Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
better never have character development either, that's the most egregious way to "leave your mark" on a show. how dare moffat write stories where things happen, he's so arrogant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

a controlling codependent rear end in a top hat!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, this is mostly what it came off as to me, which isn't cool but to me is more just lazy than offensive.

The joke here is that they're undercutting his grandiosity by giving him a mundane name. That's a good joke, that can work, but it's the wrong punchline. You need to actually make fun of his big-talking bullshit, the things he clearly gave himself, rather than his actual name (think the Valeyard). Or, you make his name genuinely really long and unwieldy, and possibly self-chosen, and working around that is the joke (like the Slitheen planet, but I'm phoneposting so no way in hell am I trying to spell it).

Raxicoricofallipitorius

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Cracker Jacks are a kind of weird snack often bought at Baseball games and which have historically had lovely toy prizes included. It's a joke about the abundance and ubiquity of guns in the US.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Dalek Art is probably the same kind of art fascist movements have been producing for centuries - glory to the ubermench, look how pathetic all the lessers are.

Like a Ben Garrison cartoon.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Edward Mass posted:

Question for people who keep up with the Arrowverse: did Dinah Lance ever encounter Rip Hunter?

nope

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

If you're not mad about Gareth Roberts' virulent transphobia I don't trust you.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Davros1 posted:

They're also doing one called "Anomaly" starring "Gordy Lethbridge-Stewart", the grandson of the Brig. There's a big banner on the front that reads "Kate Stewart is Dead!"

Wow, yikes!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/Robritchie409/status/1107635311805427712

The animation on this recon is way better than previous efforts, I can't wait!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I mean it's not Ghibli but compared to previous efforts from that team in the same style, it's gone from "glorified motion comic" to "actual animation that informs and is informed by the performances". Which, for a Troughton story about conspiracies, is pretty loving important to get right!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

There's some stuff in The Writer's Tale about Alternate S4, and "Penny", a journalist companion that Donna replaced.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Penny did make an appearance in "Partners in Crime".

So I just realized something. The audio, "Davros", is chocked filled with references to "Diff'rent Strokes".

The company the Baynes' owned, "Trans Allied, Inc", shares the name with the company owned by Mr Drummond in the show.. Who was played by Conrad BAINS.

Martin Jarvis' character is ARNOLD BAYNES (Bain).
There's a character called WILLIS.
And a KIMBERLY TODD.

What are you talking about, Davros?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

you should re-examine that - examine why the same egotism and confidence and flaws that have characterized Doctors for years were unacceptable coming from Clara.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

She isn't a Moffat Mystery. The whole point of Season 7b is that the Doctor is loving up by treating her as a puzzle instead of a person, and there's no mystery at all in her years with Capaldi.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

There's no seasonal puzzle boxes in Capaldi. There's some misdirection but it's all about character motivations and development. If you think there's a puzzle box or a cosmic threat, you're not watching carefully.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The twitter account for the Dr Who Wikia has begun blocking anyone critical of its editorial policies, which now include the minimalization and erasure of LGBT terminology wherever possible. The Wiki still maintains categories like "Earth Vegetables" but regards queer representation as a "21st century concern" beneath its notice.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

on that note, @wackd is good people and you should follow them

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The season 10 story arc was cool because it's the only time Moffat ever tried to just have a story that was about characters evolving rather than being some convoluted timey-wimey mystery.

For the record, I'm not as enamored with season 5 as most of this thread. There's a lot of clunkers in season 5 and the finale is what started the whole SILENCE WILL FALL thing, so it's a stinker in my book.

series 9 was also about characters evolving but people either don't see past the facade of "the hybrid" or dislike the plot because clara and the doctor's codependence is a depressing thing to watch develop.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

they loving ruined all the Peri goodwill Piscon Paradox set up with the later six and peri stuff. just awful

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

my coat actually doesn't fit me anymore, i got too broad-shouldered.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

that wasn't a euphamism for weight gain i just got comparatively yoked from carrying heavy loads of foam swords every day for work

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

i dress like capaldi now when it's seasonable.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Levine is a reactionary twit, which doesn't necessitate supporting Trump but is derived from the same attitudes.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

go for it. looks cozy and being a turbodork is very in right now

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I can think of one, maybe two memory wipes in Moffat's era - Clara doing it to Twelve and I guess River getting manipulated by Kovarian?

I deffo don't think I'd call it a fetish because it's consistently portrayed as a violation.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

"A man is the sum of their memories"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

Clearly we need to retool Resolution as a silent film and see how that works

MENACING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU