Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Finn Bálor vs. Jordan Devlin, WWE NXT UK Takeover: Blackpool, 1/12

YES.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

ShadowedFlames posted:

MOTYC: Pete Dunne vs Joe Coffey, NXT UK Takeover: Blackpool, Jan 12.

Holy. loving. poo poo.

THIS. I want to concur with the above WMOTYC because Dunne beat the best wrestler in Scotland, but that was the best example of hyper-spectacle that the WWE's ever produced. loving amazing. Joe was robbed, but HOLY poo poo WALTER

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

DarkstarIV posted:

MOTYC: War Raiders vs TUE, NXT Takeover Phoenix

mhm

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

nth

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MOTYC Bálor/Lesnar

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Seth/Brock should be the opener at Mania

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm probably the only one who watched it, but yesterday's World's Collide tournament had a bunch of HM's imo
Tyler Bate vs Donovan Dijakovic Quarter Finals
Velveteen Dream vs Jordan Devlin Semi Finals
Jordan Devlin vs Drew Gulak Quarter Finals
Adam Cole vs Tyler Bate Semi Finals
Velveteen Dream vs Tyler Bate Finals

nth

e:

Senerio posted:

(This criteria goes out the window if it's a smaller promotion that doesn't get enough eyes on it to be worth nominating for MOTYC. In that case I nominate HM because then it has a chance to get on the list.)

this is why it should be a two-tier system tbh: WWE, NJPW, CMLL, ROH and eventually AEW under the current system, and indie promotions under the previous system

I mean this opens up the question of ‘what is an indie/major?’ but tbh they’re the five promotions who get the most buzz/frequent nominations on SA, six if you count TNA I guess. The current system compensates for the biases of eyes on the product/major capital behind it, but it definitely hurts the chances that smaller promotions’ll be recognised for outstanding matches at the end of the year, especially if they don’t have regular TV or w/e

Venomous fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 4, 2019

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Women's Elimination Chamber Tag Team match for the Women's Tag Team Titles - WWE Elimination Chamber 2/17

Started really awkward but then got better at around the 1/3rd mark and just improved and improved till a great ending. Really drat good match, way better than it had any right to be given the participants.

2nd, easy 2nd

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MOTYC Men’s EC

If Bryan/Kofi isn’t the Mania match then idk what they’re doing, because Bryan/Miz ain’t it anymore

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

NienNunb posted:

You guys genuinely should have higher standards for what you'd call a match of the year.

Sorry that you don’t like fun and chaos

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I mean I’ve really come to dislike Kenny Omega’s matches but you don’t find me screaming from the rooftops that everyone is wrong for liking his matches, because everyone has their own tastes and that’s fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI

Venomous fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 15, 2019

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbf comedy nonsense can make for the best wrestling matches, hence why Toru Yano is the greatest wrestler in the world

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Kensuke Sasaki and the Florida Brothers vs Do Fixer :vince:

on the one hand this is a loving great match with some incredibly funny spots. on the other hand you cut out my sincere and objectively correct opinion that Toru Yano is the greatest wrestler in the world. Support Yano you coward

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Tonfa posted:

MOTYC Ishii/Taichi

hell yes

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MOTYC: Toru Yano vs. Colt Cabana, NJPW New Japan Cup Day 8, 3/17

Venomous fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 21, 2019

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Wasn’t too into the main today (Tanahashi/ZSJ) but imo it’s still worth checking out if you liked their last three matches.

HM: Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Tomohiro Ishii & Hirooki Goto, NJPW New Japan Cup Day 10, 3/21

Chaos is exploding and it’s so drat good. Y-H was great here, Goto and Ishii rule as always, and they’re setting up a Goto/Ishii heel turn (at the very least) really nicely. It’ll be interesting to see how Okada gets his win back over Ishii tomorrow.

HM: Colt Cabana vs. SANADA, NJPW New Japan Cup Day 10, 3/21

Regardless of the overall winner, it’s clear to me that Colt Cabana is the MVP of the whole tournament and he should at least come back for the G1. Did really well here imo.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MOTYC: Kento Miyahara vs. Naoya Nomura, AJPW Dream Power Series 2019 Day 6, 3/19

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Akileese posted:

Do I need to start watching more AJPW or was this an exception?

Nah, imo AJPW's main event scene is a lot better than NJPW's these days. Definitely watch more AJPW, they rule. Champion Carnival is coming up next month, so that'll be a great place to start.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

MOTYC Brock/Seth

HM Brock/Seth

WMOTYC Brock/Seth

nth

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

HM: The Bar vs. The Usos vs. Rusev/Nakamura vs. Ricochet/Black, Wrestlemania 35 4/7

Sure

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

MOTYC KOFI/BRYAN HOLY loving poo poo AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

YESYESYESYESYES

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Senerio posted:

HM: The Miz vs Shane "The Best in the world... THE BEST IN THE WORLD" McMahon

I needed that after the past few matches

Meant to say but nth

e: also HM Ronda/Charlotte/Becky

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Tbh if that were longer and Triple H/Batista was, like, 10-15 minutes shorter, it would’ve sped things up a lot

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I actually kept up all through Mania weekend and kept the OP as up to date as possible, I've let it slide the last few days though. With that said...

:siren: EVERY UNSUCCESSFUL NOMINATION FROM THE FIRST MINUTE OF 2019 TO THE LAST MINUTE OF WRESTLEMANIA 35 NOW HAS EXACTLY ONE WEEK TO GET THEIR REQUIRED VOTES BEFORE BEING PURGED FROM THE LIST :siren:

ok. nth the following MOTYCs:

01/03 | Kento Miyahara vs. KAI - AJPW (4 votes)
01/29 | KUSHIDA vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi in KUSHIDA's farewell match - NJPW Road to New Beginning (6 votes)
02/28 | Masashi Takeda vs. Toshiyuki Sakuda - BJW Deathmatch Survivor (3 votes)

nth the following WMOTYCs:

02/17 | BRAUN! vs. Baron Corbin - WWE Elimination Chamber (4 votes)
04/06 | Mayu Iwatani (C) vs. Kelly Klein for the Women of Honor Championship - G1 Supercard (2 votes)
04/07 | Roman Reigns vs. Drew McIntyre - Wrestlemania 35 (4 votes)

nth the following HMs:

02/12 | Daniel Bryan vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles vs. Randy Orton in a Gauntlet Match - WWE Smackdown (2 votes)
02/20 | Johnny Gargano vs. the Velveteen Dream for the NXT North American Championship - NXT (4 votes)
03/12 | Daniel Bryan (C) vs. Kevin Owens vs. Mustafa Ali for the WWE Championship - WWE Fastlane (4 votes)
03/20 | NXT Fatal Fiveway - NXT (5 votes)
04/09 | Tony Nese vs. Buddy Murphy - WWE 205 Live (3 votes)

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

This is the match you should all be watching and voting for btw

Watched it and yeah, nth Fujimoto/TinTin

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Also this is why we need a tiered system to compensate for this forum’s inherent bias towards major companies over indies

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Eh, I’d say group WWE, NJPW, ROH, TNA and AEW as majors under the current system, then use the old system for everyone else (4 noms for an MOTYC, 3 for an HM/WMOTYC)

Basically, if they have disproportionate representation and eyes on the product on here compared to every other company (which all of these companies do) then they should be majors; if not, they’re indies.

e: I mean technically speaking satellite fronts such as Evolve, Progress and RevPro aren’t indies, but they don’t have the reach or social capital on here compared to their parent companies, so realistically speaking the divide should be Majors vs. Everyone Else

Venomous fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 20, 2019

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Nthing Kento/Lee and Kento/Aoyagi from above, both ruled

Would nominate White/Goto for WMOTYC based on that flat, passionless ending, but tbh the rest of it wasn’t super awful or anything, it was just a Jay White match

e: anyway, we were talking about Timothy Thatcher a couple of days ago, and my local indie just released his match with Joe Hendry from last November. Imo this match wasn’t an MOTYC or anything, but they work really well together, so this is worth a watch imo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q_CN7Irwtc

Venomous fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 30, 2019

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM Cobb/Taichi

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Aesculus posted:

motyc ishii evil dontaku night 2

nth, also nth MOTYC Lee/Ishimori

e: there is zero chance that SANADA will follow up this match. SANADA is the Jannetty.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

mfcrocker posted:

MOTYCs
Cody vs Dustin Rhodes

HMs
SCU vs Stronghearts
Britt Baker vs Kylie Rae vs Nyla Rose vs :ssh:
Best Friends vs Evans/Angelico
Joshi showcase tag

nth all of these

didn't like the last two matches, but everything up to and including Cody/Dustin was loving incredible, and if the PPV had just ended with Cody and Dustin walking up the ramp Double Or Nothing would 100% be the best wrestling show of the year so far

even then it's still loving amazing as a whole and hell, it's probably still the best show of the year so far lmao

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

this flew under the radar but I just watched it last night so here you go:

MOTYC: Dylan James vs. Yuji Okabayashi, AJPW Champion Carnival Day 12, 4/20 (blaze it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb9fj_x1TKk

Just an incredible hoss fight. Some of the best physical storytelling of the year. Absolutely needs to be seen, if only for James and Okabayashi chopping the poo poo out of each other.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

chirico cuvie posted:

Speaking of which, nth'ing Taker vs. Goldberg, in which two 50 year olds nearly kill each other with unintentional head drops

See, it wouldn’t have been so bad if they could both still go (Liger and Suzuki are hopefully going to have a great match with each other later this year) but neither Goldberg nor Taker prepared enough to work at such a high level, so by all accounts they hosed up royally

btw this isn’t an nth, I didn’t watch this bullshit Saudi puff piece, I’m just saying, when Liger/Suzuki hopefully happens this year it’s gonna loving rule

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Goldberg got a concussion and the Undertaker sucks. It wasn't a lack of preparation, Goldberg works out really loving hard before his matches. It was a match between a concussed dude and a guy who sucks.

fair lmao

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Sticky Nate posted:

MOTYC: Kota Ibushi vs Tetsuya Naito, NJPW Dominion

nth

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

the new rule about no wrestling during commercial breaks

this is a thing now?

...oh God. This is a thing now.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Violent Giants (c) vs. The End for the AJPW Tag Team Championships - AJPW Power Series (6/30)

If you told me that when The End first showed up in EVOLVE that their run would lead to a packed out Korakuen Hall chanting "THE END-O" I would have been very surprised.

2nd

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Chihiro Hashimoto (c) vs. Sareee (c) for the Sendai Girls World Championship & W.W.W.D. Singles Championship - Sendai Girls Big Show in Niigata (6/8)

https://rutube.ru/video/b0e9002874da964f3bc7f8c152836afe

Please watch this incredible match before the G1 starts and it gets buried

yes, this 100%

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Kaito Kiyomiya (c) vs. Takashi Sugiura for the GHC Heavyweight Championship - NOAH Mitsuharu Misawa Memorial Show (June 9th)

Not just my favourite match of June 9th but my favourite match all year. Kaito continues to prove the naysayers wrong as he puts on the best match of his title reign so far alongside the ever increasing attendances at NOAH shows in his reign. Sugiura is an absolute beast in this match too.

so I just watched this the other day and yeah, match of the loving year, no question. Nth

For those who haven't seen this masterpiece yet, here it is on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eby9RXk4dxk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MOTYC: Yano/Taichi