Lady Frost as a last minute replacement.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

DM Punk posted:

Solo Darling vs Dasher is also happening. I assume that's gonna be on the 2nd show?

And I am pretty sure Blanche won't be there. She's still injured as far as I can tell.

Pretty sure that's the first show. Originally Solo & Willow were going to have a match on the 1st show, and Willow suffered a neck injury and is going to be out for the next 6 months. It's too bad for Willow cause she's really been picking up a lot of steam lately. The Solo Vs Dasher was announced after the injury.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Cory Lidle posted:

Blanche is for sure out. I think they're getting Lady Frost as a last minute replacement.

The show just started, and Lady Frost has Blanche's spot indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:smith:

https://twitter.com/MaxSmashmaster/status/1106959125601230850