Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
DALEKS DO NOT READ OPS

this much is obvious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That episode took a hard turn from "some kind of monster that you can't see you if you don't look at it maybe?" to "talking to a frog in a chair"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also

Just, the gently caress is wrong with the Kerblam man episode

Like what the gently caress was even- the entire ending feels like it was tossed in without thought or comment. THE CORPORATION *MURDERED SOME ONE IN REVENGE* Doctor! Stop acting like the corporation is in the right!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

None of that happened.

Payndz posted:

RTD at least had a new Doctor to play with for his second year

Pretty sure at least some of that happened

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

It’s a pretty common belief amongst racists that race relations problems in the US began with the civil rights movement messing everything up and that everything was fine before then.

That's because the real problem with the episode was that they focused on the wrong racism.

Which sounds loving weird to say but it was my core problem with the whole thing. People back then weren't loud angry super racists, including common waitresses and literally any single person around.

There was a 'polite' racism, a societal racism that still runs pretty heavy in modern society. You couldn't get away with drat near beating a minority in the streets of a big town for literally no reason- that was from earlier times. No, at that point everyone had to grin and get along and barely put up a facade of tolerance.

That's why the whole protest sparked such a reaction because

Look it's a whole thing but basically I really dislike the Rosa episode because it transformed the situation into such an obvious black and white "Look at how much better we are now" look at racism, with the only nod to the fact that the VERY SAME RACISM that was rampant in 1950s Alabama is STILL a problem, even and ESPECIALLY in the modern day UK

But they probably didn't want kids to really think about that part too much

Also that post is loving stupid

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

people got lynched literally that year and nobody was ever arrested for it, you idiot

Not in broad daylight in the middle of town

I'm not talking about what nasty bullshit was going on in general, I'm talking about what we specifically see in the episode.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

people literally ran freedom summer workers over with a car iirc

Let me clarify exactly what my issue was, because I think that's been lost.

My issue was not how racism was shown- or rather, it was the fact that literally every single white person in the entire episode that is from 1950s Alabama WAS super racist.

The one dude, the old people, sure whatever, the cop most definitely

But the waitress?

She shouldn't have been presented as the problem. For as lovely as the laws were, the Doctor and company came into this restaurant that was very clearly racist, but she's given zero sympathy. This would have been the one time to show a working woman, which is ITSELF a whole thing in 1950s Alabama (let alone 1950s in general) as sympathetic even if she still has to kow tow to the racist law of the land. Have her be frustrated that this group of people are making her already lovely day at work worse, not just belligerently racist and also mistaking an Indian woman for a Mexican

Because if literally every single person we see in the episode is so super racist and ready to pop off, without exception, that means that there is no one to relate to. Which is kind of a problem, because no one nowadays, no one in the modern day, that actually watches the show and enjoys it, is going to look at this episode and wonder 'is this still a serious problem?'

They're not going to wonder if maybe they harbor some residual toxic thinking, because THEY aren't cartoonishly racist. Clearly we as a people have gotten better!

That's part of what rubs me the wrong way about the episode. The one bit of modern day racism we get is brought up super briefly in one of the only Yaz related dialogue moments. There's very little nuance on screen that might make a kid stop and go "is this still a problem, can I recognize these traits in myself?"

"Is there a situation where I would knowingly or unknowingly conform to racist ideals just because they are part of the societal norms?"

That's my issue with it. If the waitress at least had been shown in any kind of sympathetic light, I wouldn't have minded as much- but she's just as hyper racist as everyone else, rendering any kind of lesson you could take from this pointless.

Which is also a bit odd given how intertwined feminism and the civil rights were in the 60s, which maybe should have been touched on more. Instead one of the only people just as oppressed as the minorities around her is brushed off in the same tone as the screaming jackass at the start and the hateful olds at the end.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 22, 2019

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait they're filming a brand new season this year

but not releasing it until next year some time

Why

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

Post-production and editing: It's A Thing.

For that long though?

Filming on Who doesn't take TOO long, you'd think they'd be able to start airing the new season late this year.

If filming started some time in the summer, I could see it. It's still January.

Is there a particular reason they're pushing off airing it all until next year?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The sad thing is, if you swapped the genders that they're complaining about, I'd probably believe they were being genuine

There's a lot of weird loving people

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
With Davros in Genesis, and pretty much ONLY Genesis, it makes sense for what he's become.

He's clearly been scarred and destroyed by the war more than almost any other- lost his arm, his ability to move, his eyes, and has been seriously disfigured. He IS the proto-Dalek, who were ALL like him in one way or another originally.

The problem is that it keeps happening- see, Lumnak or whatever his name was, the Cyber-Not-Davros

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Payndz posted:

He didn't lose his eyes. He was just too lazy to use them until he fancied watching the sunrise with his arch-enemy.

(There was so much :wtc: in that episode, it contributed heavily to my giving up on the show about halfway through the season. Davros just needed the right encouragement to open his perfectly normal and healthy eyes, which turned out to be merely a bit crusty? The whole "my chair is my vital custom-built life-support system without which I'll die in moments - nah, kidding, you can toss out my half-body and ride the thing around like a dodgem"? The way the story minimised disability - often for laughs - made me wonder if it was written by loving ATOS.)

Here's the thing about Davros

Dude was only actually good in Genesis of the Daleks, and after that he's just been varying degrees of Not As Good.

Some times he's just kind of funny and eye rolly, just a whatever sure fine character.

Other times, he's an awful mess that muddies up and dominates the entire Dalek story to the point of insult, or worse is actively insulting to even have around.

The original Davros, Genesis Davros, was a multifaceted monster of a man- but still a MAN. A person. He was just as human as any of the other Kaleds or Thals, just warped and twisted by a literal lifetime of war. He had seen, literally and figuratively, more horrors than any other and was twisted to one singular purpose- to ensure that his people survive.

We see how that worked out in the Non Doctor Timeline, the original time line.

Dude creates the Dalek travel machines, the Kaleds mutate into the Dalek Mutants and take refuge within and they become the classic series Daleks that we know and love to hate across the 60s and 70s, with the first Dalek he 'creates' becoming the Emperor, if you want to go that far with it.

The Doctor changed things. The Doctor forced the whole war to go a different way- instead of stretching on for another generation or two where the mutations took hold and they became the squid brains Davros knew they would, everything was sped up and Davros just started genetically engineering the mutants ahead of time en masse.

But he's still a person. He's doing this because he genuinely sees no other way. Peace is more than illogical to him, it is impossible. His body is proof of that. And Davros has, in Genesis, honest compassion for those he cares about. His final moments are those of revelation- he was wrong.

The Daleks are wrong. They are monsters, ruthless and soulless, worse than anything. His final act before being killed by his own creations was to decry their brutality and attempt to end them himself.

The other two good Davros stories are that one Big Finish story where he has a sitcom lovers quarrel with the Doctor and the Journey Home where he's kept as a pet by the Daleks.

And every single Davros appearance after Genesis completely and utterly ignores the fact that the Davros of Genesis of the Daleks does not and DID not approve of what the Daleks actually, truly were. Davros held no loyalties to any power structure, no, but he did value people. Even if for skewed reasons, he saw worth in those 'lesser', worth in loyalty and compassion.

The Daleks have none of what remains of Davros' humanity. And the moment he came back, neither did he. Instead he just became a cackling super villain who only served to water down the Daleks and make them less interesting

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

It's also optimistic in its way: look at how much effort fascism takes!

Naivety and optimism are often confused

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Mengelez posted:

but let's be real for a second, the term "retarded" implies a person who's intellectual and emotional development has been severely stunted for whatever reason.

like an adult who watches children's television.

Could you try harder please?

At least be funny?

Like a little? I tried to report you for being boring but apparently that's already been done so I thought I'd just ask you face to face

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's like you're trying to communicate but you don't know how to

it's kind of fascinating.

Anywho how is Big Finish doing these days

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

docbeard posted:

Not really digging this Love and Monsters sequel tbh.

I just wish it was better written

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Archyduchess posted:

gently caress you?

He's a troll soon to be dealt with.

His one failing was being more boring and low effort than a concrete slab blowjob

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Mengelez posted:

*yawns* ah another boring troll who thinks DR WHO is an inferior show. *sucks on capri sun* better pm a moderator and get this chucklefuck dealth with so we can get back to arguing over which splatoons to jerk off over in peace.

See I know you're trying to make fun of me here but I'm not sure exactly how?

Like is this supposed to be insulting? Like you've been around man, you should know how to troll. Are capri suns even a thing to anyone anymore?

Shouldn't you be going on about drinking designer wine or something while smoking e-cigs or

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Mengelez posted:

you're a grown man in power ranger pyjamas yelling "i'm not owned! i'm not mad!" at your monitor because someone called "doctor the who" a bad show on the internet lmao.

Are you okay man? Do you need to talk about something?

You keep saying things, but they never seem to actually connect from point to point and you just seem to be losing steam. Maybe take a break, get the juices flowing again. Everyone has a dry spell. Look, just come back when you have better material, maybe like, find something more original to try and flail about, and it'll work out better.

It's okay, everyone needs a break from time to time. If it just isn't working, you don't have to force it

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Harlock posted:

Personally I'd be happy if the Daleks and Cybermen go away for a while. Unless there's a truly great story, I feel like we have been circling the drain lately of the same motifs and themes.

That's been the Cyberman's go to gimmick for the last (Checks when the Invasion was made) 50 years

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

It's funny the same kind of people who don't want their entertainment to be "political" have also decided that any kind of diversity in casting is a "political" act, such that the mere inclusion of a woman or a person of color in something is an expression of ideology. You wonder, if a guy asks to bring his boyfriend over, if these people bemoan how the party suddenly got political.

I was talking with a friend about the new Twilight Zone series and before I could get into why I'm really hopeful and excited for it, he commented that he didn't think it was going to be good because it was probably going to be too social issues-y and too heavy handed

And I just

What?

It's the loving Twilight Zone. If it isn't that at least HALF the time, you've failed utterly at what you're doing. This was a show that hated racists and Nazis almost as much as Mel goddamn Brooks.

Then you see these chucklefucks complaining about similar stuff with Doctor Who, which has ALWAYS took a hard stance against facisim and being a lovely person and argued towards the better nature of all people, and you have to wonder what the gently caress they ever took from these properties

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have no real reference here as I've never seen a James Bond movie, but on a very related note, Kirk is definitely my favorite of the Captains.

But that owes more to OG STar Trek not really giving a poo poo about the science a lot of the time and not being up their own rear end about their made up poo poo and just being good sci-fi adventure stuff.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Like, do you remember the Third Doctor's reaction to the Brig's solution for the Silurians?

It wasn't uproarious applause

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Man I gotta say, it's so weird looking back at Adric as a companion to 4. It worked so much better than with 5, even though the bulk of his run on the show was with Davison. There was a really interesting dynamic between 4 and Adric, and I wouldn't be surprised if a large part of that wasn't the actor being intimidated by Tom and that coming across in his performance.

A well earned intidiation that is EXTREMELY NEEDED for the smug little know it all Adric could sadly become

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

An "original" "Dalek" "prop" from the Dr Who "movie" was "found" and "restore" to its "original" state.

https://twitter.com/hellothisisivan/status/1105764393357373441

So I'm not clicking this link because I get the feeling this guy might be a chode from your post

But that doesn't even REMOTELY look like one of the movie Dalek props

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am fine with fan projects to colorize, and am tentatively fine with creators colorizing their own work if that is something they genuinely want to do.

But there are a lot of movies that were made to be black and white, even after color was an option. High Noon is an excellent example, where the director fought to his dying day to keep the film to his vision of black and white.

And of course immediately after it got colorized.

That's the kind of poo poo that's reprehensible.

Some movies just work better the way they were intended to be.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
On the subject of how making movies black and white that were originally color can be a good thing

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My biggest problem with those Cyberman masks is that they weren't lovely ENOUGH.

The material they used was more restrictive than whatever ski-mask they bought wholesale in the 60s, which didn't let them emote with their mouths like they used to.

This is a wonderful complaint to have, for the record

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
See they're getting hung up on what I was getting hung up on over

If the filming is going to be done relatively early in the year, how long does the post production take that it won't get released until next year?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What, you're being obtuse man.

She was 100% treated as a Puzzlebox Mystery Woman.

it doesn't help that she also had NO consistent character in her first (half) season. Season 8 pulled it back and made her a real person with a personal life and stuff and they then dumped that in season 9 where I don't think they even pay lip service to the fact that she was a teacher or what happened with Danny or anything really, mostly because the season was too caught up on twisting itself around the ultimate non twist that was never a twist at all.

The Hybrid poo poo was a nadir of self referential bullshit and I don't care if that was the point, that still meant we had to sit through a bunch of self referential bullshit.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

I actually think they do a pretty good of transitioning her out of her grief into a new life in season 9.

It's more

So my complaint there is more a broad "Clara has no real grounding as a person, beyond season 8"

We get to meet her family once in Time of the Doctor, but that's treated so much like a gag and barely given any set up. The way she talked about her family in 7, I had always assumed they were dead and she was alone

And then after that brief moment of meeting them, they're gone.

I think one of them shows up again to console her over Danny?

Clara just doesn't have anything to really ground her especially in season 9. And I guess that was intentional, given how her story goes, don't want people to go 'so why is she abandoning her life' but that's how it goes. Its not something I agree with for companions- we already have the Doctor as the dude abandoning his life and running away from their problems. Let her shoulder that.

Companions work best when they remind the Doctor why she travels and helps where he can. When they have a Jackie or a Brian.

But by 9 they were dead set on making Clara 'Also The Doctor' so whatever.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Harlock posted:

It should have had all the companions get together to give the Doctor their energy so he could spirit bomb the Daleks

that was Time of the Doctor

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m sure there are legitimate non-chud fans who take umbrage with the Disney films for various real reasons,

*Waves*

Mind, cross out the 'The' there. I've never actually seen any of the new Star Wars movies besides Rogue One, which was Fine.

I'm not a huge Star Wars guy and I hate Disney just on principle and have for y-e-a-r-s. Nearing a decade on that one! I actually think I'd like Last Jedi if only because of how many lovely people it made cry.

I have one friend who is one of those "he's not a bad person, but he holds some deep seated ugly views that he doesn't realize he holds and he's afraid to actually think about and confront them" types. Like I say that in a mean way but I do mean it genuinely, he isn't actively regressive and whatever- but he is. Deep down. Mostly due to his own lack of introspection and whatever. He rides hard on the "She's a Sue" train and that things are bad because they're bad. Trying to argue that kind of logic is doomed to failure because it isn't wrapped in any actual logic.

It's born from an emotional response to something that he's not even fully aware of and any time some one pokes that bear it gets into a whole other debate that's easily sidetracked and cliffaced. So I can say with some minor assurance

Even if some of the CHUDS genuinely, honestly, truly believe they don't have an issue with women and try to argue the merits of the film

They might still have an issue with women that they themselves are blind to. They wouldn't attack some one for being a woman, they wouldn't do other nasty things- but they are resentful and don't fully understand why. And reaching those people is not your job, nor is it anyone elses. If you can try to make them understand, that's great, but for most they have to see it in themselves to come around.

And the loudest ones are the ones that DO actively belittle women and think they're lesser and how dare this franchise ever feature someone that isn't one to one relatable for me and they deserve every bit of scorn and hate they get

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

Is it me or do these colour schemes work better?

They do.

They're not candy colors that are obnoxiously bright and shiny

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The impressive part is that each and every one of them are unique.

Sometimes they make one by accident and just change the Daleks to another alien.

Rumor has it that's how season 12 was made entirely.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LividLiquid posted:

My regeneration's going pretty good, though I have yet to explode into a ball of fire that's capable of destroying my time machine as well as a whole Dalek fleet yet inexplicably leaves my clothing intact, so I'm feeling a little ripped off.

Eh you never even know if your clothes will still fit, so it's a blessing in disguise

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Every time we try to make a young Tom, the software rejects it with the error message,"Initial subject must be human."

This is why we had to use the wax statue in Day of the Doctor

Reality rejected all their other methods

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FreezingInferno posted:

That just makes me wonder about the alternate universe where Pertwee played Doctor Strange.

Well he wanted to, but Vincent Price beat him to it

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vinylshadow posted:

The misogyny and sexism was a bit much

Was One's era really that bad?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hartnell's Doctor was, if anything, very speciesist

At first

He never seemed to consider much difference between men and women in terms of ability, with his biases instead going to Susan is obviously superior than you because she's a Time Lord and you're a dumb stupid human.

And then a dumb stupid human kept him from acting like a savage and proved to be a better person than he was, species be damned, and he cooled off on that considerably. He was still grouchy and angry and more than a bit willing to tear some poo poo up, but never was he racist or notably sexist.

The fact that the team running the first Doctor's era was possibly some of the most progressive of the *ENTIRE* franchise is one of the biggest reasons I loving hate what Moffat tried to shove down our throats, because if you want sexist, unappealing, lovely Doctor behaviors?

Just look at how he'd write Eleven around Clara before he seemed to wise the gently caress up and cut it out.