Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I was going to say that Heaven Sent had the misfortune of being sandwiched between the two worst episodes of that season, but then I remembered S9 also has the Zygon two-parter and the Me two-parter.

Capaldi really deserved better (and Clara deserved better than Face the Raven).

I don't often hear negative opinions about Face The Raven, but I'd be keen to. What ground your gears? What got on your nerves? What trashed your trap street?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
While I like Heaven Sent, I also kind of hate it for being the penultimate Moffat having to leave his mark with dumb changes to lore episode.

The Doctor's childhood scenes in Listen were pretty unnecessary. Hell Bent's Gallifrey and suddenly useless and powerless Rassilon is just the worst.

But in Heaven Sent he straight up killed the Doctor. Full stop. The character we've followed for 50+ years died for the dumbest of reasons.

And then a duplicated lump of flesh strolled off with his face.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

It's easily Too Political = isn't focused on white men.

I've tried everything people have suggested but YouTube still seems intent on recommending me videos where the thumbnail is a picture of Daisy Ridley next to the title "THE PROBLEM WITH FORCED DIVERSITY".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
YouTube’s algorithm is weirdly focused on showing its users increasingly nazi-ish videos if you leave it running long enough.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't often hear negative opinions about Face The Raven, but I'd be keen to. What ground your gears? What got on your nerves? What trashed your trap street?

It’s more or less an okay episode in a vacuum and I understand why people like it, but the whole situation involving Clara’s death felt really cheap and forced. Doubly so since it was immediately reversed two episodes later. I also think Maisie Williams is a mediocre actor at best and I was already tired of her character after that two-parter earlier in the season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SimplyCosmic posted:

But in Heaven Sent he straight up killed the Doctor. Full stop. The character we've followed for 50+ years died for the dumbest of reasons.

It was made pretty clear (at least to me) in the episode that the Confession Dial was a closed system with the same energy being recycled over and over and over again throughout it. The Doctor doesn't die, he just burns his physical body and the energy within is reconstituted in the form it was in back at the start of the cycle when he first teleported in (hence him losing the memories).

The REAL horror for me of that story is that despite having no memory of previous cycles at the start of the next one, whenever it gets to the end he tells "Clara" that he always remembers "all of it" at that point. Suggesting that he's suddenly getting hit with the memory of all his previous cycles. That's another aspect of the torture intended to break him, the inescapable knowledge of the sheer futility of continuing to fight and just how long he has been doing this now.

Of course he does anyway, and succeeds, because that's one hell of a bird :hellyeah:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I report any far right bullshit that appears in my YouTube recommendations. I doubt it accomplishes anything but it makes me feel better.

I enjoy Heaven Sent primarily as a vehicle for Capaldi to show off as an actor. I don't think it's that compelling a story.

Hell Bent I like the idea of though I don't know if the execution quite works.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I do however love that the Doctor is enduring all that horrific torture for the sake of Ashilde (I hate the name "Me" for her) specifically after her role in Clara's death.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
The doctor's ludicrous level of willpower and determination is probably my favourite of his/her superpowers. The hyper intelligence and latest pulled-out-of-the-writer's-arse special time lord bodily functions can both get a bit tired, but the character's almost unreasonable ability to pursue a goal no matter what (usually Doing The Right Thing) is what makes the Doctor a genuinely good fictional role model

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Ah! The new thread title "DOCTOR WHO IS CANCELLED. NO REFUNDS" had me so worried my heart lept into my throat. I swear to gxd, op! :fistshake: :P

I sometimes think of the line "You have a 1% chance of survival. So what do you do? You concentrate on the one." its friggin powerful. thats the doctor who trait i most adore. optimism.
e: actually the line is "Your chances of survival are about one in a thousand. So here's what you do. You forget the thousand, and you concentrate on the one." but the sentiment is what i enjoy.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SimplyCosmic posted:

While I like Heaven Sent, I also kind of hate it for being the penultimate Moffat having to leave his mark with dumb changes to lore episode.

The Doctor's childhood scenes in Listen were pretty unnecessary. Hell Bent's Gallifrey and suddenly useless and powerless Rassilon is just the worst.

I can't imagine how the exact and only extant copy of the same character with the same memories is any more killing the Doctor than having him choke out his companion, encourage a child to return to his abusive father, or say how cool and good Amazon is.

rvm
May 6, 2013
Doctor Who is in a perpetual state of being ruined forever.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SimplyCosmic posted:

It's best not to think about the ethics of teleporters.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It's been a while since Eight's lost his memory!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/war-master-vs-eight-doctor

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

It's been a while since Eight's lost his memory!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/war-master-vs-eight-doctor

I’m surprised they held off this long! Although now I’m sad at the thought we never got John Hurt and Derek Jacobi on the same audio. :smith:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

SimplyCosmic posted:

Star Trek does this multiple times an episode!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
better never have character development either, that's the most egregious way to "leave your mark" on a show. how dare moffat write stories where things happen, he's so arrogant

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

The doctor's ludicrous level of willpower and determination is probably my favourite of his/her superpowers. The hyper intelligence and latest pulled-out-of-the-writer's-arse special time lord bodily functions can both get a bit tired, but the character's almost unreasonable ability to pursue a goal no matter what (usually Doing The Right Thing) is what makes the Doctor a genuinely good fictional role model

That's one of the reasons I love Day of the Doctor, in particular, so much.

Sieje
Jun 29, 2004

My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes.

"Change, my diaper.... and not a moment too soon."

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Lampsacus posted:

Ah! The new thread title "DOCTOR WHO IS CANCELLED. NO REFUNDS" had me so worried my heart lept into my throat. I swear to gxd, op! :fistshake: :P

I actually based the thread name on the opening line of a Goon-created(?) storyline from a WWE video game called “Regal, Stretched” where the thing cancelled is WrestleMania. I always found it hilarious, and I figured this was as good a time as any to reference it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SimplyCosmic posted:

Joke’s on you, that already happened to Five!

don’t listen to necromantea

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0792003/?ref_=nv_sr_1

W Morgan Sheppard, who played the older Canton Delaware in "The Impossible Astronaut", passed away.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Strained carrots?!?!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I was going to say that Heaven Sent had the misfortune of being sandwiched between the two worst episodes of that season, but then I remembered S9 also has the Zygon two-parter and the Me two-parter.

Capaldi really deserved better (and Clara deserved better than Face the Raven).
ah, but she got better than Face The Raven: she got Hell Bent!

SimplyCosmic posted:

this sounds similar to something a different man said, a long time ago...

quote:

WILF: Yeah, but I thought, when I saw you before, you said your people could change, like, your whole body.
DOCTOR: I can still die. If I'm killed before regeneration, then I'm dead. Even then, even if I change, it feels like dying. Everything I am dies. Some new man goes sauntering away, and I'm dead.
Capaldi was kind of defined by who he is compared to his other selves, so the way he uses the teleporter in Heaven Sent seems pretty apt for him. After all, there's nobody more experienced than the Doctor at "burning the old me to make a new one"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think no matter what you think of it it's clear that a lot of effort and thought went into Heaven Sent, which makes it pretty astonishing when Hell Bent reveals that the entire purpose of the episode was for Clara to, upon hearing about it, burst into tears and ask "why would you do that to yourself?" I understand having objections to Moffat messing with the lore, but you can hardly accuse the man of playing favourites with his own stuff after he put out probably his best episode- possibly anyone's best episode- and then seven days later, as part of the same story, recontextualised the entire thing as a ludicrous stupid stunt that an rear end in a top hat would do

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
a controlling codependent rear end in a top hat!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Saw someone on Twitter try to say that the problem with this series was that every ep revolved around the Doctor being a woman. He never answered when I told him to cite examples.

It kind of reminded me of people who said The New Girl was bad because Zooey was playing a "Magical Pixie Dreamgirl". There was no quicker way of revealing that they never watched an ep.

If there's a problem with the latest series, it's that they didn't do enough with the Doctor being a woman. One or two quick mentions plus some scenes in "The Witchfinders" and that was pretty much it. No doubt the fact that scripts had been written for "generic Doctor" before Jodie Whittaker was cast is the main reason, and I hope Chibnall shows some signs of recognizing the potential issues with having the first woman to play the Doctor be the one who is socially and emotionally aware and non-violent to the point of seeming powerlessness going into the next season.

marktheando posted:

I’ve started re-watching this silly show from the start again, rather than looking for something new to watch. Please send help.

An old man with white hair will be along soon to hit you in the back of the head with a rock.

Jerusalem posted:

It was made pretty clear (at least to me) in the episode that the Confession Dial was a closed system with the same energy being recycled over and over and over again throughout it. The Doctor doesn't die, he just burns his physical body and the energy within is reconstituted in the form it was in back at the start of the cycle when he first teleported in (hence him losing the memories).

The REAL horror for me of that story is that despite having no memory of previous cycles at the start of the next one, whenever it gets to the end he tells "Clara" that he always remembers "all of it" at that point. Suggesting that he's suddenly getting hit with the memory of all his previous cycles. That's another aspect of the torture intended to break him, the inescapable knowledge of the sheer futility of continuing to fight and just how long he has been doing this now.

Of course he does anyway, and succeeds, because that's one hell of a bird :hellyeah:

The expression on Capaldi's face when that wall shatters would retroactively justify the entire episode even if it hadn't been good before then.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

I sometimes think of the line "You have a 1% chance of survival. So what do you do? You concentrate on the one." its friggin powerful. thats the doctor who trait i most adore. optimism.
e: actually the line is "Your chances of survival are about one in a thousand. So here's what you do. You forget the thousand, and you concentrate on the one." but the sentiment is what i enjoy.

It gets brought up a lot and for good reason, but it's part of what makes Caves of Androzani so great.

"So I'm in a crashing spaceship plummeting towards Earth, I'm dying of some horrible poison, and some rear end in a top hat has a gun pointed at me... but there's a practical stranger on that planet down there who I only just met who needs help, so I'm not backing down!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The new episode was ok, but it's a shame that British police don't have radios, and the military only has one tank. The scene where the police person doesn't bother to even radio in that a weird thing is happening took me out so much that I didn't really even pay attention when Ryan was talking to his dad in the cafe.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

the military only has one tank.

Mike Watt borrowed the other one :shrug:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I’m surprised they held off this long! Although now I’m sad at the thought we never got John Hurt and Derek Jacobi on the same audio. :smith:

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll encounter one another in an IDW comic book or three. At least we'll have that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I was disappointed that we never got John Hurt vs Terry Molloy.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

rvm posted:

Doctor Who is in a perpetual state of being ruined forever.

Doctor Who General Wikia is Dead, Long Live Doctor Who General!

https://www.reddit.com/r/doctorwho/comments/8d8r32/times_doctor_who_was_ruined_forever/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Doesn’t cover Death Comes to Time where the Doctor literally dies.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Most affecting "Doctor Dies" audio is a Seven story that I won't give away, but has "death" in the title. The companions' grief in that one felt so real, and then it goes :smith: for other reasons. Holy poo poo that was good.

"Heaven Sent" holds that same kind of feeling throughout, which makes the ending of "Hell Bent" feel like even more of a cop-out. (Although I'm not as mad about that as I probably should be.) It also has one of the realest lines I've ever heard in Doctor Who:

Heaven Sent posted:

It's funny, the day you lose someone isn't the worst. At least you've got something to do. It's all the days they stay dead.

I think about that line a lot.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think Doctor Who is ultimately an optimistic enough fantasy show that it makes sense to take something that somebody has always wished for and put it on the screen: to express the horrible, sucking feeling that is the grief of losing somebody to that person, to let them know that you would do anything to have them back, and when they cry with sympathy about how much you're hurting, realize that you are grieving with the dead. It's a good follow up to a great episode about grieving.

Hell Bent has a lot of problems - it wastes too much time on Gallifrey and prophecies and the ultimately meaningless maguffin of "the hybrid" - but the emotional connection between the Doctor and Clara carries it for me. Peter Capaldi saying "I have a duty of care" might be my favorite moment for his Doctor.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Clara's ending was definitely more a problem in execution than in concept, and I was much happier when the Bill re-do, since it bookended the season (and Bill's run).

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I love the ending between them in the diner, where it turns out the framing story wasn't the Doctor telling the story of how Clara died to one of her clones, or to a memory-wiped Clara herself, but was instead the Doctor trying to piece together what memories of Clara remained to him. He felt like a confused old man, and I wonder if any of that writing- or performance- came from experiences of aged relatives with dementia. Try not to have your heart break as the Doctor says "if I saw her again I would absolutely know" and it's almost too much for Clara to take.

DOCTOR: *playing Clara's theme*
CLARA: You said memories become stories when we forget them. Maybe some of them become songs.
DOCTOR: That'd be nice. *starts playing a different tune*
CLARA: Yeah. It would be, wouldn't it.

Ever notice how Moffat always seemed to use other people's episodes for positive callbacks, and his own for negative? Even with Clara gone from his mind completely the Doctor remembers the Ice Warrior on a submarine and the mummy on the Orient Express. When Amy reminisces she talks about the pirates and Van Gogh. The dalek Rusty, of all characters, gets a cameo in Moffat's final episode. But when the Doctor doesn't remember something clearly it's The Girl In The Fireplace or The Impossible Astronaut. Time Of The Doctor brushes aside three years of his own lore because we're busy doing Christmas. I'd put it down to a kind of Scottish Cringe, but the guy who undestroyed Gallifrey and had the Doctor defeat Rassilon by standing still and saying six words must have some confidence

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
In no way is it a perfect episode, and Hell Bent is plenty messy, but it's one of my favorite episodes of the whole series. There's so much to love there; others have already mentioned that it brilliantly uses Heaven Sent by having Clara horrified when she learns what the Doctor did to get to her, but he also deposes Rassilon in the first fifteen minutes to do so. Which could be too much, but the staging of it as a Western and the scene of the Time War veterans throwing down their guns to join the Doctor is just brilliant.

The hybrid stuff is the weirdest thing, because I can't figure out if it's supposed to be a send-up of a series arc, an aborted series arc, a poorly implemented series arc, or a poorly implemented send-up of a series arc. In the end it doesn't matter because it's not much of a factor, but it's just bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hell Bent did manage to portray one of those locations you only really expect to see in a book, and never actually on screen. The final hours of Gallifrey before it all burns down is wonderfully evocative.