Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Snowman_McK posted:

What if the slaves are the ones building the speed boat?

Excuse me, I think you mean prisoners with jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Think about this for like three seconds, though. Nowhere is ‘safe’.

The Russo Brothers said everyone came back like the tequila worm ghost in Poltergeist II.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’m sorry for starting this derail.

Or...in this case, capsizing?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Who’s ready for more non-answers from bored middle managers??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7wgC0-xOZE

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

emgeejay posted:

You know, they could save a buck by just having the Russons give a Q&A instead of making another movie. Just make the trailers that convey the general premise and have the Russos tour and explain poo poo they couldn't possibly explain in a 3 hour movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I just realized that this Black Widow movie probably takes place between Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron, when Widow says that she's got business to attend to or whatever and then theoretically goes off back to Russia to deal with it. Forgot about that.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

galenanorth posted:

I suspect it may be hard to know even your own intentions in sufficient detail, like doing complicated mental math, without writing it down -- aside from all the things the glove would compensate for

It’s actually very easy, apparently. Banner simply asks for all the dusted lifeforms to return ‘safely’ - and it works. The glove-puter automatically interpreted his intentions. From this, we can understand the reverse: whatever happens after a given snap is a direct illustration of what the snapper intended. It is a direct manifestation of their ideology.

Everything that occurs in all upcoming MCU films will literally occur because Thanos, Banner, and Stark (collectively) intended for it to occur. Not in the sense that Strange orchestrated Stark’s assassination, mind, but in the sense that they all OK’d the systemic problems that led to the terror in Spiderman House 2.

As an example of the glove-puter’s, automation: Thanos certainly didn’t specifically demand that half of all lifeforms disintegrate along with their clothes. But the glove nonetheless read his intentions, and disintegrated the clothing.

What this means is that Thanos was lying about the ‘resources’ thing. If that was his intent, people would just drop dead and become fertilizer. He never actually intended it (duh, obviously) because he really just wanted to kill shitloads of people for the spectacle of it or whatever.

And in that respect, the clothing decision was not totally stupid. Clothes are not just neutral decorations - they are a part of your body, as much of a prosthetic enhancement as a pair of glasses or a pacemaker.

“[Daniel Dennett] insists that tools, the externalised ‘intelligence’ on which human beings rely, are an inherent part of human identity: it is meaningless to imagine a human being as a biological entity without the complex network of his/her tools – it would be like imagining a goose without its feathers.”
-Zizek

If the goal is to erase trillions of trillions of identities from existence, then you should destroy their clothes too. But this also betrays (part of) Thanos’ ideological failure.

“[Dennett] opens up a path which should be followed much further. Since, to express it in good old Marxist terms, man is the totality of his/her social relations, Dennett should take the next logical step and analyse this network of social relations.”
-Zizek

As with Banner’s ideologically-limited definition of ‘safety’ that only accounts for immediate threats and not things like cancer or global warming, Thanos’ definition of a ‘lifeform’ includes clothing yet excludes all other tools. In actuality your clothes are a part of your body, and so is your house. So is your access to healthcare, the air you breathe, etc. People are the totality of their social relations.

So if he truly intended to ‘balance the universe’ for rich and poor equally, why didn’t he start with, like, their wages? Yeah, he’s an idiot - but why didn’t anyone point this out?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Oh rad we’ve moved into the quoting Zizek portion of this thread.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

RBA Starblade posted:

What if you wished for a magic speedboat that could itself end all slavery everywhere

Well that’s just ridiculous.

Speedboats can’t draft legislature.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TK-42-1 posted:

It's like Lamps never left us! :allears:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I just realized that this Black Widow movie probably takes place between Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron, when Widow says that she's got business to attend to or whatever and then theoretically goes off back to Russia to deal with it. Forgot about that.
It's really weird that Black Widow died instead of Hawkeye because a movie about her training Kate Bishop to take up the mantle makes a lot of sense.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

galenanorth posted:

I suspect it may be hard to know even your own intentions in sufficient detail, like doing complicated mental math, without writing it down -- aside from all the things the glove would compensate for

no, you're thinking of the mischievous rules-lawyering genie kind of wish device

i'm thinking about a magic intent-seeking glove

emgeejay posted:

lol they mess up the answer to the very first question

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

TK-42-1 posted:

Was Zizek snapped?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

TK-42-1 posted:

If the glove’puter read Banner’s intentions and prevented all possible transporter accidents, then Thanos intended for his snap to cause car wrecks, helicopter crashes, etc.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Was Zizek snapped?

As long as dumpsters exist on this earth, the spirit of Zizek will live on

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well now that spideys out of the MCU

gently caress i was looking forward to Alex Jones JJJ

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well now that spideys out of the MCU

gently caress i was looking forward to Alex Jones JJJ

Why does Spider-Man leaving the MCU change whether or not they can do the JJJ teased at the end of Far From Home? He's not a loving Avenger; he was in the Raimi movies. I'm pretty sure Sony has the rights to him.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Why does Spider-Man leaving the MCU change whether or not they can do the JJJ teased at the end of Far From Home? He's not a loving Avenger; he was in the Raimi movies. I'm pretty sure Sony has the rights to him.

Depends if Sony wants to go that angle. Disney clearly did, we don't know if Sony wants to. The movie was jointly created. It's hard to say what they can even take from the film since parts of the film are reliant on the other franchise.

If nothing else, this is going to destroy The Narrative of both movie series. Disney was trying to set up as Spider-Man as the news Tony Stark, the new face. And now they have to about face and do that with someone else, with films already in production. Sony now needs to change gears and make this entire thing work with just Spider-Man.

I think this is just going to lead to both of them seeing a harsh dipping sales because both of the movies are going to become very confusing for the Casual moviegoer. They're not going to stand why the thing changed and they're going to get annoyed. This character is Central enough to both of the franchises that it can have a serious effect.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I don't see how Sony would need to change gears. Far From Home tied a lot of stuff up enough that they'd only need a couple minor changes to be totally solo and still well within the "feel" of the previous two films.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think it's perfectly possible for the MCU/Spiderman films to stop acknowledging each other's characters/events without necessarily being conflicting or contradictory. It takes some writing around, but I feel like I've seen movies write their way around bigger gaps than that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

LesterGroans posted:

I don't see how Sony would need to change gears. Far From Home tied a lot of stuff up enough that they'd only need a couple minor changes to be totally solo and still well within the "feel" of the previous two films.

That might not work though. Disney may be able to legally say they can't use anything from the previous films because they were created during the joint agreement. As a matter of fact, they probably can do that. Disney can claim ownership in a lot of the ideas and they have enough money to wrestle them in court until they just do a full reboot.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Covok posted:

That might not work though. Disney may be able to legally say they can't use anything from the previous films because they were created during the joint agreement. As a matter of fact, they probably can do that. Disney can claim ownership in a lot of the ideas and they have enough money to wrestle them in court until they just do a full reboot.

I mean, I don't think that's true at all. What is the "anything from the previous films" they couldn't use? Sony owns the rights to Spider-Man and all of his supporting cast.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

as long as they keep tom holland 90% of people who go see the next live action spiderman film won't even know/care about any of this

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

I mean, I don't think that's true at all. What is the "anything from the previous films" they couldn't use? Sony owns the rights to Spider-Man and all of his supporting cast.

The main obstacle is that the next movie would have to exposit his backstory in a way that doesn't mention Stark, Fury, Thanos, or even Happy Hogan. So the choice is to either talk about all that stuff euphemistically, or just kind of avoid factoring Peter's previous adventures into the plot of the next one.

Brother Entropy posted:

as long as they keep tom holland 90% of people who go see the next live action spiderman film won't even know/care about any of this

This is true, the X-Men movie continuity is absolute gibberish on every conceivable level and people go along with it just fine because the details aren't that memorable and hey the same actor is there.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Supercar Gautier posted:

or just kind of avoid factoring Peter's previous adventures into the plot of the next one.

This seems really easy to do though. He doesn't have to constantly namecheck people he's met.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

LesterGroans posted:

Disney walks in and goes Michelle/"MJ" is an original character

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FilthyImp posted:

Peter: Hey M-
MJ: My name is Denise now.
Parker: O-oh. Why?
Denise: *shrugs*

Covok
May 27, 2013

You guys are really underestimating how easily Disney can tank any attempt to make a sequel in the same universe. Disney can literally mandate that nothing from the previous films can be there because they have a tiny sliver of ownership on this particular iteration of the character. Like, this is a Disney lawyer's playground. Disney has the capital to fight them on every little thing.

What you forget is that it isn't about winning, its about making the cost of winning so high that its not worth it.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 21, 2019

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
lol, yeah, no way a little mom-and-pop operation like Sony could deal with a lawsuit.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Covok posted:

You guys are really underestimating how easily Disney can tank any attempt to make a sequel in the same universe. Disney can literally mandate that nothing from the previous films can be there because they have a tiny sliver of ownership on this particular iteration of the character. Like, this is a Disney lawyer's playground. Disney has the capital to fight them on every little thing.

What you forget is that it isn't about winning, its about making the cost of winning so high that its not worth it.

I suspect this would all have been hashed out in the original agreement

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

FilthyImp posted:

I think it would be pretty hard for them to argue that a character named MJ who has only been in Sony films counts as their property.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

LesterGroans posted:

I think it would be pretty hard for them to argue that a character named MJ who has only been in Sony films counts as their property.

No no, it would be easy, because only Disney has good lawyers.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I wont see a spiderman movie not set in the established MCU universe. I'm done with reboots. I didn't see the Andrew Garfield remakes, and I wouldn't even bother pirating Tom Holland sequels if they pull him out of the shared universe.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

LesterGroans posted:

Michelle Jones sounds like a pretty original character if you go by Spidercomics standards.

Hell, that's a good way to start tearing at Sony. I'm sure people would live Zendaya to be replaced by "the real MJ" (who is white).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

GORDON posted:

I wont see a spiderman movie not set in the established MCU universe. I'm done with reboots. I didn't see the Andrew Garfield remakes, and I wouldn't even bother pirating Tom Holland sequels if they pull him out of the shared universe.

Source your quotes.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

FilthyImp posted:

Michelle Jones sounds like a pretty original character if you go by Spidercomics standards.

Hell, that's a good way to start tearing at Sony. I'm sure people would live Zendaya to be replaced by "the real MJ" (who is white).

I mean, that would be a weak as hell argument, but even if she was an "original character" I'm still not sure why one from a Sony movie would belong to Disney.

Would Sony get to use Hiroyuki Sanada's or Joe Russ's character from Endgame just because the movie also features some Sony characters?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Interesting fact I stumbled across. Apparently in 2011, Sony sold back the merchandising rights for Spider-Man. So Disney. In a way, Disney doesn't lose in this scenario because if the Sony Spider-Man movies are successful they get all the merchandising money generated by the film's. And if the movies suck, then they aren't putting cash up for it anymore and they aren't using it in their franchise. And they may even be able to buy it back at a better deal.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So long as Sony keeps making Spiderman films, the rights never revert back to Marvel. So it was with the X-Men and Fantastic 4 until the fox buyout.

Which means we'll be seeing a lot of lovely, lovely, lovely Spiderman films until we die if Disney doesn't get the rights back, because Spiderverse being good was a fluke. Sony is loving awful.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

LividLiquid posted:

So long as Sony keeps making Spiderman films, the rights never revert back to Marvel. So it was with the X-Men and Fantastic 4 until the fox buyout.

Which means we'll be seeing a lot of lovely, lovely, lovely Spiderman films until we die if Disney doesn't get the rights back, because Spiderverse being good was a fluke. Sony is loving awful.

What, you didn't like Slender?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

LividLiquid posted:

They're getting Robert Richardson to shoot Venom 2 and Andy Serkis to direct it, so they're on the right track with their solo films.

With the MCU's help Sony has made two okay Spider-Man films and three bad ones over three years. I prefer their track record on their own.