Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CHIKARA Pro Wrestling returns for another year and it once again gets its own thread because there's only a handful of goons who can stand the promotion. Man, remember that J2K Winger guy? Having him around made posting these threads less awkward.

Season 19 didn't take the world by storm, but it was a much-needed solid year of shows to help cleanse the palate. It helps that they finally had Juan Francisco de Coronado drop his title because he was not doing the promotion any favors by being the top guy. They also made nearly every show a Wrestle Factory show, which made things really easy to follow because all of those are streamed live on CHIKARAtopia. They also did a nifty feud with Beyond, which tied into Young Lions Cup, Infinite Gauntlet, King of Trios and Cibernetico, as well as some of Beyond's shows. Nick Gage showed up in CHIKARA. It was weird.

A lot of the Season 19 stories wrapped up, but there are two major storylines continuing into Season 20.

The big storyline is what's going on with the former Throwbacks. At the end of Season 18, Dasher Hatfield failed to beat Juan Francisco for the Grand Championship. While Dasher was no longer a contender, Juan spent a chunk of Season 19 calling Dasher out for being a cheater and a hypocrite. Juan Francisco was finally shut up, but by the hands of "Mr. Touchdown" Marc Angelosetti. Touchdown won the Grand Championship and things were looking up. He and Dasher were even entered in King of Trios with Dasher's baseball-headed son Boomer.

Unfortunately, Mr. Touchdown broke his leg during the first round of the tournament against the Beyond team. The Throwbacks had to forfeit and Touchdown was in no condition to defend the title. In the interim, Director of Fun Bryce Remsburg said that there would be a temporary champion to defend in Touchdown's name. He immediately chose Dasher, as one would expect. Dasher spent the rest of the season defending the title against all comers and constantly retaining. This culminated in him defeating Ophidian at the end of the final show of the year. Afterwards, Touchdown appeared, applauded his step-cousin-in-law and announced that in a week, he'd be cleared to wrestle again.

Rather than return the title belt, Dasher clotheslined Touchdown and walked off with title in hand. He demanded his son follow. CHIKARA's most honorable man had turned heel.

The other storyline, also featuring gold, is the one between the Whisper and Princess Kimber Lee. Back during Season 17 (the secret season), Whisper made his debut and made it apparent that he had some dirt on the princess. He made her do his bidding or else. At the end of the season, she decided to quit CHIKARA and moved on to NXT... It didn't take.

She returned to CHIKARA and mostly kept her distance from the Whisper. That is, until they brought back the Loteria Letal tournament and forced the two to become a tag team via random draw. Kimber Lee and Whisper ended up winning the tournament and, despite Kimber Lee's reluctance, the two won the tag titles from the Closers at the finale.

No word on if there's any real gimmick to this season yet. They've already announced more away shows than last year, including Jersey City, White Oak and Chicago.

MAYBE the video game will come out this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Apparently on Friday there will be some kind of new mobile app game released called Kingdom of Trios. They've only shown some menu stuff on social media, but it's probably going to be another instance of some kind of non-action game that you're supposed to pretend is wrestling.

They tend to be pretty fun.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Endless Mike posted:

Gavok is cool and good and maybe I'll make it back to KoT this year. I missed having loving friend time with him at the last US one.

Thanks, dude. I'm getting married this November and due to money constraints, I've been given the ultimatum of either doing WrestleMania or King of Trios this year. So... Trios it is.

Smoking Crow posted:

Hey Gavok, what is Chikara's connection to Osaka Pro, they look very similar

I have no idea.

The new phone game is apparently a free thing that lets you play the Chikara version of GM mode.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Been playing around with the new mobile game. It's pretty fun, though I don't have a full grasp on it.

It's kind of like Puzzle Fighter, except both players share the board, each getting a turn. You deal damage by linking three gems together by the same color, doing combos and building up signature attacks. Like how if you get enough white gems in a match, you can give Dasher the ability to hit a Grand Slam, which will do damage and maybe affect the board in some way. As you keep playing, you level up your wrestlers, get powerups and the ability to recruit more people into your stable.

Unfortunately, the recruiting part of the game is a pain in the rear end and it won't let you add people who are already either champions or contenders.

If you play in career mode, you get either regular shows or special events. For regular shows, you can put your wrestlers on the card how you want. So if you have three wrestlers, you can have one do a singles match and two do a tag match or just have them all do a trios match. Special events include stuff like Infinite Gauntlet, Tag World Grand Prix, King of Trios and Cibernetico. Infinite Gauntlet is a fun one because you play the puzzle game 1 player, but after every turn, a wrestler "enters" by having their icon appear on a gem. If that gem is taken out, so is the wrestler, meaning you have to try and not take out your own guy(s). For Tag World you need at least two in your stable, Trios needs three and Cibernetico needs eight.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Chikara's National Pro Wrestling Day show is coming up and I intend to go check it out. Any major information or story lines I should know about going into it? Thanks!

There are only two major ongoing storylines going on at the moment (Dasher/Touchdown and Kimber Lee/Whisper) and I have details on them in the OP. Apparently, Dasher will be there to cut a promo about his actions at the end of the last season.

Otherwise, here's what to know about the card:

- Kimber Lee and Whisper vs. Crummels and Defarge: Whisper has some blackmail on Kimber Lee and they ended up being stuck together as a tag team in the Lethal Lottery tournament. They won that tournament and, much to Kimber's dismay, won the tag titles. They're up against Crummels and Defarge, who used to be tag champs a while back.

- Penelope Ford vs. Still Life with Pears and Apricots: Penelope Ford is a newcomer to Chikara and doesn't have much character or storyline yet. At the season finale, she defeated Blank. Now Blank has his henchman out to wrestle her.

- Jeremy Leary and Blanche Babish vs. Merlok and Oceanea: Jeremy Leary turned face last year due to a weird storyline about him and Lucas Calhoun being genetically engineered super soldiers. He started palling around with Blanche due to them both being greaser types. Back at the end of 2017, Oceanea kicked Merlok's rear end so badly that he became subservient to her. She was gone for much of 2018 and their stable never did much, but they got a big win at the end of the 2018 finale, so that's something.

- Officer Barksdale vs. Hallowicked: Hallowicked is a top heel who hasn't had much going on since his big HeXed Men storyline ended a few years ago. Barksdale is a jobber face who hasn't had anything going on ever. Don't expect much from this one.

- Los Ice Creams vs. Proteus Wheel vs. Bird and the Bee vs. the Colony: Los Ice Creams are comedy jobbers. Proteus Wheel spent 2018 as a monster stable, but lost two feuds at the end of that season. Solo Darling will be introducing her new partner, Willow Nightingale. The Colony had a pretty great 2018, having won the respect of Fire Ant, won the King of Trios tournament and won their feud against Proteus Wheel.

- Xyberhawx vs. FIST: Razerhawk has had plenty of issues with FIST captain Icarus and also issues with the fact that he has a major losing streak going on. The new version of FIST needs a win to stay relevant and this will probably do it for them.

- Missile Assault Man vs. Juan Francisco de Coronado: Even though he was champion going into 2018, Juan Francisco has floundered since losing his belt. He's up against Missile Assault Man, whose storylines and motivations have always been half-assed and never fully explained.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

RealFoxy posted:

Necro Butcher was Colt Cabunny, Dean Ambrose was almost in the BDK instead of Tim Donst, Drake Younger was in the Osirian Portal, and Sara Del Rey was almost the first singles champion until she got signed away by the WWE.

CHIKARA has always had really weird stuff that was almost canon, and their partnership with CZW was one of the least outrageous things.

Minor correction, but it was Sami Callahan who almost in the BDK.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

National Pro Wrestling Day results. The feed was pretty terrible with just a badly-lit hard cam.

- Penelope Ford defeated Still Life with Apricots and Pears. By the time I got the stream working, this match was over. Afterwards, Blank stormed off, disgusted.

- Solo Darling/Willow Nightingale defeated Los Ice Creams, Volgar/Frantik and Green Ant/Thief Ant to earn two points.

- Icarus defeated a debuting Christian Cobain. It was a Magic Move Match, meaning one of them had to hit a superkick for the crowd to win prizes. Cobain succeeded in that, but still lost.

- Missile Assault Man defeated Juan Francisco. Not only did this bring an end to Juan's two points, but he was handed a document after the match. He threw it over his shoulder in disgust and walked off. Later on, one of the fans posted the image on Twitter. It's a notification that he's been dodging taxes from Ecuador for ten years and his citizenship has been revoked.

- Mr. Touchdown came out and demanded Dasher show up with his title. Boomer appeared instead and Touchdown threatened to punch him in the face. Finally, Dasher appeared and claimed that he refused to give the title back out of fear that Touchdown wasn't fully healthy and ready. He insisted on a match for Touchdown to prove himself worthy of being champion. Touchdown agreed, but it turns out his opponent was Callux the Castigator.

- Mr. Touchdown defeated Callux with a superplex. After the match, Dasher still refused to accept that Touchdown was ready and said that he had to earn two more points.

- Oceanea/Merlok defeated Jeremy Leary/Blanche Babish in fairly dominant fashion.

- Officer Barksdale defeated Hallowicked with a hurricanrana flash pin. Big upset.

- FIST defeated Xyberhawx incredibly quickly, feeding into Razerhawk's losing streak.

- Kimber Lee/Whisper defeated Crummels/Defarge 2-0. The second time had Kimber Lee shove Crummels and Whisper off the top rope with Crummels being knocked out and Bryce stopping the match. Looked to be planned as part of Kimber Lee's inability to escape being in this tag team.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Unfortunately, it's only a beta for the creation suite. That said, it's pretty drat sweet so far. New Legacy posted a video of them messing around with it and there's a lot of neat stuff in there.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The roster/alumni page has been updated. Gone are the Proletariat Boar of Moldova and the bicycle guys. Also off the main roster are Quack (who I guess is taking an off-screen role since he wasn't even doing commentary on the last show) and Missile Assault Man (despite being on the last show and being scheduled for the next).

On a nice note, Chuck Taylor will be part of the WrestleMania weekend show as part of an 8-man tag featuring former YLC winners. It's Thunderfrog, Jigsaw, Chucky T and Razerhawk vs. Hallowicked, Hermit Crab, Arik Cannon and Cam Zagami.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

This Saturday they're doing a Young Lions Cup double-header. Stage 1 at 3pm and Stage 2 at 7pm.

Stage 1:

- YLC Tournament: Boomer Hatfield vs. Jaden Valo vs. Jay Sorbet vs. Blanche Babish

- YLC Tournament: Green Ant vs. Brayden Lee vs. Allie Kat vs. Ricky South

- YLC Tournament: Davienne vs. Cam Carter vs. Still Life with Apricots and Pears vs. DL Hurst

- YLC Tournament: Air Wolf vs. Jaden Newman vs. Thief Ant vs. Frantik

- The Regime will be there. No word on their opponents, but they'll likely be breaking up the team since Juan Francisco pays the Closers and he's having tax issues.

- Missile Assault Man vs. Rory Gulak

- Lucas Calhoun vs. Volgar in a chain match

- Mr. Touchdown vs. Chris Dickinson for Touchdown's "second point."

Stage 2:

- Fire Ant and Worker Ant vs. Hermit Crab and Cajun Crawdad

- Crummels and Defarge vs. FIST

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Young Lions Cup XV results.

1ST STAGE

- YLC Opener: Boomer Hatfield defeated Lee Moriarty, Lady Frost and Jay Sorbet. After the match, Boomer was being interviewed, but when asked about his father, Dasher ran over and ended the interview.

- The Regime was supposed to take on a trio of masked jobbers, but the Closers talked about how Juan Francisco's money has dried up and he hasn't been paying them. The match never happened as the Closers just beat the hell out of Juan Francisco.

- YLC Opener: Jaden Newman defeated Thief Ant, Air Wolf and Frantik.

- Missile Assault Man defeated Rory Gulak relatively quickly.

- Lucas Calhoun defeated Volgar in a chain match. It was unsanctioned, so it didn't have commentary and took place in the middle of intermission, making it feel weird. They used last man standing rules with the crowd counting.

- YLC Opener: Still Life with Apricots and Pears defeated Cam Carter, Davienne and DL Hurst.

- YLC Opener: Ricky South defeated Allie Kat, Brayden Lee and Green Ant. Ricky was the most over outsider wrestler of the show and won with a crazy second-rope piledriver.

- Mr. Touchdown defeated Chris Dickinson to earn his "second point." Dasher came out to talk up how Touchdown would have another match at the 2nd Stage. Bryce was pissed about that since the wrestlers don't make the matches, but Touchdown accepted the challenge, just wanting to get this over with.

2ND STAGE

- YLC Semifinals: Boomer Hatfield defeated Jason Newman.

- YLC Semifinals: Still Life defeated Ricky South, reversing his second-rope piledriver into a pin.

- Air Wolf defeated Cam Carter. Afterwards, he cut a promo on A-Kid for their WrestleMania Weekend match.

- The Colony (Fire, Worker, Thief) defeated Creatures of the Deep (Merlok, Hermit Crab, Cajun Crawdad). There was a crazy spot where Crawdad climbed to the top rope, grabbed onto the ceiling and then jumped down to the outside.

- FIST (Huckabee and Deppen) defeated Crummels and Defarge to earn their third point. Lots of fun heel vs. heel gags.

- Dasher Hatfield retained the Grand Championship against Solo Darling.

- YLC Finals: Still Life defeated Boomer Hatfield with the Venus Fly Trap (Figure 8 + Sharpshooter). Afterwards, Blank appeared and acted frustrated as even winning YLC can't undo the disgust he feels for how Still Life lost to Penelope Ford.

- King of Trios 2019 announced for the first weekend in October. The same weekend as New York Comic Con. drat IT! This year's theme is tying into the Chikara game coming out.

- Mr. Touchdown defeated Icarus with a rolling pin out of nowhere to get his "third point." Dasher stormed into the ring and yelled at Icarus for failing. Dasher refused to relinquish his title and instead hit Touchdown with the belt. Bryce angrily said that he would be stepping down as Director of Fun, but his final act would be to setup a ladder match between Dasher and Touchdown for the title at the WrestleMania Weekend show.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rodney the Piper posted:

I'm watching Once Upon a Beginning, which I think is the first CHIKARA show I've sat down and really watched. It's been a fairly fun show, with just the last two matches left. Crowd seemed kind of flat. The biggest problem I had with the show is that the announcers never really explained much of anything, which is a big problem given the complicated backstory of CHIKARA. I don't know what happened to Soldier Ant, but when Icarus mocked him at the opening of the match the lead announcer only mentioned that he was being mocked without saying why.

A better job by the announcers, or even some kind of promo videos for the big matches, would have been really useful.

I haven't gotten around to watching the show yet, but Soldier Ant's deal is that he got both of his antennae torn off over time and it rendered him blind, forcing him into retirement.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I just realized that Mr. Touchdown's profile has been moved to the alumni page. Huh.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DM Punk posted:

Breaking news from last night.

I might end up in critical condition!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

syzpid posted:

I was just looking at Ophidians matches this year, because he seems to be showing up everywhere and just realized he hasn't wrestled a match for Chikara this year. Any idea what happened?

I'm watching Fright Knight right now (they finally put it up on Chikaratopia) and he's in the opening match. Chikara's at a really odd point right now where there don't appear to be many stories going on at all when that's one of the promotion's biggest strengths. So you get all these regulars who have been doing a big pile of nothing over the last couple years.

In other fun "whatever happened to _____" news, Da Soul Touchaz will be taking on the Creatures of the Deep at the Chicago show at the end of the month.

This Saturday is Infinite Gauntlet, which will be live on Chikaratopia. Here's the list of names announced for the match:

Main Roster Guys:

Ophidian
El Hijo del Ice Cream
Ice Cream Jr.
Kobald
Boomer Hatfield
John Frances of Coronado
Worker Ant II
Hallowicked
Rick Roland
Officer Warren Barksdale
Razerhawk
Solo Darling
Dasher Hatfield
Whisper
Volgar
Hermit Crab
Frantik
Oleg the Usurper

Guests/New Folks:

Molly McCoy
Unsocial Jordan
DUKE "THE DUMPSTER" DROSSE
Bull James
Shazza McKenzie

Masked Jobbers for Some Reason:

Enziguri Evan
Armbreaker Amir

Eight more to be announced.

Other matches include:

- Lucas Calhoun and Stray Kat vs. Icarus and Travis Huckabee

- Missile Assault Man vs. Der Wildebeest (apparently Jakob Hammermeier is now managing a Mantaur knockoff? There's nothing I don't love about that sentence)

- Still Life with Apricot and Pears defending the YLC against Thief Ant

- Fire Ant and Green Ant vs. Merlok and Cajun Crawdad

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gavok posted:

This Saturday is Infinite Gauntlet, which will be live on Chikaratopia. Here's the list of names announced for the match:

Main Roster Guys:

Ophidian
El Hijo del Ice Cream
Ice Cream Jr.
Kobald
Boomer Hatfield
John Frances of Coronado
Worker Ant II
Hallowicked
Rick Roland
Officer Warren Barksdale
Razerhawk
Solo Darling
Dasher Hatfield
Whisper
Volgar
Hermit Crab
Frantik
Oleg the Usurper

Guests/New Folks:

Molly McCoy
Unsocial Jordan
DUKE "THE DUMPSTER" DROSSE
Bull James
Shazza McKenzie

Masked Jobbers for Some Reason:

Enziguri Evan
Armbreaker Amir

Eight more to be announced.

Update:

Blank
Jawbreaker Josue (another jobber)
Nytehawk
Cornelius Crummels
Sonny Defarge
Danjerhawk

Joining the Foot Clan is hard work.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The Infinite Gauntlet match was very interesting. It was essentially two stories making up the match.

First, early on, Dasher Hatfield and Boomer Hatfield were in the ring and it became a lengthy bout of them fighting each other and occasionally taking a break to eliminate the next competitor so they could go back to the fight. Eventually, the new entrants were heels and Dasher was able to intimidate them into sitting this one out. That is, until Blank ran out, got all the heels to attack as one and it still led to the Hatfields clearing the ring. Newcomer Molly McCoy tried to get them to shake hands and make up (ironic, given her name), but Dasher attacked Boomer and eliminated him.

The match was filled with about 5-6 masked jobber types. On commentary, Director of Fun Sydney Bakabella explained that they were cheaper to pay for in terms of filling up the 33 spots. The masked jobbers started teaming up a bunch and took out various opponents with team-up attacks and pins. It became apparent that Enziguri Evan was the endboss of the group and Armbreaker Amir was capable enough to make Duke "The Dumpster" Drosse tap out. The guys also spent a lot of time loosening the top rope.

The end of the match had Enziguri Evan hold Solo Darling and Whisper over his shoulders, only for Hallowicked to give him a yakuza kick. All four of them went over the barely-existent top rope and fell to the floor. #33 was Ophidian, who won by default and now gets a free title shot.

Afterwards, Boomer and Dasher returned and got in a huge argument, culminating in Bakabella announcing a mask vs. mask match between the two in Chicago.

Post-credits was another episode of the Heralds and Harbingers series, which is the weird backstory of all those jobber guys.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Based on how Ophidian won the Infinite Gauntlet, they're doing a story where Quack refuses to even allow him into the Wrestle Factory anymore. I'm guessing Quack is somehow also aware that the jobbers are some kind of Nexus/Fight Club/Foot Clan thing now.

Here are the matches scheduled for this weekend's Aniversario shows:

Saturday:

John Francis of Coronado and Kimber Lee vs. Icarus and Dasher Hatfield (all have held the Grand Championship)
Missile Assault Man vs. Hallowicked
Green Ant vs. Still Life with Apricots and Pears (YLC)
Boomer Hatfield and Molly McCoy vs. Hermit Crab and Merlok
Jason Gory vs. Travis Huckabee
The Rascalz vs. Crummels and Defarge
Lady Frost vs. Blank

Sunday:

Boomer Hatfield vs. Dasher Hatfield (mask vs. mask)
The Minnesota Wrecking Zoo vs. The Proteus Wheel
John Francis vs. Whisper
Solo Darling vs. Icarus
Lucas Calhoun and Stray Kat vs. Arik Cannon and Darin Corbin
Da Soul Touchaz vs. Creatures of the Deep

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I haven't posted much because Chikaratopia is so many shows behind, but we're at least four teams into King of Trios. All guest teams so far.

- The Genetic Freaks: Scott Steiner, Petey Williams and Jordynne Grace
- The Four Nations: Mick Moretti, Jack Bonza and Adam Hoffman
- The Carnies: Nick Iggy, Kerry Awful and Tripp Cassidy
- The Embassy: Prince Nana, Jimmy Rave and Sal Rinauro

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So nothing much has been going on because Chikara's spent the last few months doing shows at baseball stadiums that aren't really important other than gradually doing the Johnny Kid Invitational Tournament and letting the Crucible stuff play out. Right now the next big show is Chikarasaurus Rex in a few weeks, which at least looks like a good show.

For King of Trios (which is the same week as AEW and Fox Smackdown), we're up to 11 teams. So far we got:

The Carnies (Nick Iggy, Kerry Awful, and Tripp Cassidy)
The Colony (Fire Ant, Green Ant, and Thief Ant)
The Creatures of the Deep (Oceanea, Merlok, and Hermit Crab)
The Crucible (Ophidian, The Whisper, and Lance Steel)
The Crucible (Devantes, Matt Makowski, and E.M. DeMorest)
The Embassy (Prince Nana, Jimmy Rave, and Sal Rinauro)
F.I.S.T. (Icarus, Travis Huckabee, and Tony Deppen)
The Four Nations (Mick Moretti, Jack Bonza, and Adam Hoffman)
Scott Steiner, Petey Williams, and Jordynne Grace
Solo Darling, Willow Nightingale, and Freddie Mercurio
VeloCities (Paris De Silva, Jude London, and Mat Diamond)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

At Trios, Quack will be teaming up with the Ugly Ducklings. Bless me bagpipes!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Team #13 is Hallowicked, Frightmare and Kobald.

On Twitter, Dasher keeps tweeting at Boomer to call him and drop out of Rey de Voladores so they an Molly McCoy can enter the tournament. Boomer hasn't responded and Dasher is getting increasingly annoyed.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

that does look a lot like lance steel

I've not been keeping up but if there's a secret Lance Steel origin story happening in the background of the Crucible plot I'm going to lose it

I haven't been 100% paying attention to Chikara this season, but they have established that Lance Steel and the Whisper are brothers. That's why Whisper's always had an obsession with loving with Kimber Lee. She used to be aligned with Steel, treated him like crap and dropped him the moment she was able to break out on her own.

Chikarasaurus Rex is streaming later today. There are 12 matches announced, which is a LOT for modern Chikara.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Chikarasaurus Rex results. The show actually had "15 matches," but it was really 12 matches and a Crucible segment in the middle of intermission.

- John Francis of Coronado defeated Jakob Hammermeier. JFoC kept doing spots from other patriotic wrestlers like Hogan and Cena. Jakob had his bodyguard Wildebeest regularly interfering, but Jakob accidentally hit him with the knockout punch and JFoC made Jakob tap to the ankle lock.

- FIST (Deppen and Huckabee) defended the tag titles against Lucas Calhoun and Stray Kat. It was pretty one-sided. FIST got the first pinfall within a minute and then finished the clean sweep after another couple minutes. Afterwards, the commentators wondered what's the next step for Calhoun and Kat.

- Missile Assault Man defeated Kobald. As Missile made Kobald tap, Hallowicked and Frightmare ran out to beat him down. Calhoun and Kat ran them off and Calhoun cut a promo on Missile for stubbornly trying to take on the entire world by himself. Presumably, these three will enter King of Trios.

- Fire Ant defeated Cajun Crawdad. Crawdad had most of the match in hand, including hitting a Coast to Coast, but Fire Ant recovered and hit a string of moves to win.

- Blank defeated Penelope Ford. Afterwards, he cut a promo about how his next move is going to be destroying his masterpiece. He'll take on Still Life with Apricots and Pears at King of Trios.

- Dasher Hatfield defended the Grand Championship against Mick Moretti. Solid match where Moretti wore facepaint that made him look like a cross between a baseball and the Joker. This is the first time Dasher's wrestled maskless and the dude is pure jaw.

- During intermission, the ropes were removed and they came back for a Crucible open challenge. Ophidian asked for opponents for his "assets" where they would face off in the ring with a 2 minute time limit. Matches could only be won by knockout, tap-out or ring-out. First match was Thief Ant vs. the Crucible guy who used to do Bellator. Bellator Guy made him tap out fairly easily. Next up was Still Life vs. the guy who looks like a plus-sized Tim Donst. Not-Donst won via knockout. When Ophidian wanted one more challenger, Jawbreaker Josue and his two friends from the Crucible backstory videos appeared from outside. Apparently, sometime after Infinite Gauntlet, Josue was kicked out of the Crucible. He took on the Middle Eastern guy with Mortal Kombat pants and ended up making him tap. Josue and friends made a run for it and drove off while Ophidian slapped Mortal Kombat Pants around for his failure.

- Joey Janela defeated Hallowicked. It was supposed to be Joey vs. Quack, but Quack had to bow out due to what I guess would be an injury. I missed the beginning of the promo. Quack put over Joey before the match as being a self-made wrestler. Joey won via top-rope elbow and took in a big ovation from the fans.

- The Crucible (Whisper, Lance Steel and Crucible's Beefy Ugly Black Guy) defeated Creatures of the Deep (Oceanea, Merlok and Hermit Crab). Creatures were the faces by default, especially Merlok. Oceanea tried to downplay him a bit by tagging in when he was on a roll. In the end, Beefy Ugly Black Guy beat Merlok with the TKO. After the match, Oceanea screamed at her henchmen for being losers. Hermit Crab and Crawdad tried to help Merlok to the back, but he shoved them away.

- Kimber Lee defeated Solo Darling. They showed respect after the match and Kimber started talking to everyone about how sorry she feels about the way she treated Lance Steel. Ophidian and Whisper came out and convinced her to join the Crucible out of guilt. Ophidian said she'd be on their Trios team.

- Volgar defeated Boomer Hatfield.

- Xyberhawx defeated Crummels and Defarge.

- Ophidian defeated Green Ant in the Johnny Kid Invitational Finals. It was an incredibly quick 2-3 minute match with a rapid pace. They played up how Ophidian's training in the Crucible matches have made him quicker to go in for the kill. Afterwards, Ophidian posed in the ring with the entire Crucible faction while holding up his three gold medallions as winning the tournament gives him a title shot.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

coconono posted:

Is he really called Beefy Ugly Black Guy?

Nah, he's -- *looks it up on the KOT wiki page* -- Devantes. Belator Guy is Matt Makowski and Not-Donst is E.M. DeMorest.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Xerzes posted:

Still Life got challenged to a match at the next show, and two segments later got knocked out in under two minutes?

Also, the rookie who recently beat the company's champion went and lost against a guy who's part of a heel stable with zero heat right now.

DM Punk posted:

The whole Crucible angle is lame. I am just sick of big bad faction vs CHIKARA storylines. Kimber Lee joining makes very little sense. Just feeling bad is a terrible reason to join the group. They don't have any power over her or anything. It just seems weird for her to go along with it.

I like a lot of the angle, especially in the weird way they built it up and the in-story explanation for it. And even if I can't remember their names without looking them up, I like that it's been doing a good enough job building up four new guys on the roster without giving them silly gimmicks. Like, this is the third time a heel faction has had two teams in King of Trios, but it's set up in a way where Ophidian's students don't feel entirely like the throwaway B-team.

On the other hand, this has been a really weak storyline year for the company and really feels like Quack is creatively burned out. So doing another evil stable angle in relation to that isn't a good look and the Kimber Lee part really doesn't help.

I do wonder if this whole thing is Quack's own little attempt at rebooking the Nexus invasion and figuring that Jericho or Edge should have been the team's leader.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I WANT TO BE YOUR DEAR FRIEND!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lucas Calhoun, Missile Assault Man and Stray Kat are the 15th team in Trios. Also, the main Crucible team is now Ophidian, Lance Steel and Kimber Lee. Whisper seemed pissed about it on Twitter.

I have to assume that the final team will either be Proteus Wheel, XyberhawX 2000 or maybe the three washouts from the Crucible storyline. Otherwise, the only guys on the roster page who aren't accounted for in the tournament or other announced matches are: Blanche Babish, Officer Barksdale, the Closers, John Francis of Coronado, Crummels & Defarge, Penelope Ford, Rory Gulak, Los Ice Creams, Jeremy Leary, Oleg the Usurper, Whisper, Wildebeest and Worker Ant.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

King of Trios first round so far:

Team Nerder Death Kris (Nick Gage, Thomas Santell, and Kris Statlander) vs. Team Pump (Scott Steiner, Petey Williams, and Jordynne Grace)
VeloCities (Paris De Silva, Jude London, and Mat Diamond) vs. The Crucible (Ophidian, Princess KimberLee, and Lance Steel)
Quack Attack (Mike Quackenbush, Lance Lude, and Rob Killjoy) vs. The Colony (Fire Ant, Green Ant [II], and Thief Ant)
The Legion of Rot (Hallowicked, Frightmare, and Kobald) vs. The Carnies (Nick Iggy, Kerry Awful, and Tripp Cassidy)
The Crucible (Devantes, Matt Makowski, and E.M. DeMorest) vs. The Queens (Solo Darling, Willow Nightingale, and Freddie Mercurio)
F.I.S.T. (Icarus, Travis Huckabee, and Tony Deppen) vs. The Embassy (Prince Nana, Jimmy Rave, and Sal Rinauro)

And the teams yet to be matched up:

The Creatures of the Deep (Oceanea, Merlok, and Hermit Crab)
The Nations (Mick Moretti, Jack Bonza, and Adam Hoffman)
Lucas Calhoun, Missile Assault Man, and Stray Kat
The Throwbacks (Dasher Hatfield, Boomer Hatfield, and Molly McCoy)

Danjerhawk is part of RDV and two of the guys from Proteus Wheel will show up in the tag gauntlet. Night 2 will feature Blank vs. Still Life.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm still not going to be able to watch live due to NYCC and Friday being my bachelor party, but it's good to know that I won't have to wait for the shows to be available.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

King of Trios 2019 Results:

- The Crucible (Pros) defeat the VeloCities. Probably the most obvious win of the tournament, considering it's the main heel team vs. the guys who merely exist for Rey de Voladores. Lance Steel won via Boston Crab.

- The Nations defeated Karate Kat Xtreme. One of the highlights was Mick Moretti rubbing Stray Kat's belly with his foot while he was doing a handstand.

- The Carnies defeated the Legion of Rot. Tripp Cassidy caught Hallowicked with kind of a sloppy Codebreaker-type move while pulling him off the top rope. Commentary brought up how Tripp tends to have Hallowicked's number.

- The Hatfields and McCoy defeated the Creatures of the Deep. Cajun Crawdad had to replace Hermit Crab due to injury. The dynamic of the Hatfields team was that Boomer and Molly made for a great tag team, but Dasher kept causing issues with Boomer and routinely insisted on getting the spotlight. Boomer got the win and Oceanea berated her henchmen. Finally, Merlok shoved her down and stormed off. Crawdad and Hermit Crab tried to make good, but Oceanea continued to yell at them, so they left her too.

- The Colony defeated Quack Attack. For about half the match, it was Quack vs. Fire and both refused to tag out. Thief Ant finally blind-tagged Fire, causing brief animosity, but the match finally moved forward. One of the better matches of the weekend.

- The Crucible (Rookies) defeated the Queens. I don't really remember much about this one other than how fun Freddie Mercurio's gimmick is.

- FIST defeated the Embassy. It started heel vs. heel, but the Embassy eventually got the crowd behind them, including the unexpected image of Prince Nana cleaning house with a hot tag.

- Team Pump defeated NDK. Fun match that made up for Steiner being barely mobile. Crowd was NOT happy with NDK losing.

NIGHT 2

- RDV 4-Way: The Whisper defeated Danjerhawk, Jude London, and Mat Diamond. Once Danjerhawk was out, the two VeloCities guys worked together until London eliminated Diamond. Whisper was able to take advantage of that and win soon after.

- KOT Quarterfinals: FIST defeated the Carnies.

- Blank defeated Still Life with Apricots and Pears. Blank tore up Still Life's mask during the match, albeit not enough to cause DQ.

- KOT Quarterfinals: The Nations defeated Team Pump. Team Pump, as shown, had a swear jar for Steiner. After the match, Petey gave the jar to Moretti, whose partners prevented him from swearing on the spot.

- RDV 4-Way: Alex Zayne defeated Cajun Crawdad, Freddie Mercurio, and Paris De Silva. All the eliminations happened in a cluster as Crawdad and Mercurio got pinned at the same time, then Zayne took out Silva.

- KOT Quarterfinals: The Crucible (Pros) defeated the Crucible (Rookies) via Fingerpoke of Doom.

- John Francis of Coronado defeated Thomas Santell. Incredibly solid match. John Francis kept wearing him down, trying for the ankle lock and won when he finally got it locked on with a grapevine.

- KOT Quarterfinals: The Colony defeated the Hatfields and McCoy. Boomer was doing great, but Fire took him out with a flash pin. Afterwards, Molly and Dasher loudly berated Boomer for being worthless, which is when the feed died.

NIGHT 3

- Throughout the first half of the show, we'd see backstage segments of Lady Frost trying to find a tag partner for the gauntlet match to no avail. Her attempts were Jakob Hammermeier (had a partner), Oleg the Usurper (had a match), and Hermit Crab (had an injury).

- KOT Semifinals: The Nations defeated FIST. This made the Nations into full-on faces for the rest of the show.

- KOT Semifinals: The Crucible (Pros) defeated the Colony. Ophidian messed up Thief and Green pretty badly, leaving Fire to take on the Crucible himself. Taking out Ophidian seemed to make Fire break down a bit rather than go for the pin. Kimber Lee then fought him and won via Alligator Clutch. Afterwards, Fire got a huge ovation while he and the other ants hugged it out. Fire held their hands up before they left to the back.

- Oleg defeated Mat Diamond. Dasher was on commentary, putting over the idea that he was going to have to defend against Oleg soon.

- Tag Team Gauntlet Match: The Bird and the Bee (Solo Darling and Willow Nightingale) won after defeating the Proteus Wheel. The team order was VeloCities, Crummels/Defarge, Jakob/Wildebeest, Closers, Crucible (Frey Nassar and Tunko Amir), Jawbreaker Josue/Joshua Wells, Proteus Wheel, Creatures of the Deep, and Bird and the Bee. The Creatures vs. Proteus Wheel section was the best part of it, including Crawdad and Merlok wrestling as faces. Solo and Willow now have three points.

- Jordynne Grace defeated Lady Frost.

- RDV Finals: Whisper defeated Alex Zayne. The two did the Spider-Man point early on. Fantastic match with the crowd really getting behind Whisper. Afterwards, he showed respect to Zayne and cut a promo about how he was the first ever two-time RDV winner and his next target is Dasher Hatfield and the Grand Championship.

- KOT Finals: The Crucible defeated the Nations. The Nations were going for their triple powerbomb on Lance Steel, but his teammates saved him. He reversed it into a Boston Crab on Mick Moretti and made him tap out. Afterwards, Ophidian had the entire Crucible come out as he celebrated. Whisper looked annoyed during this.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I mentioned this in the MOTYC thread, but the thing this year's King of Trios did best was propel Whisper into potentially being the company's top face.

Ever since Touchdown lost the title and got written out of Chikara, the promotion has been really aimless due to being awful with major faces. FIST has the tag titles, but nobody is really groomed to take it from them. Dasher is a great heel champ, but the only major feud he's had is with his son, who still loses a bunch despite getting one over on his dad. The Crucible has a lot going for it, but opposition isn't part of it. Their biggest enemies are Quack (who should have limited spotlight) and a few rookies.

Whisper has been built up as a mainstay in the past few years and is over without having been a main eventer. Now they've put him in a position where he has issues with the Crucible without having gone full face, but his role in Rey de Voladores has gotten the crowd behind him as a spirited and honorable face who wants to dethrone Dasher. That in itself puts him at odds with the Crucible down the line since both he and Ophidian have three points.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So right now Chikara's hyping up November 9's show "Tug of War" as being the finale. It has Dasher defending the title against Whisper and FIST defending against Bird and Bee, but otherwise doesn't have much going on.

The real question mark (literally, since it's listed as "?") is November 23. Something is supposed to be going down at the Wrestle Factory, presumably as some kind of climax to the Crucible storyline. The only thing we know is an image of a gold and black cube covered with question marks and the Chikara logo. This has led to MANY Hellraiser references from fans. Just recently, Thief Ant posted an image of a tiny version of that box and asked Boomer what he's supposed to do with it.

Also, Jeremy Leary and Blanche Babish are now listed on the alumni section. Lady Frost too, but I don't recall her ever being on the main roster page.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The season finale was a pretty average Chikara show. Other than the main event angle, the only important thing in there was Bird and Bee winning the tag titles.

Dasher vs. Whisper was supposed to happen halfway into the show. Ophidian (with his Golden Opportunity) came out and wanted Whisper to stand down. Then it seemed like they were going to do a triple threat, but Ophidian instead jumped Whisper from behind and brutalized him, including whipping him with a belt for a while. The match was called off. Backstage, Whisper was told that due to Bakabella's strict rules, if he didn't wrestle Dasher tonight, he'd lose his opportunity. He insisted on facing Dasher despite being hurt.

The match itself was completely one-sided and was mainly about Whisper constantly kicking out of Dasher's pin attempts. Finally, he lost via count-out when crashing to the floor and being too physically spent. Afterwards, Ophidian appeared and hit Whisper with an Egyptian Destroyer on the concrete. He then entered the ring and demanded Quack appear and step down as head trainer. Quack instead appeared with the three Crucible washouts as well as Mr. Zero, Jigsaw and another masked guy. The show ended with a big faction brawl.

After the credits, Bakabella told the other commentator that being Director of Fun is boring. He announces that all title points and Golden Opportunities are wiped clean and he quits.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Missile Assault Man announced on Twitter that he was done with Chikara.

Man, that Proteus Wheel storyline sure was fun. Then a year later, everyone involved is either gone from the company or might as well be due to how much they fell into obscurity.

Edit: John Francis of Coronado is also done with the company.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 11, 2019

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The big mystery show is this Saturday and there's still no word on what it's supposed to be. Just that it's neither part of Season 20 or Season 21.

Also, it seems like Lucas Calhoun is probably done with the company. He tweeted something about how he was going to have a lot more open weekends next year and when Jeremy Leary asked if he was joining the Past Stars Brotherhood, to which he just said, "Welllllllll"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The big mystery show wasn't streamed at all. Friend of mine went to it and seems to think that it's some kind of pilot and maybe a test run for other Chikara guys to step up in production. It was mostly squash matches with a couple competitive matches thrown in there. There was a sense of audience control in there, like asking fans not to yell "ONE FALL!" Or when a kid was interviewed and said that he was there to see Ophidian, they did another take and had him say he wanted to see Xyberhawx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

2015: It's hilarious that goofy, family friendly Chikara is involved in a storyline about a man haunted from committing war crimes.

2019: Chikara is possibly being funded by Saudi blood money.