Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

AndyElusive posted:

I loved that talking frog, gently caress the haters.

It was genuinely the best thing all season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The doctor's ludicrous level of willpower and determination is probably my favourite of his/her superpowers. The hyper intelligence and latest pulled-out-of-the-writer's-arse special time lord bodily functions can both get a bit tired, but the character's almost unreasonable ability to pursue a goal no matter what (usually Doing The Right Thing) is what makes the Doctor a genuinely good fictional role model

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

SiKboy posted:

I like all of Matt Smiths seasons to a greater of lesser extent, but for my money his first season was overall the best of the revival so far.

By far, frankly.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I wasn't surprised when Davison said what he did. He's always struck me as a bit of a curmudgeon in interviews and things, in that solidly middle England, middle class, 'I don't want to think too hard or challenge my own opinions' kind of way.

As we all know now, C.Bakes is an all round class act. Meanwhile, Sly is a freak (and I mean that as a high compliment), and T.Bakes also seems to have become much more mellow and open minded in his old age. Davison is more 'normal', which often translates to having kind of lovely views

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Tangentially related, but that moment where all the Doctor's rage and hatred culminates in him breaking down and despairing,"They're all dead, Rose :negative:" in what I believe is the first explicit demonstration of his utter grief/guilt is an incredible moment.

My biggest Doctor Who kokoro wish is to see Eccleston portray the Doctor just one more time.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

The criticisms I've seen of series 11 from the left include a lack of moral/ethical core and LGBT representation coming largely in the form of bit characters saying "btw im gay" before being killed, as well as the bulk of character development among the diverse cast going to the white man. Basically a progressive shell disguising conservatism underneath

Which I agree with, frankly

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Also Matt Berry related - if you haven't already, watch the excellent Toast Of London to see Peter Davison as a beer swilling hooligan

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Awesome. This might make me give a drat about Big Finish again.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

It's good to know that show doesn't get better from when I immediately gave up on it and decided to watch Black Books instead. I like to think that it was mostly safe from the Linehan bigotry, but I've been afraid to rewatch it.

Nothing comes to mind that's more egregious than any early 2000s show. I think Dylan Moran had a hand in writing it, which might have offset Linehan's shittiness.

Like Mathews and Father Ted

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

No no no no no no no

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Doctor Who is mostly pretty progressive but it's ultimately floofy entertainment and is emphatically not the medium in which to discuss one of the worst crimes against humanity in history

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Android Blues posted:

Honestly I think it's probably good to talk about the Holocaust in all sorts of media. It happened, we should remember it, and while it should always be treated with sensitivity and respect (and I hope this episode will do that), I also don't think we should remand mention of it to serious, highbrow media. A lot of people don't consume serious, highbrow media - they need to be reminded of it too.

I can't say I disagree, you make very good points.

I guess I'm just concerned because I have sympathy with Adorno's 'no poetry after Auschwitz', while also recognising that treating it as a once-in-history unique occurrence lets things like Republicans attacking AOC for daring to make reference to it w/regard to current events anathema.

It's just not a needle I trust the current DW team to thread (and frankly neither of the previous admins either)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Eleven was Two reimagined

Twelve was Three reimagined

Thirteen...

Does this mean she's gonna stick around for a decade and eventually take over the show?

Thirteen is Five-ish.

I don't think Tom Baker can ever truly be imitated

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

I thought Ten was Five re-imagined

That always baffled me a bit, cause he doesn't seem anything like Five. Five was mild mannered and relatively unobtrusive, Ten was a histrionic cartoon.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

:same:

I’d hate to travel with Ten. I guess people will put up with the bipolar mess as long as he’s pretty?

Nothing wrong with being bipolar.

Ten's just a self-centred arsehole with very poor emotional control/maturity.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Apologies, I meant bipolar as just swinging randomly between manic states, not the actual disorder.

No worries man, I know you meant nothing by it. It's just a bit like the colloquial 'OCD', is all.

Jerusalem posted:

All this reminds me how much I loving adored 11 in season 5. I enjoyed Tennant as 10 but season 5/11/Moffat all felt like such a breath of fresh air. I still enjoyed the two seasons that followed but they had plenty of problems and issues with things getting repetitive, but goddamn was season 5 loving amazing.

That same energy permeated Day of the Doctor too.

Season 5 Eleven = best Eleven. When he's still a bit scruffy and nerdy/academic looking and awkward. Also even though he is/looks noticeably younger in his first series, it's also where Smith most seemed like an ancient old man in a weird young body.

He got slicker after that, and while that worked for Eleven's 'is basically a ludicrously powerful wizard' side, the portrayal did lose a bit of its early charm.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Also the Silence being confessionals makes zero sense. You forget that you told them your sins?

I mean, if the objective is to have something to hold over the confessor's head (it is) then it's an advantage if they don't know what it is they confessed to/that they confessed at all!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Finally got round to watching American Gods. It's very uneven but DW-wise my main takeaway was

1) Ian McShane would make an amazing Doctor (it's a pity he doesn't like sci-fi)
2) Crispin Glover is giving off some 11 vibes in this

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

SiKboy posted:

I can never take Ian McShane totally seriously when hes supposed to be threatening. There is a small part of my mind just going "C'mon dude, you're Lovejoy the roguish antiques dealer".

He'll always be, first and foremost, Al cocksucking Swearengen to me. And that's plenty threatening

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Seriously? You honestly think that would be Donna and Jack's reactions after seeing this:

I'm, like, 95% straight, but Paul McGann is a very, very attractive man. Both classic and (possibly even more so) current versions, to be honest.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Cool, sounds like latter day Big Finish then

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

The problem here is that the episode's gimmick (which they explain immediately, it's not a twist or anything) is that stuff is happening in the 60s and 70s at the same time. But the result is that in the 60s they have to ask Ace what is happening, and in the 70s they have to ask the Doctor what is happening, so you get double the exposition with more throughout the episode. Even at the end they have to ask the Doctor to explain the climax--it never stops

I caved and am listening and this episode loving sucks. Awful, awful, awful. It's exactly what you say, and it's not even a cast I could give the slightest poo poo about doing the exposition. The first story held my attention fine, and McGann really gets a chance to show off his acting chops (Oh, Paul McGann :allears:). This one I drift off every thirty seconds because it's so boring.

This whole thing is clearly a bit of a Big Finish love-in before it's a Doctor Who story, and I suppose that's their prerogative, but this episode is self-indulgent as all get out.

No-one cares about Counter-Measures

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Payndz posted:

Doctor Who fandom in general has an alarmingly high percentage of regressive, [X]-phobic, toxic bellowing shitheads, so it's not that much of a surprise. Look at all the venom that spewed out when Jodie Whittaker's casting was announced.

Nerds of all types and fandoms tend to be grotesque, to be honest. I'm not sure Doctor Who is particularly egregious, and it's always had a notably large queer following.

Big Finish is made up entirely of upper middle class white people, though, so it's disappointing but surprising behaviour on their part

Edit I mean their managing director is named Jason Haigh-Ellery, lmao

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Rochallor posted:

As much as I dislike Big Finish I'm mildly impressed that they're not even worse on social issues. The fact that a cadre of mediocre white men are at least embarrassed about employing a transphobe is a bit more than I was expecting.

Although looking at their wikipedia page it appears they've finally expanded slightly beyond the same crew of four white guys writing eight stories a month. Have they... gotten any better recently?

The stories? I don't know about writers, but as it stands the monthly ones are still pretty good, and all the 'event' ones - Time War, 8th Doctor, etc, etc - are trash. And actually now that I think about it those latter ones are definitely written by said cadre of white guys.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

well, I still think Paul McGann is cool

He is a living god and I love him and want to kiss him

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah early Big Finish was weird as hell a lot of the time and was much, much, much better for it.

Part of the reason I prefer the monthly series is that it's not desperately trying to ape the reboot. Well, not as much

Edit although yes sometimes this didn't work, like Minuet in Hell. Nekro was quite far into the range though. But it's excrable enough that it transcends time

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 26, 2019

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Capaldi's last season was good though. Obviously imo.

Whitaker is being deeply under-served by very anaemic/flat out poo poo scripts, unfortunately. Also I do have some reservations about her Doctor's characterisation so far

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Paul.Power posted:

Series 8 and 9 also have some drat fine moments too (Mummy on the Orient Express, Flatline and Heaven Sent, for instance).

Sho nuff but I'd also add that those are the only good ones in series 8 and 9

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

McGann posted:

Aw, I think I'm the only one who liked #2. But I also have listened to all of Countermeasures, which seems a rarity, so..

Gilmore is the best because he doesn't put up with all the silly sci-fi gibberish and just gets on with the job.

...but the last episode was definitely the only letdown, but it was made up by the massive fan service ending. Rest of em I enjoyed. Really sucks that we didn't get Jago/Litefoot/Six again - once I found out that was the original intention, it's hard not to want to get what we missed out on, even if the actual product is still good.

Surely, though, you have to admit the episode was 90% exposition babble and 10% character work of any kind?

The behind the scenes bit was for the most part the usual love in, but it did reaffirm the fact that C. Bakes is the biggest sweetheart on the planet. His bit in the big 'what does Big Finish mean to you?' section is lovely - he's so frankly, genuinely delighted that he finally got to play his Sixth Doctor, and so obviously grateful and enamored with the fans and the franchise as a whole.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yes

yes

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

They should get whoever that was to do One for BF, since David Bradley sounds nothing like Hartnell at all

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Latest BF Tenth Doctor Adventures - 'colonialists and anti-colonialists are just as bad as each other'

Also Tennant in nonstop full on relentless Scooby Doo mode. Even Wilf wasn't worth this

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

marktheando posted:

Well obviously, but CHUDs are specifically Trump supporters, I thought?

Yeah, pretty much.

There's a very strong case to be made for gammonry, though

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Telepath arc has the easy interpretation of "never help refugees they will just become terrorists"

Just like those Poles Muslims Zygons, then

EDIT - I still can't believe that two-parter got made

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Box of Bunnies posted:

It's just a shame he wrote Twice Upon a Time back in the 80s instead of here in the 2010s where all of Hartnell is easily accessible in one form or another, then

This.

There's no excuse, as DW showrunner and enthusiast, to not watch all Hartnell and to not even approximate his character. I could've written him better, and I'm just some random jackass

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Big Finish's Red Planets - 'In 2017 liberal democracy and capitalism are collapsing, ecological catastrophe is continuing apace, and far right authoritarianism is on the rise, but what if instead of this "petty politicking" [actual quote] instead there was communism :ohdear:'

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Someone itt a long while ago put it perfectly by saying 'the doctor is an immortal shape shifting alien who makes a policy of transgressing every norm and stepping over every boundary, why should gender be the one hard limit?', and they were quite right.

The Doctor is a set of values, and those values are unisex.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Tom's looking a bit gaunt

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Rochallor posted:

My takeaway so far is inverting the usual standard of quality scripts and acting produced on a budget of $16.50 so it's now in the business of lavishly bringing to life the most dire of farts, a status quo made even more agonizing by the actual good stories, Demons of the Punjab and It Takes You Away.

Yeah this is exactly how I feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

I absolutely adore Eleven as a fairy tale just like I love Twelve as a burned out former rock star and Thirteen's enthusiastic adventurer.

Doctor Who rules because it can be so many different things.

I liked Eleven best as an awkward crumpled academic, but that was only in his first season. What remained consistent was that he was also a loving wizard who made most of his other incarnations look like chumps.

I actually quite liked that Twelve wasn't as competent or confident, despite the bluster - it was all down to willpower for him. Like, his best moment was punching a wall for a couple billion years