Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Robert J. Omb posted:

Just an addendum to where Brits can watch Doctor Who...

BBC iPlayer has the whole revival series available as ‘Box Sets’.

Useful if, like me, you watched the New Year’s special with your four year old who now wants more episodes with “squiddies”. :cthulhu:

Read that as "Squidbillies" and now I'm imagining Unknown Hinson as a Dalek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
See I don't think you can take a "and so racism was ended forever" message from an episode where the bad guy is a racist from like the 79th century. The implication is that racism is still going well in the future, to the extent that some dude wants to travel back in time to stop a key civil rights figure from making headway.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I don’t truly dislike any era of Who- the worst I will say is that individual stories/episodes are not great- but I feel like during Capaldi’s run, Moffat was tired of traditional runarounds and was focused both on examining the Doctor as character (“Am I a good man?”), which did lead to some good moments, and constant timey-wimey twisting, which got to be a problem. Every so often you just want the Doctor to be the hero and solve problems, y’know?

So far Chibnall’s run has felt very much like back to basics, which means avoiding some of the excesses but also has meant not quite hitting the same highs either.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I mean it is difficult to maintain in the long run. How long does your average fascist regime last?

I can see how after generations they would try to ingrain their beliefs automatically and not just rely on their monoculture to do it for them.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
For the first few years of my following Who those edited videos were the only option. For a time I actually thought the show aired as 90 minute episodes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I ordered the DVDs from UK Amazon because I had a multi region player.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Like I knew that as explicit homophobia became less socially acceptable, transphobia would get louder, but I wasn’t expecting it to play out like this.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Doctor Mysterio was the name in... Japan I think?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Whittaker absolutely nailed it as The Doctor, she was fantastic. The actual season itself was very middle-of-the-road where overall it was fine but kinda samey. There are a couple of really good episodes and one legitimately spectacular one (It Takes You Away) but everything else just felt like a delivery mechanism for extremely good characterization of the TARDIS crew (apart from poor Yaz, who got the short end of the stick) and it was undermined by the constant use of THE REAL BADDY!

I feel like the past season was really kind of playing it safe, after Moffatt got very weird and kinda introspective his last couple of years. Just some straight up Doctor-saves-people stories, nothing too fancy- like, Rosa and Demons of the Punjab are sorta risky but in the "this might seem in bad taste" sense, not the "how do we present a coherent narrative" sense. It's sort of a retrenchment.

I feel like they were starting to get their groove on by the end (though It Takes You Away was apparently one of the first episodes shot, so that may not mean anything), and the special was good too, but... 2020, man.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

I never get tired of Doctor Actor is just The Doctor jokes.

I am increasingly convinced that, audition tapes aside, Jodie Whitaker got the job because Chris Chibnall said to himself “Who do I know who is possibly from another planet?”

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Sent in my Benny script Tuesday but still haven't gotten any kind of "We have received your submission" e-mail back. They're probably just a little overwhelmed by volume but hopefully mine got through.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I honestly really like the TVM theme with its triumphant Hollywood arrangement. It’s non traditional but fun.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Demons of the Punjab relates to Yaz but she herself doesn't get a whole lot to do in it. Not enough to compensate for her being in the background of other episodes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
With just a bit of the mind flip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I seem to recall even outside of that Owen was kind of a dick.