Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Tom Baker's novel based on he and Ian Marter's script for a Fourth Doctor movie, Scratchman, comes out next week. Just preordered the audiobook narrated by Tom himself on Audible and am pretty keen for the madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bicyclops posted:

This is the year that EVERY Who companion learns to call Graham "grandad."

Finally, Susan returns!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I've finally been listening to Scratchman, taking my time with it more than I meant to so I'm barely half way through, and it's really good so far. The set up is creepy, there are some nice turns of phrase in the prose that set the scene, and Tom's narration is absolutely delightful. His cadence and the use of first-person really feel like he's right there, The Doctor, telling you this story.

Once it starts to get into exploring the scarecrow monsters a bit more it also gets into a bit of a feeling of

The kind of horror I'd like to see from the Cybermen. Like to dissonance of leftover identity in this passage here:

"She remembered these things, but she didn't feel any of those memories. They were all dull, faded like the pattern of a too washed plate."

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/WhovianFeminism/status/1097252270637379585

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

corn in the bible posted:

I think it's funny the three tenth sets are Donna, Rose, and Donna again.

I know it's because of scheduling stuff but I like to pretend that it's because Donna is objectively the best companion

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

SecretOfSteel posted:

I love ELO and I really, really enjoyed "Love and Monsters". Am I the only one? Is this like an "I am Legend" thing where I think everyone around me is batshit insane, but then it turns out I'm the real monster?

No, Love and Monsters is great. Apart from Rose berating the story's protagonist for being a bit rude to her mum right after his friends have just been eaten by a monster, and the tasteless pavement blowjob joke at the end, it's a lot of fun and a really enjoyable look at how people can be brought together on the periphery of the Doctor's existence, told through an endearing ensemble.

Everyone else is wrong. Linda forever.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I haven't bought any Big Finish in about six months mostly out of circumstance, but them bringing back James Dreyfus and being all pally with him on Twitter (where his bio includes "don't call me cis" and every second tweet is making GBS threads on trans people) sure makes me feel like consciously avoiding them going forward.

Like, hire Gareth Roberts to write something while you're at it why don't you.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

"Quelle dommage, transphobes!"

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Welp. Switching to straight currency conversion is going to make things cost 1.75x what they currently have been for me. A set I'dve bought in the past for $20, using today's exchange rate for example, will cost $36.96AUD going forward.

I understand why they're doing this, but that kind of increase is going to scale back what I would buy considerably if I wasn't already iffy towards them over the James Dreyfus stuff.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
James Dreyfus is doing the "trans people in bathrooms and changerooms are a danger to everyone else!!" thing on Twitter again the same loving day the story about a trans girl having her head stomped in with a boot despite being segregated into her own facilities came out.

I don't care if Big Finish recorded his appearance in the Early Adventures a couple of years ago before he started on this bullshit, I obviously don't expect them to shelve something they've already got ready for release, but the fact that they were pally with him while announcing it last month and are using his presence to promote it without saying anything about this hateful bullshit means I'm done with them and seriously side-eyeing everyone else that keeps lapping it up

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

corn in the bible posted:

I don't know who James Dreyfus is or what he did but transphobia's not cool

He was a nobody actor who played a campy gay roommate in a middling sitcom named after an ABBA song two decades ago, who is now enjoying a second life partially as Big Finish's First Master in ranges like the First Doctor Adventures and Early Adventures, and as a Transphobic Twitter Twat™ like Gammon Linehan

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Seems Gareth Roberts is officially writing Doctor Who media again, contributing to this Target-style short story collection.

So that's now both the audios and the books employing known vocal transphobes. Just need Gammon Linehan to write an episode for the next series to hit the trifecta.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cleretic posted:

Fortunately I think Graham Linehan would burst into flames the moment he wrote the first word of a script with a female Doctor, so we're safe from that one, at least.

Think of all the terrible, misogynistic jokes he could recycle from The IT Crowd, though! "Haha, the Doctor can't run down corridors anymore because her feet are mangled and bleeding because she's more concerned with her fashionable shoes!" "The TARDIS is landing in random places out of the Doctor's control because women don't know how to computer!"

Actually, when I put it like that, maybe Big Finish would want him for an Unbound: Exile sequel instead

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The worst thing that comes to mind is the "Fran's date realises that he's gay" bit that's a bunch of stereotypes but like, even there, it's not really playing up negative stereotypes, it's just a bunch of dumb stuff like 'he talks with his mum a lot, and calls a group of famous gay men fabulous.'

Gammon only worked on the first series and all the episodes he did were co-written by Dylan Moran and co-directed by someone else yeah, so it wasn't Full Force Linehan like we finally got with IT Crowd

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Gareth Roberts has been removed from The Target Storybook not only because of fan backlash but because other writers refused to have their work included in the same book as him. People like Bethany Black and Paul Cornell are actively speaking out against him on Twitter.

Good to see one arm of the franchise doing what Big Finish and their friends seem to refuse to do.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

I wish they could use the Murray Gold music in BF stuff. Jack’s theme in Torchwood is great.

I'm fairly certain they used the "here he comes in a ruddy great tractor" tune as the theme for The Lives of Captain Jack vol. 1

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cleretic posted:

I would've been reflexively 'oh gently caress no' before this last season, but Demons of the Punjab did show that they do have it in them to do this intelligently and respectfully.

I'm still not okay with it, if that's even what they're doing, but I'm not terrified of the result.

Yeah. After the Rosa Parks and Partition episodes last year I'm less apprehensive about the show touching on this subject

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rochallor posted:

Demons of the Punjab bodes well for this, the Rosa Parks episode definitely does not. If it's more along the lines of the latter, expect to have a great scene where the Doctor explains to an angry companion why they must not change anything or help anyone because it would damage The Web of Time (tm), but later mollifies them by taking them to a star named after Anne Frank.

I mean, the Rosa Parks episode is absolutely heavy handed in how it depicts American racism of the time and then tells the audience "things aren't as overtly bad as that anymore, but people like our companions still experience racism in modern Britain in this and that way which they discuss" (which, looking at the reaction to the episode by certain segments of the audience, was a necessary way to do things), but I don't really think "the Doctor insists that her companions observe and preserve human history rather than completely upend it then demonstrates that, while things aren't where we need them to be yet, progress has been made in the time since by taking them to see an asteroid that was named after the historical figure of the episode that actually exists in real life" is really a bad way for a pop sci-fi show with a vague "teach kids about history sometimes" remit to handle such material.

They didn't shy away from what things were like at the time (flippin' Emmett Till was acknowledged in Doctor Who in 2018), they didn't shy away from how things are bad in similar ways in our current time, they didn't have the Doctor and her friends as white saviours turning up to make things better for the black people of the time, they basically handled it as well as they could have. Certainly better than I think any of us expected when the set photos of Montgomery busses first leaked out.

And like, "the Doctor explains to an angry companion why they must not change anything or help anyone because it would damage The Web of Time (tm), but later mollifies them by taking them to [see that things slowly get better]" has been part of the show since 1966 with The Massacre, so I understand doubting it being handled well with events that occured within living memory, but that's part of what the show has been for fifty years

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 24, 2019

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rochallor posted:

The episode does do a good job of portraying American racism, and there is a tiny bit about how everything still isn't hunky-dory today, but that just begs the question of why there isn't an episode about modern-day bigotry. Regardless, the bigger problem with the episode is that is has the same structure that the latter half of the episode is under the impression that the most interesting story to tell about Rosa Parks is managing the number of people who are going to get on a bus. I can't even articulate how bizarre of a decision this is. Not only does it cut completely against the story of Rosa Parks, even if she was just a woman who got fed up with standing on a bus, that's still not a good story to tell!

I guess where we're just fundamentally disagreeing is that I feel like as long as Doctor Who can properly demonstrate the horrors of the period it's visiting, and ideally tie that into modern issues in some way, while allowing the actual historical events to play out mostly as-was with any sci-fi elements being tangential to the true history rather than directly "causing" or interacting with it in any way, then that's the best you could hope for from Dr. Who.

Like, I understand that the holocaust is singly horrific in living history, and that if you try to approach it wrong you wind up with the infamous Jerry Lewis Clown movie, but I think that it has been long enough, and that the fascist resurgence in modern times as seen in the use of concentration camps on the American border and in Australian refugee "detention centers" makes it relevant enough that something as straightforward as Rosa's "Dr. Who and her friends see the atrocity play out and compare it to modern times" is not only harmless but honestly kind of necessary. We're beyond the point where punching Hitler and shoving him in the cupboard to make a mockery of him and his ideology works.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 24, 2019

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
If you mean literally refilming them as close as you can to how they would have been, you're talking like 18+ hours of television, a good series and a half extra over what we already get a year. If you recreate whole stories where there's only a single episode or two missing to create consistency then that number balloons out. The BBC would never pay for it.

If you mean taking the premise of each story with missing episodes and turning them into a series of 45 minute David Bradley First Doctor Who episodes that'd probably be more feasible, and something that would be easier to sell to modern audiences, but it'd take a lot of reworking considering the stories involved are spread across three seasons of old show with a shifting Tardis crew makeup

Either way I personally don't like the idea. I loved the anniversary docudrama, and Bradley is a fine actor, but his portrayal of the Doctor is off from Hartnell's, and the characterisation of that Doctor in Twice Upon A Time was wrong from the actual First Doctor and honestly kind of insulting to the character and the era. And I'm still ambivalent towards that kind of recasting; William Hartnell was already recast as the Doctor, he was replaced by Patrick Troughton

If they were going to commission some kind of secondary series, I'd always prefer we get more televised Paul McGann stories or whatever

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

This story (or the final episode this scene comes from at least) can't ever possibly live up to the expectations in my head from listening to the audio, but goddamn do I wish I could see it.

Yeah, as nice as it would be for us to be able to just watch the darn shows, this scene was one where I felt like Peter Purves' narration and what was left of the TV soundtrack was a lot more affecting than what the BBC budget of the time would have let them actually convey.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

stratofarius posted:

What I'm trying to say is I wanna see one of the Doctors interact with the Muppets.

there's always this

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Big Finish continuing to announce new stories featuring James Dreyfus as the Master without commenting on his continuous, obsessive transphobia. Their website says the story was recorded March of this year, so it's not a case of "well we recorded this ages ago and couldn't just throw the work out" like previous releases but instead them choosing to continue to work with him well after his views were public

Into the bin with the whole company

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

The TARDIS needs a cat again.

Hard agree

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

To be fair to Moffat, Hurndall might have been the only version he knew too. He would have been a bit less than 5 years old when Hartnell bowed out. Aside from a few rarely shown reruns and The Three Doctors, he would have known One through Target Novels and little else.

It's just a shame he wrote Twice Upon a Time back in the 80s instead of here in the 2010s where all of Hartnell is easily accessible in one form or another, then

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

All of the Unbound stuff in there, except Exile, is at least interesting conceptually and a lof of it is really good.

Geoffrey Bayldon is a much better not-Hartnell than David Bradley

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1177357010553200640

the Short Trips range is on sale at Big Fin this weekend

I haven't really listened to a lot of them so I can't speak for most of the range, but the two narrated by Nyssa and Susan set in the Eighth Doctor Time War era (All Hands on Deck and A Heart on Both Sides) are quite good, the two Jackie/Handy ones (The Siege of Big Ben and Flight Into Hull!) are a nice look in on that relationship with Camille Coduri being amazing as always, and the two-part Jago & Litefoot Revival is an absolute treat for people fond of the intrepid investigators

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
the trailer shows an admirable effort on the part of the people involved in the project, and i don't want to come across as slamming on them because it's absolutely cool to see people putting in that kind of work, but it also confirms my belief while listening to the The Daleks' Master Plan that those creatures, especially on a cheap 60s BBC budget (or, here, a student project budget) are better left to the imagination in terms of how they infect and transform their victims. they're frightening when you listen to them and hear the effects and the implications, but once you actually see it on that level it becomes extra silly (i know "extra silly" is the show's bread and butter but like, for as cheap and silly as they are, something like the original Cybermen are friggin' creepy when you take their concept, voice, and everything all together. the Varga are just silly)

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

what even is the market for this kind of stuff now? like, in the early-mid 90s when it felt like the show was probably never coming back i can understand that people desperate for something Who-adjacent might watch Downtime or whatever, but now the show is alive (even with off years and bummer scheduling) so :confused:

LividLiquid posted:

Can somebody explain to me what that is? Because it looked so much like classic Who that I assumed the shittiness was on purpose.

it's an independent production (a movie, i guess? i dunno) using a creator-owned enemy from classic Who so that they can have something of a built in audience while sidestepping the BBC and the actual show licence and stuff. that company has made a number of them over the years going back to the 90s, and a fun fact is that Kate Lethbridge-Stuart was introduced in one of them

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 8, 2019

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
the first six series of Big Finish's Fourth Doctor Adventures are on sale

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1181636886063915008

i've only listened to the first couple of series, where my impression was that the stories themselves are mostly fairly rote and unremarkable but gosh darn it it's Tom playing the Doctor again, alongside Louise Jameson, John Leeson, briefly Mary Tamm before her untimely passing, and Lalla Ward presumably recording remotely, and as unremarkable as the stories can be Tom eventually finds his footing and puts a lot into it and it's an absolute joy hearing him play the Doctor again

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Payndz posted:

the Doctor isn't a wizard

""The scriptwriters sometimes try to make Dr. Who use expressions like "centrifugal force", but I refuse. If it all gets too technical, the children don't understand and they lose interest. After all, it's an adventure story, not a scientific documentary. And Dr. Who isn't a scientist. He's a wizard." - William Hartnell

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

They frequently gently caress up how they add the specials, putting them into the clearly wrong boxsets, and it makes me mad :mad:

i didn't mind when you'd wind up with them at the front of the next series' boxset, so like The Christmas Invasion in series 2 and so on. better than now where they just don't bother putting them in at all

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Burkion posted:

What the Doctor does is reprehensible and a low point for the character in my eyes.

I hate the entire contrived episode, the way it uses time travel, the way the Doctor acts and the unearned ending.

I will never understand why so many people are fine with that episode, but I won't rain on their parade either. I just cannot stand it.

Same-ish. I'm not super keen on The Girl Who Waited for similarish reasons

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
i don't think i watched any of the revival stuff after Back to Earth, maybe an episode or two of series ten. has it been any good?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I've been reading Paul Cornell's Target-style novelisation of Twice Upon a Time, about a third of the way through, and while having the character's inner thoughts in a way that you can't get on tv mitigates a little bit of the 'haha, what if the old Doctor was a pig' garbage I found in the actual show, and being a book means I can imagine the Doctor actually being the Doctor instead of David Bradley, there is just a complete and massive mischaracterisation of the First Doctor at the core of this story that it makes the whole thing just... ugh

Like, this paragraph here is pretty inconsequential in the scope of the larger story, but it kind of really exemplifies the whole thing for me:

quote:

"What are you?" asked the Doctor.

The First Doctor had half expected him to come out with some ghastly so-called witticism about 'seeing right through her', but from the look on his fellow Doctor's face, humour was not on the menu tonight. The First Doctor wasn't much for jokes. He recalled once when his friend Steven had attempted to explain to him a message contained within a 'Christmas cracker'. The whole business had taken the best part of an hour and the First Doctor hadn't been left much wiser at the end of it.

Cleretic posted:

It's just as good as the, like, middle third of Red Dwarf or so? When both Grant and Naylor were still in and they were really hitting their stride, and Rimmer was still there instead of AU Kochanski.

So yeah, still really good. Not 'great', but Red Dwarf was never 'great'.

Coolio, sounds like it's worth checking on then

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

It gets a little self-indulgent but it’s never not fun.

Sounds like Day of the Doctor alright :v: But yeah, that's the other one of these I've got lined up to read. That seems like it would be a good one for this kind of thing.

What I've read of this Twice Upon a Time one seems like a good adaptation of the actual episode of the show with a few nice touches of its own so far, I guess I'd just kind of hoped for it to do more in terms of getting the story's portrayal of the First Doctor more in line with the actual First Doctor and instead it's just going with what Moffat had on screen. Which, that's a me problem and an issue with my expectations and the content of the episode that it's adapting, not anything wrong with what Paul Cornell's actually written.

e: now that I've finished up Twice Upon a Time, I feel a lot the same about the story as I did when the actual episode aired. I like the core of the story and how it's just about the Doctors being introspective about life and death, about changing, and memories, and moving on. I like that there isn't really some baddie to beat; the antagonist, such as it is, really only exists to facilitate the theme of the story. I like the way it uses the Christmas truce . And in the written version specifically, I like some of the extra callbacks that are added like when the First Doctor is first doing the sexist poo poo thing that the story has him do, Twelve mentally chastises him by thinking 'what about Barbara, you prick, she was amazing and a dear friend' (paraphrasing) or how the text echoes the First Doctor's "it's far from being all over" when he's finally in the TARDIS regenerating.

It's just... a shame about everything else Moffat felt the need to inject into the character of the first Doctor that was never actually in the text of that incarnation. At least in the book omits the "I say, homosexuals!?" monocle pop that it was the episode

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 21, 2019

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Davros1 posted:

In book news, 13 meets Ace!

WRITTEN BY SOPHIE ALDRED!

https://twitter.com/thetimeladies_/status/1190039720102912000?s=20

Wicked!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

WELL!?!?! I'VE BEEN WATCHING GIVE ME NEWS! :argh:

The problem is that you're assuming that time is a strict progression of cause to effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
or maybe the space is quantum locked and by watching the space we're actually delaying the news :ohdear: