Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Well, not really. After a ten-episode series and a special for New Year's Day, we're getting another year with NO DOCTOR WHO. For the record, RTD produced 12 episodes per calendar year and Moffat produced 10.5 episodes per calendar year.

Now that we've got that out of the way, how was the past series? I'd categorize it as 'terminally fine'. Despite the bold decisions, there weren't any jaw-dropping moments that made you say 'Oh my God!', for better or worse. The Doctor's character was defined as an eternal optimist, Ryan and Graham bonded as grandfather and grandson, and Yas also traveled on the TARDIS. In my humble opinion, season 37 tried really hard to be Doctor Who. Alas, it felt like a show TRYING to be Doctor Who, and not Doctor Who proper. The actors played their parts to the best of their ability, don't get me wrong, but the writing took very few chances, if any, with conflict resolution. Instead, half the season relied on making humans the REAL villains. At least we got an interesting Dalek story!

Were there good moments? Oh, definitely. Were there moments that made me roll my eyes? About the same amount. We had a perfectly average season of Doctor Who. :geno:

So, now what? Well, there's new OLD Doctor Who, in the form of an animated reconstruction of the Macra Terror coming in March. Plus, with the Thirteen Doctor officially doing things on the show, tie-in material such as books and comics will now feature her and the fam. Of course, there's always Big Finish, but we'll get to that in a second. Other than that, there's jack poo poo!

The previous thread can be found here. Now for the formalities.

NO SPOILERS
By edict of the moderators, this is a SPOILER-FREE ZONE. Other than backstage stuff (hiring people), DO NOT POST SPOILERS. AT ALL. Even if the Washington Post reveals video of Donald Trump handing a big stack of government secrets to Vladimir Putin and one of the papers is labeled 'Martha Jones is a Rutan', DON'T POST IT HERE. If you must post about spoilers, go to the spoiler thread. Episode titles can be spoiler-y, so use discretion when discussing episodes yet to air. For example, 'Hide' doesn't spoil anything, but 'OH poo poo IT'S THE DALEKS' does.

WHERE DO I START?
Good news! This past series is a good place to start, beginning with The Woman Who Fell to Earth. If you want to watch the original series, there are plenty of places to start. You COULD start with An Unearthly Child and watch everything in chronological order. You could also watch individual serials of all the Doctors and determine which you like the best. Keep in mind, don't shotgun a whole Hartnell or Troughton in one go, or else you'll get complacent. Those 60's episodes are meant to be seen one at a time, and if you only just rented the DVD, wait a few hours between episodes.

The most popular serials for the original series you can jump into are:

First Doctor: An Unearthly Child, The Aztecs
Second Doctor: The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Enemy of the World
Third Doctor: Spearhead from Space, Carnival of Monsters
Fourth Doctor: Pyramids of Mars, The Robots of Death
Fifth Doctor: Kinda, Frontios
Sixth Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks
Seventh Doctor: Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks

WHERE CAN I WATCH DOCTOR WHO?
If you're an American, you're in luck! You can watch the original run of Doctor Who both on TV (Retro TV and some PBS stations) and online (via BritBox*)! Canadians get BritBox, too. If you're not North American scum, I'm sorry but you'll have to buy or rent the episodes on DVD.

For the current run:

ON TELEVISION
UK - BBC One (first run), W
USA - BBC America (first run), most PBS stations
Canada - CTV Sci-Fi Channel
Australia - ABC (first run), ABC ME, Syfy

STREAMING
UK - BBC iPlayer, Netflix
USA - Prime Video (moving to HBO Max in 2020)
Canada - Crave
Australia - Stan, Prime Video

*Day of the Daleks, Planet of the Daleks, the Five Doctors, Resurrection of the Daleks, Revelation of the Daleks, and Remembrance of the Daleks are not available, along with almost every serial missing at least one episode.

SHOULD I BUY THE DVDs AND BLU-RAYs?
Just for the bonus features alone.

THE NOT-AT-ALL BRIEF GUIDE TO BIG FINISH
There are literally thousands of Doctor Who and Doctor Who-related audio dramas released by Big Finish Productions. This is not a post telling you what audio dramas to listen to, because everyone has an opinion that is different from everyone else (some people like Minuet in Hell, believe it or not). This is a post telling you the basic info on the different series of titles there are. I'm only covering ongoing ranges, since devoting a paragraph to the Stage Plays seems a bit silly. If you're wondering why I'm about to spend a good portion of the OP about audio dramas, you are clearly new to the Doctor Who thread.

The Monthly Range
Since 1999, Big Finish have released, on a consistent basis, mostly standalone stories featuring the Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh (formerly including Eighth) Doctors. Up to 247th(!) release this month.

The Fourth Doctor Adventures
Tom Baker gets his own line of releases.

The Seventh Doctor: The New Adventures
Hey, remember the Virgin New Adventures? These take place during those! No, I don't know how to find cheap copies of those books.

The Eighth Doctor Adventures / Dark Eyes / Doom Coalition / The Eighth Doctor - The Time War / Ravenous
Paul McGann's Doctor also gets his own line. Goons love 'em.

The Tenth Doctor Adventures
David Tennant reprises his role in mini-seasons every chance he can get, and the results are very RTD-like. In a good way!

The Companion Chronicles / The Early Adventures
This is important: SOME OF THESE ARE NOT AUDIO DRAMAS. These are "enhanced audiobooks" for the most part, which means that one person does all the parts while another gives narration, but also contains sound effects and music cues. The Companion Chronicles originally were one-handers, but now may contain small casts, which the Early Adventure always have.

The Ones with Fake Doctors
The First Doctor Adventures, the Third Doctor Adventures, and the Doctor Chronicles feature people who are not the original actors playing the roles of the title Doctor. If you're OK with that, by all means give them a try.

Spinoffs
There are a ton of these, ranging from good (I, Davros) to who gives a poo poo (anything involving a companion from the audio series).

THE DISCORD
Here it is. The future is now!

FINALLY, let's take a look back....all the way to ten years ago! Or maybe 45?

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Why have they cast another tall and curly-haired Doctor with a big nose? It's lazy and safe casting - Baker is just Pertwee-lite! Besides he's far too young, he's barely 40! He probably hasn't finished off paying his mortgage yet.

Barry Letts-us-down AGAIN!

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Davros1 posted:

I feel it's disingenuous to not list the War Doctor in the OP

Again, not an ongoing series.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bicyclops posted:

The amount of effort that Jeru puts into providing us all with armies of free gifs and giving them all to us in a handy set of links is pretty cool when you think about it.

I'm just amazed he gets it on the first page every time.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Kerblam! would have been better had the bad guy not gotten what he wanted in terms of the company hiring more humans.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

marktheando posted:

I’ve started re-watching this silly show from the start again, rather than looking for something new to watch. Please send help.

Which start? :v:

In related news, I'm watching the reconstruction of the Myth Makers for the first time tonight.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Lampsacus posted:

Ah! The new thread title "DOCTOR WHO IS CANCELLED. NO REFUNDS" had me so worried my heart lept into my throat. I swear to gxd, op! :fistshake: :P

I actually based the thread name on the opening line of a Goon-created(?) storyline from a WWE video game called “Regal, Stretched” where the thing cancelled is WrestleMania. I always found it hilarious, and I figured this was as good a time as any to reference it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

2house2fly posted:

Star Trek gets a Stardate for each episode, Doctor Who has entire eras where it isn't clear what decade they were set in

:j: : I’m....from....the 21st century!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I hold off buying any contemporary Doctor Who box sets until they release the Complete (Doctor portrayer) Years sets.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's impossible to determine a person's intent online, and even if you COULD, there's also the issue of one's subconscious.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Counterpoint: there was no review-bombing campaign against Wonder Woman.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

remusclaw posted:

Counter Conterpoint: Wonder Woman wasn't a remake or a sequel to something terminally online shitheads claimed as an integral part of their childhood.

I was responding to the Captain Marvel remark.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I was going to post something, but cape flick talk belongs in Cinema Discusso. Regardless, one of these days we’re going to need to be able to separate the stories being told and the portrayers on the stage in big-budget productions.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Listen, I don’t care if 1976 Tom Baker was the Doctor in 2018, I DON’T GIVE A poo poo ABOUT TIM SHAW.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Lest we forget that RTD blew the budget for Eccleston's season on the second episode.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Resurrection of the Daleks and Revelation of the Daleks are getting novelization.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
"Things might be bad now, but 53 years later they elect a black man president!"

(ignores the next man elected president)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Tosin Cole looks unhappy. IS HE LEAVING THE SHOW?!?!?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Also, in the Battle of Raskor Av Kolos, where was the battle? The title promised a battle!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Tzim-Sha could've been a better villain if he hadn't had his name been made fun of as soon it was said. I mean, talk about cutting a character's legs off. When the helmet came off and it turned out he was a toothface, that was the moment that could've made the character. Instead, we got to laugh at a clown. Now, if he never showed up again, that would've been OK - just a random one-off to introduce a new Doctor. Instead, Chibnall brings him back as the series finale villain, who plots to destroy Earth! THE CHARACTER HE ALREADY ASSASSINATED NINE WEEKS EARLIER IN HIS ONLY PRIOR APPEARANCE.

Imagine, if you will, this scene played out in Terror of the Autons:

quote:

Rossini: Who the heck are you? Well?
The Master: I am usually referred to as The Master!
Rossini: Oh? Is that so, Big Nose?
The Master: Univers-wait, what?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
They're butterflies :ssh:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Narsham posted:

Sooner or later some daring writer will do "Redemption of the Daleks" and it will lead into the "Rebellion of the Daleks" and they'll be semiretired until some jerk writes "Recidivism of the Daleks."

The Cybermen suffer from the twin problems of being built upon both Cold War anxiety and concern about artificial limb replacements. Given how the pseudo-Amazon story went, it might not be desirable for us to get a proto-Google or proto-Facebook story reconstructing the dangers of the Cybermen as a purely software/connectivity/data problem. We need a new method of prolonging life or "survival" that involves giving up one's humanity for the show to explore.

We already had the Toclafane, and that episode was....not so good.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

CommonShore posted:

I just rewatched I AM THE MASTER and that is still so loving good. That specific scene, from the watch to the end, is probably the best thing from the RTD era, and they set it up so well throughout the season.

There aren't really any moves the writers could pull like that at this point, are there?

Nothing nearly as big, but that's because the Master is really the only notable member of the Doctor's rouges gallery that can be pulled off like that. The only other times a twist like that happened since then was the Name/Day/Time of the Doctor trilogy and when Missy turned out to be the Master. Plus, if the last series is anything to go on, Chibnall isn't going for any :tviv: moments.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Question for people who keep up with the Arrowverse: did Dinah Lance ever encounter Rip Hunter?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
MISSED OPPORTUNITY, CW.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Dabir posted:

what the gently caress is that moustache, is Moffat trying to get people to call him doctor who's Hitler

He looks like Blackadder II (had he not been stabbed).

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I have never cared much about any movie with the word ‘Ghostbusters’ in the title.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Fandoms are conservative in nature, if you think about it. It’s why so many people say their favorite James Bond is Sean Connery.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
If you watch a McCoy story after something from the Moffat era, you can see the parallels. Making the Doctor Not Just Another Time Lord might've been a bit too much when there were plenty of Time Lords running about, but when the Doctor's the only one it works unquestionably.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

corn in the bible posted:

have the fourteenth doctor be captain jack

That kind of would end any further regenerations, wouldn't it?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
There’s going to be a VR Doctor Who thing soon.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

LividLiquid posted:

What's the thread title all about?

It's a reference to the WWE 2Kwhatever Create-a-Storyline "Regal, Stretched" that opened with, IIRC, Vladimir Kozlov saying "WRESTLEMANIA IS CANCELED. NO REFUNDS." It was a joke in PSP for a while, and I figured that this was as good a time as ever to reference it, what with Doctor Who not being on the air until 2020.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I’m pretty sure Clara was made to be super-special so the 50th anniversary didn’t feature an ordinary companion.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The "base under siege" story hurt Episode VIII for me, mainly because it put the rest of the stories on a clock that they didn't need to have hanging above their heads. I'd go more into this, but this is not one of the 58 Star Wars threads on these here forums.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
DO YOU SEE WHAT'S HAPPENED, CHIBNALL?????

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Davros1 posted:

Syl's also doing a movie with Maisie Williams.

I want to make a joke about a war between Middle-earth and Westeros, but I can't think of a good one.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jerusalem posted:

10: It's sad Wilf, but she can't be allowed to remember, don't push her to remember, if she remembers she'll die!
Wilf: Very well :smith:
Donna walks in
10: Hello Donna, I'm the Doctor, do you remember me!?!

-The End of Time, Part 1

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Holding off until the Season 4 Blu-ray comes out.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Having Doctor Who on Pluto TV is delightful, except they air things in random order and tend to chop off the first 2-3 minutes of Episode 1 constantly.

You get what you pay for.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
For some reason, the End of Time is going to have a 10th anniversary cinema showing this August here in the States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Even money on the Doctor visiting the Crucifixion by series 14.