Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

GORDON posted:

I wont see a spiderman movie not set in the established MCU universe. I'm done with reboots. I didn't see the Andrew Garfield remakes, and I wouldn't even bother pirating Tom Holland sequels if they pull him out of the shared universe.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

LividLiquid posted:

So long as Sony keeps making Spiderman films, the rights never revert back to Marvel. So it was with the X-Men and Fantastic 4 until the fox buyout.

Which means we'll be seeing a lot of lovely, lovely, lovely Spiderman films until we die if Disney doesn't get the rights back, because Spiderverse being good was a fluke. Sony is loving awful.

Spiderman movies would still be lovely under Disney, hth

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Weird how everyone says that they’re sick of Spider-Man reboots but also that Spider-Verse is a masterpiece.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Man, imagine being Tom Holland right now. They were planning on making him the star of the MCU. He was likely guarnteed a ton of movie deals over the next 10 years.

Now, he is either out of a job because they need to reboot it. Or he's going to join the ranks of Tobey Mcquire and Andrew Garfield, whose post-Sony-Spider-Man careers weren't great.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I'm pretty sure that Toby Maguire hasn't done much post-spiderman because Spiderman made him a multimillionaire who never has to take a job he doesn't like ever again

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I'm pretty sure that Toby Maguire hasn't done much post-spiderman because Spiderman made him a multimillionaire who never has to take a job he doesn't like ever again

I'm going to need a source on that.

And, even so, I doubt Andrew Garfield turned out that way.

Considering Tom was a new face, his initial contract was probably weaker than it could have been. The renewal would have been a good chance to push for a lot more money.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Pirate Jet posted:

Weird how everyone says that they’re sick of Spider-Man reboots but also that Spider-Verse is a masterpiece.

They mean they don't want to see Amazing Spider-Man style retreads where we see Uncle Ben die again and Norman Osborne (edit: and Harry Osborne) go crazy for a third time. With all that cut out, Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2 would probably be one-and-a-half movies long

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 21, 2019

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Covok posted:

Now, he is either out of a job because they need to reboot it. Or he's going to join the ranks of Tobey Mcquire and Andrew Garfield, whose post-Sony-Spider-Man careers weren't great.

This is phrased weirdly. He's either out of work or...he's out of work and his career is dead?

Also it's weird you're asking for sources when you seem to be basing all of your speculation on gut feelings. According to Sony they are moving forward with the path they were on which has Holland signed on for two more films.

Maguire and Garfield didn't just drop off the face of the earth, they are still young working actors, they just aren't headlining blockbuster movies. I'm sure they're happy with the paychecks they got and slightly disappointed they don't have guaranteed millions coming in each year but unless they botched up their finances they probably can live comfortably off the millions they made and the smaller (for Garfield "smaller" means a top billed role in a movie nearly every year since ASM2) roles they are still landing. It's not like they're the kid from Phantom Menace whose life was ruined by their roles or something.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Covok posted:

I'm going to need a source on that.

And, even so, I doubt Andrew Garfield turned out that way.

Literally the second hit on Google for Tobey Maguire net worth: https://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/celeb/actors/tobey-maguire-net-worth/amp/

Maguire made at least 30 million dollars off the Raimi trilogy not counting the backend, my guy, and Garfield is also a millionaire by all accounts. If anything, not being tied to the MCU is good for Holland, as Disney is infamously cheap about paying their talent and it means his schedule isn't clogged up with cameos and garbage bit parts in two dozen movies through his twenties.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

looooool yo Tobey made $40m from the world series of poker

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

TK-42-1 posted:

In retrospect, acting seems like an extremely useful transferable skill to high stakes poker

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea like others have said, this is standard superhero stuff. Holland had 2 solo films and appeared as Spiderman in 5 total films, that's pretty drat good and as an actor you can't really feel sorry for him.

Garfield was nominated for Best Actor in 2016, was in Under the Silver Lake last year and has another project in post production so he's doing fine.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

galenanorth posted:

They mean they don't want to see Amazing Spider-Man style retreads where we see Uncle Ben die again and Norman Osborne go crazy for a third time. With all that cut out, Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2 would probably be one-and-a-half movies long
Yeah, honestly, it almost feels like not having full control of Spider-Man pushed them to make more interesting and fun stuff focused on Miles and Venom respectively.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Covok posted:

Man, imagine being Tom Holland right now. They were planning on making him the star of the MCU. He was likely guarnteed a ton of movie deals over the next 10 years.

as opposed to his pre spiderman career.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

as opposed to his pre spiderman career.
Holland is like Hemsworth. They were always going to blow up on some level.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm just glad Andrew Garfield got to do Silence. That movie owns.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
he was really good in Hacksaw Ridge

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Garfield was in a drat Scorsese movie

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Holland has landed a lot of VA work recently too

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like people just don't understand both money and success in terms of acting.

Tom Holland can drop acting tomorrow and he'll still have been able to do roles that some people only dream of and have enough money than he never has to work again.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

galenanorth posted:

They mean they don't want to see Amazing Spider-Man style retreads where we see Uncle Ben die again and Norman Osborne (edit: and Harry Osborne) go crazy for a third time. With all that cut out, Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2 would probably be one-and-a-half movies long

It's not like they didn't try to add new things to freshen things up a bit.

Like Peter's parents being spies. I'm sure everyone here fondly remembers that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hear Garfield has his own restaurant now

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I hear Garfield has his own restaurant now

I dunno why celebrities seem to always latch onto the idea of investing in restaurants, it's a terrible idea.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I dunno why celebrities seem to always latch onto the idea of investing in restaurants, it's a terrible idea.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

sponges posted:

Garfield was in a drat Scorsese movie

MCU fans only recognize success in box office revenue and the strength of memes generated from the movie.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

It’s a really easy investment to understand and looots of them are run by friends/family who have always dreamed of running one. The dispassionate weirdos who invest in fast food instead of someone’s dream place actually make tons of money

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The real money seems to be in franchising. Shaq probably owns your local Five Guys.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Basebf555 posted:

I hear he even has his own app for it, dude's crazy

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Lmao

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I seem to recall reading that Tobey was also hard to work with on set and a bit of a dick despite looking like a sweet dork.

Incidentally, he has a bad back.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Darth TNT posted:

I seem to recall reading that Tobey was also hard to work with on set and a bit of a dick despite looking like a sweet dork.

someone photoshop the infamous tobey scream face onto lowtax in the hospital bed

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Darth TNT posted:

Michael Cera does a good job playing him as a complete psycho in Molly's Game.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Detective No. 27 posted:

The real money seems to be in franchising. Shaq probably owns your local Five Guys.

Yeah and Peyton Manning owns so many papa john’s it might actually be his main source of wealth

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah and Peyton Manning owns so many papa john’s it might actually be his main source of wealth

I think it actually is/was yea. I do wonder how much he may have lost in the past 2-3 years since Papa Johns really starting eating poo poo due to the whole Papa John being a racist rear end in a top hat thing. Also the resurgence of Dominos.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TK-42-1 posted:

Goddamn.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

DeimosRising posted:

He sold them all last year.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

He sold them all last year.

Oh did he? Probably means he lost a ton of money and wanted to cut bait. gently caress em.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is this from the movie Silence? That movie was so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

The ONE WAY sign pointing at the CLOSED restaurant is a nice little detail for emphasizing Peter B's dead-end life